The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

An Enraged Platypus

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Dual Wield Bacon

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

Mumpy wrote:Theives guild stuff/ advice needed.
Spoiler:
Does anyone know if it's actually possible to improve nightingale armour? I have a load of void salts, but nothing doing on the workbench.

Spoiler:
Do you have the Arcane Smithing perk? If not, then you can't upgrade it.
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

Got 100 smithing and all the relevant perks, The armour shows up as per usual, I select it, and the game claims I don't have any void salts. Just as if I were trying to improve dwarven stuff without a dwarven ingot. Probably just on my side then. Gutting.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

You can try dropping the salts then picking them back up. It might be something got marked for a quest? Though I'm not sure how that works for crafting components.

I do remember I had to drop/pickup to activate a quest when I already had the thing the person wanted...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

Mumpy wrote:Got 100 smithing and all the relevant perks, The armour shows up as per usual, I select it, and the game claims I don't have any void salts. Just as if I were trying to improve dwarven stuff without a dwarven ingot. Probably just on my side then. Gutting.

Are you on a quest for the Captain of the ship in Dawnstar? Apparently that interferes with Void Salt detection.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:32 pm UTC

I think I might be, I also have some 'Fine-cut void salts' or something. I might finally get around to clearing out my miscellaneous folder then.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

Yeah, that's the quest. It's a bug, basically. Go finish that up, and you should be good to go.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

Awesome, thanks.

Chewbaccawacca
Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

So, so far I've only been playing through as a Nord two-handed heavy warrior (yeah, the add campaign got to me bad) . My next play-through I'm planning on maybe going Kajiit assassin/ranger, or Argonian thief. Just wondering has anyone played as these two races, and if so how do they stack up to previous TES games?
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

The races don't make a big difference compared to previous elderscrolls games. Argonian assassin was my first playthrough and I was really disappointed that I couldn't attack or cast spells (or sprint, or sneak) while in water. And I've never really needed waterbreathing while playing as other races. It seems like you can hold your breath longer in skyrim than oblivion.

But being a lizard dragonborn is fun. ;)
-Adam

not baby Newt

Postby not baby Newt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

My Khajiit archer/assassin is doing great. The sharp claws help in nonviolent barfights(!). Nighteye.. works, has some distortion that feels feral but makes it less useful, also there are no dark places. At all. So I don't use it.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 pm UTC

Oh yeah. The light adjusting is cool but WAY overdone. I'd make the adjustment period longer and have the dark end much darker.
-Adam

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

not baby Newt wrote:My Khajiit archer/assassin is doing great. The sharp claws help in nonviolent barfights(!). Nighteye.. works, has some distortion that feels feral but makes it less useful, also there are no dark places. At all. So I don't use it.

Put your monitor in front of a window facing West and play in the afternoon?

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
not baby Newt wrote:My Khajiit archer/assassin is doing great. The sharp claws help in nonviolent barfights(!). Nighteye.. works, has some distortion that feels feral but makes it less useful, also there are no dark places. At all. So I don't use it.

Or mod that shit!

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4323
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Chewbaccawacca
Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:44 am UTC

Yeah, I remember waterbreathing was something of a big deal for me in Morrowind and (somewhat less) in Oblivion. But even as my nord all I need to swim to the bottom of Skyrims ocean (and the wrecks down there!) are a couple of pots. I was hoping it would be cool or useful on the poisons aspect, but ah. I LOVED the acrobatics of the Kajiit in Morrowind, and (again) to a lesser extent in Oblivion. Not sure how it'll work in Skyrim, but I'm hoping for the best!
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:03 am UTC

This one thought the racial ability of Kajiit was to craft skooma?

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 am UTC

Chewbaccawacca wrote:So, so far I've only been playing through as a Nord two-handed heavy warrior (yeah, the add campaign got to me bad) . My next play-through I'm planning on maybe going Kajiit assassin/ranger, or Argonian thief. Just wondering has anyone played as these two races, and if so how do they stack up to previous TES games?

My first character was a Khajiit mage and did fine. Their racial abilities are pretty bad, though. Claws is mildly useful, since it lets you completely destroy anyone foolish enough to challenge you to a brawl. Night eye is utterly useless in vanilla because, as mentioned, there are no dark places anywhere. I turned it on once at the start of the game just to see what it looked like, and haven't touched it since.

In general race doesn't matter too much. Redguards might have a marginally easier time as warriors because their power lets them regenerate stamina and they start with some extra skill points in weapon and armour skills, but it's a pretty small difference, particularly since you only get the power once per day. You can do fine as any class with any race.

Chewbaccawacca wrote:I LOVED the acrobatics of the Kajiit in Morrowind, and (again) to a lesser extent in Oblivion. Not sure how it'll work in Skyrim, but I'm hoping for the best!

Then prepare to be disappointed, because everyone jumps the same height in Skyrim.

broken_escalator wrote:This one thought the racial ability of Kajiit was to craft skooma?

No, I'm pretty sure it's stealing things. They took "inability to use first-person pronouns" as a flaw at first level so they could put extra points in stealth.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:04 am UTC

The racial ability of the Altmer is being taller, so I went with that for my 2H warrior. And apparently something to do with magic? Whatever.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Koa

Postby Koa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:Claws is mildly useful, since it lets you completely destroy anyone foolish enough to challenge you to a brawl.

I've never lost a brawl, even as a mage on the highest difficulty. It's kind of silly.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

Koa wrote:
EmptySet wrote:Claws is mildly useful, since it lets you completely destroy anyone foolish enough to challenge you to a brawl.

I've never lost a brawl, even as a mage on the highest difficulty. It's kind of silly.

My first one at about level 3 was tough, but after that? Yeah, I brawled three times last night and I don't think anyof them got me below 95% health.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

It's mostly a time-saver. I just cheat and give myself the extra damage perk from the heavy-armor tree. Oh wow, a perk whose only use is to shorten brawl time? Yeah, that's way more important than bows staggering my enemies.

I'm thinking of starting a mage, but cheating and giving me all the spell mastery perks for half-price spells. In penalty, I shall not enchant any items for free spells.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:09 pm UTC

Well... it is a prerequisite of the perk that makes heavy armor weightless when worn...... but yeah, without a more robust Unarmored, it's kinda pointless.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:10 pm UTC

Jesus there is a lot going on right now.

Go back to Ivarstead from my first visit to High Hrothgar. Get challenged to a drinking contest, wake up all the way in freakin Markarth, which I've never been to before. So I just start wandering around, planning to go to Rorikstead to finish the quest started by the drinking contest, when I end up witnessing a guy try to stab a woman. (Truth is I tried to kill him but my running power attack made me end up missing him and hitting the woman BEHIND the woman he was trying to kill. So I had the guards after me and had to do it again. I succeeded in saving her life the second time.) So now I'm wrapped up in the entire Forsworn conspiracy. Oh thank heavens for Clairvoyance. And then I end up wandering into a house with a Vigilant of Stendarr and killing him, so I have that too. But now I'm in jail for the whole Forsworn quest line.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

That part of the game was really fun. :D
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

Yeah, I also got the Hangover quest before ever having been to Markarth, and so ran into a similar number of sudden new quests. I felt it fitting, though, because it just sort of added to the whole craziness of getting there in the first place.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

I also randomly completed the drunken night quest, which I found strange. Like I was in some building, completing something else, and I stumbled upon the end and I was like "oh... uh... ok. Who the fuck are you? Oh right, that douche who got me drunk so I'd fuck over strangers. Thanks... I guess."
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 am UTC

emceng wrote:
Koa wrote:

My first one at about level 3 was tough, but after that? Yeah, I brawled three times last night and I don't think anyof them got me below 95% health.

Well, I haven't played as a non-Khajiit mage, so I wasn't sure if brawls would be something regular mages might have difficulty with.

gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, I also got the Hangover quest before ever having been to Markarth, and so ran into a similar number of sudden new quests. I felt it fitting, though, because it just sort of added to the whole craziness of getting there in the first place.

Same here.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:09 am UTC

Speaking of the Forsworn... Is there any other ending to that quest OTHER than freeing the Forsworn from jail? Because I was trying to play this character according to what I think are correct moral decisions. And I don't think it's possible to do that with this quest. The Nords apparently drove them off their land, but they're also committing acts of terrorism.

Nor is it possible to take the Stormcloak/Imperial "party line" as freeing them is not something either side would want, but by the time you find out Ulfric is their enemy you're pretty much too wrapped up to just walk away.

Anyway, I don't think it's possible to show my face in Markarth ever again. God that was confusing.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:01 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Speaking of the Forsworn... Is there any other ending to that quest OTHER than freeing the Forsworn from jail? Because I was trying to play this character according to what I think are correct moral decisions. And I don't think it's possible to do that with this quest. The Nords apparently drove them off their land, but they're also committing acts of terrorism.

Nor is it possible to take the Stormcloak/Imperial "party line" as freeing them is not something either side would want, but by the time you find out Ulfric is their enemy you're pretty much too wrapped up to just walk away.

Anyway, I don't think it's possible to show my face in Markarth ever again. God that was confusing.

You can totally show your face in Markarth. NPCs sometimes say "I heard you were spotted with the Forsworn. That can't be right.. can it?" and that's about it.

As for the other ending...

Spoiler:
Kill everyone in the mine. Whazisface Silver-Blood lets you out and gives you a ring.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:42 am UTC

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:08 am UTC

But it turns out I was a terrible mage without all my sweet gear so
Spoiler:
I had to kill all of them in the thin sliver of time after they gave me back my stuff but before they made their final escape. It was a pretty sweet backstab.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

Spoiler:
In both my runs, I've done it up till the point where Madanach asks you to kill someone, then killed Madanach and ran off with the key. Works fine.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

not baby Newt

Postby not baby Newt » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

It is midnight. I cant see anything. Good.
I bring out a torch. Still dont see anything. uh...
Noon. Still blinded. gaah.

omgryebread wrote:Or mod that shit!
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4323

This one is excellent. Using the 6b version, without external post processing. Used http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5253 earlier, possibly prettier but bad for framrate and load times (???).

Markarth:
Spoiler:
As I rememeber it the forsworn somehow took full credit for all the alleged crimes I was sent to prison for.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

Holy crap, that realistic lighting mod makes the game SO AWESOME. Dungeons are exciting. Torches, magelight, and night vision are useful. You don't actually know if there are draugrs sleeping in the little nooks, and lots of times the only things you can see are their glowing eyes. It's hard to see pressure plates and other traps. When you sneak you actually feel sneaky and not just that the mooks are blind. I sort of understand why they made the vanilla game have unrealistic lighting, because not being able to see in the dark can be frustrating. But seriously, install the mod right now. You can easily uninstall it if you don't like it.

Ha, and I just completed the Markarth quest
Spoiler:
By killing the guards who killed Eltrys, donning their guard armor, and walking nonchalantly out of the city, never to return. It was only later that I realized I didn't incur any bounty by killing the guards.
-Adam

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Postby Xeio » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:08 pm UTC

Apparently there is now a Hi-Res texture pack available. Not sure exactly how to install since it doesn't show as a separate game entry, but I think it was the 3GB download I triggered for skyrim but it was being wonky and I didn't have time to really see if it installed at lunch.

Also, the creation kit is out. Nothing in the workshop quite yet, but soon, probably.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:34 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Also, the creation kit is out.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

Ok, so if I want Morokei's mask to complete the set, I have to go through the Winterhold College's quest line, despite me being a fighter, that only uses destruction magic on low level enemies, the occasional healing spell and liberal use of clearvoyance? I really want to complete the set...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

Times you need to absolutely positively no way around it use Magic in the Winterhold College Questline (that I remember at least) - 3 instances

Faralda, when you try to get in the door. And she's kind enough to even sell you the spell for pretty cheap.. 30 gold, I think, for whatever the spell is. You can often save a couple hundred gold that way.

Tolfdir, when he makes you the test subject for the Ward lesson. Might be tricky, but I've been able to do it with pretty low Magicka at the start of the game, so you should be able to do it too.

During a certain quest, you have to focus some lenses by casting Flames or Frostbite at them - the lowest level Fire and Frost spells. Everyone starts with Flames, and there is always a spell tome for the ice one in the room... and I think maybe the fire one too, just in case. There's no time limit or anything either, so it's not a big deal.

It's fine. You can be the Arch Mage and still not be entirely certain on how to cast Invisibility or Fire Bolt.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

You also have to cast that ward in the practice lesson. It actually was quite tricky, because I could only hold it up for a really short time, so I had to time it right.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

Crap, I forgot that, and remembered another. Revising!

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

Yeah, I already checked out the college and am passed the introductory stuff, I think I now need to find a few books. And I do have some basic fire/ice/lightning spells that I train on lower level enemies that I don't need to use my greatsword on, I have a destruction level of about 35 and a restoration of 30 or so, but no real perks. But I can zap/freeze/burn restless draugr to death, for what it's worth. So I'll then play through the college as well, since I do use magic.

I just refuse to do the Dark Brotherhood (killed them all a long time ago) and Thieves Guild, since my character is mostly honest. I do have a very high lockpicking skill though, since I'm opening every lock I can find (except those on houses. Usually).

Also, can anyone think of a reason goats sometimes spontaneously become hostile towards me?

Return to “Gaming”