The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

The Scyphozoa

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

They don't have CHIM. Isn't CHIM supposed to be a metaphor to mod tools? You can't mod an MMO.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:49 am UTC

I kinda interpreted it as awareness you're in a game, but yeah, that's a big part of it too. Not sure any more, that's a nice explanation at least.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:37 am UTC

It also means that, upon realizing you are in a fictional world, you gain power over it. It's possible that this is how Tiber Septim became a Divine. Of course the player in TES games (generically, "the Dragonborn", "the hero of the Oblivion Crisis", similar titles) may have this awareness, but modding could be thought of as the only way to access it in-game.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:50 am UTC

Actually, while we're talking lore- what do y'all think the canon ending for Skyrim will be? Will we get another Dragon Break to tie up all the loose ends? Considering you're winning a huge civil war and
Spoiler:
possibly assassinating an emperor
, it seems like there's plenty to resolve.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 am UTC

Not really. Most likely there will be a Thalmor invasion making the outcome of the civil war meaningless.

As for CHIM, it's the understanding that you are a part of the Godhead's dream, not an independent character at all...and continuing to exist in the understanding that you do not exist.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:39 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Not really. Most likely there will be a Thalmor invasion making the outcome of the civil war meaningless.

Laaaaaame. I'd rather have the Empire kick the Thalmor out (plus an implied "Skyrim rejoined the Empire" for the players who joined the Stormcloaks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

The alternative is another Dragon Break, leaving Skyrim in the Empire with Ulfric as High King after having lead a successful rebellion, and the Dovahkiin fighting for both sides.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

guale

Postby guale » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:It also means that, upon realizing you are in a fictional world, you gain power over it. It's possible that this is how Tiber Septim became a Divine. Of course the player in TES games (generically, "the Dragonborn", "the hero of the Oblivion Crisis", similar titles) may have this awareness, but modding could be thought of as the only way to access it in-game.

Saving and loading your game is also a way to access it and possibly being able to pause to drink potions rapidly.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Perhaps. Then I guess the only access to it in TESO will be the ability to vanish from the world at any time of your choosing and reappear in the same place later.

guale

Postby guale » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Being able to travel anywhere you have been instantly with no time passing is also a staple of MMOs that could possibly count.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

Wayshrines will be used for fast travel in TESO. Magic teleportation. I doubt they'll have the same fast travel from Oblivion and Skyrim, that would be too convenient for an MMO. Gotta have those timesinks.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Speaking of silly deep lore, I hope there's at least some explanation as to why 50 bajillion people will suddenly be walking around with CHIM once TES:O comes out.

The dragon shat in the throat of the goddess, as the ants-that-carry-the-world were wowed by the crickets of the cold and started singing, their starved forms soon to join the ever increasing pile.

So it is said.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:40 am UTC

Okay...I FINALLY got a decent hotkey setup for dual-wielding non-identical weapons. It took some doing, and since I put so much effort into this, I thought I'd share it. It's only useful if you want to dual-wield weapons that aren't the same (say, two daggers with different enchantments).

This method requires a mod that requires a plugin, and another thing that's sort of a mod but is different from other mods and also requires a different plugin.

Spoiler:
First you need Skyrim Script Extender, just in case you don't already have it (I assume most people here use SkyUI). Copy the .exe and 2 .dll's into your Skyrim install folder. You will need to launch using skse.exe, not TESV.exe or the launcher. If you're using Skyrim Save Helper (which I recommend), you can set it to launch skse.exe instead of the default. Don't get freaked out by all the extra files in your save folder - there will be one .skse for each .ess, they're used to store settings for the mods that SKSE uses. Skyrim Save Helper ignores them, and everything still works perfectly fine.

SKSE allows you to use More Hotkeys Please, which is a really awesome mod whose only real shortcoming is dual wielding. I didn't have any problems using the beta version of it, I think some people might depending on which version of SkyUI you have. If you don't use the beta, you'll have to go through a slightly different step setting up the cycle, which I don't know how to do. I'm sure it won't be too hard to figure out, though. Install More Hotkeys Please by unzipping the download and putting everything in it (minus the .txt file) into your Skyrim install \Data folder.

Now you need to fiddle around with your load order a bit...Try launching SkyrimLauncher.exe, disabling both More Hotkeys Please and SkyUI, launching the game through skse.exe (not through the launcher), then going back to the launcher and enabling the mods again. You might have to repeat variations on that a few times until the More Hotkeys Please option shows up in Mod Configuration (among Save, Load, Settings, Controls, Quit).

You can use this screen to adjust the timing on some of its functions such as double tap, cycle, and press and hold. You can also use it to create the hotkeys, but I don't recommend it. The mod adds a spell which activates a wizard for creating hotkeys.

Equip the spell and cast it and a menu will come up. Click "Cycle". Click OK and press the key you want to use. For this example, I'll press 1. Another menu will appear, click "Single Item". Open your inventory and equip your first one-handed weapon. A menu will ask you if you want to add another to the cycle, click "yes", close and open your inventory, and equip the second one-handed weapon. It doesn't matter which hand you put them in, because this mod can't remember which hand to put weapons in (but it works fine for spells!)

To fix this, you first need Script Dragon. In that download's bin folder are 10 files, you only need 2 (the .dll's). Copy them into your Skyrim install folder. Script Dragon allows you to use Dual Wield Hotkey Fix. This download comes with an .asi and an .ini that you put into your Skyrim install folder. Open the .ini and change the key=0x24 to whatever key you're using in More Hotkeys Please (in this case, 1, so I'd put key=0x31 according to the list of key codes in the .ini).

Now, in the game, you should be able to double tap 1 to equip BOTH weapons. Press 1 again to switch which hands they are in.

Now this made Skyrim crash on me ONCE. But I think that's a rare occurrence.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Wayshrines will be used for fast travel in TESO. Magic teleportation. I doubt they'll have the same fast travel from Oblivion and Skyrim, that would be too convenient for an MMO. Gotta have those timesinks.

So, Morrowind Online?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 am UTC

guale wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:It also means that, upon realizing you are in a fictional world, you gain power over it. It's possible that this is how Tiber Septim became a Divine. Of course the player in TES games (generically, "the Dragonborn", "the hero of the Oblivion Crisis", similar titles) may have this awareness, but modding could be thought of as the only way to access it in-game.

Saving and loading your game is also a way to access it and possibly being able to pause to drink potions rapidly.

The drinking potions theory always confused me. It's pretty obvious that a time-hole for a restless warrior would be pausing, quitting, and doing something else - I guess the potions factor in to that in some respects, but a game mechanic not reflecting real life doesn't count. In recent TES games, NPCs chug potions instantly - the CHIM is in the knowledge that it doesn't make sense.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

guale

Postby guale » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:13 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
guale wrote:

The drinking potions theory always confused me. It's pretty obvious that a time-hole for a restless warrior would be pausing, quitting, and doing something else - I guess the potions factor in to that in some respects, but a game mechanic not reflecting real life doesn't count. In recent TES games, NPCs chug potions instantly - the CHIM is in the knowledge that it doesn't make sense.

I had honestly never thought about that aspect that closely. Very good, Sir.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

It's implied the emperor can quicksave. See "the dragon" metaphor.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Reminds me of Zero Punctuation on Oblivion: "Jean-Luc Picard walks up to my cell, sees the camera floating behind my head, and says, 'Oh shit, you're the protagonist. Guess it's time for me to die.'"

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Came back to Skyrim recently - I'm constantly amazed by how much new stuff I'm still finding after 250 hours.

I can heartily recommend the "Warzones" mod - adds a bunch of random skirmishes to the wild, making the country feel much more alive and well populated, even if it is mostly Stormcloak Soldier vs Imperial Soldier brawls.

Almost emptied my quest log of all but the auto-repeating quests, so I suppose it's time to buy the Dragonborn DLC...

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Hey, I have a lore-related question: what exactly happened to Atmora? Up to the time of Ysgramor, it was populated with men and the first settlers to Tamriel came there to escape political problems, not the kind of thing you'd expect to completely depopulate a continent. Was there some event that killed or drove off its human population, or isolated it from the men of Tamriel? I've been reading around but I can't find anything about present-day Atmora.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:16 am UTC

Atmora is a frozen, uninhabitable wasteland, at least in the Third Era when it was last known to be visited. I believe this is mentioned in the Pocket Guide to the Empire 3rd Edition and nowhere else.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

IcedT wrote:Hey, I have a lore-related question: what exactly happened to Atmora? Up to the time of Ysgramor, it was populated with men and the first settlers to Tamriel came there to escape political problems, not the kind of thing you'd expect to completely depopulate a continent. Was there some event that killed or drove off its human population, or isolated it from the men of Tamriel? I've been reading around but I can't find anything about present-day Atmora.

It froze. It got colder and colder and colder - Ysgramor was basically part of the last "Get the hell out of this frozen hellhole" emigration wave back to Tamriel. Now, it's uninhabitable.

Why? No clue.

It may be currently inhabitable, it's just that no one has gotten around to checking it out lately.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
IcedT wrote:Hey, I have a lore-related question: what exactly happened to Atmora? Up to the time of Ysgramor, it was populated with men and the first settlers to Tamriel came there to escape political problems, not the kind of thing you'd expect to completely depopulate a continent. Was there some event that killed or drove off its human population, or isolated it from the men of Tamriel? I've been reading around but I can't find anything about present-day Atmora.

It froze. It got colder and colder and colder - Ysgramor was basically part of the last "Get the hell out of this frozen hellhole" emigration wave back to Tamriel. Now, it's uninhabitable.

Why? No clue.

It may be currently inhabitable, it's just that no one has gotten around to checking it out lately.
There were arguably people there in the late second era, since that is supposedly when Tiber Septim was born there before coming to Tamriel. Either people have died off since then or the Arcturian Heresy is true and Tiber Septim was born in High Rock.

The orthodox account would leave 3704 years between the last verified Atmoran immigrants (who were mostly dead when they arrived) and the eventual arrival of Tiber Septim.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

The second one. The Heresy thing. Hjalti Early Beard of High Rock became Tiber Septim.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Welp, DLC is half off, and Nade just started playing again for no particular reason, which inspired me to buy and download it.

Time to add to my 344 hours of playtime.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Just got Skyrim and every DLC for $20 over Thanksgiving. So far the only problem I have been having is that merchants don't have enough gold to buy my loot. Is there anything short of getting a couple of perks that will help with that?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Just got Skyrim and every DLC for $20 over Thanksgiving. So far the only problem I have been having is that merchants don't have enough gold to buy my loot. Is there anything short of getting a couple of perks that will help with that?
Nothing will ever help with that. As you get better speech perks, you'll find better loot and you'll get better prices when you sell. It's a terribly vicious cycle. :cry:
-Adam

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

My only advice is to sell stuff when you're buying things. Bulk spending ends up giving the shopkeeper plenty of money :)

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:17 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:My only advice is to sell stuff when you're buying things. Bulk spending ends up giving the shopkeeper plenty of money :)

Yeah, that's really the only way. Buy (a) really expensive item(s) before selling and then the shop will have a lot more gold. Often not a good method though if you want to keep all your really expensive items :roll:
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:02 am UTC

One legit way to do it without the perks is to buy several levels in something from a trainer who also buys whatever you want to sell, which will give them the money needed. It will of course mean you're trading goods for experience rather than for money, but it's still a trade.

The other way to do it is to zero out their money, walk outside the shop, walk back inside (which autosaves twice), then kill them, then reload from the last autosave. Their inventory will be reset and they'll be back up to whatever their base cash amount is. It's a bit cheaty, perhaps, but not quite so cheaty as using console commands or the like.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

A Lydia problem I am having that I am unable to find anywhere else on the internet:

Lydia has no more swords. I gave her a very nice sword with enchantment and it's just vanished. What's more, the default steel sword has vanished (confirmed with console and "inv"). I can't find any information about what conditions or console commands can reset Lydia's inventory. I tried dismissing her and waiting 50 hours in a different cell to see if that would reset her inventory. I also tried removing her default bow in the console, because a few sites say when a default item is removed it is automatically replaced. Instead that bow is permanently gone too. Doing disable/enable in console also did not help.

The resetinventory command successfully added back the steel sword, but it is not part of the hidden inventory so it might get lost again.

Looking in the construction set, it appears the "hidden inventory" is shared between all housecarls and includes just the armor. As far as I can tell, Lydia's bow just miraculously happens, because there's nothing in the construction set to indicate she has one.

The fix for "Lydia has no sword" is therefore to be more careful and not remove her sword. Just documenting this here in case anyone else has the same problem.
<Cheese> I love you

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Yeah... Skyrim has dodgy rules on follower weaponry. Aela would never accept anything past her imaginary hunting bow, but I gave her fancy daedric artifacts for melee weapons without a problem :/

Don't know about any fixes, sorry.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

I think if you do kill/resurrect along with disable/enable, it resets stuff more fully?
---

(he/him/his)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Well, resetinventory did the trick, as far as it is possible. Lydia and the other housecarls appear to be broken by design.

In other news, adventures in Lydia racism! I am a kajiit mage, so I am getting hate from pretty much every direction. Lydia is not exactly enthused to be assigned to me, and keeps saying some crap about carrying my burdens. There was a kajiit thief on the road who attacked me, and I heard Lydia say "you'll make a good rug, cat". Well then...
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:46 am UTC

If it makes you feel any better, Lydia is racist against all races, including Nords. She's an equal opportunity hater, in that she hates everyone.

Especially you.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:27 am UTC

More observations: I suspect that destroying Winterhold may have actually been the college's fault. Trying to dispel the constant snowstorm with a shout appears to only be effective inside the college grounds. As far as I can tell from the construction set, this is deliberate. There's a specific region for just Winterhold, encompassing the exact rectangle that contains all of the city's named cells, but not the college. That region's only valid weather is snowstorm.
<Cheese> I love you

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:48 am UTC

Forum was slow to the point of me not even bothering with it for like three weeks so that's why I missed it but

YES GOD DAMMIT LYDIA. I've ranted about her in here before. As soon as I walked into MY OWN HOUSE and was greeted with, "Are you lost?" I told her to follow me, took her to the hills outside Whiterun, and cut off her head with the sharp bits on the Mace of Molag Bal.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:29 am UTC

Congrats, you decapitated someone in a video game.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I can solve nothing but I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

The only housecarl with anything approaching a personality at that.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Congrats, you decapitated someone in a video game.

IT WAS REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME OKAY

Return to “Gaming”