The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

IcedT

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Postby IcedT » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:03 pm UTC

My one experience playing a vampire character (without Dawnguard- I still don't have it) was when I cleared a vampire den with my Breton spellsword and forgot to use a Cure Disease after. Turned into a pretty interesting experience as I started regularly feeding off my Blades comrades and alternated between total lulz when I ran into frost dragons and abject terror when I met firebreathers. The feeding/travel by night cycle gave the game a nice rythm that I don't think you get otherwise without doing extensive house rules (which I never have the discipline to keep).

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

The only time I went vampire was in Morrowind because I wanted two specific shields that required it. Dawnguard (right name?) was required for my 100% reflect build, and spellbreaker is one of the daedric items mentioned in the ingame book. You can also get a set of enchanted daedric chest and pants armor (of which the pants are useful and the chest is not). After that, I cured myself and killed every one I found. Does Dawnguard give you similar loot incentives to try it?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 am UTC

Darksun shield. There are no incentives in that sense, no. It almost doesn't matter at all whether or not you're a vampire in Dawnguard.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 am UTC

Still enjoying a Morrowind run, using loads of mods I've never tried before. Including one that lets you take a "scenic tour" aboard a silt strider, which is moderately cool.

Thing is, I've also installed Better Bodies, so the driver is wearing no pants.

Spoiler:
SiltStriderFreeInTheWind.png
SiltStriderFreeInTheWind.png (258.01 KiB) Viewed 12383 times
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:49 pm UTC

Just bought Skyrim. Got it for $30 as an xbox download. So excited. ... I didn't buy any dlc, but I figure I'd play the main game first either way. *sigh* I'm working overtime this week tho' so idk when I'll get to play it.

EDIT:
Good God, I need a better internet connection. Currently my only connection to the internets at home is through my 3G smart phone. Downloading an entire 3.86GB (iirc) game over a 3G connection took FOREVER. On the plus side, I had a stable connection for what I estimate was nearly eight hours.

I've got the game downloaded, and played it for about an hour. I can tell you at this point that I'm going to be dumping massive amounts of my free time into that game for the foreseeable future.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:25 am UTC

I finally decided to make a character to get into the darker side of this game and do some Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood stuff. But I'm not sure what's going on. If I repeatedly take and then refuse a job, do the Thieves just snag stuff out of my pockets out of annoyance or something? Because sometimes when I quit a job the screen says "Amethyst removed" or "Flawless garnet removed."
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Usually you get a message like that when a quest stage activates and triggers the removal of a quest item from your inventory. This appears to be a known bug with the Thieves' Guild sidequests when the target is a generic item. Presumably, it's scripted to go to the normal completion stage when you select the cancel quest dialogue, causing it to check for and remove one of the generic items you were supposed to steal. The Unofficial Skyrim patch fixes it, although I don't use the unofficial patches, since they fix a handful of things I prefer to be broken.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:22 am UTC

*grumblegrumble*xbox*grumble*
It just means I have to watch out for things like that, I guess.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:52 am UTC

Or play until you get to the point where you're leaving most of the dungeon loot for the rest of us.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:29 am UTC

TESO isn't here yet. :p

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:09 am UTC

(I know I double post a lot in High Culture, but I think enough time has passed. Sorry anyways.)
So I recently acquired Skyrim on the PC, and I'm having some performance issues. All of the ways that sites have told me I can use to disable vsync aren't working, not even with my GPU's control panel. Also, I get bad framerates (or just choppy movement) depending on the angle my character is looking...Looking straight down is fine, looking straight ahead is mostly fine, looking down at 45 degrees is awful. Is this normal, or is it something that comes with piracy? I have the sort-of latest patch...I think there was a real patch last week but I can't find a torrent of that, so I'm still on the one before it.

EDIT: NEVERMIND! For some reason the install directory has an .ini file that doesn't do anything, and I had to use the one in my user folder. It's working much better now.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I finally decided to make a character to get into the darker side of this game and do some Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood stuff. But I'm not sure what's going on. If I repeatedly take and then refuse a job, do the Thieves just snag stuff out of my pockets out of annoyance or something? Because sometimes when I quit a job the screen says "Amethyst removed" or "Flawless garnet removed."

I'm pretty sure it's because some of the jobs have you plant gems, rings, amulets, and circlets on designated marks. At the acceptance of the quest you are given "Such and such's Moonstone Circlet" or the like, and that is the specific quest item you have to plant. When you cancel the quest it removes the item but doesn't specify the named portion, only the item type.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:54 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I finally decided to make a character to get into the darker side of this game and do some Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood stuff. But I'm not sure what's going on. If I repeatedly take and then refuse a job, do the Thieves just snag stuff out of my pockets out of annoyance or something? Because sometimes when I quit a job the screen says "Amethyst removed" or "Flawless garnet removed."

Bugs aside, 'the darker side' is a ton of fun in this game. It's too bad I have a hard time sticking with it for RP reasons (it's way more natural for me to play straightforward do-gooder types), because a lot of the best and most interesting characters and lore are on the more evil side of things. Daedric missions and vampirism and all that.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 am UTC

I know what you mean. When I started, I tried making a character that does whatever I want to do...no outright crime, but I joined the Stormcloaks, and I do the Daedra's bidding all the time. Now I realize that doing the opposite of that would be contradictory (a thief who joins the Imperials? really?). So I've decided to make one character be lawful and join the Imperials, and another to be the opposite of that. They'll both worship Daedra, of course. This is also going to be my plan for when I get around to playing Morrowind and Oblivion.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

My most recent character is a Nord Conjurer who is pissed off at life because, you know, he's a conjurer who lives in Skyrim... he probably destroyed his village years ago out of sheer inner torment.

At least that's the idea. It works pretty well; everyone I come across says "stay away from me with that magic!" Unfortunately it's really hard to stay in character. "Sure, I'll walk halfway across the continent to find your stolen family heirloom! Wait... no! Ah whatever, there's nothing else to do." :D
-Adam

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

When I made my first character I went with an Argonian, because they look cool as hell now.

I named him "Sees-Too-Much". His backstory was that he was kicked out of his village for being too creepy. He always seemed to know who was where and when, and no one felt like they had any secrets. Everyone was pretty sure he was spying on people, but couldn't prove it. His creepy sneakery made for an easy transition into the thieves guild and dark brotherhood, as well as his fairly mercenary view toward questing.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:06 am UTC

IcedT wrote:

Bugs aside, 'the darker side' is a ton of fun in this game. It's too bad I have a hard time sticking with it for RP reasons (it's way more natural for me to play straightforward do-gooder types), because a lot of the best and most interesting characters and lore are on the more evil side of things. Daedric missions and vampirism and all that.

Daedra =/= Evil

You're living in a Black and White world to their Orange and Blue morality.

... for the record and all.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:45 am UTC

The Dark Brotherhood questline was my favorite... So "Go Go Evil"
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:00 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
IcedT wrote:

Daedra =/= Evil

Some of them are evil, like Mehrunes Dagon and Molag Bal. The latter is probably the closest equivalent to Satan in the Elder Scrolls universe, right down to making parodies of things created by the Divines.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:58 am UTC

Molag Bal was my first Daedra. :wink: I'm kind of sad that he's going to be the designated villain of The Elder Scrolls Online.

guale

Postby guale » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:50 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
IcedT wrote:

Daedra =/= Evil

Some of them are evil, like Mehrunes Dagon and Molag Bal. The latter is probably the closest equivalent to Satan in the Elder Scrolls universe, right down to making parodies of things created by the Divines.

You're still trying to apply our morality to a being that exists entirely outside of it. To Mehrunes Dagon the idea of not detroying is as abhorrent as rape or murder is to you or I.
EDIT: Dagon's purview also includes change and ambition so to him stagnation would be considered an unimaginable evil that needs to be corrected with all due haste, the quickest way happens to usually be destroying everything in sight, not the best method but it gets the job done.
Molag Bal seems to be the only Daedra that lacks any redeeming qualities but again, this is a being entirely off the charts as far as morality goes.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

guale wrote:You're still trying to apply our morality to a being that exists entirely outside of it. To Mehrunes Dagon the idea of not detroying is as abhorrent as rape or murder is to you or I.
EDIT: Dagon's purview also includes change and ambition so to him stagnation would be considered an unimaginable evil that needs to be corrected with all due haste, the quickest way happens to usually be destroying everything in sight, not the best method but it gets the job done.
Molag Bal seems to be the only Daedra that lacks any redeeming qualities but again, this is a being entirely off the charts as far as morality goes.
I don't see how that changes anything. No actually thinks of themselves as evil. And because morality isn't a physical thing, the Et'Ada don't get a pass there. And certainly not their followers. I think we're pretty safe in saying that followers of Molag Bal and Mehrunes Dagon, as well as a few of the others, like Vaermina are evil. The general suspicion that most of Tamriel puts on Daedra worshipers as a whole seems to be pretty justified. Even some of the "good" ones are pretty shady. I don't think a standard "good" character would be that willing to deal with any Daedra with the exception of Meridia and Azura.

Though I suspect the Aedra are only really thought of as good because they're too dead to be dicks. The biggest action I think we've seen repercussions from (apart from creating Mundus, I guess), is giving a bunch of neat equipment to a pretty careless conductor of genocide. (As an aside, am I alone in feeling like Knights of the Nine felt way out place in the TES universe in terms of tone and story? Even compared to the rest of Oblivion, which felt kind of out of place.)
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

He is the Lord of Domination and Enslavement of Mortals.

Or, to put it another way - he's a farmer.

Is the farmer evil? Perhaps to the livestock. That's about it.

Iulus Cofield wrote:Some of them are evil, like Mehrunes Dagon and Molag Bal. The latter is probably the closest equivalent to Satan in the Elder Scrolls universe, right down to making parodies of things created by the Divines.
Like the Aedra are any better. Most of them would prefer to not be dead and trapped in Mundus.

omgryebread wrote:(As an aside, am I alone in feeling like Knights of the Nine felt way out place in the TES universe in terms of tone and story? Even compared to the rest of Oblivion, which felt kind of out of place.)
Anything dealing with a Possibly-2nd-Era-Time-Traveling Amnesiac Psychopath Shezzarine in the pre-1st Era is going to feel out of place anywhere.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Like the Aedra are any better. Most of them would prefer to not be dead and trapped in Mundus.

Did they not know what they were getting into?

guale

Postby guale » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:
guale wrote:You're still trying to apply our morality to a being that exists entirely outside of it. To Mehrunes Dagon the idea of not detroying is as abhorrent as rape or murder is to you or I.
I don't see how that changes anything. No actually thinks of themselves as evil. And because morality isn't a physical thing, the Et'Ada don't get a pass there. And certainly not their followers. I think we're pretty safe in saying that followers of Molag Bal and Mehrunes Dagon, as well as a few of the others, like Vaermina are evil. The general suspicion that most of Tamriel puts on Daedra worshipers as a whole seems to be pretty justified. Even some of the "good" ones are pretty shady. I don't think a standard "good" character would be that willing to deal with any Daedra with the exception of Meridia and Azura.

Though I suspect the Aedra are only really thought of as good because they're too dead to be dicks. The biggest action I think we've seen repercussions from (apart from creating Mundus, I guess), is giving a bunch of neat equipment to a pretty careless conductor of genocide. (As an aside, am I alone in feeling like Knights of the Nine felt way out place in the TES universe in terms of tone and story? Even compared to the rest of Oblivion, which felt kind of out of place.)

I do agree with you on the good ones being pretty shady, I happen to believe Azura is just about the biggest bitch in existence despite being considered "good." The events she set into place in Morrowind, the destruction of the Heart of Lorkhan, which were an act of petty revenge for a group of people breaking a promise someone else made directly made possible the events of Oblivion by weakening the barrier between Oblivion and Mundus and may end up making possible the unmaking of the entire world. I have a hard time believing she didn't know every single repercussion of this due to her strong association with prophecy.
The Scyphozoa wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Like the Aedra are any better. Most of them would prefer to not be dead and trapped in Mundus.

No, they didn't. Which is the mer refer to Lorkhan as "The Trickster." The way they see it he tricked them into giving up their immortality.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Anything dealing with a Possibly-2nd-Era-Time-Traveling Amnesiac Psychopath Shezzarine in the pre-1st Era is going to feel out of place anywhere.

What? I have NO idea what that means, but it sounds super interesting so please explain it a little. Because what the fuck.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Like the Aedra are any better. Most of them would prefer to not be dead and trapped in Mundus.

Maybe!?

I mean, Magnus bugged out when he realized what was going on (and ripped a hole in Oblivion, his followers ripping smaller ones thus creating the Sun and Stars which.. aren't objects, but holes in reality letting magicka pour through unimpeded from Aetherius) and there's pretty good evidence that none of the other Aedra fully comprehended they'd be stuck, and that Akatosh's big dive was more of a "Fuck it, no use fighting it" kinda thing.

So.. yeah, they probably had no clue. How they feel about it now is debatable, but that's the Man/Mer schism, where Men see Existence as a wonderful thing the Aedra took part in and Mer see existence as a horrible trap Lorkhan put them in, thus denying them their spiritual existence in Aetherius and putting them in mortal meat suits.

Enokh wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Anything dealing with a Possibly-2nd-Era-Time-Traveling Amnesiac Psychopath Shezzarine in the pre-1st Era is going to feel out of place anywhere.

What? I have NO idea what that means, but it sounds super interesting so please explain it a little. Because what the fuck.

Pelinal Whitestrake is a title. Pelinal was one of Ysgramor's Five Hundred Companions, and likely was either Hans the Fox or Harrald Harry-Breeks, possibly both. He was prone to - as they called it - fits of madness where he would lash out at anything around him, killing whatever stood in his way and a lot that tried to get out of his way. While he fought for Aliessia, the first Empress of the (first) Empire during the end of the Mythic Era and start of the 1st Era, he was known, in his madness, to cry tears and scream for Reman, 2nd Era Emperor of the (Second) Empire. Pelinal is a corruption of an Elven word meaning "Star-Made Knight", and he wore armor that was noted to be of a future time. And he did not answer questions on where he got his arms and armor, or about much of his life, so it's possible he could not remember it.

And there's pretty good evidence that he spent a fair portion of his life mantling Shezzar (who is Sep who is Shor who is Sheor who is Lorkhaj who is Lorkhan) making him a Shezzarine. Like Hjalti, like Ysmir, like Wulfharth, like the trio of Zurin/Tiber/Underking who (knowingly or not) re-enacted the Rebel/King/Witness and eventually became Talos. Which is a... incredibly complicated thing.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Went on a hyperlink adventure on UESP from one of your links and found this guy.

Move over, Sheogorath. You've got nothing on Ius :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Enokh wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Anything dealing with a Possibly-2nd-Era-Time-Traveling Amnesiac Psychopath Shezzarine in the pre-1st Era is going to feel out of place anywhere.

Pelinal Whitestrake is a title. Pelinal was one of Ysgramor's Five Hundred Companions, and likely was either Hans the Fox or Harrald Harry-Breeks, possibly both. He was prone to - as they called it - fits of madness where he would lash out at anything around him, killing whatever stood in his way and a lot that tried to get out of his way. While he fought for Aliessia, the first Empress of the (first) Empire during the end of the Mythic Era and start of the 1st Era, he was known, in his madness, to cry tears and scream for Reman, 2nd Era Emperor of the (Second) Empire. Pelinal is a corruption of an Elven word meaning "Star-Made Knight", and he wore armor that was noted to be of a future time. And he did not answer questions on where he got his arms and armor, or about much of his life, so it's possible he could not remember it.

And there's pretty good evidence that he spent a fair portion of his life mantling Shezzar (who is Sep who is Shor who is Sheor who is Lorkhaj who is Lorkhan) making him a Shezzarine. Like Hjalti, like Ysmir, like Wulfharth, like the trio of Zurin/Tiber/Underking who (knowingly or not) re-enacted the Rebel/King/Witness and eventually became Talos. Which is a... incredibly complicated thing.

Well. . .thanks! I don't understand some of that, but now I've got enough to work with to figure it out. I didn't ever realize that the cosmology of The Elder Scrolls was this complicated.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Holy shit is it complicated. If you think it's anything like reality - it's not. There is no "Space", there's Nirn, and it's surrounded by Oblivion. In Oblivion there are holes torn to Aetherius and within Oblivion also floats the plane(t)s of Akatosh, Kyne, etc. The Aedra are dead and plane(t)s in Oblivion.

Nirn is the plane(t) of Lorkhan, but Lorkhan's heart was torn out, his flesh was torn asunder and put in the sky as the moons, and I have no idea where his spirit went, but I'm thinking that's why there's dozens and dozens of Shezzarines and.. for example.. like one Akatosharine (Akarine?) or whatever it would be [Martin Septim].

And that's before we get in to the aspect of Akatosh (Alduin)* that devours existence at the end of every kalpa to restart the cycle who, this time around, said "fuck that" and started lording over existence rather than eating it, and extending the kalpa.

You smoke pot, right? 'Cause it really helps.

*Also, that's an oversimplification. The Time God and the Dragon God I don't believe started out as the same entity, but now are. And it's an aspect of the time entity that restarts the kalpas, but now it's a time dragon doing it. So it's not entirely accurate to say it's an aspect of Akatosh, but more of an aspect of the entity that was interpreted and reinterpreted and now is mostly in the entity named Akatosh.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Yeah, somewhere around the part where you said in an earlier post that the sun and the stars aren't objects but rather holes in reality, I. . .kind of accepted I wasn't going to be able to draw comparisons to real-world anythings.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

So, should I now say that the Admantine Tower is likely Akatosh's space (Oblivion?) ship, or should I hold off on that?

It's also useful to note that former-employee-turned-independent-contractor Micheal Kirkbride is responsible for pretty much everything deeper than "Divines Good Daedra Bad!"

And here's an example of his writings.

Belief-engines, properly called the “Auxiliary Semi-Shockpoint Nilgularity”, provide energy for short dream-sleeve jumps in case a Vehkship’s main ego is damaged, allowing the C0DA Paravant to potentially get to the safety of a voidyard orbital.

By creating the equivalent of an Nu-class Mnemolic, shrinking it instantaneously via a creatia tesseract array, and then projecting the resulting moth-talk well to a nil-point just outside the ego’s hull, an ASSN can slingshot the Paravant into era-streams without the needed energies of nearby aetheric bodies or shockpoint application.

The ASSN is strictly Last Ditch technology, however. It’s often deemed as too dangerous for its own good, because it works on the rarified principles of Phynaster’s Inversion, a set of mathematics that doesn’t exist in our own dimension. Vehkships have vanished in nil-space trying to make an ASSN jump—indeed, the celestial irregularity known as the M4bV Legerity, in which the C0DA Oblivion Vanquisher appears and implodes in perpetuity, is the belief system’s most famous cautionary tale.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

What in the hell?! I love this man.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Yep. One of his other writings led to the fun (but not likely true) theory that the Eye of Magnus is.... a 9th Era Mining Robot named KINMUNE.

But it's more likely KINMUNE has already come and gone. Probably in the 1st or 2nd era.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Yeah...a lot of things Talon is saying are of an uncertain level of canon. It's...complicated, but suffice it to say that hardcore TES nerds are basically divided into two camps, those who accept as canon all of Kirkbride's writings and those who only accept the stuff from Kirkbride that actually made it into the games.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Nirn is the plane(t) of Lorkhan, but Lorkhan's heart was torn out, his flesh was torn asunder and put in the sky as the moons, and I have no idea where his spirit went, but I'm thinking that's why there's dozens and dozens of Shezzarines and.. for example.. like one Akatosharine (Akarine?) or whatever it would be [Martin Septim].
Don't forget his heart, which became the stone for Red Tower, at least until the Nerevarine deactivated it.

And that's before we get in to the aspect of Akatosh (Alduin)* that devours existence at the end of every kalpa to restart the cycle who, this time around, said "fuck that" and started lording over existence rather than eating it, and extending the kalpa.

You smoke pot, right? 'Cause it really helps.

*Also, that's an oversimplification. The Time God and the Dragon God I don't believe started out as the same entity, but now are. And it's an aspect of the time entity that restarts the kalpas, but now it's a time dragon doing it. So it's not entirely accurate to say it's an aspect of Akatosh, but more of an aspect of the entity that was interpreted and reinterpreted and now is mostly in the entity named Akatosh.

Kirkbride has actually suggested that all the gods are basically the same entity, just different reflections of the Void. Certainly all the Aedra + Akatosh are emanations of Anu and all the Daedra + Lorkhan are emanations of Padomay. I think his post was in response to people wondering why some sources say Allesia got her blessing from Akatosh while others say Shezzar, and MK basically replied that they may well be the same thing.

Once you get down to a high level of philosophy in TES, it doesn't make sense and its not supposed to. MK didn't just rewrite cosmology, but he essentially made TES run off different metaphysics as well. There's absolutely no difference between ontology and epistemology. Myths make things true, rather than the other way around. Despite this, the entire philosophy is remarkably consistent with its own rules.

I tend to use this an excuse to ignore a lot of Kirkbride stuff. Especially a lot of the stuff he wrote in character as Vivec. I don't trust Vivec.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Vivec is a lying liar. That's a known fact. Because Vivec told us he's a lying liar. Whose pants are always inflamed which is why he doesn't wear them.

But yeah, Akatosh is Auriel. Auriel hates Men. Akatosh blessed the Empire of Man. A-who-whatnow?

Iulus Cofield wrote:Yeah...a lot of things Talon is saying are of an uncertain level of canon. It's...complicated, but suffice it to say that hardcore TES nerds are basically divided into two camps, those who accept as canon all of Kirkbride's writings and those who only accept the stuff from Kirkbride that actually made it into the games.
Also, that. Which puts things in a complicated spot.

Kirkbride writes Article 1, which is setup of the exact moment, Article 2-4 which are descriptions of the players in the event and different objects and concepts and so on and frequently refer and restate things from Article 1, then Article 5 which ties it all together.

Bethesda buys Articles 2, 3 and 4.

.... so.. 1, being the setup, is in, but.. 5 made the whole thing make sense and now it doesn't exactly without it as it's sorta like watching all but the last 10 minutes of a film and assuming it ends with "..." instead of a proper ending so...

Is 5 invalid? Is it "true" in the sense that it just hasn't been said to be untrue?

Shit is weird when you've got a couple of independent contractors spewing content all over the place like a firehose, but you're only buying choice bits.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Making it even more complicated is that Bethesda is notorious for willy nilly retconning. Religion in Daggerfall is completely different than in later games, presumably because when the Underking (a Shezzarine*) got a hold of the Numidium** and the Dragon Broke***, before using the power to kill himself he eradicated all of the minor dieties from the timeline entirely.

Spoiler:
*Either an avatar, in the Hindu sense, of Lorkhan/Shor or someone who "mantled" Lorkhan and gained his powers by...the power of magical thinking, as I "understand" it.
**A giant robot built by the Dwarves and meant to be powered by the Heart of Lorkhan, but can also be powered by the soul of a Shezzarine.
***An event where time becomes non-linear, which allowed multiple people to simultaneously take control of the Numidium at the end of Daggerfall.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Mantling I've read best described as "walking like someone until they walk like you"

Which is how you became the Nerevarine in Morrowind or the Madgod in the Shivering Isles. You walked like the Horator/Sheogorath until the Nerevar/Sheogorath shaped hole in the world walked like you.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

Speaking of silly deep lore, I hope there's at least some explanation as to why 50 bajillion people will suddenly be walking around with CHIM once TES:O comes out.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Return to “Gaming”