The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The only housecarl with anything approaching a personality at that.
Once I installed Dawnguard, I never looked back from my decision to keep that vampire as my follower throughout the rest of the game. Turns out I like a bit of story for someone I'm going to have with me for the next 40 or so hours of gaming. (That's what I loved so much about the follower experience in FO:NV, since each one of them has a quest line and an actual personality.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Serana is awesome and the only follower I ever kept for a significant period of time.

I wish J'zargo had a bit more story/dialogue because he looks cool too.

Also I keep meaning to install the Falskaar mod, I've heard good things about it.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

It also helps that J'zargo has that bug which makes him level with you all the way into forever, while everyone else in the game caps at 50 or lower...
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:40 am UTC

Mods. Vilja, Inigo and Brhuce. Followers with personalities.

Hell, Interesting NPCs adds a few too.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

Serana bugged me a lot more than she probably should have. She's this bubbly and awkward humor form of vampirism, nepotistic with 'cattle' in her cellar, naive when she's supposed to be funny, knowledgeable when she needs to advance the Dawnguard plot. Even so I thought I might use her for a while, at least she has an inconsistent character over not much character at all, but her "Done and done" whenever she killed a skeever got old fast. Now she's my livestock.

Dawngaurd DLC overall was rather disappointing. Dragonborn DLC was pretty solid, even though a lot of it is a nostalgia trip. When I found the (minor)
Spoiler:
throwable spiders
I knew it was more than just a cash grab. On the subject, Teldryn Sero and Frea are some of the better followers in the game too. It seems they learned from their mistakes in making those emotionless pack mules.

It seems I have over 300 hours played and have yet to finish the main quest. Ever since speaking to paarthurnax I deliberately forgot that it existed. It's just about the only thing I haven't done though... Many things have I done. I suppose I'll do that and wrap it up.

I've got enough screenshots for one more album, if anyone cared for those. I'd like to know if anyone is interested before I create it though, because the editing and sorting and uploading takes some hours to do. Here's part 1 and part 2 again.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:23 pm UTC

Is that 300 hours on multiple characters, or just one? I now have something like 450 total hours of playtime, but that's over the course of 4 or 5 separate characters.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

It's spread out across a few. My save shows 150 hours on my current character.

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

I'm up to something like 280 hours on a single character, still playing infrequently. The majority of that was on the vanilla xbox version, but when the add-ons started appearing in force I transferred the save files to PC.

Serana is the only follower who consistently impresses me more than she annoys me, which has lead to me keeping her around a lot. I don't even make her carry my junk these days, thanks to the bandolier mod. Lydia is forced to stay at my manor cleaning the loot as a result of her uselessness when faced with any simple floor trigger, and my wife Aela got packed off to the Solitude mansion with the kids to stop her whining about the damn spiders and bears.

I've completed all of the major quests, including the expansions and the Wyrmstooth mod. Clearing out giant camps and doing contract killings for the Brotherhood have lost their appeal, so I mostly spend my time causing as much chaos as possible at the small battlegrounds spread across the countryside (Warzones mod) using experimental magic (Apocalypse mod, used to use Midas Magic mod, but got a lot of graphical glitches when trying to run this and Wyrmstooth together).

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:58 pm UTC

Wow...fuck you RNG. (minor spoilers for a ~2 minute quest)
Spoiler:
According to UESP, after you find Narfi's dead sister and come back to him to either tell him she's dead or lie and say she's coming home soon, he rewards you with "three random, rare ingredients". It just so happened that I got Human Heart, Human Flesh, and Fire Salts, leading me to believe he had killed her and thrown her bones in the river. Good thing it's just random, right? :|
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:21 pm UTC

On the other hand,
Spoiler:
that Brotherhood contract won't be so bad this time, right?
(This is a spoiler for a quest. The problem being, mentioning much more about the quest kinda spoils what the quest is. So... basically, don't read this unless you've played through all the questlines in the base game, which.. at this point should be just about everyone.)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:On the other hand,
Spoiler:
that Brotherhood contract won't be so bad this time, right?
(This is a spoiler for a quest. The problem being, mentioning much more about the quest kinda spoils what the quest is. So... basically, don't read this unless you've played through all the questlines in the base game, which.. at this point should be just about everyone.)
I've.. actually never done the main quest line all the way through. Or the civil war. I mean, I try, but New Character Syndrome kicks in. The closest I've got is my Support Character, but it takes Lydia for-fucking-ever to kill dragons on her own, and support spells basically don't work on dragons. So a dragon fight is basically casting Heal Other for half an hour.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:27 pm UTC

Get UFO or some other mod to let you have more than one follower?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

Welp, back to playing even more. I was curious about m4d4sb34ns's mention of Wyrmstooth, so I downloaded that as well as the Cycle of the Silencer mod (which is another fully voiced quest addon), and am additionally inspired to finish the Moonpath to Elsweyr (yet another quest addon) quest I started back when my latest character was too low-level to do much.
---

(he/him/his)

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:30 am UTC

I haven't used this mod but a friend showed me it at work and I literally laughed until my sides hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rBkV-vRpY

I guess I am still a little kid inside.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Welp, back to playing even more. I was curious about m4d4sb34ns's mention of Wyrmstooth, so I downloaded that as well as the Cycle of the Silencer mod (which is another fully voiced quest addon), and am additionally inspired to finish the Moonpath to Elsweyr (yet another quest addon) quest I started back when my latest character was too low-level to do much.

Might as well tear through Falskaar while you're in there.

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:02 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Welp, back to playing even more. I was curious about m4d4sb34ns's mention of Wyrmstooth, so I downloaded that as well as the Cycle of the Silencer mod (which is another fully voiced quest addon), and am additionally inspired to finish the Moonpath to Elsweyr (yet another quest addon) quest I started back when my latest character was too low-level to do much.

Might as well tear through Falskaar while you're in there.

That's my current adventure, along with trying out some of the other mods like "Cloaks of Skyrim". Falskaar is great so far, but it's been quite a shock working through some brand new levelled content at 75 after spending so long dicking around and being ridiculously overpowered. I'm slowly gaining an appreciation for Conjuration magic, using unchained Ash Guardians as a distraction and setting loose a Dremora Lord/Draugr Scourge seems to work well.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:03 pm UTC

Well crap. Guess I should go download that one now. Or, you know, when I get home. Because downloading it onto my phone probably wouldn't be much use for anyone.

Edit: and yeah, new leveled stuff after getting used to being a complete badass is a bit of a shock, especially when I'm also running Enemy AI Overhaul, which makes all of them more realistically competent to start with. (Of course, the bigger problem difficult enemies caused for the main Wyrmstooth quest was that the band of mercenaries would only let me bash them so many times with my two-handed warhammer before turning hostile, so I had to restart a couple of the fights multiple times for that reason.)
---

(he/him/his)

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:56 am UTC

Anyone tried Dragon Combat Overhaul? It seems like a good dragon mod, but I haven't tried it because I am a wimp.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:14 am UTC

The knockdown radius is larger than you think. Much larger. Want to spend 70% of your time in dragon fights holding right click?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

These days, I spend my dragon fights at the edge of effect, wearing my Set of Blasting and shoving Thunderbolts up the dragon's nose until it turns to a fine, white powder. Then I snort it.

Dragonbuzz, man.

Though, once I tear through this mod, I'll probably be shoving .. lightingbolts that are on fire... and frozen...and poisoned... up their noses until they.... god, the hell would they do? Can I pretend to snort it?

Can someone make me a "Dragonborn : Exotic Drug User" mod wherein I can snort up the ash piles left by things and gain wacky benefits/detriments?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

Ooh, that looks like a nice magic mod. I've got the Phenderix Magic Evolved one, but it only adds spell books, without any quest lines to get them. (If you elect not to "cheat" by picking the lock and stealing all the books from the vendor's chest, though, you do need to at least have the requisite skill level before he'll sell you things.) The top-tier spells are basically dragon breath weapons, though, and quite a lot of fun to play with on a high magic character.

Looks like the spellmaking one is more lore-friendly, though, since iirc it's basically how things worked in Oblivion, yes?
---

(he/him/his)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

Appears to be. Haven't quite unlocked it yet. The mod is riddled with typos (things like "... and so the Old altmer mage told, me that he Found a ..." , but the voice acting is fine. It also uses an existing book to make a point, which I found neat.

There is one fucking sequence though..... the mod maker breaks the cardinal rule of gaming - tabletop, video, whatever - "Never take control from the player to show off how kewl your NPCs are"

Because those dumb motherfuckers took like 10 goddamn fucking minutes to chase the dragon off, and the scripting broke so they never did. So I reloaded, fixed myself with the console and chased it off in less than 15 seconds because I'm a God of Death.

At any rate, if I use the Altar I have to then beat some Challenge, and there's something like six ghosts in six towers that tried and failed, so Imma go learn what they have to say first.

Seriously, goddamn it, Skyrim's engine is not appropriate for Scripted Sequences Where Someone Nearly Gets Away. I had to practically cheat in the Miraak fight* because apparently I deal too much damage with my "Shove Thunderbolts up their nose until they beg Uncle Talon to stop, laugh, and continue shoving" method of attack. Dammit, Bethesda! It's not my fault your game allows for free magic spells!

*Miraak Fight
Spoiler:
If your Miraak gets in the 10-20% health range, warps to the middle, calls down a dragon, kills it in one shout and eats it's soul then...stands there, untouchable, like an asshole, not quite at full health but not coming out of his Ethereal state.....

Dragonrend your new Draconian Friend and kill him. Miraak should eat him, get back to the fight, and at least on my game he ate the second dragon he called without a problem, then properly died like he should.

And no, the console kill command will never work on him as you don't flat out kill him, but instead watch Kewl People Be Kewl.

Fuck watching Kewl People Be Kewl. In the time the baddie takes to give their monolog, I've usually vaporized their army and have torn both their arms off and are now looting the bodies and giant chests, only later realizing the monologing bad guy is still talking. "Dude, you're dead. Die now" I say. Then bad guy realizes I killed him before he said 'here' in his "So you finally made it here to my inner lair"

Man, that sequence still pisses me off, and it's been 12 hours now...

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Fuck watching Kewl People Be Kewl. In the time the baddie takes to give their monolog, I've usually vaporized their army and have torn both their arms off and are now looting the bodies and giant chests, only later realizing the monologing bad guy is still talking. "Dude, you're dead. Die now" I say. Then bad guy realizes I killed him before he said 'here' in his "So you finally made it here to my inner lair"

That's a neat thing about Mass Effect 2, some of the interrupts kill the enemy mid (dramatic) speech

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm UTC

If you do tend to annihilate groups of enemies really quickly, I highly recommend the Enemy AI Overhaul mod I mentioned before. Sure, it's one kind of badass to walk into a place and use a top-level spell to make literally everyone stop fighting (which is how I did my magic-user's Solitude invasion), and that's hella fun. But it's also pretty damn satisfying to take down a whole crowd of draugr when vanilla Deathlord Shouts are literally the least of your worries, because now there are a few even higher tiers and they're all Shouting at you.
---

(he/him/his)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

You know, even with good AI, the only way a crowd is taking me out at this stage is if the crowd is so obscenely overpowered that I couldn't touch it. Between a Frenzy opener and the Dremora Twins running interference and my Pacify/Invisibility Runaway for a second combo, if it kills me it kills me because it's as obscenely "cheating" as I am.

I hardly even bother with shouts these days.

Really, if I got an AI upgrade, I'd need to first get a magic upgrade as destruction spells simply don't pump out enough damage (They don't even break 200 points a hit), summons don't have enough hitpoints, Illusions top out and don't affect everyone they should and so on.

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 am UTC

Thought on Falskaar so far - spoilered for image as well as actual spoilers.
Spoiler:
Seriously. Every damn cave! I know it's quest related, but that doesn't make the fights any less tedious. I can carve through them easily if I go to my default "sword+board" mode of playing, but killcams aside I just don't enjoy that type of combat as much. I can engage them effectively in magic duels as long as I use cover properly, but they destroy my summons too quick and use healing/destruction rather than, you know, actually summoning/necromancy. I've avoided making my character uber, and even deliberately gimped myself a bit by going for sub-optimal gear for the sake of appearance and RP value. For high-level casters though, that means I'm stuck with either very long fights, running in like a bull and cutting off heads, or abusing the Apocalypse spell "Electrocute".

Other than that, it seems like a very well put together mod from a technical standpoint, and has a much more interesting storyline than Wyrmstooth, even if it does walk the boundary of acceptable "lore".

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:58 am UTC

m4d4sb34ns wrote:Thought on Falskaar so far - spoilered for image as well as actual spoilers.
Spoiler:
Seriously. Every damn cave! I know it's quest related, but that doesn't make the fights any less tedious. I can carve through them easily if I go to my default "sword+board" mode of playing, but killcams aside I just don't enjoy that type of combat as much. I can engage them effectively in magic duels as long as I use cover properly, but they destroy my summons too quick and use healing/destruction rather than, you know, actually summoning/necromancy. I've avoided making my character uber, and even deliberately gimped myself a bit by going for sub-optimal gear for the sake of appearance and RP value. For high-level casters though, that means I'm stuck with either very long fights, running in like a bull and cutting off heads, or abusing the Apocalypse spell "Electrocute".

Other than that, it seems like a very well put together mod from a technical standpoint, and has a much more interesting storyline than Wyrmstooth, even if it does walk the boundary of acceptable "lore".

Some tips:
Spoiler:
Hit them with the marked for death or drain vitality shout before they get their ward up (wards are weirdly effective against shouts). Drain vitality will stop their magic regen and drop their stamina to the point where just about anything staggers them. Marked for death will severely drop their armor which will make your summons that much more effective.

Dragonborn spoiler:
Spoiler:
You can also try using whirlwind cloak, which will ragdoll most things that get to melee range of you, or use ash shell as a very cheap paralyze for crowd control.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:40 pm UTC

even if it does walk the boundary of acceptable "lore".
No, that would be Brhuce Hammar.....

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Jesus Christ. I'd seen Really Useful World Eater before, but this... I don't even...

headprogrammingczar wrote:Some tips:
Spoiler:
Hit them with the marked for death or drain vitality shout before they get their ward up (wards are weirdly effective against shouts). Drain vitality will stop their magic regen and drop their stamina to the point where just about anything staggers them. Marked for death will severely drop their armor which will make your summons that much more effective.

Dragonborn spoiler:
Spoiler:
You can also try using whirlwind cloak, which will ragdoll most things that get to melee range of you, or use ash shell as a very cheap paralyze for crowd control.

Spoiler:
I don't really like to use shouts in non-dragon fights as it's mostly just an IWIN button anyway. Crowd control isn't a problem thanks to Stone Curse, Time Lock and Stun (all part of the Apocalypse mod I believe), but I prefer to leave the fights as "me vs a crowd" rather than picking people off individually, just 'cause it feels more epic to win. I've pretty much given up on gaming apart from Skyrim, so I'm now just wringing every last drop of enjoyment out of it while waiting for TES6.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:26 pm UTC

m4d4sb34ns wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

Jesus Christ. I'd seen Really Useful World Eater before, but this... I don't even...

So, you've scoured the internet, you've seen all the follower mods there are to see, and gosh darnit to jeez christ gosh heck, you're sick of all the glassy-eyed waifus, the big-foreheaded floozies, and the barely-dressed barbies that look like they were designed by a middle-schooler who just discovered the opposite gender. You want a better companion, a trustworthy companion. You want a follower who exudes quality. You want a follower who stands for excellence, integrity, and lore-friendliness.

Until such a follower exists, why not try out Brhuce Hammar. He throws trains at people!
He really does. Goddamn tiny trains. Straight at people. Kill'em dead.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:28 am UTC

One complaint I have about Falskaar is that quest rewards don't seem to scale with level the way enemies do. I mean, sure, it's not like I actually need money, and since loot from corpses does scale properly I could still collect as much as I liked if I did, but doing a fairly involved multi-part quest about a powerful Daedric artifact ought to get me more than 250 gold.

(Of course, I made gold weigh 0.01 each, so getting more of it just means I get encumbered more easily and have to leave piles of it in containers around my various houses. Which means that the few hundred thousand I'm likely up to at this point is stored in who knows how many different places.)

Edit: I also get kind of annoyed when I have to go through the motions of a quest even though I've already discovered the needed information myself before even starting it.

With the murders in Windhelm:
Spoiler:
The first time I played through the game, I picked the lock on a chest in the guy's house/museum, and found one of the diaries in there. But I couldn't tell anyone this presumably quite important piece of information until another woman had been murdered and I went through the whole rest of the quest. That was especially annoying because you can complete the quest just fine without ever finding the diary in his own house, so why put it there in a pickable container in the first place? (Or maybe it required a key, but I was able to pickpocket it off him and unlock the chest? Still, that information shouldn't be discoverable at all outside the questline if you can't use it in the quest itself.)

And with the main quest for Falskaar:
Spoiler:
I found the Heart Chamber on my own before learning its significance (I initially thought the 5 spots on the altar thing were for the 5 pieces of the aforementioned Daedric artifact which I was going to get as a reward for that quest). Then when they started talking about the 5 keys, I knew that's where we'd have to go, but I still had to get the book from the Dwemer ruin. And as with the Windhelm quest, the designer(s) didn't have to make that knowledge accessible in the first place. They could have stuck the altar behind a door that I couldn't open without additional information from the book or something. Or, what would have been ideal in both quests, there could have been an option to share that knowledge when I realized how it was relevant and skip part of the quest entirely. This would lose me out on a whole quest stage, but the benefit would be a less railroaded feeling in what's supposed to be an immersive world.
---

(he/him/his)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You know, even with good AI, the only way a crowd is taking me out at this stage is if the crowd is so obscenely overpowered that I couldn't touch it.
It's not just AI, though. It's more intelligent AI *plus* much more powerful enemies. And things that weren't crowds can suddenly become crowds because one of the things it gives a lot of draugr and Falmer varieties is summoning spells. (One of the fairly lore-breaking things it does, unfortunately, is give Shouts to almost all the higher level draugr variants, despite the fact that those were supposed to be something only a few people ever managed to learn).

It's not that I'd expect the crowd to be able to take you out, but it likely would make it a bit more of a challenge for you to take them out. Or at least, it does a very good job doing that with physical weapons. I'm only now starting down the magic path with my current character, but I suppose you're right that with the number of crowd-control spells there are at high levels, you still might be able to simply disable most of the enemies before they can use their powers.
---
I'm also quite liking the Sneak Tools and Non-Lethal Weaponry mods, which make stealth a lot more fun (and hella useful when sneaking past, for example, the uber Falmer variants introduced by the AI Overhaul mod). Sneak Tools adds a lot of Thief-like things, such as water arrows, noisemaker arrows, oil arrows, and fire arrows. It also gives you options to throat-slit or knock out people you've snuck up behind (or sleeping people you've snuck up to), depending on what weapons (if any) you have drawn. It is kind of ridiculous that the vanilla stealth tree only lets you cut someone's throat if you have a powerful enough dagger, usually plus the 15x backstab perk. Non-Lethal weaponry currently only adds tranq arrows, but since none of the Sneak Tools arrows have that effect, it's definitely worthwhile.

I might have to alter the mod a bit myself, though, because whatever effect Sneak Tools gives to knockout victims allows you to loot them (by sneaking and pickpocketing), while the arrows have the vanilla paralysis effect, so you can't do that.
---
I'm making my own mod that makes gold weigh 0.01 each, and which will eventually add gemstones to some of the merchants so you can have a lighter alternative to carrying around tens of thousands of gold worth of wealth. Currently I've only added them to Tonilia, and will probably add them to the other fences as well, with the implication that what they're dealing in is stolen stones. I'll probably also add it to the clothing store in Solitude, since they seem wealthy enough to realistically carry unset gems, and being inside a building makes them realistically more secure than the jeweler in Riften, who I also considered as a non-Thieves-Guild option. Any other thoughts on people who might realistically carry a larger stock of diamonds and rubies and such?
---

(he/him/his)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:48 pm UTC

Maybe anyone attached to Arnleif and Sons Trading Company in Markarth, especially if you can tie it to fire after doing the Dibella Statue quest... but probably even then only in limited numbers. More than the default, though, being so close to the silver mine and all.

Enthir in the College should have a supply as a shady dealer and all.

There's not really anyone else who leaps out at me.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

Yeah, I'd already planned on Enthir, with his Thieves Guild connection. If it's straightforward to change vendors' inventories based on quest completion, then there'd actually be a couple I'd do that with. The aforementioned apparel shop in Solitude, after you wear their outfit for the Jarl, Madesi in Riften after you give him ingredients, the general stores in Markarth and Riverdale after you get them their stolen items back. They would have fewer gems than the fences, though (Tonilia is set up to have 30 at 75%, for an average of 22.5 gems that change with your level).

There is already a banking system mod with, among other things, banknotes, but I feel like the setting is perhaps still a bit primitive for paper money to be accepted, at least among humans in Skyrim. (I could see it working in Cyrodil, closer to the capital, or in one of the more cohesive Elf states, though.) So instead I decided to go basically the D&D route of carrying gems and jewelry, with the added penalty that you lose money on every transaction if your speech skill isn't high enough. (And even with that maxed out, vendors still sell things with a 5% markup, and while there are mods that can adjust that, afaik they do it for all vendors and all items, whereas I'd want it only for gems with those vendors that sell them.)

I also thought about the possibility of a Thieves Guild way to turn gold ingots into coins, which wouldn't exactly be counterfeiting because one ingot weighs 1 and is worth 100, while one gold weighs and is worth 1/100th of that, but it would allow for a better exchange rate than selling the ingots.

Then again, I suppose making them into jewelry does that as well, with the added benefit of increasing the value:weight ratio quite a bit, so maybe an actual counterfeiting system would be better, like you can combine silver and gold to get 200 coins or something? There's already a spell to transmute silver to gold, so it wouldn't really be much of an exploit, but would be a fun addition nonetheless. You have to be at the Skyforge to make those items, so perhaps it's possible to have a counterfeiting recipe that only works at the smith who eventually shows up in the Ragged Flagon once you help the Guild enough.
---

(he/him/his)

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm UTC

Welp, the Falskaar main quest ending had potential, but turned out to be one of the most underwhelming Skyrim experiences for me so far.

On the economics modding, I've been running "Bank of Skyrim" for a while, which includes paper-based money (which I've never used as I haven't bothered giving coins a weight) as well as investments and loans. As a result of my magpie-like tendencies and maximum use of the investments, I recently passed 1M gold in gemstones, and a further 1.2M in cash. I really wish there was some method included for making no-interest deposits like a current account, but I'm reluctant to add yet another mod to do this.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:02 pm UTC

m4d4sb34ns wrote:Welp, the Falskaar main quest ending had potential, but turned out to be one of the most underwhelming Skyrim experiences for me so far.
Yeah, I was rather disappointed with that as well. It kinda makes it irrelevant that you were there to help at all, if that was going to happen in the end anyway.

On the economics modding, I've been running "Bank of Skyrim" for a while, which includes paper-based money (which I've never used as I haven't bothered giving coins a weight) as well as investments and loans. As a result of my magpie-like tendencies and maximum use of the investments, I recently passed 1M gold in gemstones, and a further 1.2M in cash. I really wish there was some method included for making no-interest deposits like a current account, but I'm reluctant to add yet another mod to do this.
I never had much interest (so to speak) in investment vehicles seeing as by the time I've scrounged together enough money to do so, I pretty much passed the tipping point anyway, and will inevitably end up with way more than I know what to do with. And as I mentioned above, I feel like paper money in Skyrim wouldn't be trusted with the instability of the government at the time of the game.

Then again, it just occurred to me that, so long as it's only the bankers themselves that exchange notes (as in, you need to change it back into gold before you can purchase anything), which I suspect is the case as it'd be easier to code, government instability wouldn't be relevant. It's only necessary that the bankers themselves trust their own bank enough to give you the gold your note says you're owed...

So with that in mind, I may go ahead and install it without feeling like I'm breaking immersion, instead of trying to get my own mod together (though the per-transaction loss when going to and from precious stones does seem like it adds realism an exact 1:1 rate lacks, unless the banks can be set up to not issue notes at all unless you've already invested with them at least once).
---
Oh also?

Airships!

Maybe immersion-breaking for some folks, but after playing the Moonpath to Elsweyr, it actually adds to it because in that quest you're told you have your own airship now, so it only makes sense that it would be usable back in Skyrim (and Sholstheim or whatever the DB island is).
---

(he/him/his)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

Given that they used to travel space and the Imperials had a moon colony, Airships are hardly lore breaking.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 am UTC

Plus there's one in base Morrowind and Skyrim - the same one, in fact - crashed on Solstheim anyway.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:11 am UTC

Ah right, I forgot about that on Solstheim.

Speaking of mods that are at least lore-believable if not exactly part of the lore, this Dwemer Exoskeleton may be seriously overpowered but is also a hell of a lot of fun. For one thing, I thoroughly enjoy using the jump boost to just hop around onto roofs and walls and such like you can in Oblivion (and Morrowind too, I think? I never played that one). I unfortunately turned off Open Cities because it wasn't compatible with any of the city redecorating mods I added to make them less empty, but that would be a must for a fully immersive able-to-jump-right-over-walls experience.
---

(he/him/his)

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

Upgraded the Apocalypse package recently - I was pretty pissed by some of the changes to start with (not to mention the tendency towards more and more CTDs immediately after the change), but now I'm LOVING some of the additions, particularly Backlash and Counterspell. Having J'zargo and Serana with me, all decked out in their new threads (courtesy of Immersive Armours) and taking on bunches of casters is great fun.

How do you guys have your armour enchants set up? I've tended to stick with 100% reduction in Destruction and Restoration costs, mostly just to stop my enchanted weapons discharging so readily. This feels like too much of a cheat when going for pure magic battles, but pure health/magika buffs are boring.

Return to “Gaming”