The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

My latest two additions were Immersive Armors and Immersive Weapons, and they definitely add more to the experience than I would have expected. Without much choice, I saw vanilla armors and weapons as simply being a matter of figuring out the strongest possible stuff for my current build, and so not having much choice didn't matter. But now that I do have a lot of choice, and thinking things like, okay, she's a hunter, and so this Snow Bear armor seems to fit pretty well with that, but she's also Redguard, so one of the (greatly expanded list of) scimitars would be a nice weapon to have, and oh man that new bow looks so freaking awesome I think I'll make that as well.

As for enchants, that's exactly what I usually do on magic-using characters as well (though I've used destro/illusion reductions instead at times, for things like making everyone around me stop fighting so they'll stand still while I explode them), but my current character is going an almost no magic route (except for healing between fights and miscellaneous stuff like that). If you don't mind a little cheaty, the Soulfire mod gives you the power to recharge weapons from your own magicka, at a rate that improves with your enchanting skill, so you don't have to keep worrying about recharging them with soul gems. (The first character I used it with already walked around at all times with tons of gems, so I always *could* recharge that way, and the mod was more a convenience than a cheat.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 pm UTC

When I played a heavy mage, I had my "walkin' around" set, which was an Illusion/Conjuration reduction set. Gave me several neat tools to use against unexpected encounters.

I also had my "OH SHIT" set, which was Destruction/Restoration. That was what I'd throw on when I got overwhelmed and my "new" friends from the Illusion spells weren't helping enough. Thunderbolts until everything is a fine mist.

And then I had my "Screw Everyone" set, which was Illusion with a lot of Fortify Stealth as well. Used it for sneaking around in places.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Once you have Invisibility and the average Stealth level you'd get to by the time your illusion is high enough for Invisibility, is the fortify stealth gear really even that important any more?

Overpowered though it may be, I like mods that add additional enchantable wear slots. I think it's Immersive Armors that adds gold earrings, and there are Frostfall's cloaks, plus individual custom armor sets that include pouches and satchels and such each with their own benefits.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:38 pm UTC

I don't like the spell Invisibility. Makes you watch a timer, sets you running around based on it, recasting and so on...

I prefer to just sneak through. The extra bumps in skill are nice.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 pm UTC

I like running, so I almost always have a pair of boots with stamina/stamina regen enchant.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

Koa

Postby Koa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:12 am UTC

I decided I would do one last thing in Skyrim. I would try out a survival playthrough, playing a character that lives off of the land until I got bored. Main mods I picked up are ACE, Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, and SkyTEST.

I'll start with Realistic Needs. I need to eat, drink, and sleep on a typical daily basis. I can die of thirst and hunger. Being hungry, tired, or thirsty gives me certain stat penalties. Some food/water provides multiple servings and small bonuses. Food comes in small/medium/large sizes. Eating too much gives me a speed debuff for a short while (glutton). Eating raw food has the chance of disease. Same for water if it's not boiled. Every 'food' bottle (usually wine, mead) doesn't disappear after use. You can refill it with sea water (for cooking salt), river water, etc. There's also lots of options in the mod for how quickly you get hungry, whether you want food to spoil and at what rate, and so on.

ACE is a big overhaul to make the skills and perks a little more interesting, less broken, or less useless. The changes aren't crazy like SkyRE, ACE is a little more closer to vanilla. The main thing I like is the different states you can be in. If you're standing completely still, you're affected with a spell: "Flat-Footed (Sheathed) -- You're unprepared to fight and have a +25% chance to take 50% more damage, +5% chance of receiving a critical hit, and get staggered 25% more. Draw your weapon!" There are different effects for holding a shield, holding a torch (+% fire damage given and taken, sneaking disabled), jumping, sprinting, being staggered, wearing heavy armor, etc. Being Inebriated gives some damage resistance and +5 unarmed skill. It's clever.

SkyTEST adds new creatures and creature behaviour. Wolves in packs, deer with fawns, small spiders, ducks... It adds to the wildlife. You won't just get attacked by any bear that spots you.

Frostfall has come a long way since I tried it last. Instead of just dying in the cold and manipulating berries, there's a very impressive camping gear system that lets you set up camp fires, tents, cooking pots, and more anywhere you please. I believe the mod also checks to see if you have any natural shelter by checking if there's any geometry above your head. The looming threat of freezing to death along with requiring sleep and resources makes traveling from one place to the other fairly interesting.

Most of Skyrim is warm enough. I did get caught once in a snowstorm in the pass between Falkreath and Riften. The storm would kill me in 5 minutes so I had to stay in the Stormcloak camp until it passed. I joined up with the Stormcloaks a little later and started their first mission, which is to travel to the serpent stone on an island in the frozen north. Without these mods, this is trivial. With these mods, I nearly died. I didn't go with a snowberry extract and I tried to get as far north as I could, jumping along the drift ice until I eventually slipped in the water. After a second of being in the water I got a white flash visual cue and a notification that the water is freezing. I didn't have much time. Thankfully I wasn't far from the island and quickly swam up and started a fire with the wood I had in my bag. Thinking everything was fine, I dried off and pitched my tent to sleep until morning for the return swim.

Screenshot of me drying off (there's automatic hand warming animations in third person with frostfall):

2014-02-04_00017.jpg

I woke up at dawn and my fire had long gone out. Stepping out of the tent I was quickly beginning to freeze. I didn't have enough wood to restart the fire, and there was nothing but deadwood branches on the small island. I collected all the branches I could but it was getting too cold. My body was entering hypothermia, my vision blurred, and I got the message "you are too cold to collect wood." I still didn't have enough to start a fire and was moments from sure death, stranded by the frozen sea. I looked into my pack and found some ale. I guzzled it down for a last stand against the cold (alcohol gives +15 warmth then -20 after a short time). I found the last few pieces of wood I needed and started the fire. After warming up again, I made sure not to run out of wood as I made it back to Windhelm.

So Skyrim is interesting yet again for a while. If anyone wants to try that set up, I would recommend turning on food spoilage, because it's tempting to hoard food and feel forever safe against hunger. If you come across any campfires you can light them by bashing it with a torch or using a fire spell. I don't think you can freeze to death as long as you're inside a tent either, but I could be wrong.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:54 am UTC

Hunterborn is also a nice one if you're doing a live-off-the-land playthrough. You actually take time to skin and harvest stuff from animals, but it also adds new animal-part alchemy ingredients, possibly enough to allow a completely carnivorous alchemist playthrough if that suited your fancy for some reason.
---

(he/him/his)

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:31 pm UTC

I really like the idea of a hunter-gatherer playthrough with all of the realistic needs stuff, but just can't bring myself to go over so much familiar territory again on a new character, and doing that sort of RP on my godlike main seems silly. I played Morrowind and Skyrim when they first came out but never bothered with Oblivion, so this would be an ideal chance to kill two birds with one cup, but I'm skeptical about going back to a relatively old game.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:56 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Hunterborn is also a nice one if you're doing a live-off-the-land playthrough. You actually take time to skin and harvest stuff from animals, but it also adds new animal-part alchemy ingredients, possibly enough to allow a completely carnivorous alchemist playthrough if that suited your fancy for some reason.
There's also a mod that makes animals drop more meat/pelts and such, but I forget the name. Aims for realism, so it makes things like mammoths drop a fuckton of meat so you can feed for a month, but rabbits don't drop much meat at all.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:52 am UTC

Yeah, that's an option in Hunterborn, with the "realistic" meat setting being 50% of the animal's carcass weight.

Which, considering that the same mod treats mammoths as having a weight of 12,000...
---

(he/him/his)

Koa

Postby Koa » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:44 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:There's also a mod that makes animals drop more meat/pelts and such, but I forget the name. Aims for realism, so it makes things like mammoths drop a fuckton of meat so you can feed for a month, but rabbits don't drop much meat at all.

I was using that, but increasing the animal meat for realism outlines how unrealistic hunting is in general in skyrim. Even with SkyTEST, which does a great job in expanding the wildlife diversity and AI, killing a deer is so trivial that it will happen on accident, and then there's enough food for several weeks on the carcass. Hunting with the goal of obtaining food became pointless because I would run into a bear or find a deer that was killed in crossfire. The game was throwing more meat at me than my lustful body would ever need, and there are so many other sources of food available. I went back to vanilla drop rates so that at the very least I might decide to kill something on purpose, but even then..

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

So use another mod with food spoilage, and sell off whatever you won't be able to eat by the time it spoils. Also, Hunterborn makes it take time (from several minutes to several hours) to butcher an animal, which also has consequences if you have needs mods and Frostfall. Prevents you from looting animals in combat, too.

m4d4sb34ns wrote:I really like the idea of a hunter-gatherer playthrough with all of the realistic needs stuff, but just can't bring myself to go over so much familiar territory again on a new character, and doing that sort of RP on my godlike main seems silly. I played Morrowind and Skyrim when they first came out but never bothered with Oblivion, so this would be an ideal chance to kill two birds with one cup, but I'm skeptical about going back to a relatively old game.
Skywind and Skyblivion are really cool-looking projects, though neither is finished yet. Also I suggest having a save game right after you kill the first dragon by Whiterun, which you can load and twerk if you want to do a new playthrough without starting over from the very beginning.
---

(he/him/his)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

That wordfilter is fantastic.

I have a save at Riverwood, because with some chars I don't quite call the dragons down yet.
Am I gregnant

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:57 pm UTC

I enjoyed the Live Another Life mod. It lets you pick from several different places to start, including being a citizen of Solitude and already owning the house there. The main quest doesn't start until you go to Helgen and run into the Imperial guard in a cave. (The journal says the guard thinks you're the captive he was talking to earlier.)

Since the part of the game I enjoy least is the whole cart-ride-to-head-chopping sequence, *and* I typically save the main quests for last when I play Bethesda games, this is right up my alley.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

The intellect of man is forced to choose / Perfection of the life, or of the work,
And if it take the second must refuse / A heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats, writer, Nobel laureate (13 Jun 1865-1939)

Koa

Postby Koa » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:58 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:So use another mod with food spoilage, and sell off whatever you won't be able to eat by the time it spoils. Also, Hunterborn makes it take time (from several minutes to several hours) to butcher an animal, which also has consequences if you have needs mods and Frostfall. Prevents you from looting animals in combat, too.

I do actually, but there's still food everywhere. I pass by more than half of the food I come across partly because it will spoil before I ever need it and partly because of weight. I could increase my hunger rate even more than I already have but I think it would be silly if I would need to eat an entire bear every few days. I'm not a fan of becoming a hunter by profession either. Skyrim wasn't designed in a way that would make that interesting to me. NPCs don't consume and there's no economy. There's no progression like in smithing or alchemy, and it's not exactly the most lucrative. No tricks to it -- shoot the animals that are everywhere and there you go.

So, right, vanilla rates is fine with me. A few pieces of meat for a kill seems reasonable to me considering how easy it is, even if it does attenuate big game kills. It's all I would take anyway and I could hardly call myself a hunter if I left the vast majority of the meat still on the carcass.

Weeks wrote:That wordfilter is fantastic.

I made a funny. You ruined everything!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:58 am UTC

Okay, here's a new one. Have any of you ever had Talsgar the Wanderer steal their horse? I walked away from it, and when I came back, Talsgar was sitting on it, and I had to kill him to get it back.

It may have something to do with a mod I installed to make horses and enemies ignore each other in combat, but I can't imagine that would cause NPCs who don't normally have horses to just hop on the first one they see. Apparently Talsgar's AI says "no crime" but I'm not sure if NPCs activating horses counts.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:17 am UTC

I've never had problems with horses. Then again, I practically never use horses. I also have never heard of an NPC stealing a player horse.

You can probably reproduce the event (summon Talsgar the Wanderer with player.placeatme 83d99) and uninstall/reinstall mods until you isolate the issue. Seems like a lot of work, but that's Skyrim mods for you.
Am I gregnant

Koa

Postby Koa » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:57 pm UTC

That's funny. Reminds me of GTA.

Talsgar is no loss, but I think you could get him or others off the horse by 'disable'-ing them, optionally getting on the horse yourself, and then 'enable' again. I seriously doubt they would get crime for that though. The engine is very scripted and player centric. Even if a NPC had a script that caused them to do a crime and setcrimegold to them, there are no systems in place for guards or anyone to do anything with that information, so it would be redundant. I bet even the random encounter thieves don't get crime.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:49 pm UTC

Yeah, the disable command probably would have worked. To be honest, fast traveling probably would have too, but instead I decided to take it in character and be all GET THE FUCK OFF MY HORSE.

The AI crime thing I was referring to was the Morality variable. I think it's only used for followers though.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:34 pm UTC

I hesitated a long time buying this on PC (since I already have the PS3 version), but I finally took the dive. I'm amazed at some of the high quality mods - even better than I expected.

Right now I've got 2k HD textures, SkyRe, Realistic Needs, and Frostfall. I'm loving it so far! Especially the fleshed out perk trees (vanilla ones are rather bland, especially making one and two handed weapon perks virtually identical).
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 pm UTC

I just started playing (after all this time).

Two townspeople in Whiterun were just killed by vampires while I was being attacked by cultists. I can take their stuff. Is that normal?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 29, 2015 9:19 pm UTC

Which part?

I mean, yes, all of that is normal. But which part in particular were you wondering about?

(It can be frustrating to enter Whiterun when multiple ambushes like that have all triggered automatically since the last time. There are mods and console commands, if you're on PC, that you can use to make sure they don't wipe out most of the townspeople.)
---

(he/him/his)

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 pm UTC

I'm still not decided on which side of immersive open world and annoying derailment of story it is.

Though do their corpses really just lie rotting in the street forever?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:29 pm UTC

I think each "cell" of the map has a refresh period where it erases corpses and stuff. It might be on a really long timer though.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Sat May 30, 2015 11:48 am UTC

Mods fix everything if you're on PC.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 30, 2015 1:23 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I'm still not decided on which side of immersive open world and annoying derailment of story it is.

Though do their corpses really just lie rotting in the street forever?

Three in-game days is usually the threshold for a lot of things, including cleanup. I can't remember if you have to be away from the cell for that time period or not, but I want to say that you do.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat May 30, 2015 4:12 pm UTC

Dthen wrote:Mods fix everything if you're on PC.
Also the console. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console
Am I gregnant

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 30, 2015 5:37 pm UTC

Yeah, the console can be used to just delete those pesky corpses that sometimes accumulate in towns.
---

(he/him/his)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat May 30, 2015 5:47 pm UTC

For no reason at all. I just don't get it.

I'm planning to work my way back up to Skyrim through the older games that still run on my system. Starting with Neverwinter, for no particular reason. By the time I've gone through Morrowind, DA:O, Oblivion, Fallout:NV, and DA2, I expect Skyrim to be a wonderful walk in the park run through the hills.

Also, enough time will have passed that there will likely be a new game in one of those series. Particularly after I add DA:I to the end of the run. Either that or I'll finally give in and try something in a Mass Effect or similar entity.
TEAM SHIVAHN

The intellect of man is forced to choose / Perfection of the life, or of the work,

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 30, 2015 6:59 pm UTC

Are you planning on using the graphics mods?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat May 30, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

I mostly haven't, just because of the number of times I've tried and got conflicts, or errors, or the mods required four other supporting installations. I might this time around.

Can't play Skyrim without Live Another Life, though. I loathe the vanilla opening sequence - too long, too depressing, too boring after the first time.
TEAM SHIVAHN

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 30, 2015 7:32 pm UTC

I spent so long with Morrowind that I can't imagine playing it again unless I can make it look like Oblivion.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 30, 2015 9:06 pm UTC

Well you can always keep holding out hope for Skywind.
---

(he/him/his)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun May 31, 2015 12:00 am UTC

Has there been word of a future installment, or is everyone hung up on Online?
Am I gregnant

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun May 31, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

Not yet - Fallout 4 is probably going to be announced in a couple of weeks, though, so I assume they'll get to work on TES VI right after that comes out. Bethesda have a habit of being very hush-hush about their titles until we get relatively close to release too, so I wouldn't expect anything for a while yet.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:54 pm UTC

Other folks still playing this?

I started yet another playthrough when my new computer arrived and I could finally try out those beautiful ENB mods everyone takes screenshots with. But of course I'm also addicted to mods, so there's a real possibility I'll max them out (there's a hard limit of 255 plugins) by the time I move on to Fallout 4 next month.

After starting another no-magic hunter/thief character (with the Hunterborn and Sneak Tools mods), I've been especially focused on immersive archery and stealth mods. And every time something makes my game crash, I think of something else I want to add. (The latest is Locational Damage or something like that, which means sticking an arrow through someone's eye and out the back of their head, for example, will be fatal now instead of just knocking off a few percent of their hitpoints.)

What categories of mods are other people into?
---

(he/him/his)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

ENB is fantastic and can no longer play without it. I'm using Skylight at the moment. In fact I've been redoing Dawnguard just to see how everything looks now.
Am I gregnant

wst

Postby wst » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:38 pm UTC

I've just entered Tamriel for the first time with Skyrim SE and... well, I might be playing on a 5 year delay but I won't start quoting the guards. I'm enjoying it immensely.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:41 pm UTC

But the guards are best thing about Skyrim.
Am I gregnant

wst

Postby wst » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:59 pm UTC

I must've been in Whiterun 3 hours before I heard about anyone's former adventuring habits.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Return to “Gaming”