The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Postby Dark567 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

Yeah. There are definitely trade offs to the quest markers and fast travel. They seem to make the quest design lazy.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

I liked the Morrowind style of brief quest descriptions with more details available in the journal. The journal also allowed for some commentary from the character ("I feel stupider for having dealt with these people").

I'm still finding Skyrim fun enough to lose track of a couple of hours at a time, now that I've worked out the bloody damn video driver bloody issues. (After a second DriverSweeper-fueled purge and a reinstall from the original NVidia disc, I can actually play for a couple of hours without the display freezing every few minutes -- fixed by alt-tab out and back in, itself causing a double-mouse-pointer problem -- and a yellow-out glitch after about half an hour. That was making the game borderline torture.)
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 am UTC

poxic wrote:I'm still finding Skyrim fun enough to lose track of a couple of hours at a time, now that I've worked out the bloody damn video driver bloody issues. (After a second DriverSweeper-fueled purge and a reinstall from the original NVidia disc, I can actually play for a couple of hours without the display freezing every few minutes -- fixed by alt-tab out and back in, itself causing a double-mouse-pointer problem -- and a yellow-out glitch after about half an hour. That was making the game borderline torture.)

So everyone is always talking about how great all the mods are and making me feel bad that I have the Xbox version and my computer is too crappy to run a real game and all that. Then I read something like this and I don't feel so bad.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

I've never liked the mods for the most part. Most seem too out if place and don't integrate well enough with the main game.

Except for the realistic lighting mod, that one is awesome.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:14 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:What about autosaves?

And I assume that you're fine with eating any food you find on tables inside dungeons. However, if it's just "restores 1 health", it might not be worth the time it takes to open the menu.

Autosaves? I guess I would not "exploit" the autosaves. Basically my thought is that if I happen to die, and the most recent save is an autosave that's fine, but I'm not going to choose to reload (an autosave or otherwise) if I get caught pickpocketing or trespassing or if some other risky behavior goes badly, but does not result in me dying.

About food in dungeons - yeah eating it there would be fine, and to your point it may not, often be worth it.

Thank you all for your input. I will return to lurking in this thread as I wait for the GOTY edition.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:I've never liked the mods for the most part. Most seem too out if place and don't integrate well enough with the main game.

Depends on the mod. Warmaster armor fits. Randy Savage dragons do not. Midas Magic fits, but may be unbalanced.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

maninblack wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:What about autosaves?

And I assume that you're fine with eating any food you find on tables inside dungeons. However, if it's just "restores 1 health", it might not be worth the time it takes to open the menu.

Autosaves? I guess I would not "exploit" the autosaves. Basically my thought is that if I happen to die, and the most recent save is an autosave that's fine, but I'm not going to choose to reload (an autosave or otherwise) if I get caught pickpocketing or trespassing or if some other risky behavior goes badly, but does not result in me dying.

I meant, if you set autosave to save every 5 minutes on menu open, and then just happen to open the menu frequently, it would be similar to quicksaving often.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Dark567 wrote:I've never liked the mods for the most part. Most seem too out if place and don't integrate well enough with the main game.

Depends on the mod. Warmaster armor fits. Randy Savage dragons do not. Midas Magic fits, but may be unbalanced.

I currently have somewhere between 30-40 mods installed, and none of them are out of place except the space core mod and the minecraft mods. Most of what I use extend or alter the gameplay (new weapons, various realism mods), or are bugfixes and enhancements (more realistic lighting, SkyUI).
Seriously, there are TONS and TONS of mods available. It's perfectly easy to find lots of mods that will improve your gameplay experience even if you want to maintain the tone of the game. And if you don't care, there's plenty of wacky shit to mess around with, too.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

I used to run a lot of mods when I played morrowind and try out lots of em too. Then one day I was flying around and I found a daedric longbow on top of the ald h'run (sp?) shell. looked it up and found no mention of it anywhere and realized it must be some mod. Which? Why? Just pissed me off to no end. Those things are incredibly overpowered to simply have laying around for a level 1 with a few gold to fast travel up there and jump on a building. Other mods would drop fully daedric equipped guards somewhere. Stealing their armor, or simply killing them, would multiply the number of pieces findable in the game by an order of magnitude!

I guess I just don't share the general mod community's opinion on negatively affecting game balance. If you add in any item more valuable or add in an equally valuable item easier to obtain through your mod, you are breaking the game balance. Particularly egregious items are ones easily lootable by low level characters, guards geared out with stuff more valuable than they are guarding, spells, scrolls, soul stones available for purchase way too early, etc.

I think 95+% of the mods that add content also add item availability that is inappropriate. I had a hell of a time finding a house mod without piles of stuff no level 1 should have access to, just for example. Even the house mod I use in morrowind has a merchant inside offering spells she has no business selling and an abundance of gold to trade.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Koa

Postby Koa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 pm UTC

The TES modding community has grown a lot over the years. You would have kids who would want powerful items and such for themselves and they would add it to their mod without much care for who would use it. If you want to make a good, popular mod today then your mod files have to be clean and often purist or with a purist version. So, you do share the general mod community's opinion on that matter.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:The best mod.

I'm lost for words...
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:The best mod.

I feel like the Khajit would have something like this. A dancing bear, anyway, since they are kind of like the Romani (aka Gypsies).

The Flail

Postby The Flail » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:39 am UTC

I have a 360, no mods =( Wish i could have a guitar riffing bear...and mudcrabs with top hats, and a troll moon =/

Anyone build a house in hearthfire though? I tried, but after logging over 900 hours and leveling over twenty characters to the soft-cap, i just can't play it any more. To those who are new to the land of Skyrim; Don't stay longer than a month, or you'll be as tired and haggard as the npcs that code there.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:15 pm UTC

It's not so much dancing as moving as it plays the lute/guitar.
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

I prefer visual mods and ones with minimal gameplay changes. Better textures/lighting/water. Stuff like Open Cities is just awesome too.

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:12 am UTC

Definitely want to try open cities, but my 9600gt is struggling a bit with Skyrim already and I expect having less discrete instances won't help matters. That one will probably have to wait until I build up the courage to get a gtx670. The "spend dragon souls on perks" is a nice one - Lets you continue buffing the character even when levelling becomes a pain, and the costs are modifiable if you want to make it a bit harder.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 pm UTC

So, dragon riding. Is there nothing I can do to escape this game?

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

Have to say I'm less than impressed by that new antagonist. There have been a whole lot of dragonborn, most of them more impressive than the ruler of a small island way back in the Merethic era.

Though this person being the first dragonborn confuses the Arcturian Heresy. (the Heresy holds that Wulfharth was dragonborn. But Wulfharth is frequently held to be the same entity as Pelinal Whitestrake, Harrald Harry-Breeks and Hans the Fox, and there is evidence that this person was one of the 500 Companions. The trailer dates the Dragonbeast to the age of the dragon priests, which occurs after Ysgramor's landing. It's of course possible that Wulfharth was another incarnation of Pelinal/Hans/Harrald that was dragonborn, while the earlier ones were not.)

EDIT: Also, spears. Yay!
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

...the Heresy holds that Wulfharth was dragonborn...
Er.. wha? Said he could use the voice. There's no mention of a Dragon anything or Akatosh intervening anywhere. I can't find a reference of him being called Dragonborn in either sense of the word.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:14 pm UTC

Ok, Dawnguard didn't jump at me too much, but Dragonborn looks fucking epic. Not least of all because I saw dragonriding and lots of Dunmer architecture.

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49 am UTC

I made a second album of screenshots I've taken. 1920x1080 scenery pictures. Some minor spoilers of Blacklight and Dawnguard.

My favorite.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:08 pm UTC

Blacklight?

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:26 pm UTC

Er, Blackreach. It's a place in vanilla Skyrim. It's different.

velkito

Postby velkito » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

So, after years of lurking, I finally registered here, in this forum, in order to post in this topic.

I seem to be missing something..or a lot of things, about this game. I think I know basic stuff like, for example, sneak attacks deal 2x or more damage(then again, how does soul binding work?), but I don't see how I could kick ass left and right 10 hours into the game, as per posts I've seen here. Any pointers on how to enjoy skyrim instead of just walking around aimlessly and feeling like a noob?

Thank you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

Sometimes it's because the person played Oblivion and knows the basic scheme. Sometimes it's because they're using a guide and kinda know what's going on. Sometimes it's because the person is just *good* at games in that they understand how block works out of the gate, and exploit it to their advantage.

I think I know basic stuff like, for example, sneak attacks deal 2x or more damage
Starting out, yes. Perks can increase it.
(then again, how does soul binding work?)
..Soul Binding? You mean, the art of capturing regular souls, binding them into Soul Gems, then using the Soul Gems to create Magical Arms and Armor? Simple!

Step 1 - Buy a Soul Trap spell.
Step 2 - Buy a bunch of different empty soul gems.
Step 3 - Go find a creature.
Step 4 - Cast Soul Trap on it.
Step 5 - Kill it.
Step 6 - Watch as mystical lights shoot out of it and a kinda.. reverse thunderclap-ish noise plays because you just captured it's soul.
Step 7 - Find an Enchanting Table.
Step 8 - Use the Soul Gem, some Unenchanted Armor or Weapon, and any relevant item bonuses you know. Make a new thing. And if your Enchanting is low and you don't have any or many perks in it, your new thing will Kinda Suck!

And you're done. That, of course, is assuming you've already used the Enchanting Table to smash up some Magic Items to learn the enchantment(s) on them.

, but I don't see how I could kick ass left and right 10 hours into the game, as per posts I've seen here. Any pointers on how to enjoy skyrim instead of just walking around aimlessly and feeling like a noob?
That's half the fun, though. To run scared from something at level 4 only to come back at level 15 and smash it's face in.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

It's pretty easy to struggle to get a foothold in Skyrim. If you know exactly what dungeons to do, and which artifacts to get early and which to wait on, then it's quite easy to go from 0 to demigod in 10 hours and then snore your way through Master difficulty. Higher difficulties are made with this in mind, so don't feel bad abusing that setting. Master requires a crafting skill to be abused for later levels, as well. Really it requires enchanting OR alchemy and lots of ingredient grinding OR smithing and lots of frustration.

Don't grind out your crafting skills early. You'll make the enemies too strong for your offense and armor.

Nord barrows tend to be the easiest dungeons, since they have draugr and skeletons, both of which are relatively frail.

Don't be afraid to run. Bears are fucking terrifying. You're not actually supposed to fight them early on. Think of them as the mandatory boss fight you can't win that every JRPG ever has, and run away.

Sneak/archer/light armor. (Later: a crafting skill if you want to make things very easy). Enemies in Skyrim are very stupid. Archery and sneak abuse this fully. You can get through most dungeons by shooting an arrow, then immediately sneaking back the way you came. The enemy will investigate, but only to around where you fired the arrow from. If you sneak away enough, he won't see you and will think that the arrow in his face must be him hearing rats. Wait until he goes back, then rinse and repeat. If you play Dawnguard, archery gets even more powerful once you get a certain bow and a certain elf offers to make you certain arrows.

If you don't want to do that, just grab some nice heavy armor, consistently upgrade your weapon and armor (either smithing or just what you can buy and loot), and buy all the healing potions you can find.

A follower can make some things difficult (running away, traps), but makes a lot of things easier. Just don't accidentally hit them when they fall down and the enemies deaggro.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

I think it helps if you focus on a couple things rather than everything. Easy example: instead of using both light armor and heavy armor, pick one and use that type exclusively. Same with one-handed vs. two-handed (vs. block? vs. destruction?). Pick the perks that you use the most.

Learning how to bash and power attack effectively (instead of just button mashing) can make you feel like a boss. If someone is winding up to power attack you, bash them to knock them out of it. Something I didn't realize for a while was that a power bash is different than a normal bash - with the block button held down, hold down the attack button for a second and you'll do damage with your shield (as well as maybe stagger more? I forget).

If you're just walking around aimlessly, then do quests instead. Maybe pick the main quest or join a guild and do that exclusively until it's finished.
-Adam

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:19 pm UTC

Also, it's going to make everything more convenient and fun if you focus solely on the main quest until you get Fus Ro Dah. Doing side quests without it just makes you feel like there's something missing.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:46 pm UTC

Indeed. I forgot my normal suggestion for the first time player - stick to the main quest (the one that has you reporting to the Jarl of Whiterun, then doing what he says) until you get to the part where you're supposed to attend a party at an Embassy. That's the point where you should feel free to wander off and do whatever as at that time you've got three words of a shout and a couple of words of a few others, you've gotten an idea as to what the actual story of the game is all about, you've made a few friends (some more secret than others) and generally should have an idea as to how the game works.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

My general method for playing this game is to forget that it's Skyrim.
I always forget that there's a sprint button & I rarely, if ever, use shouts.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:54 am UTC

I love when ridiculous decks work perfectly.

My current MTGO draft deck has 4 lobber crews. Last game I played one on each of turns 3,4,5, and then followed them up with hellhole flailer and abrupt decay.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 am UTC

Dthen wrote:My general method for playing this game is to forget that it's Skyrim.

b.i.o wrote:I love when ridiculous decks work perfectly.

My current MTGO draft deck has 4 lobber crews. Last game I played one on each of turns 3,4,5, and then followed them up with hellhole flailer and abrupt decay.
Looks like someone took Dthen's advice very seriously.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:01 am UTC

For once, I find I actually want to go online with Steam, rather than having it blocked from accessing the internet (to force offline mode). So I'll go allow it online and go to the store thingy.

Nope, I don't find Dawnguard all that appealing, so I'll get out of here and just run the game. ... but it won't start. Maybe it's because the Steam app updated while it was online, but not the game. OK, I'll go force the game to update.

... Well that took a while. OK, fine, let's go.

... Scriptdragon is causing a hard error? Wtf do I even have that installed for? Oh right, a mod that never ended up working. OK, took me a bit, but I figured out which files to delete. All right, now it will start!

... Now it's even worse. It'll start, but it freezes solid after the logo screen, requiring a hard reboot. Fine, fine, I'll uncheck all the mods and delete all the .ini files and force a Steam verification thingy, AGAIN.

... Still fucked up.

Fml. I'm going to go have a hot bath.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

Reinstall time!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 am UTC

Yep. Later. Decided to run at Morrowind again while I detox from Skyrim.

INSTALL ALL THE MODS!

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:05 pm UTC

I'm currently doing a series of iron man plays with skyrim. I got a mod that let's you choose your character at the start and then drops you off at random location (e.g. in a tavern or deep inside a draugr infested mine) instead of doing the usual tutorial/introduction mission. The first three plays ended hilariously shortly after they started as I ended up with a melee build in all three cases right in front of a cave/hideout and pulled a Leeroy Jenkins. Not a good idea.
The fourth one fares better. I raided Bleak Falls Barrow and did the Western Watchtower event, which yields enough loot to hire a mercenary, stuff him in some heavy armor, buy Courage, Stoneflesh and Healing Hands and go on rocking. Playing a squishy mage is maybe not the ideal build to survive, but I tend to let do my servants do their thing and just stand back to fire potshots with a trusty bow at unsuspecting enemies. Quite fun!

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:56 am UTC

I'm really enjoying playing through as an illusionist at the moment-mixing charm and sneak attack can take down solo enemies instantly, and frenzy is brilliant for multiple enemies. You can't fight undead, daedra and dwarven automatons until level 90 illusion, but hey-sacrifices have to be made.
nightlina wrote:Damn.. if there was a cannon ball thrown for every time someone was wrong on the internet.. well... I don't think we'd have enough cannon balls!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm UTC

Finally decided that I should play a mage and a vampire for once. All I would say is, Vampire Lord as a low level character pretty much rocks the faces off all the enemies. Like, hello one-shots ville.

Return to “Gaming”