Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

psion

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby psion » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:43 am UTC

I don't think the gray death is supposed to start for another 20 years or so.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 am UTC

Yeah, DX1 isn't for another 25 years. Hadn't realized that until I read the wiki a few minutes ago.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:31 am UTC

So, what do you guys think this is all about:
Attachments
code.png

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:34 am UTC

Speaking of takedowns, if you have the arm sword things, can you stab them to death with those arm sword things?
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:35 am UTC

Well when I click it it doesn't do anything.... so who knows? But it does sound like they are planning DLC.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:42 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:Well when I click it it doesn't do anything.... so who knows? But it does sound like they are planning DLC.
Well it's most definitely an ARG of sorts. There supposedly was another code up previous to this one though I didn't see it.

I can't make heads or tails of it though. :P

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:52 am UTC

Yeah, you can stab them to death -- hold down the takedown button and you stab the shit out of them. I usually use the silent takedown, though.

And yeah, it's goddamned DLC.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:35 am UTC

Kag wrote:
on some level I can't explain, it feels like Deus Ex.

I bet it's all the air ducts. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Never fear! In the far future, the architects will be exiled from the planet for their terrible design, but shall become Space Pirates and carry on the tradition of leaving ridiculously convenient ducts everywhere that allow their greatest enemy to bypass all their security.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
The trouble with getting stuff from those wall lockers in the second boss fight is that if you actually stop long enough to take stuff out of them, Miss Mantis is going to catch up with you and murder you to death. The way I did it was to just shoot all the power generators and use painkillers and high jump to survive electro-floor.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Second boss
Spoiler:
I just spammed frag mines until she dropped. Worked on Barrett and Namir, too (though I had to run around a bit in the latter). This was on the hardest difficulty

I'm currently on my third playthrough, and I've discovered that I am significantly better at stealth than I am at combat.

Opening cutscene, but with late game spoilers
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure good ol' Bob Page is talking to Hugh Darrow and Lucius Debeers. I'm not sure about the others.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Second boss
Spoiler:
I just spammed frag mines until she dropped. Worked on Barrett and Namir, too (though I had to run around a bit in the latter). This was on the hardest difficulty

I'm currently on my third playthrough, and I've discovered that I am significantly better at stealth than I am at combat.

Opening cutscene, but with late game spoilers
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure good ol' Bob Page is talking to Hugh Darrow and Lucius Debeers. I'm not sure about the others.

Spoiler:
I would guess that the person they talk about via text would be Dr Reed, and they get her at the very end in the hidden cutscene.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:47 am UTC

They lampshade a lot of stuff in this game.

So far I've heard maintenance crew talking about how escalators never work, and found emails about policy against having more than four emails in your inbox.

Enokh wrote:Yeah, DX1 isn't for another 25 years. Hadn't realized that until I read the wiki a few minutes ago.

It feels closer, given the frequent references to
Spoiler:
Manderley
. But I guess he was fairly old in DX1, so it's not impossible.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:02 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:For second boss
Spoiler:
[snip] If you have the explosive bullets upgrade for the revolver, which you should get ASAP if you don't, because it is awesome (you can use it to blow up doors and even the weakened wall sections you can bust through with the strength aug, also it does butt-loads of damage, it's basically easy mode for the boss fights and is a freakin revolver that shoots explosive bullets)
there's a lot of revolver ammo in one of the wall lockers so happy blasting. [snip]

Spoiler:
My tactic was to use the stun gun, the unload an entire clip of explosive revolver rounds on her while she was stunned. Repeat once more and she dies.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:07 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So is Tong in this game supposed to be related to Tracer Tong, or is Tong just a very common name in China?

Did anyone else notice that the first keypad code you're given is 0451, same as the container outside UNATCO HQ on Liberty Island? And the radios dotted around each level sometimes play music from the original Deus Ex. In fact there are loads of shout-outs to the original game.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
So is Tong in this game supposed to be related to Tracer Tong, or is Tong just a very common name in China?

Did anyone else notice that the first keypad code you're given is 0451, same as the container outside UNATCO HQ on Liberty Island? And the radios dotted around each level sometimes play music from the original Deus Ex. In fact there are loads of shout-outs to the original game.

The 451-code (think: Fahrenheit) is minor industry in-joke (mainly among former Looking Glass-developers). It was the first code in System Shock II as well (or rather 45100). It was my pin number on my bank card for a while. It's also in BioShock.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

The weapons in this game really seem to need a rebalancing. It seems so pointless to carry around the heavy machine gun when the Combat Rifle and Pistol are so much more effective. And I've only found one place where its useful to have the sniper rifle. I think its more an issue of the pistol being super overpowered (reminds me of Halo 1 heh) than the others being bad, per se, but its still somewhat annoying.

Spoiler:
In the part where you have to save Malik after you crash the sniper rifle is useful in killing the light/medium guys that are on the platforms. Oddly its MUCH simpler to kill the heavies with a single pistol shot to the head (with the armor penetration mod for the pistol) than it is to sniper them. They take 2 sniper headshots or 3 body shots to go down, compared to a single pistol shot. I ended up sniping the guys on the platform, jumping down and murdering all the heavies with my pistol and then just typhooning the robot to death.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
He is Tracer Tong's father. Tracer himself makes a brief appearance fleeing in a boat bearing his name after Jensen sets off the bomb on the boat. He's also mentioned a couple of times in emails.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I only used the Typhoon once in the entire game. There were a bunch of Harvesters guarding a door, and the door needed to be hacked so I couldn't just cloak and run past them. So I ran into the middle of them and let rip.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

Chen wrote:The weapons in this game really seem to need a rebalancing. It seems so pointless to carry around the heavy machine gun when the Combat Rifle and Pistol are so much more effective. And I've only found one place where its useful to have the sniper rifle. I think its more an issue of the pistol being super overpowered (reminds me of Halo 1 heh) than the others being bad, per se, but its still somewhat annoying.

Spoiler:
In the part where you have to save Malik after you crash the sniper rifle is useful in killing the light/medium guys that are on the platforms. Oddly its MUCH simpler to kill the heavies with a single pistol shot to the head (with the armor penetration mod for the pistol) than it is to sniper them. They take 2 sniper headshots or 3 body shots to go down, compared to a single pistol shot. I ended up sniping the guys on the platform, jumping down and murdering all the heavies with my pistol and then just typhooning the robot to death.

It's not about what is mathematically superior, but about individual play styles. Some people don't care that the sniper rifle isn't the most efficient weapon; they just care about being a sniper.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

I've never used the Typhoon, and can't use it this playthrough either.
Going for pacifist. Which I was going for on my first playthrough (Not purposely, I just avoided killing anyone for most the game, then I couldn't resist not using the souped up pistol of death.)

Maybe another time...

I wanted to use the sniper rifle a lot more then I did, but you can't attach a silencer to it. :(

Spoiler:
According to Wikipedia the ending cut scene, after the credits. It's implied by the achievement unlocked by viewing the scene ("The D Project") that Adam's DNA will be used as the basis for the creation of the Denton brothers.

Which is pretty cool.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Spoiler:
He is Tracer Tong's father. Tracer himself makes a brief appearance fleeing in a boat bearing his name after Jensen sets off the bomb on the boat. He's also mentioned a couple of times in emails.
Spoiler:
Actually, you rescue him from Belltower too if you have the explosive mission pack.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

Third boss
Spoiler:
with killswitch and no explosives
?

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

I just shot him bunches

Spoiler:
The room is a rectangle: I stayed on the "short" end and ran back in forth between the corners. Never stay still, sprint like mad away from the grenades he throws. I couldn't tell how much damage I took, but I don't think I ever got hit. It took a while, though. Sometimes you have to sprint across the long edge to trigger him jumping over a wall.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Third boss
Spoiler:
?

I used the laser-rifle for this one. with X-ray vision you can pretty much hit him anywhere in the room.
Dunno how I'd do it in your situation though. Revolver with explosive bullets?

Vapour wrote:
I wanted to use the sniper rifle a lot more then I did, but you can't attach a silencer to it. :(

Yea, because it was reserved for one of the pre-order packs o_o
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

3rd Boss.

Spoiler:
Hack the nearby turret, bring with you. Let it do all the work.

Success.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

Yeah, what the hell was with that? I can understand (I guess) giving pre-orderers stuff early in the game, but just flat-out denying someone items because they didn't pre-order?

Oh, sorry, I mean didn't pre-order at a brick&mortar. Apparently people who use Steam can suck it.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:
Spoiler:

Success.
Is it weird that I never bothered to get close enough to turrets to know you could move them?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Third boss
Spoiler:
?

Spoiler:
You know there's a glass wall in the middle of the map? I used the ends of that wall as cover because I noticed he kept jumping over it. So I ran to cover, waited until he jumped over that wall, then got a few clean shots at him. You only have a few seconds to attack him because he'll lob a grenade at you. So you have to run around and do it over and over again until he dies. That's what I meant by "multiple retries and sheer bloody-mindedness".

Alternatively, it appears the stun gun is actually quite effective against bosses if you have one. I'm on my second play-through and I just cheesed the second boss by using the stun gun, and then the revolver while she was standing still. It wasn't even modded with the explosive bullets. It was so much easier than shooting the power generators. I'm hoping the third boss can also be stunned.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Vapour wrote:
Spoiler:

Success.
Is it weird that I never bothered to get close enough to turrets to know you could move them?

You need the strength aug, but yeah.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

I just finished it and am disappointed that I didn't get the Pacifist or Foxiest of the Hounds achievements. I killed the intruders in the Sarif attack right at the beginning, only because I didn't know of any other way to deal with them, so I was aware I probably wouldn't get Pacifist. But I'm pretty sure I never set off an alarm...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Vapour wrote:
Spoiler:

Success.

Dude. You need to do this. Not only does it massacre ridiculous numbers of enemies, you get XP for it's kills (including headshot bonus if it gets lucky).

Another point that's easy to miss is that guards (including dead guards) disable laser beams when nearby. So you can either lug one around to walk straight through them.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Dude. You need to do this. Not only does it massacre ridiculous numbers of enemies, you get XP for it's kills (including headshot bonus if it gets lucky).

Another point that's easy to miss is that guards (including dead guards) disable laser beams when nearby. So you can either lug one around to walk straight through them.
I noticed the latter, particularly when I was using a living guard to get through some barriers and I knocked him out.

I only used turrets offensively when they were conveniently placed (which is a few places in the game, but not many) since I didn't bother to get close to them (can you hack them from melee? or only from the terminals as I previously thought?).

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:45 am UTC

Just so you know, hacking turrets to attack enemies will cause them to trigger the alarm, failing that achievement.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:02 am UTC

I was going for all three of the major achievements on my first run. Got all the way to the part immediately before the final boss fight before I was seen. Felt bad, man.

mr-mitch

Postby mr-mitch » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:43 am UTC

You never saved? I used up my 99 saves before I realised it would have been better to cycle through the first screenful (I thought they were unlimited <depression>...open tag, still depressed about this lol ).

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am UTC

Did anyone else think the final boss fight was ridiculously easy compared to the others?

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 am UTC

Enokh wrote:Yeah, what the hell was with that? I can understand (I guess) giving pre-orderers stuff early in the game, but just flat-out denying someone items because they didn't pre-order?

Oh, sorry, I mean didn't pre-order at a brick&mortar. Apparently people who use Steam can suck it.
The biggest problem with the pre-order stuff is the automatic unlocking devices. The shotgun looks cool and the silencer on the sniper is useful, but the default shotgun is much better and the sniper rifle isn't all that great in the game anyway, the remote explosives are basically frag grenades. The AUDs though, I really have no idea how you could play the game as a non-hacking build without them.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

psion

Postby psion » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

I found that the boss fights got easier as the game went on.

My main critiques with the game are the animations (self explanatory I think) and the motivations behind the story. I feel like Jensen had very tenuous reasons for everything that he did apart from the first and last few missions. It's as though Eidos built the missions first, and then put in the storyline reasons for why the missions exist later (which is probably what they did). The boss fights and the Bioware-style side quests didn't help anything either. With how strong the first 20 minutes or so of the game is, I feel like they missed a huge opportunity to make the player more invested in the story. What a shame.

Minor complaint is the cover system, or combat in general. Did anyone pick the hand stabilizer augs, the ones where you can fire more accurately while moving? If you're ever firing while moving, you're probably going to be staring at the game over screen in the next fraction of a second. I don't mind having to rely on cover, but even using cover felt too vulnerable. Blind fire is terrible, and popping out of cover for anything more than a second is suicide. I've even died using a cover-to-cover roll from an enemy at medium range that wasn't even facing me. The game forces you to sit behind cover, line up a headshot, quickly take it, and repeat. It gets dull.

SoapyHobo wrote:the remote explosives are basically frag grenades

They're more than that.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Did anyone else think the final boss fight was ridiculously easy compared to the others?
I killed the 3rd in under 10 seconds, so no. Mostly because I died once or twice to the last boss
Spoiler:
Once when the floor electrified and I wasn't expecting it to kill half the room... the other when I didn't notice she spawns some crazies behind you after you take out a pod.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

Kag wrote:I mentioned earlier that you can use high jump to survive the electric things going off.

Or if you have the EMP resistance (in the dermal armor section), you can simply ignore electricity, since it won't hurt you at all.

Return to “Gaming”