Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:47 am UTC

RandomPoem wrote:But seriously, although the other Deus Ex games were fun and innovative in their time, Human Revolution looks to be just that- a revolution. I can't waiiit!


I somehow expect a COD clone with shitty controls.Bu hey, bit jaded there.

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:27 am UTC

Hmmm. Crysis rage much? At least this game can't possible suffer from that. Can it?
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:40 am UTC

Technical Ben wrote:Hmmm. Crysis rage much?


Was it that obvious :D ?

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Hey, this game has conversations that you are actually in control of. By virtue of that alone, we already know it isn't COD-spawn.

My attitude: cautiously optimistic. Enough to pre-order it, but not the augmented or collector's edition.
Image

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby zmatt » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

infernovia wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZRYROjQPoI

Does that look awesome or what? Hopefully they make it as amazing as Deus Ex and do not follow Invisible War. Fat chance, I know.


A few things.

The trailer is pretty, but I find with japanese rpgs (especially square enix) the cut scenes are the game. They also invest more time into the promo videos and cutscenes then the actual game. I hate pre rendered environments and cut scenes. I feel throwing the franchise that pioneered the fps/rpg hybrid genre to the Final Fantasy boys will ruin it. This game will be 90% pretty cut scene and no gameplay. Aside from Bioware I can't think of any American developers at the moment who have proven themselves to know how to make a good fps/rpg hybrid, and mass effect was 3rd person anyway. If it were me I would have GSC game world do it. Those guys know how to make an fps/rpg.

Secondly, 2027 AD? Really? These guys are doing the same thing that bad 80's action movies did and setting events with advanced tech way to close to the present. We wont have cities looking like that in 16 years. The story also seems a little........done. Haven't we had a badass with a dead/kidnapped girl friends by a faceless conspiracy group about 20 times already. One reason snobs refuse to call video games are is because the writing is crap. Case in point, lets be a little original here. Or at least be better with the delivery than, "They took her from me, now I'm gonna take their lives."


Technical Ben wrote:Hmmm. Crysis rage much? At least this game can't possible suffer from that. Can it?


Unlike a lot of people I enjoyed Crysis. A lot blame it for just being a benchmark and not a real game. But I found the fact the whole island is accessible from the start very entertaining. I killed a lot of time attacking random supply points and blowing them up in creative ways.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:Unlike a lot of people I enjoyed Crysis. A lot blame it for just being a benchmark and not a real game. But I found the fact the whole island is accessible from the start very entertaining. I killed a lot of time attacking random supply points and blowing them up in creative ways.


Crysis is fine. Crysis 2 is a very shitty COD clone. "Cool special effects" make you constantly fight with the controls. If you turn around too fast, the game blurs. The camera is always forced away from you. Quick time events. Cover based regen health mechanisms. No ennemy variety. Plot is you being a good dog and obeying everyone. Extremely linear. Crappy upgrade system. "Streamlined" bullshit. Controls are like trying to mold butter. I could rant for ages.

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

zmatt wrote: The story also seems a little........done. Haven't we had a badass with a dead/kidnapped girl friends by a faceless conspiracy group about 20 times already. One reason snobs refuse to call video games are is because the writing is crap. Case in point, lets be a little original here. Or at least be better with the delivery than, "They took her from me, now I'm gonna take their lives."

Rookie mistake there. As any writer worth his salt will tell you, originality is not what makes something good*. Something can use the most tired and used plot in existence but still be amazing if the execution is done skilfully. Until the game is released, we know nothing of the execution. And the writing of videogames is crap because you, at this point, have two choices: a) you have a completely static plot which is completely invariable, giving you a good story but a bad game, in that for something to be called a game necessitates self-determination on the part of the player, or b) you write a complex web of stories to allow for player determination which, when progressed through, end up being at best disjointed and at worst nonsensical. Think of a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Story-wise, they are terrible pieces of shit that should have ended up in the agent's slush pile. This is kind of where we're at with videogames right now. There are people trying to fix this but it'll take a while.

* - Don't get me wrong; it helps but it's not the critical component.
Image

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:
Spoiler:
infernovia wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZRYROjQPoI

Does that look awesome or what? Hopefully they make it as amazing as Deus Ex and do not follow Invisible War. Fat chance, I know.


A few things.

The trailer is pretty, but I find with japanese rpgs (especially square enix) the cut scenes are the game. They also invest more time into the promo videos and cutscenes then the actual game. I hate pre rendered environments and cut scenes. I feel throwing the franchise that pioneered the fps/rpg hybrid genre to the Final Fantasy boys will ruin it. This game will be 90% pretty cut scene and no gameplay. Aside from Bioware I can't think of any American developers at the moment who have proven themselves to know how to make a good fps/rpg hybrid, and mass effect was 3rd person anyway. If it were me I would have GSC game world do it. Those guys know how to make an fps/rpg.

Secondly, 2027 AD? Really? These guys are doing the same thing that bad 80's action movies did and setting events with advanced tech way to close to the present. We wont have cities looking like that in 16 years. The story also seems a little........done. Haven't we had a badass with a dead/kidnapped girl friends by a faceless conspiracy group about 20 times already. One reason snobs refuse to call video games are is because the writing is crap. Case in point, lets be a little original here. Or at least be better with the delivery than, "They took her from me, now I'm gonna take their lives."

Technical Ben wrote:Hmmm. Crysis rage much? At least this game can't possible suffer from that. Can it?


Unlike a lot of people I enjoyed Crysis. A lot blame it for just being a benchmark and not a real game. But I found the fact the whole island is accessible from the start very entertaining. I killed a lot of time attacking random supply points and blowing them up in creative ways.


Sorry, I meant Crysis 2. Crysis was a great game. Warhead too. Although I feel that one was less open, and missed some of the good parts of the original. But The two, play like a good complement of each other.
Crysis 2 however, was a let down, because they promised one thing, and delivered another. Or they did not follow on from the original. I guess, they got away with the Crysis and Farcry differences, because the games had different names. If they called it something else, it would not be measured to the original. Many thought Farcry 2 was a good name. I skipped it, because I see no relation to "Farcry" it's instead more like "Desert commando". ;)
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby zmatt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 pm UTC

Ah ok, I just remember around 2008-2009 people hating on crysis. I always attributed it to butthurt kids who couldn't afford the hardware necessary. I have yet to play Crysis 2. I was hoping it would be a good follow up, but I am not surprised it CoD with Aliens. One thing I have also noticed, (feel free to disagree with me, this is an observation) a lot of gamers at least on the PC side are hostile to open ended games. Case in point Stalker and Far cry 2, both games I loved. While stalker still had a definite end to it , always thought of it as elder scrolls with guns, and Far Cry was great. The story was good, the acting was believable and setting up ambushes on convoys was awesome. I remember a lot of people complaining about being "lost" and wanting the plot shoved down their throats. It seems that premade linear plots sell because thats what all of the current FPS have.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

I have an aversion to games that are too sandboxy. I hate Oblivion and Fallout 3 with a fiery passion for that reason. I'm fine with New Vegas, as it's has a plot to fulfill and all the sandbox stuff are things you do to make that happen. I'm also fine with games like GTA. What I don't like is games that are like "Oh hey! We made a cool engine, and large map with NPCs. Have fun running around doing endless fetch quests and you may get a shiny achievement!"
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

Strange. I'm sure you can play Fallout 3 and totally avoid side quests. :/ It was more of a better "do what you want" game then Oblivion IMO. As it had interesting levels and quests. No generic dungeons.
Crysis and Far cry were too "unguided" at points I suppose. There is nothing wrong with an open sandbox game. It's when the main goals or actions are left out. Imagine HL3, or Portal 2 with zero restriction on movement. You would still need to play the normal route to get the story, but could explore the rest of the place at leisure.

That is what I am hoping for games such as DE:HR. To have a proper main quest/story/gameplay. But some depth or scope you can explore. Even linear games can add lots of detail, that you can get lost in (see HL2 or Portal 2 for example ;) ).
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

User avatar
WarDaft
Posts: 1583
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby WarDaft » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:34 am UTC

Imagine HL3, or Portal 2 with zero restriction on movement. You would still need to play the normal route to get the story, but could explore the rest of the place at leisure.
"At leisure" is directly at odds with any sense of urgency with the plot.

Freeroaming modes are fine, but they should be completely distinct from the story mode.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby EmptySet » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:35 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I have an aversion to games that are too sandboxy. I hate Oblivion and Fallout 3 with a fiery passion for that reason.


Oblivion was kind of lame as a sandbox game, though, even if you like that. All the dungeons were generic, as were the enemies, as was the loot. There was no point exploring because everything was completely uniform. Fallout was better but it's still not the best example of why people like those games.

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:10 am UTC

WarDaft wrote:
Imagine HL3, or Portal 2 with zero restriction on movement. You would still need to play the normal route to get the story, but could explore the rest of the place at leisure.
"At leisure" is directly at odds with any sense of urgency with the plot.

Freeroaming modes are fine, but they should be completely distinct from the story mode.

Who says the plot is urgent? Really, does every story have to be "kill this guy" or "get there quickest"? :roll:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

User avatar
WarDaft
Posts: 1583
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby WarDaft » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:Who says the plot is urgent? Really, does every story have to be "kill this guy" or "get there quickest"? :roll:
If the plot is never urgent, then its very very hard to make anything convincingly important. If there's nothing important in the plot, then it has to be a character based story to be interesting... if game developers can almost never even get a plot based story done right, how are they going to manage to do convincing character based writing? Particularly when the characters will wait an arbitrarily long time for you to move the story forward and not hold it against you.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby zmatt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:38 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:
Technical Ben wrote:Who says the plot is urgent? Really, does every story have to be "kill this guy" or "get there quickest"? :roll:
If the plot is never urgent, then its very very hard to make anything convincingly important. If there's nothing important in the plot, then it has to be a character based story to be interesting... if game developers can almost never even get a plot based story done right, how are they going to manage to do convincing character based writing? Particularly when the characters will wait an arbitrarily long time for you to move the story forward and not hold it against you.



My friend had an interesting solution to this problem. A lot of games have a point before a big boss battle where an NPC says something to the effect of take some time to get ammo/health get ready etc. The game will wait in indefinite amount of time until you cross a certain scripted thresh hold such as leaving the room you are in or something before it starts the battle. Instead of waiting a certain length of time how about having a timer ,but one unknown to the player and if he takes to long, maybe tying up side quests or something, when he comes back everything is destroyed, the bad guys won and all of your buddies except one is dead. You walk over to the only survivor and his dieing words are "where did you go? We had a job to do!" And then you lose twenty dollars and my self respect.

I think building in time requirements or letting NPCs act in a non scripted fashion would fix a lot of that. Why should they wait in their lair for you to come and fight them all leveled up with the best items, isn't it more realistic for them to come out with an army taking you down?
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

See Also : Fallout 1&2 with their time limits. Spend too much time screwing around too much, bad things happen (Vault runs out of water/Supermutants invade)

The issue I've seen with a lot of open world games is the mission structures have a sense of urgency about them, or that if you were This sort of person in This situation, you'd ... really want to resolve this quickly.

See : Oblivion - There's an invasion and the ONLY person who can stop it needs your help and it needs to be taken care of now? NO TIME FOR SIDEQUESTS!
Mass Effect : Yeah, once the "Track this asshole down" plot got going, I never found a reasonable point to go and dick around.
Saint's Row 2 : There's .. several different missions that end on cliffhangers or bad things happening due to other gangs intervening and so on, and the character is basically a revengeful asshole who has no reason to immediately strike back - and strike hard - at people who piss him/her off.
Fallout 3 : Track your dad (As urgent as your character wants it, I guess) / Invading Army (Either REALLY URGENT or you couldn't care less.. and if you couldn't care less, why would you do anything about it?)
Too Many RPGs to Mention: The Ancient Evil is wakeable, but the ritual people/it are more than content to wait for you to make it to the final room before finishing the ritual/waking up.

There's no incentive to dick around and help the postman deliver his mail or find the woman's missing greataxe or whatever wacky sidequests are in the game - but hell, this VGCats comic makes my point pretty well, I think.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

Exile/Avernum III had you explore the weakening Empire, trying to quench the sources of plagues of monsters.

If you dicked around for too long, towns got reduced to rubbles, npcs died...


And then after a few months
Spoiler:
a demon invasion started razing a good part of your own civilization; And if you took too long, well, they wouldn't wait for you... If you waited even longer, game over.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Kag » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:The story also seems a little........done.


Are you really making this complaint about Deus Ex?
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby zmatt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
zmatt wrote:The story also seems a little........done.


Are you really making this complaint about Deus Ex?


Forget that's a Deus Ex game for a second. Hell at this point the only thing that makes it Deus Ex is the name. Different plot, different characters, Different developer. What doe sit have in common with The original other than the fact it's set in the not too distant future? We hell even the sequel played a lot different than the first.

And yes the main character getting his girlfriend back from some bad guys is a pretty over used plot device don't you think?
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:And yes the main character getting his girlfriend back from some bad guys is a pretty over used plot device don't you think?


One would indeed think so.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:14 pm UTC

Most definitely, you have a point.


(holy crap this could go on for ages)
(Kerrigan is not his girlfriend)

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:(Kerrigan is not his girlfriend)


He's totally into her. But Jim "Captain Asperger" Raynor is afraid to make a move.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Kag » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:What does it have in common with The original other than the fact it's set in the not too distant future?


Gameplay themes, and, apparently the fact that the plot is overdone.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby zmatt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
zmatt wrote:What does it have in common with The original other than the fact it's set in the not too distant future?


Gameplay themes, and, apparently the fact that the plot is overdone.


I'm not going to bash the plot when it comes out if it is well done. It is obviously a popular and effective one. However, I'm not going to assume anything about a game's greatness just because someone bought the right's to it and can make a game with the name on it. What if EA got the rights to elder scrolls somehow, will you assume it will be anything like the last four just because it has elder scrolls in its name? of course not. A name means nothing, especially when you change the developer and publisher. If there is nobody involved in the game that was when the franchise was started there is no reasons to believe it will be as good, or at least will be anything lie it. Square Enix =/= Ion Storm. long drawn out cutscenes are not the same as racing ferraris when you are on the clock and having an ego the size of Dallas.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Kag » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:However, I'm not going to assume anything about a game's greatness just because someone bought the right's to it and can make a game with the name on it.


The name isn't the important part. It's the fact that the cliche plot made the first game better. You can't glean anything from that judgment in any context, but in this one it's especially ridiculous.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

not baby Newt
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby not baby Newt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:My friend had an interesting solution to this problem. A lot of games have a point before a big boss battle where an NPC says something to the effect of take some time to get ammo/health get ready etc. The game will wait in indefinite amount of time until you cross a certain scripted thresh hold such as leaving the room you are in or something before it starts the battle. Instead of waiting a certain length of time how about having a timer ,but one unknown to the player and if he takes to long, maybe tying up side quests or something, when he comes back everything is destroyed, the bad guys won and all of your buddies except one is dead. You walk over to the only survivor and his dieing words are "where did you go? We had a job to do!" And then you lose twenty dollars and my self respect.

I like it when the rules of a game are communicated to the player. Frex, inventory limits I need to think about but running out of arrows I dont. Hidden time limits break this. Could lead to situations where you have already lost twenty dollars and my self respect but the game doesn't tell you until five hours later which... is not so fun in 20+ hours games.

It ties in to the question of why even have side quests. The only sensible thing to do would be to ignore them and hurry up saving the world, (or arguably hiding on the other side of the planet). Also, what talon said.

In some sense quests make sense in paralell. Main quest + any five side quests gives a reasonable story. The other fortythree side quests require more suspension of disbelief, but to have both lots of side quests and a time limit encouraging you to ignore them... why?

With time limits and travel times between locations, like fallout1-2, you get the choice between 'reload from earlier save to pick up $item before leaving $location", real life 2 hours, game time 0; or 'travel back and get it', real life 15 minutes, game time 3 weeks. Though to be fair the highly visible water chip timer in fallout 1 worked ok, and by the time I played it the secret 'game over for no apparent reason' timer was patched away.

Dragon age (one) had no time limits (or in game time keeping at all) iirc, though there was a sense of urgency in the one quest that would fail if you left the area. But that was very strongly telegraphed.
Spoiler:
The zombies invade! Tonight!

I think building in time requirements or letting NPCs act in a non scripted fashion would fix a lot of that. Why should they wait in their lair for you to come and fight them all leveled up with the best items, isn't it more realistic for them to come out with an army taking you down?

This could be great but a different type of game, more strategy influences and less possibility of a tightly woven story.

infernovia
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby infernovia » Sun May 15, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

Guys, guys, you can now pre-order this game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901655/
Augmented Edition:
Free, giftable copy of Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition to play right now
Exclusive 40-page Artbook - Showcasing the concepts behind the world of 2027. Discover the origins of the design, the characters and the weapons of Deus Ex: Human Revolution
44-minute making-of chronicling the trials and tribulations of the Eidos-Montreal team
Motion comic based on the first issue of the DC Comics adaptation
Game soundtrack composed by Michael McCann
E3 Trailer and animated storyboard


zmatt wrote:Secondly, 2027 AD? Really? These guys are doing the same thing that bad 80's action movies did and setting events with advanced tech way to close to the present. We wont have cities looking like that in 16 years. The story also seems a little........done. Haven't we had a badass with a dead/kidnapped girl friends by a faceless conspiracy group about 20 times already. One reason snobs refuse to call video games are is because the writing is crap.

Dude, its the romance of our generation, and getting the girl is a well-known convention.

Look at Shutter Island, Die Hard, Fugitive, Groundhog Day, Spider-man or even something like the Graduate (yeah I know there was a bit more to it). Saving the girl is not a knock against it. I mean how is Ebert's top 10 movie for this year, specifically Avatar and Inception, that much different than a standard save the world plot or figure out your dead wife plot aka standard video game convention? The reason video games are still derided by snobs is because our generation hasn't controlled the world yet and because old foggies will always try to validate their tastes against the new one.

The best way videogames will move forward is stick to their course. Ultimately, another Deus Ex will do far more in the grand timeline then any abortive attempt at "better storylines" like in Heavy Rain. I mean, we all WANT superior plots, but a well-worn but good one is still liveable.

Edit: ALSO, it is not Square Enix who is developing the game. They are doing the cutscenes. The game is developed by Eidos Montreal. I am unaware of how many people actually worked on the older game though although Warren Spector isn't obviously leading the charge on this one.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:11 am UTC

So, yes. Pre-ordered. I think of it as a sequel to Deus Ex 2. That way it can't possibly fall below my expectations.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:53 am UTC

The Steam store page has been saying it'll be released in August 2011. Well, it's August 2011 now. Where is it?

By the way, for a protagonist that isn't JC Denton, he sure looks a lot like JC Denton.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:25 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:So, yes. Pre-ordered. I think of it as a sequel to Deus Ex 2. That way it can't possibly fall below my expectations.


I AM JC DENTON, WALKING GOD.
I, uh, have a gun and a bit more health.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:15 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:The Steam store page has been saying it'll be released in August 2011. Well, it's August 2011 now. Where is it?

By the way, for a protagonist that isn't JC Denton, he sure looks a lot like JC Denton.


Release date, according to wikipedia, is on the 23-26th of August, depending on where you live. Except if you live in Japan, then it's September 8.

SlyReaper wrote:By the way, for a protagonist that isn't JC Denton, he sure looks a lot like JC Denton.


I found some gameplay video and heard he even has that JCDenton voice. This is a good thing.


Another longer gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FjQNQYLrQA

Damn, this is actually looking quite promising.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Damn, this is actually looking quite promising.


The people on /v/ were skeptical at first; now they are squirting man-juices all over the place after playing the leaked beta.
Also, it is said that the fridge is a polyvalent weapon of incredible power, as well as a night-impassable shield, mobile cover, etc.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Xeio » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:15 pm UTC


User avatar
cephalopod9
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

I recently found out about this game from the Sarif Industries trailer and thought that whatever that was an ad stunt for must be interesting. Then I found out it was another Angry Dude Runs Around Stabbing Everyone Game and was less interested. (I don't play enough video games to be able to tell them apart)
Now I'm seeing the real trailer and it's Ghost in the Shell. (Except they changed the protagonist from Japanese, lesbian woman, to an angry, American(?) man, and everything is orange instead of blue.) I think even the timeline/time period is really close or overlapping.

SecondTalon wrote:The issue I've seen with a lot of open world games is the mission structures have a sense of urgency about them, or that if you were This sort of person in This situation, you'd ... really want to resolve this quickly. [...]
There's no incentive to dick around and help the postman deliver his mail or find the woman's missing greataxe or whatever wacky sidequests are in the game - but hell, this VGCats comic makes my point pretty well, I think.
I think this could be resolved with differing time allotments and speeds. A lot of games introduce the idea that time passes at different speeds or doesn't pass in certain areas, but the ones that I've seen leave it relatively outside of the plot rather than part of its structure. Big events in the backbone plot could be separated by chunks of in-game time giving the player some mandatory down time for side quests and RPG elements. It's simple enough that it's probably been done before and I just don't know enough games to have an example.
Image

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 pm UTC

I know this is backtracking the conversation a bit, but:
@psion: You don't see how Icarus relates to a dystopian future in which people are biomechanically enhancing themselves?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
psion
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:33 am UTC

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby psion » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

Nope.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

Icarus' dad made him some wings. Wings here being analogous to enhancing the human form and function. He died when he got carried away with the thrill of it and flew too close to the sun, the implication being that going overboard with the augs is going to end in tears in an analogous manner.

Never mind the symbology, the soundtrack for the Icarus trailer is fantastic.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

Icarus is a story about human hubris, how reaching to far can kill you.
Deus Ex is a game where humans enhance their basic form, giving them superhuman powers... Also, from what I've read about this game, it appears as though some shadowy organization is trying to direct the course of human evolution...

Do you see it now?
Er, what Sly said.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Icarus' dad made him some wings. Wings here being analogous to enhancing the human form and function. He died when he got carried away with the thrill of it and flew too close to the sun, the implication being that going overboard with the augs is going to end in tears in an analogous manner.

Never mind the symbology, the soundtrack for the Icarus trailer is fantastic.


It can also end in awesome.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests