Nintendo 3DS - Soon to be Cheaper, Still Headache Inducing

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Endless Mike

Re: Nintendo 3DS: March 27 (US), $249

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:Sweet. Free stuff.

If you consider $4 per game "free," I suppose. (Not that I'm complaining. They certainly could have just said "Thanks for supporting us!") Looks like there's some good stuff in there, too, and also Ice Climber and Balloon Fight! I hope the remaining 10 games are of similar quality.

As an aside, I transferred my DSi stuff to my 3DS, and it animates it with Pikmin carrying your stuff into your 3DS.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
legopelle wrote:Sweet. Free stuff.

If you consider $4 per game "free," I suppose.

Sweet. Semi-exclusive stuff. :D
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

No, the games are free, no-one bought a 3DS before this announcement expecting to get 20 NES/GBA games along with it. As you say, they could just have easily had said "Tough luck, thanks for the cash".

As someone who hadn't played OoT (or any of the other upcoming remakes) before and with free Excitebike and 20 more free games heading my way (of which I've only played Mario Kart) buying this has turned out pretty damn well.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:15 am UTC

Note to self: stop buying stuff on the Virtual Console until the full list is released...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

WaterToFire

Postby WaterToFire » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

I'm cool with this. All I've got is OoT right now, so a bit of free material certainly won't make me unhappy.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:18 am UTC

phlip wrote:Note to self: stop buying stuff on the Virtual Console until the full list is released...

Unless you're talking about the Wii VC, I wouldn't worry about it.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Nintendo 3DS - Soon to be Cheaper, Still Headache Induci

Postby phlip » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:05 am UTC

OK, so I have to ask, re: the new thread title, for those of you that get headaches from playing the 3DS... where do you put the 3D slider? Up the top, in physically-impossible-to-view eyestrain mode? Or somewhere in the middle, in physically-reasonable happyland?

[he/him/his]

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:28 am UTC

WaterToFire wrote:I'm cool with this. All I've got is OoT right now, so a bit of free material certainly won't make me unhappy.

I'm amused how they're re-releasing Ocarina of Time when, as Yahtzee has just recently pointed out, they could have just let it lie and been able to pretend that Twilight Princess was very original to a generation of gamers who weren't even born (or, at least, weren't playing games) when Ocarina of Time came out.

Seriously, as I play through Twilight Princess it really just feels like Ocarina of Time with a facelift. At least Wind Waker tried some new things.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

phlip wrote:OK, so I have to ask, re: the new thread title, for those of you that get headaches from playing the 3DS... where do you put the 3D slider? Up the top, in physically-impossible-to-view eyestrain mode? Or somewhere in the middle, in physically-reasonable happyland?
For the record, though I am the one who renamed the thread... I not only do not own a 3DS, I've never even seen one. Like, even a photograph, I think. Maybe? Do they look like the DS or something?

Because I figured - Hey, joke! I can make one!

Beardhammer wrote:Seriously, as I play through Twilight Princess it really just feels like Ocarina of Time with a facelift. At least Wind Waker tried some new things.
Yeah, and the amount of bitching and bellyaching people did when Wind Waker came out is Legendary. So they remade Ocarina of Time but with different levels, more or less exactly what the very vocal fanbase said it wanted.

Really, at this point I kinda blame the lack of innovation on the vocal reaction to Wind Waker.

I still liked the top thing in Twilight Princess that basically replicated griding in a skateboard game. That was fun. Wheeeeeeee!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

phlip wrote:OK, so I have to ask, re: the new thread title, for those of you that get headaches from playing the 3DS... where do you put the 3D slider? Up the top, in physically-impossible-to-view eyestrain mode? Or somewhere in the middle, in physically-reasonable happyland?

I don't get headaches (or haven't, anyway), but I find the middle to be easiest to see for where I want to hold the thing.

I'm playing OoT for the first time. When do I get to be a wolf? Since TP is apparently the exact same game, OoT must have a wolf in it somewhere.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

You don't get to be a wolf in Ocarina of Time, or get the spinner or get a giant ball and chain, it's pretty clearly inferior. Twilight Princess is Ocarina of Time in the same sense that BioShock is System Shock 2, I guess.

I haven't gotten any headaches from playing with the slider at about half way.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:35 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Really, at this point I kinda blame the lack of innovation on the vocal reaction to Wind Waker.

I still liked the top thing in Twilight Princess that basically replicated griding in a skateboard game. That was fun. Wheeeeeeee!

Yeah, I remember a lot of people hated Wind Waker. I liked the gameplay and the cel-shading was an interesting choice, but the art style itself didn't jive with me. Still, I thought it was a pretty badass game. I do remember people whining about it not being Ocarina of Time pt 2, though.

And, yeah, the little spinner thing is pretty awesome even though you basically don't use it as anything but a gimmick after you exit that dungeon. Easily the most fun boss fight in the game so far, even if it wasn't at all difficult.

I'm playing OoT for the first time. When do I get to be a wolf? Since TP is apparently the exact same game, OoT must have a wolf in it somewhere.

How does wolf form significantly change gameplay? You still attack and move the same way. Jump attack, "slash" attacks, even a spin attack. You get a super spin attack that you realistically only use against one specific enemy type (okay, two, because there's a giant bug you use it on), and not even then once you can fight them as a human again. You get "senses" which are only used for two specific purposes - finding specific spots to dig in (which typically don't require you to be using senses to begin with, they just make the spots more obvious) and following scent trails so you don't get lost on the way to the next plot area. Oh, and I guess you get to use Navi 2.0 to access areas that would otherwise be inaccessible, though human form generally gets to access them through tool use (hookshot, lantern, whatever.)

Oh, and you get to talk to animal NPCs who typically have nothing important to say. The only time I'd consider it at all important is in the hidden village so you can play the cat game to get the heart piece from the chicken.

SoapyHobo wrote:You don't get to be a wolf in Ocarina of Time, or get the spinner or get a giant ball and chain, it's pretty clearly inferior. Twilight Princess is Ocarina of Time in the same sense that BioShock is System Shock 2, I guess.

I haven't gotten any headaches from playing with the slider at about half way.

Spinner, ball and chain, etc, are all just gimmicks. You don't use the ball and chain pretty much at all once you're done with the dungeon you get it in, and the spinner is used extremely rarely outside of the desert dungeon. This is pretty much par for the course. You have a small set of core items you use constantly (hookshot, bow, bombs, and you could probably make a case for iron boots) and most everything else is just a gimmick item used in the dungeon it's found in, and maybe occasionally in the outside world to get to treasure chests and heart pieces, but otherwise not at all. After exiting the desert temple, I've used the spinner almost not at all. Once to continue forward in the Cave of Ordeals, once in the sacred grove to get to a treasure chest, and once more in the temple of time to progress a little further. Certainly nothing like the constant use of bow, bombs, and hookshot.

As mentioned, wolf form doesn't change the game in a significant way. The game still plays almost entirely the same (substituting special wolf abilities for tools and hidden skill attacks) when in wolf form as it does in human form.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:38 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Really, at this point I kinda blame the lack of innovation on the vocal reaction to Wind Waker.

Yeah, I remember a lot of people hated Wind Waker. I liked the gameplay and the cel-shading was an interesting choice, but the art style itself didn't jive with me. Still, I thought it was a pretty badass game. I do remember people whining about it not being Ocarina of Time pt 2, though.

Eh, I didn't really like Wind Waker. Not because it wasn't Ocarina of Time II, but because of all the sailing. It seemed like I spent forever just getting from place to place. It was made worse by the enemies that would constantly appear, forcing you to change your course minutely to dodge them, which wasn't at all challenging or interesting but prevented you from relaxing and enjoying ride. And overrode the awesome sailing music with generic combat music. Boo!

Majora's Mask was a better example of innovation, since it had the whole schedule and masks thing.

Spinner, ball and chain, etc, are all just gimmicks. You don't use the ball and chain pretty much at all once you're done with the dungeon you get it in, and the spinner is used extremely rarely outside of the desert dungeon. This is pretty much par for the course. You have a small set of core items you use constantly (hookshot, bow, bombs, and you could probably make a case for iron boots) and most everything else is just a gimmick item used in the dungeon it's found in, and maybe occasionally in the outside world to get to treasure chests and heart pieces, but otherwise not at all. After exiting the desert temple, I've used the spinner almost not at all. Once to continue forward in the Cave of Ordeals, once in the sacred grove to get to a treasure chest, and once more in the temple of time to progress a little further. Certainly nothing like the constant use of bow, bombs, and hookshot.

As mentioned, wolf form doesn't change the game in a significant way. The game still plays almost entirely the same (substituting special wolf abilities for tools and hidden skill attacks) when in wolf form as it does in human form.

I found the ball of chain to be one of the few items that did actually have a use outside solving silly obstacles which were clearly put there just so you could use it. You could bonk Redead and some other enemies with it from a safe distance. And the spinner was at least fun to use, even if it was a total gimmick. The real letdown for me was that stupid rod you get at the end, which has exactly zero application outside puzzles which are specifically designed for it, and which isn't particularly interesting or fun. They might as well have just made it the Green Key and put in a couple of Green Doors you needed it to get past. It would have amounted to the same thing.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:45 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:I found the ball of chain to be one of the few items that did actually have a use outside solving silly obstacles which were clearly put there just so you could use it. You could bonk Redead and some other enemies with it from a safe distance. And the spinner was at least fun to use, even if it was a total gimmick. The real letdown for me was that stupid rod you get at the end, which has exactly zero application outside puzzles which are specifically designed for it, and which isn't particularly interesting or fun. They might as well have just made it the Green Key and put in a couple of Green Doors you needed it to get past. It would have amounted to the same thing.

To be fair, I used the ball and chain to move those little fat statues around in the temple of time, before I got the rod. See, I never figured out I could use the rod to control those little things til the very end, when I misaimed and hit one of the little things instead of the big statue. I thought you had to use the ball and chain to drag them down with physics. Then I realize you can just move them and suddenly things are a lot less of a pain in the ass.

The ball and chain can be useful in a fight, too, but it's just so much easier to shield bash and helm split them, or backslash, or whatever. Or shoot them in the face with a bomb-arrow.

But, regardless, you could apply the "Heart Key for Heart door, Spade Key for Spade door" logic to most of the items you get in ANY Zelda game, but it's obvious in both OoT and TP. You find an item inside a dungeon (or in the case of the iron boots, just before you enter the dungeon) and you KNOW you will be using that item constantly throughout the dungeon, and you will be using it against the boss with 100% certainty, just like you can expect to have to fight a miniboss to get it in the first place. After you exit that dungeon, you probably won't use the item very much anymore. It's just part of Zelda, I guess, same with the "collect three plot coupons, end second act, collect more plot coupons, end game" formula.

Manial

Postby Manial » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

When I switch 3D on I keep it about a third of the way up, but I still get a headache after as little as 15 minutes with it on. Basically I just use it for cutscenes and never when travelling and manage ok. Strangely though I'm usually fine with 3D movies, I think it's more to do with motion and the double images that occur when you leave the narrow viewing angle.

That being said I'm loving my 3DS, mainly because I never had a DS and I've got several years worth of great DS games to play.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

Is stereoscopic 3d not breaking your eyes natural focusing parameters? IE You eye is use to being so-so crossed for an object so-so far away, with your focus at such and such an amount. The DS is 15 foot too close.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:Is stereoscopic 3d not breaking your eyes natural focusing parameters? IE You eye is use to being so-so crossed for an object so-so far away, with your focus at such and such an amount. The DS is 15 foot too close.

I am guessing this is part of the problem, yes. But the mind is devilishly adaptable. If you sit too long in front of a regular screen, you have some trouble getting your distance-judging back to speed.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

WaterToFire

Postby WaterToFire » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:59 am UTC

Personally I use the 3D at the highest level if I'm going to have it on at all, and I only have problems if I'm moving or use it for a very long time. Free games make me excite, especially since I had no intention of buying them otherwise- they'll be a new experience kind of thing.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:41 am UTC

legopelle wrote:But the mind is devilishly adaptable.

You have a point... maybe that's why I have no problem with the 3DS... I've long been fascinated with the mechanics of 3D vision, so I've got over a decade of red/blue 3D and Magic Eye and all this other stuff behind me... so I'm pretty used to the idea of having each eye focused on the page, but my binocular vision focused aways behind it... That probably goes a long way to me being comfortable on the 3DS.

Not if the slider's all the way up, though... in the (small handful of) games I've tried it on, what the game shows you with the slider all the way up is simply physically impossible. What the slider does is move the virtual cameras further apart, and then angles them in toward each other more. So that objects at screen level (usually the PC, for a third-person game, or generally stuff in the foreground) stay at screen level, but things in front of or behind screen level end up being in front of or behind screen level by more. The problem is that it gets physically ridiculous if it's set too high... where you end up with objects further away than infinity. More specifically, if you take the vanishing points for each camera (ie a point directly in front of you, but infinitely far away), then as you turn the sliders up, those vanishing points move further apart on the screen. If they move further apart than your eyes, then it simply isn't physically accurate.
To be physically correct, they should be exactly as far apart as your eyes, but for best results you want them a little closer than that to give you some wiggle room if the game starts messing with the lens angles. For the games I've tried (Rayman, Ocarina of Time) that's about the middle of the scale.

[he/him/his]

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 am UTC

I haven't had any problems with headaches from using my 3DS. I normally have the 3D slider about half way up and hold the system about 30 - 40 cm away from my face.
Anyway, this last weekend, I took myself off to a cafe that had wi-fi and updated my system, which included the internet browser. It's really good, I got on very well with it, and using the touchscreen & stylus to type with works really well.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:04 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I haven't had any problems with headaches from using my 3DS. I normally have the 3D slider about half way up and hold the system about 30 - 40 cm away from my face.
Anyway, this last weekend, I took myself off to a cafe that had wi-fi and updated my system, which included the internet browser. It's really good, I got on very well with it, and using the touchscreen & stylus to type with works really well.

With the store they're adding for it, I'm wondering at what point smartphones and portable gaming devices (damn, I feel pretentious using that phrase) will hop into bed. We have smartphones that play games and we have gameboys that surf the internet. People don't actually use smartphones as phones anymore, that's a goddamn myth and it needs to fucking die.

Heh, if you could get Skype working on the 3DS you really COULD make phonecalls with it.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

Well, I'm still using an 11-year-old Nokia 5110 phone, so this is another good reason for me to maintain that a mobile phone is for making calls and texting, and to refuse to change to a fragile smartphone.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

..yeah, while I admit that I have a game on my smartphone, I.. use it as a phone. And e-mail thingamajiggy, but it's not even close to a gaming device.

Then again, I'm old. I remember the introduction of the Game Boy, and not particularly caring then.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:With the store they're adding for it, I'm wondering at what point smartphones and portable gaming devices (damn, I feel pretentious using that phrase) will hop into bed.

Oh hai. It was a miserable failure, but its time has come again, I think. Just like the iPad.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Well, I'm still using an 11-year-old Nokia 5110 phone, so this is another good reason for me to maintain that a mobile phone is for making calls and texting, and to refuse to change to a fragile smartphone.

I don't even text. I use my phone as a paperweight and alarm clock primarily, sometimes as a phone. I worked for AT&T for a while. Nearly everyone I saw texted, emailed, or played games, but very rarely made actual phone calls.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:With the store they're adding for it, I'm wondering at what point smartphones and portable gaming devices (damn, I feel pretentious using that phrase) will hop into bed.

Oh hai. It was a miserable failure, but its time has come again, I think. Just like the iPad.

This little gem pops into my head, as well. $100 with a 2 year contract with Verizon.

In terms of what I use my phone for, I do a little of everything. I call, text, email, surf the web, I even have some games (though none that I pay for, they're all the free versions from the marketplace).
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Thisisnotasmile

Postby Thisisnotasmile » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:00 am UTC

This just dropped to £115 at Tesco and Amazon in the UK. I thought I was getting a good deal buying mine at £169 a couple of weeks ago at Asda thinking the best this was gonna drop to would be around £150, but buying it then meant I got the 20 "free" games. A pound a game seemed like a good deal to me. £55 for 20 old games some of which I've already completed is not good. Fuck.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:22 am UTC

Oh hey, the NES games for early adopters have been released. The final list, in addition to the previously-announced Mario, Donkey Kong, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and Zelda, also has Metroid, Wrecking Crew, NES Open Tournament Golf, Zelda II and Mario & Yoshi. Some decent games, fair bit of padding, but what are you going to do?

So far I've checked out Mario and it seems to work fine, though the controls are a little annoying. Given how the controls work in that game, playing with the analog pad is kinda painful, but the D-pad is awkwardly placed for using it as the primary controls. I've been playing for less than a minute though, and I imagine either one is something that will get better with practise.

It also comes with this "certificate" app, which is basically just a picture that says "I bought this thing early!" and also serves as an advertising-notification system (though what they intend to advertise through it, I'm not sure). Despite this, it manages to be about 4-5 times the size of the actual NES games. Possibly because though it's just a static picture with some words scrolling underneath, it appears to actually be a 4-minute-long video file. I'm surprised it's not in 3D, but I guess they decided "about as big as half the actual game content in the release" was already stretching it, let alone "about as big as all the actual game content in the release".

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a castle to break into, which I'm sure will have the princess in it this time. I can feel it.

[he/him/his]

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

Something about the 3DS controls feel off when playing NES games. I'm not sure what it is, maybe just that NES controllers seem to have just a bit more throw in the button presses.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

Oh look, it's getting a stupid, ugly add-on with an additional analog pad and some buttons that will assuredly be built into the first revision of the system. I guess it's a good thing downloads can be transferred?

http://kotaku.com/5837871/theres-more-t ... 3ds-add+on

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

Is it getting any games yet? They need to understand it isn't price OR lack of second analog that were holding back sales, it is lack of software.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

Um, Star Fox is out tomorrow.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Um, Star Fox is out tomorrow.

It's a port. So's Ocarina. I played both these games on the N64 I still own. I'm sure much of the 3DS's audience was gaming back then too.

Ocarina 3DS, as the platform's premier game up to now, has sold 1.2m copies. Will never catch up to the lifetime 20m sales of the premier DS titles.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

Whether the problem is not enough software, or the hardware is going to be revamped, it is always the same lesson to be learned:

Never buy the first version of the next-gen gaming handheld. Ever. A 1-year rule of holding off until the better version comes out (or is at least announced) is always the best policy. Not only is crap fixed, but you're also buying release-day games at a discount. I made the slight mistake of buying GBA a bit too early. Thank goodness they came out with the SP lighting system.

I agree with Game_boy: those that remember the game most likely have bought a copy on the Gamecube/Wii. Personally I am excited about new software that I can play at home for a while when my SO takes control of the TV, and then on occasion take it with me when I travel.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:18 am UTC

3DS's 2012 lineup revealed (Japan only for now).

- Fire Emblem
- Friend Collection
- Girl's Mode (a fashion game)
- Kid Icarus
- Animal Crossing
- Mario & Sonic at the London Olympics
- Culchobit (a soccer game)
- Shinrei Camera
- Dynasty Warriors VS
- Hatsune Miku Project Mirai!
- Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (an RPG from Square-Enix)
- Culdcept
- Paper Mario
- Luigi's Mansion 2
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Kid Icarus Uprising

See any 20m selling titles there? No 2D Mario is a glaring omission.

I think I'll pick up Paper Mario and that will be my first game for the console. It's been on a shelf since April devauling by £80.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:54 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:Ocarina 3DS, as the platform's premier game up to now, has sold 1.2m copies. Will never catch up to the lifetime 20m sales of the premier DS titles.

Ocarina and Nintendogs (the two best selling 3DS games) both have better penetration (about 25% and 40%, respectively) than New Super Mario Bros, which is the top selling DS game and closer to 15%. Compared to the number of handhelds sold, the 3DS games are doing very well.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
Game_boy wrote:Ocarina 3DS, as the platform's premier game up to now, has sold 1.2m copies. Will never catch up to the lifetime 20m sales of the premier DS titles.

Ocarina and Nintendogs (the two best selling 3DS games) both have better penetration (about 25% and 40%, respectively) than New Super Mario Bros, which is the top selling DS game and closer to 15%. Compared to the number of handhelds sold, the 3DS games are doing very well.

Software tie ratio (games : consoles)

360 9
PS3 8
Wii 8
DS 5
PSP 3
3DS 1.5 and falling

This week over 200,000 3DS units were sold (price cut bump) but under 100,000 units of software were sold. If this continues the tie ratio will under one, which is incredibly bad. Considering they also lose money per 3DS sold now, there is no good side.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

You're making a bad assumption, though, based on less than six months of sales. What was the early attach rate for the DS in that timeframe? The best I can find is an article from December 2006 stating that it was just under 4 after two years by which time New Super Mario Bros., Nintendogs, Brain Age, and Mario Kart DS (the top four best-selling DS games) had all been released (plus several of the other best-selling DS games).

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:You're making a bad assumption, though, based on less than six months of sales. What was the early attach rate for the DS in that timeframe? The best I can find is an article from December 2006 stating that it was just under 4 after two years by which time New Super Mario Bros., Nintendogs, Brain Age, and Mario Kart DS (the top four best-selling DS games) had all been released (plus several of the other best-selling DS games).

Yes, I agree the attach rate will improve.

The thing is, what are the games that will be 'top selling', (i.e. >10m and really drive adoption). DS sales were sluggish (PSP was seen as beating it) up until NSMB and the others were released, it does take those games to really make a handheld have more than PSP-in-the-West-level success.

I will concede Mario Kart.

Nintendogs clearly isn't selling the hardware by itself yet.
Animal Crossing is the exact same game for the fidth time (N64, Gamecube, DS, Wii). In particular the Wii sales were very poor.
Zelda is a 3D remake and will not. If it was an original 2D game I believe it would.
Super Mario 3D I expect to sell like Super Mario 64 DS, because it is effectively Galaxy 3 if you look at the trailers. It will not sell like NSMB.
No Brain Training.
No Pokemon for a while.
Nothing exciting on the schedule (Luigi's Mansion 2 and Kid Icarus appeal to the "Gamecube" audience that is only 20m strong.)

They need games that will bring people over from the DS (140m) or preferably even more "casual" than that games for a wider audience. Nintendo's sales have been best when they made "casual" games with extremely high production values. That is their niche (always was, even with Donkey Kong for the arcade). Their experiments in 3D, core-focused consoles failed (N64, GC, Virtual Boy). I believe they are obsessed with 3D even when making 2D games is both cheaper and will clearly sell more.

Because they are selling the hardware at a loss they need that attach ratio to go up fast to even be making money on the whole thing now.

Actually I could just let their stock price say all this, it went down 20% on their last quarterly results and 5% on the conference two days ago where they announced their 2012 games.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

Sorry, I seemed to have bumped into this thread.

I may need something along the lines of a 3DS in the near future, as I suspect the book I'm reading between classes may end at some point (possibly around the last page).

Does anyone think Nintendo is going to release the next model some time soon? I wouldn't want to buy one only to have a new model released the next week. Rumor mill has been unusually active on this and I'm too cautious with my money to make a decision without outside input.

Also, does BIT.TRIP Saga include difficulty settings? I couldn't have gotten past the second level of BIT.TRIP Beat (PC version) if not for the easy setting.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Return to “Gaming”