Can a videogame make you cry?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Alcari
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:06 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Can a videogame make you cry?

Postby Alcari » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:17 pm UTC

The age-old question returns.

Can a game have a large impact on your emotions? If so, which game?

Personally, I've never cried about a videogame, being a manly man, but I found Aerith's Death in ff7 very touching.

Also a game whose name I forgot, but your girlfriend/brother dies after you just barely espaced your homeworld being destroyed by evil aliens, you manage to escape (the last 4 humans) but your ship crashes in an ocean and your girlfriend/brother drowns. That was so damned frustrating and sad (the whole hand on the window thing)
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

User avatar
ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:39 am UTC
Location: Waikiki

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

We are talking about "ol' skool" videogames, I believe. Yes they can, because some of them are really good. Now days it's all about the flashy explosions and such.

*returns to FreeCiv*

User avatar
Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants
Posts: 2150
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:05 am UTC
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Postby Castaway » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

Final Fantasy X almost made me cry at the end. I had been playing for so long, and it finally ended, and Yuna was so sad... And Auron was dead!!
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

User avatar
DonChubby
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Tórshavn, Føroyar

Postby DonChubby » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

I must say, a video game has never made me cry. Movies on the other hand...
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

User avatar
Memo
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:36 pm UTC
Location: Chile
Contact:

Postby Memo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

I don't remember crying about a game, unless you count having dry eyes and sticky tears because of a extended videogame session.

However I've cried because of books and movies.

User avatar
Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:14 pm UTC
Location: South Jersey
Contact:

Postby Alisto » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:32 pm UTC

There is a scene in FFIX where Zidane is limping along, feeling bad. His friends all appear to him (not for real, he is imagining them) and tell him how much he means to them.

I got misty-eyed.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

User avatar
aldimond
Otter-duck
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:52 am UTC
Location: Uptown, Chicago
Contact:

Postby aldimond » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:57 pm UTC

If a movie can do it a game can. A player is bound to be more emotionally involved many types of games.

I think that games may often miss their potential for strong emotional impact by allowing replays. When you make a mistake you often face "Game Over" and have to start over at a save-point. Otherwise sad situations are often beyond the control of the player. Games where the player's failure at one point could lead to pain or loss but the game continues with different challenges could be very affecting. Failure in real life (and in movies, and in literature) is often not a binary quantity, and games that reflect this could be really powerful.

I'm sure that some games with strong narratives and elements of this have been attempted, but I'm not very knowledgeable about games, so I don't know too much about them. Games that have a general simulation framework, from season-based sports games where your team will lose some games but still have a successful season to games like Sim City where a tornado or a recession won't ruin you if you don't let it, can be like this if you're playing at an appropriate difficulty level; I was once very attached to a city I made in Sim City 2000, and worried about it outside of the game world. Perhaps giving a game with a stronger sense of plot more flexibility would require far more resources than are practical to be spent on additional levels, writing and art. I'm not really sure.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

User avatar
aisling
Has (underage) boobs
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:56 am UTC
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby aisling » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:12 am UTC

FFX and FFX-2 were really sad. I just thought how in love Shuyin was and everything, and then when Lenne was singing on top of the airship, with "A thousand words", I got really emotional. I even saved in a separate file right before it so I could watch it again.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:17 am UTC

The opera scene.

THE opera scene.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Rodan
Any title.
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 pm UTC
Location: Eastern Standard Time

Postby Rodan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:20 am UTC

When I get completely frustrated. Or at least when I was younger...

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Postby Maseiken » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:30 am UTC

FF6/3 will always be the game that touches me the most,

Cyan's castle...
Terra's struggle to find love...
Edgar and Sabin, and their father...
All the Espers...
General Leo...
Relm and Shadow...
Locke and Rachel...
Celes...
Gau's father...
Cid...
Ultros...(*sarcasm*)

Wow, that game has a lot of plotlines...


Also Seiken densetsu 3 when Carlie realises Heath has joined the dark side.
And any moment in Seiken Densetsu 3 when Kevin is confronted with Karl or Karl's death.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

User avatar
xooll
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:11 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby xooll » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:29 am UTC

When I was about 7, the most difficult levels of Arctic Adventure made me cry out of frustration.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

User avatar
Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:39 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Postby Swordfish » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:37 am UTC

Castaway wrote:And Auron was dead!!


You can't tell me that you didn't see that one coming.

The one piece of media that has brought me the closest to tears was the Band of Brothers series.

In video games, my emotions normally come out as anger. In the already mentioned FFX, I was more angry at the end than sad, because Tidus and Yuna deserved ass, and neither of them got it (just as a quick note, I get angry at video games where the main character doesn't get ass at the end because, damn it, (s)he deserves it).

Metal Gear Solid 3 also made me pretty angry because of how much Snake got dicked over in the last 3-4 hours of the game.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

User avatar
SpitValve
Not a mod.
Posts: 5130
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:51 am UTC
Location: Lower pork village

Postby SpitValve » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:07 am UTC

The Ender's Game movie better make me cry, dammit!

but in general most games don't have the level of storytelling to get that amount of emotional attachment: I notice all the examples people are giving are RPGs.

Some of the stuff in the Marathon series was pretty deep sci-fi stuff, but not eye-mist-worthy.

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:19 am UTC

End of Kingdom Hearts I got me misty eyed - not becuase of Sora and Kairi, but becuase of poor Riku.

Mostly becuase in that game I saw a lot more of a relationship between Riku and Kairi than I did between Kairi and Sora.

... spoilers for KHI ahead. Whatever.


Sora: LA LA LA DUCK AND DOG FRIEND.
Riku: I travel to the ends of the earth and sacrifice my soul to the dark powers to save this woman.
Sora: LA LA LA ohhay girl?
Riku: ... ok, now I'm going to be an arrogant ass for two scenes as the power goes to my head. Yay, power.
Sora: Hay thar be girl? LOL THE PRINCSS IS IN THIS CATSTLE. FRIENDS?!
Riku: Ow, now some crazy old man has my body :(
Not!Ansem: LULZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ DARKNESS HAY SORA THARS A GURL INSIDE U LOL
Sora: ZOMGZ KAIRI'S INSIDE ME?! WAIT IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.
Sora: oh now it's time for me to make a sacrifice and stuff? 'kay. *stabs self*

So. We have Riku spending the entire game trying to save Kairi and Sora only stepping in at the last moment. Maybe it's me.

BUT ANYWAY.

When Riku says to Sora, "Take care of her for me" and gives this sad, sad smile and then he gets sealed in uh, the source of all evil in the universe. At the time we thought for eternity.

Yep. And then KHII um. ruined the plot :( though I got misty eyed a few times

End of FFX as well got me.

The only game that's ever enticed true fear, however, was Indigo Prophecy (because I've never played a survival horror game)

Oddly? All my friends cried at Shadow of the Colossus and I just didn't give a damn.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

User avatar
semicolon
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:21 am UTC
Contact:

Postby semicolon » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:58 am UTC

I teared up at the end of Grim Fandango. It wasn't sad or anything, I just thought it was a really beautiful ending to a really fucking beautiful game.

Klye
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:05 am UTC
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby Klye » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:03 am UTC

The end of Super Metroid -- when you're fighting mother brain, and the last metroid comes back to give you the life back that it had peviously taken from you...
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

User avatar
3.14159265...
Irrational (?)
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 am UTC
Location: Ajax, Canada

Postby 3.14159265... » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:07 am UTC

Yes AOE, when I am pissed at people, I go pick 7 enemies (of the same race as that who pissed me off, or resembling) and I go by myself put it on hardest, and KICK THIER ASS. Then I call them and let them know.

bwahahahahhaha
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

User avatar
Roun
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 4:15 am UTC

Postby Roun » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:43 am UTC

I felt a bit sad when various characters died in Tales of the Abyss. Oddly enough, I've never felt sad playing a Final Fantasy game.

I didn't really get sad at the end of Shadow of the Colossus, but I could see how someone could.

After about an hour or so trying to kill the final boss, you start to see things the main character's way.

"I am going to kill this @#$% thing, and @#$% resurrect that girl."
"I am going to kill this @#$% thing, and @#$% resurrect that girl."
"I am going to-"

BOOM! Start over.

User avatar
Eschatokyrios
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:49 pm UTC

Postby Eschatokyrios » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:54 am UTC

The goddamn plane training mission in GTA San Andreas has fucked me over so many times I want to cry. Fucking plane won't turn!
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Don't really cry over video games - or movies. But some bring me close (like A Beautiful Mind).

Seiken Densetsu 3 had some sad bits in it. As well as Aeris dying in FF7.

Tales of Phantasia when their town is attacked.

Star Ocean when everyone they know gets turned to stone by a disease.

Tales of Symphonia when you're forced to kill Genus's friend.

Also, When Killing Dhaos in Phantasia I felt I like a dick afterwards.

Spoiler wrote:Don't watch this if you don't want to spoil Tales of Phantasia The Animation or Tales of Phantasia the Game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spIhizAmQSI



Spoiler-ish wrote:I haven't played Eternia or the other tales of games all the way through so I don't know if it's a common theme but it seems that in Phantasia/Symphonia that the antagonist has good intentions.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Postby Maseiken » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:11 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Don't really cry over video games - or movies. But some bring me close (like A Beautiful Mind).

Seiken Densetsu 3 had some sad bits in it. As well as Aeris dying in FF7.

Tales of Phantasia when their town is attacked.

Star Ocean when everyone they know gets turned to stone by a disease.

Tales of Symphonia when you're forced to kill Genus's friend.

Also, When Killing Dhaos in Phantasia I felt I like a dick afterwards.

Spoiler wrote:Don't watch this if you don't want to spoil Tales of Phantasia The Animation or Tales of Phantasia the Game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spIhizAmQSI



Spoiler-ish wrote:I haven't played Eternia or the other tales of games all the way through so I don't know if it's a common theme but it seems that in Phantasia/Symphonia that the antagonist has good intentions.






Dammit, I don't know if I want to watch or not... I could never get past the Moria gallery...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Roun wrote:I felt a bit sad when various characters died in Tales of the Abyss. Oddly enough, I've never felt sad playing a Final Fantasy game.

I didn't really get sad at the end of Shadow of the Colossus, but I could see how someone could.

After about an hour or so trying to kill the final boss, you start to see things the main character's way.

"I am going to kill this @#$% thing, and @#$% resurrect that girl."
"I am going to kill this @#$% thing, and @#$% resurrect that girl."
"I am going to-"

BOOM! Start over.


ARGH. THAT BOSS. You'd be SO CLOSE and it'd backhand you, and you'd fall far enough to lose all your fsking health.

... ironically some SotC music just came on my itunes.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:39 am UTC

Not SPECIFFICALLY mentioned, but when Celes tries to commit suicide. I... I hadn't expected that. That song continues to make me misty.

User avatar
semicolon
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:21 am UTC
Contact:

Postby semicolon » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:45 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:... ironically some SotC music just came on my itunes.

Th-that's not irony!

SotC was a really beautiful game, but I didn't really cry at the end. Well, I did, but only because I forced myself to (I don't ever cry at any movies/games, and it pisses me off, so I sort of try to sometimes to get more into stuff). And I didn't cry over the Colossi either, I cried because
he died... but then apparently got resurrected as a baby? I don't really know. Oh, and I didn't care about Agro, but that's probably because I'd had it spoiled to me multiple times.

That final boss was a dick, too. I was glad when he died. Nobody that big that shoots lasers should be allowed to live. (And he totally attacked me first, so I didn't feel bad at all like I did with some of the others.)

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:23 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Not SPECIFFICALLY mentioned, but when Celes tries to commit suicide. I... I hadn't expected that. That song continues to make me misty.


sigh.

Why can't Final Fantasy be as good today?
I admit I like Balthier, Ashe, and Basch, but Fran was too cookie-cutter (hot as hell, though) and Vaan and Penelo were useless.

I cried when I found out about the requirements for the Zodiac Spear after already violating them. (Not really. But I would have if I cried when confronted with sheer stupidity.)
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Narsil
Ask me about my junk!
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm UTC
Location: Columbus.

Postby Narsil » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:59 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:The Ender's Game movie better make me cry, dammit!
I will cry if there's an Ender's Game Movie Game.
Because the above phrase is way too ridiculous to ever be taken seriously.

The only game that made me cry was Super Mario World. When I was 4. On the super secret levels that you get to from Star Road. Because that shit just isn't fair.
Other than that, playing We Love katamari with my GF on the last level. Because I didn't blink for all 20 minutes.

But from pure emotion? No. Even Aires' death was just...meh. She always felt a little two-dimensional. Games don't have near the character development a novel does. But even those, I've never cried at. Maybe it's because I'm a guy? I dunno.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

the human perl script
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

Postby the human perl script » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:18 am UTC

Yes. A thousand times yes.
Nethack, because AAAAAAAARGH.
And FFVII because of Aeris (I was a teenager).

User avatar
niko7865
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 am UTC
Location: All over washington state, USA
Contact:

Postby niko7865 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:24 am UTC

My guild disbanded in WoW, I nearly cried then.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???
Image

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Postby hack124x768 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:52 am UTC

I played a fan made ren'ai game called river trap a while ago. I almost cried in a few places for that one.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
German Sausage
3 of 5
Posts: 2933
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:45 am UTC

Postby German Sausage » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:27 am UTC

i was really sad when mona got shot in max payne. not quite tears, but i was a bit choked up. i just wanted everything to work out for max, and that was the point where i realised that it wouldn't
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

User avatar
rockintom99
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:28 am UTC
Location: Washingtonland!
Contact:

Postby rockintom99 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

Castaway wrote:Final Fantasy X almost made me cry at the end. I had been playing for so long, and it finally ended, and Yuna was so sad... And Auron was dead!!



Thanks. I am VERY close to beating it, too. :P

Anyway, yes, ff7 of course.
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8534
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Postby Zohar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

I don't cry that much in movies or games. Spirited Away always affects me, though and I get slightly misty eyed (with joy, I suppose).

Videogames can sometimes be emotional, a good example is FFX's ending (all the aeons dying and so on).
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
robinberghuys
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:35 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby robinberghuys » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

I think that it's not very common to cry because of games. The thing is, you are more attached to the character(s) in games, as opposed to the characters in movies, because you're playing as them. But, most games have happy endings. It would be weird to spend all of the game working towards a certain goal and at the end not see that goal fulfilled. That's my explanation. Hope anyone understands what I'm trying to say.
Image

n0dl
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:59 am UTC

Postby n0dl » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

The end of Estapolis Denki I and II (I think it's called Lufia I and II in English) for the super famicom got me teary eyed when I was about 7 or 8. Seiken no Zelda I (Legend of Zelda) for the Famicom had the same affect. Any of the Dragon Quest games made me cry. The only other games that got me that really emotional was watchig the ending for Mother 1 on the Famicom and twice as much when I beat Mother 2 (which was released in America as Earthbound I think), on the Super Famicom. Those games were seriously deep, dispite it's humorous tone. Im still playing Mother 3, on the gameboy advanced and I can say it got me close to getting teary eyed.
(SPOILERS: especially when Hinawa dies)
Strangely enough none of the Final Fantasy games ever made me cry (FFXII in my opinion was a bit of a disappointment) with the, exception of Final Fantasy III for the Famicom which almost did the trick (this FF, in my opinion is the best one yet (NOT THE REMAKE FOR THE DS!!!)). FFVI was good (I played the Japanese and American version. WOW talk about MAJOR translation changes) but there wasn't a scene that jerked a tear from my eye.

User avatar
Alcari
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:06 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Alcari » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

the human perl script wrote:Yes. A thousand times yes.
Nethack, because AAAAAAAARGH.

That doesn't count, the GWTWOD makes everyone cry.

So, videogames make you more attached to the character? I disagree, seeing how you barely know the emotions of the main character. Though Chrono Trigger made me go misty eyed twice, Chrono's death wasn't one of them.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.



free manga and anime music

User avatar
robinberghuys
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:35 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby robinberghuys » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

Alcari wrote:
the human perl script wrote:Yes. A thousand times yes.
Nethack, because AAAAAAAARGH.

That doesn't count, the GWTWOD makes everyone cry.

So, videogames make you more attached to the character? I disagree, seeing how you barely know the emotions of the main character. Though Chrono Trigger made me go misty eyed twice, Chrono's death wasn't one of them.


That's a good point. But I suppose they are 'your' emotions.
Image

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:... ironically some SotC music just came on my itunes.

Th-that's not irony!

It wasn't expected. Therefore, it was ironic. Yes? According to the definition of irony, you damn nitpickers?

SotC was a really beautiful game, but I didn't really cry at the end. Well, I did, but only because I forced myself to (I don't ever cry at any movies/games, and it pisses me off, so I sort of try to sometimes to get more into stuff). And I didn't cry over the Colossi either, I cried because
he died... but then apparently got resurrected as a baby? I don't really know. Oh, and I didn't care about Agro, but that's probably because I'd had it spoiled to me multiple times.

That final boss was a dick, too. I was glad when he died. Nobody that big that shoots lasers should be allowed to live. (And he totally attacked me first, so I didn't feel bad at all like I did with some of the others.)


I did cry a bit about that damn horse beacuse I hadn't gotten spoiled, but not ONE of the Colossi made me sad. Each and every one of them I felt, "HAHA. I HAVE VANQUISHED THEE." I was really more upset about the kid, becuase somehow I knew that releasing the... spirit thingy... was a Bad Plan. If some ancient and now clearly destroyed civilization went through the trouble of creating sixteen immensely powerful guardians scattered across a continent for the sole purpose of sealing away this creature's soul... yeah. That's not a nice spirit that's been sealed away. Some bad shit happened in the past, and each colossus I took down I knew I was taking Wander one step closer to some horrific fate.

But yeah, the colossi themselves? Most of them were such pains to kill that by the end I was whooping in triumph. And really, all they were to me were constructs created to seal away this demon's soul.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

jwwells
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:47 am UTC

Postby jwwells » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

Some years ago, Photopia, a text adventure, managed to get a few tears out of me. I still think it's the best tear-jerker game ever written. Though it's arguably manipulative, and occasionally a little heavy-handed, it never feels too contrived, which is quite a feat.

It's also nearly puzzleless, which caused a lot of complaints that it wasn't a game at all. I'm not sure if this is true - there are a few puzzles, and there's a metapuzzle, too, in that the story's told nonlinearly and it's left to you to put it together. And yet it wouldn't work that well as a short story - it really does take advantage of the way that interaction puts you in the shoes of several characters.

But when it says in the opening, "Let's tell a story together", take it seriously. You aren't going to be rewriting the story, or even, at some points, playing a game. You're going to be taking several roles in another person's story, and helping to tell it - and, to its credit, the game never pretends that this isn't the case.

(A link to play it online.)

User avatar
Mairead
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Laois, Ireland

Postby Mairead » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

DAMN YOU FFVII!!!
I have played you so many times and I still go teary eyed when it happens.

Other than that, Shadow of the Collosus and Ico both got me.
They're just so damn pretty...


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Steeler [Crawler] and 7 guests