Can a videogame make you cry?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Not SPECIFFICALLY mentioned, but when Celes tries to commit suicide. I... I hadn't expected that. That song continues to make me misty.
There are a bunch of things in that game that do horrible things to me.

It doesn't help that my first playthrough I renamed all the (main) characters to match myself and my friends, and just through random chance I hit on the exact right combination to make the story arcs all resonate very strongly.

FF8 has moments (Been awhile since I've played, but I seem to remember some)
FF7 has a moment or two.
FF6 is wall-to-wall emotion. Somehow even mindlessly running around a field leveling becomes emotional sometimes. Don't ask.

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. I'm sure there are more, but they aren't coming to mind directly... I seem to remember at least one FPS that did it.

I cried reading World War Z last night.

I've found myself on the brink of crying at NUMEROUS movies lately... Prettymuch everything I've seen that isn't animated and isn't Pirates of the Caribbean.

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

It just goes black. The text box goes away. After you turn out the light above Alley's crib. Is that supposed to happen? But it isn't over! How do I find out what happens?
[insert quote here]

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

See... I'd like FFVI, except that sprite games give me headaches and I could never figure out why :(

That and it suffers from what all Final Fantasy games suffer from - mind-bogglingly dull gameplay.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

jwwells

Postby jwwells » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

curious: After you turn off the light? Yes, it goes black. That's a fade to black. Game over. And, um, you've already seen what happens. Arguably, the story was over in the first three turns.

Some people find the second playthrough more interesting, on the grounds that you know what to expect, and can now see how all of the colored parts and plain parts fit together into a coherent story.

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:11 am UTC

jwwells wrote:curious: After you turn off the light? Yes, it goes black. That's a fade to black. Game over. And, um, you've already seen what happens. Arguably, the story was over in the first three turns.

Some people find the second playthrough more interesting, on the grounds that you know what to expect, and can now see how all of the colored parts and plain parts fit together into a coherent story.

There isn't more? I replayed the game trying to see if it would happen again. It did (which makes sense, considering that it is the end and not a malfunction). That's so sad. I still want to find out what happens to the guy Alley was dating. And with Wendy. I guess it's like that story in the game. I won't find out.

I'm not crying, but my eyes are wet.
[insert quote here]

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:46 am UTC

Klye wrote:The end of Super Metroid -- when you're fighting mother brain, and the last metroid comes back to give you the life back that it had peviously taken from you...

YES yes yes.

that and legend of Dragoon. crrrrriiiiiiiiied for an hour. its a good thing the game play was over at that point. i wouldnt have hit a single combo =(

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

jwwells

Postby jwwells » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:14 am UTC

curious: I think a few plot points can be gotten with > LISTEN during the hospital scene, but they're fragmented and garbled.

But yes, it's a very short game.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:24 am UTC

My brother deleted a save file on Caesar III before and I cried...so hard.
=]

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Damn you people and Photopia! I wish there were a way to change the result. You jerks.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:16 am UTC

I can't play games without Kleenex (read: sleeve).
((SPOILERZ MEBBEH?))
The first time I beat The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (or Triforce of the Gods, whichever), I cried. The song at the credits inspired me to take up the keyboard. :D
I cried when I beat Final Fantasy X. DAMMIT! Don't you high-five, I don't wanna be happy!
So far I've cried twice in Dragon Quest VIII. Once at the Tower of Alexandria, and once in Ascantha. Wait, twice in Ascantha. The sad, sad music does not help.
...I've gotten misty eyed over some games that are hard to beat, but were finally beaten. Mostly from relief.

And in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but for the same reason as Swordfish. Ass was deserved, but will not be had. Nor is there room for fans to create said ass encounter, without throwing the ending out the window. Unless you consider another ass.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:21 am UTC

Wait....Link on Midna ass?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:34 am UTC

Belial wrote:Wait....Link on Midna ass?

Face it, she's got the hots for him. And he's all "AWMAHGAWD MIDNA!! You're okay... and HOT!" *abandons Zelda*
Zelda: :(

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Hahah. Not like there's ever really been Link/Zelda romance outside of the cartoon series, anyway. People just assume it because he's always saving her or working for her.

But yeah, Midna was hot at the end, even if she did kindof remind one of an Orca.

I guess I just got used to thinking of her as a 9-year-old, because of the form she was in through most of the game.

They/them

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:44 am UTC

Yeah, the cartoon was oddly... non-canon.
And now, I have an image of Midna leaping through a suspended hoop at Sea World. What will become of this image is not known.

Link never gets ass in canon. A loving glance is not ass. A handhold is not ass. A kiss is not ass. Link is one of the least thanked heroes in videogamedom. Ruto probably wanted to fix that though... :twisted:

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Dude, I think *every female in ocarina* (EXCEPT Zelda) wanted to fix that. Which was goddamn *creepy* when you were a 9-year-old kid and the Gerudos were saying "Come back when you're a little bit older, ehh?"

They/them

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Ugh... UUUGGGHHH. *twitch* That's true. Holy crap, everyone had Link on the menu. Those Gerudo were pedos.

I wonder if that's why I nearly get violated whenever I go to a convention (hint: I'm wearing green).

Roun

Postby Roun » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Belial wrote:Dude, I think *every female in ocarina* (EXCEPT Zelda) wanted to fix that. Which was goddamn *creepy* when you were a 9-year-old kid and the Gerudos were saying "Come back when you're a little bit older, ehh?"

I can see it now:

"Tonight, on FOX News, Jack Tompson speaks out against pedophilistic messages hidden within children's 'Zelda' games. More at 11..."

EDIT: Dammit, beaten to the joke by a few seconds.

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:05 am UTC

Roun wrote:"Tonight, on FOX News, Jack Tompson speaks out against pedophilistic messages hidden within children's 'Zelda' games. More at 11..."

That made me laugh and cry simultaneously. For different reasons.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:56 am UTC

Eleven wrote:Holy crap, everyone had Link on the menu.

Well, he is Link.

Also I never said I cried because people didn't get ass, I said I got angry over it.

Anyway you're right, Link is the most thankless character in video game history. While I would like for him to finally get ass, the fact that he doesn't kinda gives him a bigger image of nobility. The Legend of Zelda games are the only "save the princess" stories in which the man doing the saving doesn't get the princess after it. Link isn't looking for any reward by saving Zelda (and all of Hyrule), he's doing it because it's the right thing to do. He's also the only left-handed protagonist I can think of.

On that note, the thing the pisses me off the most about video games is the ending when the male and female leads obviously want to knock booties... but nothing happens.

As for twilight princess... well Link always has Ilya. She definitely wants Link to have some :wink:
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:59 am UTC

The Legend of Zelda games are the only "save the princess" stories in which the man doing the saving doesn't get the princess after it. Link isn't looking for any reward by saving Zelda (and all of Hyrule), he's doing it because it's the right thing to do.

Yeah, exactly, and that's a pretty badass change from most games of that sort. There is no romantic undercurrent, he's just the loyal protector, the incarnation of courage.

And the fact that *everyone else* in hyrule seems to want to jump him doesn't hurt his situation.

They/them

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

Swordfish wrote:Anyway you're right, Link is the most thankless character in video game history. While I would like for him to finally get ass, the fact that he doesn't kinda gives him a bigger image of nobility. The Legend of Zelda games are the only "save the princess" stories in which the man doing the saving doesn't get the princess after it. Link isn't looking for any reward by saving Zelda (and all of Hyrule), he's doing it because it's the right thing to do. He's also the only left-handed protagonist I can think of.

There are no romantic undercurrents because he's.... Like 10. If he were a teenager (and were afforded the time to grow into a teenager rather than time travel making him one), you can bet damn well that he'd be huntin' somethin' down. Also, the rapid and dramatic geographical changes in Hyrule, as well as the constant threat of disaster and doom requiring him to go on quest after quest is without a doubt, stunting his growth as a human being.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

There are no romantic undercurrents because he's.... Like 10. If he were a teenager (and were afforded the time to grow into a teenager rather than time travel making him one), you can bet damn well that he'd be huntin' somethin' down.

In several games, he has been.

(Zelda II, Ocarina [albeit, that was the time travel one], Twilight Princess, and a couple others I'm probably forgetting)

They/them

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
There are no romantic undercurrents because he's.... Like 10. If he were a teenager (and were afforded the time to grow into a teenager rather than time travel making him one), you can bet damn well that he'd be huntin' somethin' down.

In several games, he has been.

(Zelda II, Ocarina [albeit, that was the time travel one], Twilight Princess, and a couple others I'm probably forgetting)
Ocarina is out because of the f'n time travel. And as for II and Twilight.... As I said, the constant upheaval in Hyrule that produces its everchanging landscape and everpresent questable disasters and kidnappings as a child irreperably damaged him. He knows nothing of love or literature, all he knows is the sword. And iron boots.

.... And being a dog. And how to travel time. And play the flute.

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

wing wrote:He knows nothing of love or literature, all he knows is the sword. And iron boots.

.... And being a dog. And how to travel time. And play the flute.

And communing with fairies. Not nearly enough fairies in TP.

In the case of games where you have a party of heroes, is it the dynamic between the party members that brings you to tears or is it their reactions to all the tragedy and misfortune that afflicts their land? (That is one element that made TP different from the rest of the series. It essentially gave you a party of two, as Midna is arguably more than a guide or assistant.)

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

Link gets a lot of love interests though. For example Ocarina alone had Ruto, Malon, Saria, Zelda. He's apparently just so unlucky as to not get any. (In Majora's Mask, Cremia applies Link's head to her bosom. That doesn't really count, but I decided to mention it anyway)

In Twilight Princess he has Midna, Ilya and Zelda. And well... nothing ever happens. Maybe Link just has such social anxiety that he never gets brave enough to copulate with these females. (Also, they leave it open ended as to what happens to Link at the end of Twilight Princess, which irritates me. Does he return to Ordon? Does he set out to the great unknown, to find another way? I've probably spoiled too much already)
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

It's that horse. He's gone and run off with the horse.

WhiteRabbit
Railgun of Infinite Patience

Postby WhiteRabbit » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

Hmm... I've never cried to one, but the ending of Link's Awakening was close.

A few have had me completely terrified to the point of not moving, including the Return to the Cathedral mission in Thief and several parts of System Shock 2.

I've missed all the great parts of the Final Fantasy because the gameplay of menu/turn based RPG combat feels like repeatedly banging my head in to a concrete wall lined with spikes, only a bit less pleasant.

Arturus Mengst's speech in Starcraft is always good for a kick in the pants.
For the Jihad

luminosity

Postby luminosity » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:03 am UTC

Not crying, as such, but in Deus Ex if you run into Sandra Renton at the abandoned gas station I felt sad.. especially because it's my actions that lead to her being there, or not.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:19 am UTC

WhiteRabbit wrote:A few have had me completely terrified to the point of not moving, including the Return to the Cathedral mission in Thief and several parts of System Shock 2.

silent hill.

i was playing this game, fully prepared to be scared out of my wits. it was 3am and the only lighting in the house was coming from the tv. i was laying on the couch with my friend Catherine laying on my chest.

immediately after the opening sequences, i was walking down a foggy street with my gun drawn. a hundred feet ahead, i saw the silhouette of a dog walking around. "you're not getting me, zombie dog!" i inched towards the shadowy quadruped without taking the gun off it. finally, i got to within about 30 feet of it and it just continued walking along. "oh, those game designers are crafty! they put a regular old dog in the game just to keep me on my toes! bravo!" i lowered the gun and began to walk at a normal pace for about 10 feet.

WOOFWOOFWOOFWOOF!!!!

the zombie dog jumps on my face, i jump off the couch, my friend Catherine jumps off of me and runs up the stairs, terrified. i quickly turned off the playstation and never played the game again.

fucking zombie dogs.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

coldie

Postby coldie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:35 am UTC

I may have cried when I lost my Zelda: Twilight Princess save (and the game, and the console to play it on, and my macbook, and...).

Only other time I've come close to crying over a game was at the end of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. I had a bit of a lump in my throat, it was a combination of nostalgia and satisfaction at a very enjoyable game. They would have been happy tears.

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:30 am UTC

luminosity wrote:Not crying, as such, but in Deus Ex if you run into Sandra Renton at the abandoned gas station I felt sad.. especially because it's my actions that lead to her being there, or not.

Ahh, gotta love Deus Ex's non-linearity (linerness??) She made friends with her dad again and the hotel's doing better now. (of course, that won't matter much, because they're all ruled by the Denton-Helios AI.)
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

The Zelda and Link in each of the games isn't necessarily the same Zelda and Link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend ... Chronology

Also

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/676 ... art_6.html
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:30 pm UTC

Maybe this is ironic, but I suppose not. Just from the title of this thread I decided I needed to post about the one video game that made me cry - Links Awakening for Gameboy. When you find out that "Koholint is just a dream on the sleepers eyelid" I was SO sad, and that was the last thing I was able to do just before I went to sleep that night.
Then I open this thread to find you all talking about Zelda.

My dad always liked the song of the Windfish...that kind of makes me a little melancholy, and the idea will probably make me cry some day.

Eleven wrote:And communing with fairies. Not nearly enough fairies in TP.
Anyone else at the age of 8 play the original Zelda, I think it was, and when the lady comes to the door and tells you to come in and then goes "I can restore your health" and then you sort of leave the scene and you're back to full health think to yourself "Oh me yarm! Sex in there!" ?

Nyarlathotep wrote:icon

So I never noticed the brown thing moving in your icon until today, but I can't figure out what it is, though I keep watching it. I ASSUME it's a velociraptor, but I can't tell by looking at all...it kinda looks like Mr. Hankee without his hat if I just look.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

It's a squid thing.

I mean um. There's nothing in my avatar. >>;

Anyway.

I have never beaten a zelda game. I got stuck in Awakening, and the guy who lived in 2nd floor honours dorm was really protective of his Wii, so I never got to play Twilight Princess. (there was a GC downstairs that I could use whenever I damn well pleased, but we didn't have the GC version)

Having seen the ending, I think I'm the only person I've met who thinks that Midna is just plain hot, orca-esque demon princess or no. But perhaps that's becuase I don't actually want to bang her and am just basing this off her aesthetic pleasing-ness to the eye. And I love, love, love Orcas so the black and white patterning is just gorgeous ^_^

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote: Anyone else at the age of 8 play the original Zelda, I think it was, and when the lady comes to the door and tells you to come in and then goes "I can restore your health" and then you sort of leave the scene and you're back to full health think to yourself "Oh me yarm! Sex in there!" ?

It was Zelda II. And yes, it was one of the few times I literally ROFLMAO'D. Then the old lady says "I can restore your magic" and the same thing happens and I'm all :shock: :?: eww.
But, uh, I was a bit older than eight XD.

Gelsamel wrote:The Zelda and Link in each of the games isn't necessarily the same Zelda and Link.

Yeah, we know. But it's easy enough to talk about all of them as the same characters, because no matter the game there is STILL NO ASS. And Link is always on the menu.

Except those CD-i games. They have no relationship with the series. (For the record, no, I can't wait to bomb some Dodongos. But you don't see me getting all excited over it.)

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:28 pm UTC

Having seen the ending, I think I'm the only person I've met who thinks that Midna is just plain hot, orca-esque demon princess or no.

No, I agree. It's just a little bit creepy, as I'm used to thinking of her as a little munchkin thing that looks like a pre-adolescent.

They/them

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:41 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Having seen the ending, I think I'm the only person I've met who thinks that Midna is just plain hot, orca-esque demon princess or no.

No, I agree. It's just a little bit creepy, as I'm used to thinking of her as a little munchkin thing that looks like a pre-adolescent.
Having not seen the ending, I thought Nyar was talking about the normal Midna until I read it again, which made me go "ugh."

I was so disappointed when Link kept on his outfit for sumo wrestling the Gorons, after getting my hopes up because of the first time.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:I was so disappointed when Link kept on his outfit for sumo wrestling the Gorons, after getting my hopes up because of the first time.

I actually laughed at that part. Not because of his shirtlessness, but because when he stomped it made such a ridiculous little *pat*.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

The intro to "Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth" made me kinda teary. (And not just due to the absurd length")
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Belial wrote:

Having not seen the ending, I thought Nyar was talking about the normal Midna until I read it again, which made me go "ugh."

I was so disappointed when Link kept on his outfit for sumo wrestling the Gorons, after getting my hopes up because of the first time.

Haha, no, I haven't seen enough of the rest of the game to think of Midna as a munchkin. Every time I see Munchinkin!Midna I think "You poor thing, trapped in that itty-bitty Shadow of the Colossus-Esque form :( "

Return to “Gaming”