Portal 2 : Princess No-Knees 3 : Jump Harder

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

big boss

Portal 2 : Princess No-Knees 3 : Jump Harder

Postby big boss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:16 am UTC

Portal 2 is going to be released in about a month and a half or so. I just watched all the trailers and the new mechanics they added look amazing, not to mention the co-op. Here is a link to the trailers.

I think its a big improvement on the previous game and can't wait to play it. They seem to have added more storyline which is also a major plus.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Portal 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 am UTC

New mechanics?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Speedy-juice, bouncy-juice, thingy-that-holds-you-up-and-moves-you-in-a-direction-that-can-be-sent-through-portals, vacuum pipe, bouncy plate and a laser redirecting prism. It looks like they'll be able to make some pretty good levels with them. Anyone preorder yet?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:44 am UTC

Yep, I preordered with a friend from the Steam store to get the extra $5 off... looks like they're really pushing the coop, which is great, because I can totally see that being awesome/frustrating. Frustrawesome.

FACT: Women love diamonds for their wide range of industrial applications.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:15 am UTC

If you buy the 'two-pack', does each copy come with their own extra copy of Portal 1 still?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:27 am UTC

Yep. My friend now has 3 copies of Portal 1... his original copy and the two from our two-pack...

It's surprisingly hard to find friends who don't already have the game, to give it to...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:30 am UTC

The trailer (Valentines day themed) was nice. Looking forward to getting it sometime soon but I'll prolly wait till the end of March to get Crysis 2.
I write a blog rant here.

big boss

Postby big boss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 am UTC

archeleus wrote:The trailer (Valentines day themed) was nice. Looking forward to getting it sometime soon but I'll prolly wait till the end of March to get Crysis 2.

It doesn't come out till April so no worries.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

llamanaru wrote:Speedy-juice, bouncy-juice, thingy-that-holds-you-up-and-moves-you-in-a-direction-that-can-be-sent-through-portals, vacuum pipe, bouncy plate and a laser redirecting prism. It looks like they'll be able to make some pretty good levels with them. Anyone preorder yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2z8V2yL5P0
EEEEEEEE!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
llamanaru wrote:Speedy-juice, bouncy-juice, thingy-that-holds-you-up-and-moves-you-in-a-direction-that-can-be-sent-through-portals, vacuum pipe, bouncy plate and a laser redirecting prism. It looks like they'll be able to make some pretty good levels with them. Anyone preorder yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2z8V2yL5P0
EEEEEEEE!
<3
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Pre-ordered for 10% off. I know it'll probably be 50% or 75% off at Christmas, but I don't want to wait.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Chewbaccawacca
Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

Aye, I preordered a few months back. Super stoked, played through Portal again in anticipation. Even though I usually go solo, gotta love the co-opt options!
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.

Retne

Postby Retne » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:05 am UTC

I've pre-ordered. I know I'm going to want to play the game. My room mate claims he is going to play the co-op with me but I am doubtful. He may buy the game but I highly doubt he will play through more than half of the first co-op level with me. :evil:
/me shakes his fist at the wall separating us

I'm pretty sure I'm going to love the game. I have yet to be truly disappointed by anything from valve besides the way they interact with time. It's good they aren't hyping this very hard as it helps to keep the expectations in check.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:01 am UTC

Retne wrote:I have yet to be truly disappointed by anything from valve besides the way they interact with time.

Did you read the press release where they delayed Portal 2 a few months ago? Valve time is approaching true time. Many people theorise about what will happen when the convergence occurs. Some people think the universe will implode. Some people think Valve time will become negative and Valve will have released all of their games before the convergence actually occurred (which may cause a paradox, resulting in the above universal implosion). Others say that the release date is a lie.

...I'm sorry.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

If Valve time and DNF all combine it will be the end of the universe!
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 am UTC

About to pre-order Portal 2 with my brother. He'll play co-op with me... Won't he?
I've already got Portal, but he hasn't got either. Which works well :lol: but I've got to give my spare copy to somebody :|

Speaking of co-op, who are people going to try to play as? Atlas (the blue, personality core based one) or P-Body (the orange, turret based one)?
I'd have to choose Atlas. I just don't especially like the look of P-Body.
:shock:

masher

Postby masher » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:31 am UTC

I haven't got Portal... :)

Then again, I've only just (re)got a computer that is capable to playing it on too; I'm currently redoing HL2 to get back into things...

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

cjdrum wrote:About to pre-order Portal 2 with my brother. He'll play co-op with me... Won't he?
I've already got Portal, but he hasn't got either. Which works well :lol: but I've got to give my spare copy to somebody :|

Speaking of co-op, who are people going to try to play as? Atlas (the blue, personality core based one) or P-Body (the orange, turret based one)?
I'd have to choose Atlas. I just don't especially like the look of P-Body.

3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

For anyone that hasn't pre-ordered here

Amazon is selling it for $55 + $20 gift card, and I have heard Wal-Mart is doing the same thing. So check those places before you buy!

So getting excited for this game - only a few weeks away. I can't figure out what platform to buy it on though. I really enjoyed the first on 360, but I heard there were a ton of mods and cool add-ons done on the PC that I never got to play(hint for anyone with a spare copy). I also heard today that the PS3 version will come with a free download code for the PC. So I could get the PS3 version and have both - but I don't like my PS3 nearly as much as my 360, plus the only person I'd probably play co-op with will have it for 360. So trying to bend my brain around what to do. I could get it on PS3, use the code, then see if I can trade it with someone for a 360 version...

Anyway, game looks sweet, and check amazon for pre-orders :)
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

I really don't think I could stand Portal without a mouse. But then Co-Op on a PC is... what... multiplayer (and thus lag)? Sharing a keyboard?
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

Keyboard+Mouse & Gamepad, most likely.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:20 am UTC

Online co-op is possible in Portal 2. I read somewhere that you have the option of switching to splitscreen even if your partner is on a different machine, so you can see the level from their perspective.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

drkslvr

Postby drkslvr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:54 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Online co-op is possible in Portal 2. I read somewhere that you have the option of switching to splitscreen even if your partner is on a different machine, so you can see the level from their perspective.

I cannot put into words how much I want this game! The new puzzles, the story line, the voice acting, the coop mode... There is so much to do here! :D
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:I really don't think I could stand Portal without a mouse. But then Co-Op on a PC is... what... multiplayer (and thus lag)? Sharing a keyboard?

Someone set up L4D1 or 2 to do exactly that.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

"Atlas" and "P-Body".

Yeah they're just gonna be Orange and Blue to me as far as I'm concerned, 'cos those names on the line above sound completely pulled out of G-Man's quantum rectum, even if it is Word of God.

KeyserSoze

Postby KeyserSoze » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

If you buy a boxed copy, can you just stick the serial number into your Steam account and re-download it from there later?

lemmings

Postby lemmings » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

KeyserSoze wrote:If you buy a boxed copy, can you just stick the serial number into your Steam account and re-download it from there later?

You can do this with all of Valve's PC games.

KeyserSoze

Postby KeyserSoze » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

Excellent, thanks! :D

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

:) :D Preordered! :D :)

I can't wait... It's 3 weeks away = too long!
:shock:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:05 am UTC

KeyserSoze wrote:If you buy a boxed copy, can you just stick the serial number into your Steam account and re-download it from there later?

Given that I believe all Valve sells these days is a Steam Client on a CD with serials that match whatever game you purchased, yes. Yes you can. You can also sometimes do this with non-Valve games. My copy of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Prey, for example.. both of those took the license key and added the games to my list.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

I should probably preorder, it's not long now :D
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:
WarDaft wrote:I really don't think I could stand Portal without a mouse. But then Co-Op on a PC is... what... multiplayer (and thus lag)? Sharing a keyboard?

I know you can connect an xbox 360 controller to a pc and use console commands to play splitscreen. I didn't know you could use 2 keyboards and 2 mice though.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

phlip wrote:Yep. My friend now has 3 copies of Portal 1... his original copy and the three from our two-pack...

It's surprisingly hard to find friends who don't already have the game, to give it to...

I don't have it. Care to send the disks to AL?
The Scyphozoa wrote:
Technical Ben wrote:

I know you can connect a xbox 360 controller to a pc and use console commands to play splitscreen. I didn't know you could use 2 keyboards and 2 mice though.

No, the mice just interfere with each other. Windows only seems to support one pointer.
Define Normal.
konkonsn wrote: ...It seems the begging for death is less about the pain and more about some weird mental thing the poison does, making sufferers feel a great sense of doom.

Spoiler:
ImageImage

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:22 am UTC

I've noticed a few people in this thread need a copy of Portal 1. I have a Steam copy that came with my pre-order that's available to anyone who wants it.

Here's my Steam profile. If you want it you can either friend me on Steam and ask for it, or just ask for it here. Either way is fine with me. I'm far too easygoing/detached/drunk to object to any given option.
llamanaru wrote:Frustrawesome
I just remembered, I never beat VVVVVV.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:I should probably preorder, it's not long now :D

I'm thinking about doing the same. is there any benefit to preordering besides getting it sooner? I'm trying to figure out the cheapest option for getting this game that doesn't involve my usual tactic of waiting several months for the price to hit $30.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Steam gives you a 10% discount, making it $45. If you buy a two pack, you get each copy for $40. Amazon is running the PS3/360 copies at $55, with a $20 Gift Card. Remember, if you get the PS3 version, you get a steam copy with it free.

I've still yet to decide how I plan on getting my copy. I'm thinking going the Amazon PS3 route, getting my Steam copy, and reselling/Gamestop'ing my PS3 copy. I expect many will do that though, so there might be some snags in that plan.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

Huh? PS3 gets a steam copy free? Is it linked to the steam profile then? Or could you lend/swap\sell the ps3 copy on after purchase?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:Huh? PS3 gets a steam copy free? Is it linked to the steam profile then? Or could you lend/swap\sell the ps3 copy on after purchase?

They're integrating Steamworks into PSN, I believe, so it will be linked. I think you could lend/swap/sell the physical copy, but not link it to Steam. I think.

EDIT: Amazon is currently offering $5 off all versions and a $20 credit with the XBox360 and PS3 versions.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:I've noticed a few people in this thread need a copy of Portal 1. I have a Steam copy that came with my pre-order that's available to anyone who wants it.

Here's my Steam profile. If you want it you can either friend me on Steam and ask for it, or just ask for it here. Either way is fine with me. I'm far too easygoing/detached/drunk to object to any given option.
llamanaru wrote:Frustrawesome
I just remembered, I never beat VVVVVV.

I would like it, but I can't friend you on steam because I don't have any games yet. :( My steam name is the same as my username on the fora: alexriehl .
Thanks for considering!
Define Normal.
konkonsn wrote: ...It seems the begging for death is less about the pain and more about some weird mental thing the poison does, making sufferers feel a great sense of doom.

Spoiler:
ImageImage

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Amazon is running the PS3/360 copies at $55, with a $20 Gift Card.

I didn't realize you'd get a gift card. I buy stuff on Amazon all the time (especially used video games), so I'm totally going this route.

Did any of you see the bonus preorder skins? I heard that Gamestop said that they wouldn't stock Portal 2 unless they had a preorder bonus, so Valve just threw something ridiculous together. Also notice the subtle jab at people who use the skins.

Return to “Gaming”