Portal 2 : Princess No-Knees 3 : Jump Harder

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

KrazyerKate

Re: Portal 2 : Princess No-Knees 3 : Jump Harder

Postby KrazyerKate » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:28 am UTC

Such a shame they spent so much time on the 'cake' joke. Was it even Chell that liked cake? I thought the point of the joke was that GLaDOS took something that humans like and blew it out of proportion, not that Chell actually liked cake that much. I really liked every single other part of the video though and I'm disappointed that it was so short. Why did Chell sign up for testing? How does she deal with the psychological damage and flashbacks? Whose apartment is she staying at? how did she get that food? what are her plans now that she's free? Is Aperture still alive, and if so are they going to come after Chell to get the gun back? And we still have no explanation as to what the heck a companion cube is.

A subtle point the video made that I really liked was how the portal device is an extension of Chell. In the game the gun is the only way players interact with the world, and the video keeps that relationship intact. Chell always keeps the portal gun within arms reach. She uses the portal gun to take down the TV when the Aperture advert comes on. She uses the gun to pick up trash. She uses the gun to scratch her back. She fiddles with the gun when she doesn't have anything else to do. It is treated almost as another part of Chell's body.
Last edited by KrazyerKate on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:59 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:A subtle point the video made that I really liked was how the portal device is an extension of Chell. In the game the gun is the only way players interact with the world, and the video treats it keeps that relationship intact. Chell always keeps the portal gun within arms reach. She uses the portal gun to take down the TV when the Aperture advert comes on. She uses the gun to pick up trash. She uses the gun to scratch her back. She fiddles with the gun when she doesn't have anything else to do. It is treated almost as another part of Chell's body.

Indeed... I thought the way she got out of bed was quite clever.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

Yeah, it seemed to kinda miss the point in liu of hitting a few iconic features of the game - it didn't really go into any detail on the character herself, or what it would mean for Chell to live post-Aperture. On top of that, the cake thing was definitely a preoccupation of GlaDOS, not Chell.

Not the worst, but less than I'd expect from something with that level of production.
I don't know what to do for you

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

i was thinking, with the flashes, that maybe glados implanted memories of signing the disclaimer thing, and writing that she liked cake, and glados' obsession with cake merely transfered to chell as part of her PTSD, combined with the false memories.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

Something you may have missed, because I did.
Spoiler:
5:10 - the part where the portal flashes to a firetube or whatever - the newspaper catches on fire.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:13 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Something you may have missed, because I did.
Spoiler:
5:10 - the part where the portal flashes to a firetube or whatever - the newspaper catches on fire.

phlip wrote:Indeed... I thought the way she got out of bed was quite clever.

I didn't notice either of these things. good catch.

Something interesting from the FAQ I'd never heard before:
It was commonly assumed back then that the murals were made by Chell herself, having been restored from GLaDOS’s backup multiple times to do the same tests again.

I like this Memento-ish explanation a lot better than the Ratman version. It explains why markings are in blood (a test subject wouldn't have writing implements), and it is consistent with Aperture's cold, impersonal feel.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

Not sure whether to post this in the post when you die thread or here, but I was doing the Smash TV achievement and
Spoiler:
In the last test chamber, where there are 3 turrets that you are supposed to kill with repulsion gel, you need to get one of them and aim it at the screen.

After a few dozen attempts I did it and went to finish the level... except
Spoiler:
I launched while holding the turret and it shot me out of the air causing me to fall to my death instead of safely hitting the exit.

Fortunately I got the achievement before that happened.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:47 am UTC

That one is the hardest of the Smash TV screens to smash. Fortunately, the achievement simply says you have to smash 11 screens.

Spoiler:
There's a 12th screen you can smash later on, just before you get to Wheatley's lair. The bit with the conveyer belt when he's trying to convince you to go into the masher, you can smash his screen with an explodey-ball. I already had the achievement by then, so I'm not certain, but by rights that should count as your 11th screen for the achievement if you didn't do the one you just mentioned.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:05 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:That one is the hardest of the Smash TV screens to smash. Fortunately, the achievement simply says you have to smash 11 screens.

Spoiler:
There's a 12th screen you can smash later on, just before you get to Wheatley's lair. The bit with the conveyer belt when he's trying to convince you to go into the masher, you can smash his screen with an explodey-ball. I already had the achievement by then, so I'm not certain, but by rights that should count as your 11th screen for the achievement if you didn't do the one you just mentioned.

Spoiler:
Nope, that one doesn't count. You have to smash the 11 screens within the test chambers. IIRC the description of the achievement does specifically say "test chamber monitors" or something like that.

[he/him/his]

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:42 am UTC

It's worth smashing all 12 just to hear Wheatley's increasing exasperation.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:It's worth smashing all 12 just to hear Wheatley's increasing exasperation.

If I recall, his reaction to smashing monitor #12 doesn't change based on how many you got before.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:That one is the hardest of the Smash TV screens to smash.

Ay, certainly the only one that involved death :D. The previous one that you smash the same way you might need to reset just because you miss the chance, but I don't think I ever died in the previous chambers.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 am UTC

I could have sworn there were turrets in Portal 1 that
Spoiler:
said "I'm different", to lure you out or just mess with you
but playing it through again yesterday I couldn't find it. I did play through a lot faster (first time was my first game with the two handed walking controls. I'm still bad at that, but I've played a lot of MineCraft and some Fallout3 since then) and they changed the ending. Is it possible they took that out, or was I imagining things?
The ret-conning is interesting, although it feels like a bit of a stretch to even call it that because of how minimal the first game was. For example, there's no reason to think GlaDos is ever fully honest about her motivations or abilities.
Spoiler:
"Still Alive" could be about GlaDos being content to exchange getting blown up and spending a long time deactivated to get free from the cores and such Aperture stuck on her to try and control her.
Although I'm also curious if Wheatly's rant near the end about just wanting you to bring him the portal gun (and then die) was because of memories stored in GlaDos' body

The geography of the place is thrown off a bit. Along with Portal 1 having a lot more solid walls and apparently concrete structures, having the environment reflect the timeline was fun and clever, but sort of disorientating.
Spoiler:
The room with GlaDos' body is apparently on the surface, but then in one of the testing chambers she tells you that your too far underground for i to be worth pumping in fresh air. I also didn't time how long you fall, so I don't know if the distance you travel upwards adds up.
Not to mention, where you exit, you don't see any of the structures you were inside.
Of course, any of that could be easily hand-waved with portals in the elevator shafts.
The timeline itself is also interesting
Spoiler:
Between the '80's and present day gets a little hazy. Cave Johnson presumably dies in the late '70's/early '80's and Caroline is (forcibly) converted into GlaDos. Chell, as a child competes in the Bring Your Daughter to Work Day Science Fair (I can't replay the game right now, did the banner say what year it happened?) [pure speculation] GlaDos floods the compound with nuerotoxin, gets fitted with the Morality Core, Aperture gets new, more profit oriented management and shiny new test chambers are built. [/pure speculation] Chell as an adult applies to be test subject, HalfLife happens? (I only played he first 1/3 or so of the one that was on Orange Box) Aperture is abandoned.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:00 am UTC

What gave you the impression that Glados's chamber was near the surface?

As for the underground elevators, there are loading screens between the elevator starting to move and stopping, so you never know exactly how far you've travelled.

As an aside, I love that this game actually provided a reason for the protagonist being mute.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:08 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I could have sworn there were turrets in Portal 1 that
Spoiler:
but playing it through again yesterday I couldn't find it.

I don't think so. It certainly didn't ring any bells, and I'd exported and listened to every turret sound clip, from the data files.
Spoiler:
The "different" turret does appear twice, over the course of Portal 2, once quite near the start and then again later in the game... maybe you misremembered?

Alternatively, there is a turret in Portal 1 which, like the "different" turret, has a blinking laser and doesn't shoot you... it doesn't say anything, though, and it's evidently broken, rather than different... it is still trying to shoot you, in that its gun barrel arms are wiggling, but no bullets are coming out.

[he/him/his]

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:What gave you the impression that Glados's chamber was near the surface?

As for the underground elevators, there are loading screens between the elevator starting to move and stopping, so you never know exactly how far you've travelled.

As an aside, I love that this game actually provided a reason for the protagonist being mute.

Portal 1 ends with Chell
Spoiler:
thrown outside by the explosion that occurs there
then at the start of Portal 2, you find GlaDos amongst vegetation and apparent sunlight and open sky (it was in the trailer), then at the end
Spoiler:
there seems to only be one layer of panels/wall between Chell and the moon.
Although how that gets there is another question, and
Spoiler:
it's followed by a long elevator ride past many stories of singing turrets, so maybe it's down a deep hole?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:I could have sworn there were turrets in Portal 1 that
Spoiler:
but playing it through again yesterday I couldn't find it.

I don't think so. It certainly didn't ring any bells, and I'd exported and listened to every turret sound clip, from the data files.
Spoiler:
The "different" turret does appear twice, over the course of Portal 2, once quite near the start and then again later in the game... maybe you misremembered?

Alternatively, there is a turret in Portal 1 which, like the "different" turret, has a blinking laser and doesn't shoot you... it doesn't say anything, though, and it's evidently broken, rather than different... it is still trying to shoot you, in that its gun barrel arms are wiggling, but no bullets are coming out.

Where is that turret in portal 1?
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

I'm fairly certain it's towards the end of the game, sometime shortly after
Spoiler:
You escape the incinerator

I'm not entirely sure though, I only vaguely remember seeing it in the first game.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

About the timeline (what cephalopod9 was saying at the end)
Spoiler:
The bring your daughter to work day probably was the day that GLaDOS killed all the engineers. Why else would the science projects not have been cleaned up? Anyway, it's possible that the daughters were put into stasis but allowed to age until they reached adult stature. Which means that Rattmann could have been alone in the facility for 5-10 years, until he was able to force GLaDOS into putting Chell through the test chambers so she could kill GLaDOS.

Actually, that reminds me of another theory about why the facility is so different between the two games. I can't remember if I've posted it before, though, but here goes...
Spoiler:
Maybe the morality core kept GLaDOS from killing Chell until the "end" of the standard testing course. And maybe, since GLaDOS knew how dangerous Chell was, none of the panels or anything else we saw in Portal 2 were activated, because GLaDOS wanted to keep the testing course simple so she could kill Chell quickly. In the case of panels, though, it was probably the cores, or she would have used them to get rid of the portal surfaces in her chamber or close the gap where Chell first escapes.

But the thing that bothers me the most is that
Spoiler:
the incinerator in GLaDOS's chamber apparently leads to the same incinerator she tried to kill Chell with, which doesn't make sense because Aperture products are supposed to withstand that heat.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:33 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:Where is that turret in portal 1?

Spoiler:
I'm not sure my memory is accurate, but I think it's just after the bit with the room with the three doors with turrets behind them, that open one by one... and then you find a hole in the ceiling above one of the turrets and portal into this room that looks like a turret construction line or storage room or something - it's got a bunch of deactivated turrets in clawgrips or on conveyors or something, in the background. IIRC, the broken turret is in that room. It's not exactly hidden or anything, it's in a room you have to go through to beat the game, and pointing right at you...

I may be misremembering, or badly explaining, so when I get home I'll try to find a playthrough on YouTube or something, to link to. Unless someone beats me to it.

[he/him/his]

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:23 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:About the timeline (what cephalopod9 was saying at the end)
Spoiler:
The bring your daughter to work day probably was the day that GLaDOS killed all the engineers. Why else would the science projects not have been cleaned up? Anyway, it's possible that the daughters were put into stasis but allowed to age until they reached adult stature. Which means that Rattmann could have been alone in the facility for 5-10 years, until he was able to force GLaDOS into putting Chell through the test chambers so she could kill GLaDOS.
They don't reference the relaxation/stasis technology at all in the dialog, not when or how it was made, or the rules of using it. So who knows when
Spoiler:
Chell was first put in there. Although I guess that she was younger than 11 when she competed in the science fair, and older than 20 at the time of testing (looks like a young adult, GlaDos estimates about 60 years left in her natural life span) but it is clear that she doesn't age during relaxation. I don't know if being raised by Aperture would go down and "adopted", but I wouldn't put it past them to take advantage of some newly orphaned, future test subjects.
Actually, that reminds me of another theory about why the facility is so different between the two games. I can't remember if I've posted it before, though, but here goes...
Spoiler:
Maybe the morality core kept GLaDOS from killing Chell until the "end" of the standard testing course. And maybe, since GLaDOS knew how dangerous Chell was, none of the panels or anything else we saw in Portal 2 were activated, because GLaDOS wanted to keep the testing course simple so she could kill Chell quickly. In the case of panels, though, it was probably the cores, or she would have used them to get rid of the portal surfaces in her chamber or close the gap where Chell first escapes.
There were panels in the first game
Spoiler:
but they were set into walls rather than suspended over a giant chasm as most of the Test Chambers in 2 are.
Throughout 1, GlaDos seems less than enthralled with the testing process, and between the games her motivation shifts from getting Chell to remove the morality core and/or ???, to hating her a lot (vengeful genie kind of thing as I see it). Plus they pretty well handwaved any changes in GlaDos' behavior due to her mind and body both being rearranged.
Although the did change the portalable surface
Spoiler:
visual from what looks like bare concrete to shimmering white with dots/dents in it
because that reminds me to separate it from real life.
But the thing that bothers me the most is that
Spoiler:
the incinerator in GLaDOS's chamber apparently leads to the same incinerator she tried to kill Chell with, which doesn't make sense because Aperture products are supposed to withstand that heat.

Spoiler:
Supposed to, and they said nothing about enjoying those temperatures. Really though, she didn't need to destroy them so long as she broke her connection to them. Whatever that green, ephemeral tendril was that connected her to the cores, maybe that's disrupted by fire. (I was distracted with walking into the door way, and somehow missing the open incinerator, maybe you got more out of that visual than I did)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:12 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:There were panels in the first game
Spoiler:
but they were set into walls rather than suspended over a giant chasm as most of the Test Chambers in 2 are.
Throughout 1, GlaDos seems less than enthralled with the testing process, and between the games her motivation shifts from getting Chell to remove the morality core and/or ???, to hating her a lot (vengeful genie kind of thing as I see it). Plus they pretty well handwaved any changes in GlaDos' behavior due to her mind and body both being rearranged.
Although the did change the portalable surface
Spoiler:
visual from what looks like bare concrete to shimmering white with dots/dents in it
because that reminds me to separate it from real life.

Bleh. Portal 1 makes more sense by itself, with no Portal 2 or comic. But about her motivation...
Spoiler:
You might say that all of GLaDOS's attempts to kill/otherwise antagonize Chell were only to make her hate her so she would destroy her morality core. But when Chell escapes the incinerator and GLaDOS says, "What are you doing? Stop it! I-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ieeeee Weeee are pleased that you made it...." I believe that reaction was genuine, and that GLaDOS had not actually thought of using Chell to destroy the core until later. Maybe at that first short-out when Chell escaped, or maybe not until she reached her chamber (most likely, IMO). Or MAYBE she really didn't know what the morality core was until after it was destroyed, and everything she said to Chell in her chamber was true. I doubt it, though, the "reverse psychology" thing was probably true. If she had planned to use Chell from the start, why would she have used so many clearly deadly traps? Could she really be sure that Chell would survive?

Her motivation in P2 was based on revenge because she clearly wasn't expecting Chell to kill her. If she had been able to turn the rocket turret off, she would have won. Of course she's mad at Chell.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Portal 2 soundtrack, anyone?

The songs from the old facility are the ones that I really go, "Oh, this music!"
It's all pretty cool, though...
Spoiler:
Especially "Love as a Construct". It's the Turret Opera song from the end, but... In the first volume. And different. It's actually pretty cool.
:shock:

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:43 am UTC

cjdrum wrote:Portal 2 soundtrack, anyone?

The songs from the old facility are the ones that I really go, "Oh, this music!"
Spoiler:
Especially "Love as a Construct". It's the Turret Opera song from the end, but... In the first volume. And different. It's actually pretty cool.

Nothing from Portal 2 could ever, ever, ever be as good as P1's "Self Esteem Fund". That song conveys its emotion better than any other music I can think of. I have felt the way that song feels before.

And probably nothing from any game soundtrack could sound as "actiony" as "4000 degrees Kelvin". Additionally, I found "Procedural Jiggle Bone" to be a perfect menu music, and "Android Hell" just friggin sounds awesome. Yes, I am a fanboy of P1's soundtrack.

However. As a leitmotif (I sure hope I'm using that word correctly) type thingy, "The Lab's Gone Dark" is just amazing. Other than that, and the boss fight music, though, most of P2's soundtrack is just ambient noise that doesn't sound as cool as P1's ambient noise.

Come to think of it, it's similar with the lines in the game. The lemons thing was one of the most awesome parts of either of the games, but I still can't think of a single line in P2 that was even half as funny as "Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room?" and "That thing is probably some kind of raw sewage container. Go ahead and rub your face all over it." The music took a new direction, sure, but I think Valve had exhausted its supply of black comedy lines by the end of P1.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:46 am UTC

I though Wheatly as a foil for GlaDos and vice versa was pretty hilarious.
Spoiler:
"yes, all we had to do was pull that lever"
"No, you had to :zap: Augh!"
Wheatly "reading books" was great too
Although, maybe that was more light hearted due to involving Wheatly, but that also brought in some meta humor regarding level design. The first game certainly had some meta elements, but I don't think they were as highlighted for humor purposes as much.
The Scyphozoa wrote:Bleh. Portal 1 makes more sense by itself, with no Portal 2 or comic. But about her motivation...
Spoiler:
You might say that all of GLaDOS's attempts to kill/otherwise antagonize Chell were only to make her hate her so she would destroy her morality core. But when Chell escapes the incinerator and GLaDOS says, "What are you doing? Stop it! I-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ieeeee Weeee are pleased that you made it...." I believe that reaction was genuine, and that GLaDOS had not actually thought of using Chell to destroy the core until later. Maybe at that first short-out when Chell escaped, or maybe not until she reached her chamber (most likely, IMO). Or MAYBE she really didn't know what the morality core was until after it was destroyed, and everything she said to Chell in her chamber was true. I doubt it, though, the "reverse psychology" thing was probably true. If she had planned to use Chell from the start, why would she have used so many clearly deadly traps? Could she really be sure that Chell would survive?

Her motivation in P2 was based on revenge because she clearly wasn't expecting Chell to kill her. If she had been able to turn the rocket turret off, she would have won. Of course she's mad at Chell.

I presume that
Spoiler:
had Chell died, GlaDos was planning to thaw out another test subject from the reserves. There's evidence in both games that deadly traps have been part of testing design for a while, and you're far from the first to go through them. You hating her, I think, is besides the point, but emotional manipulation is definitely her MO.
Two other things that are made pretty clear are that GlaDos isn't in full control of her actions, and that she is delighted to have the morality core gone.
Fromthe first game, I suspected the Morality Core was a brute force method of mind control. The second game fits with the idea that Aperture added mechanical restrictions to her mental capacities in order to deal with her personality, and makes it all the more horrifying. The rockets in the first boss fight very well could have been an involuntary response and/or because of the last core you destroy which does nothing but snarl at you.
GlaDos waking up cranky (understatement) after eons of reliving the last two minutes of her life also makes sense, as does her wanting to bite the hand that restores her sanity and reactivates her.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Technically, it was Wheatley, not Chell, who reactivated her.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Spoiler:
Technically, it was Wheatley, not Chell, who reactivated her.

Spoiler:
And technically it was the incinerator that killed her.

[he/him/his]

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
cjdrum wrote:Portal 2 soundtrack, anyone?

Spoiler:

Nothing from Portal 2 could ever, ever, ever be as good as P1's "Self Esteem Fund". That song conveys its emotion better than any other music I can think of. I have felt the way that song feels before.

And probably nothing from any game soundtrack could sound as "actiony" as "4000 degrees Kelvin". Additionally, I found "Procedural Jiggle Bone" to be a perfect menu music, and "Android Hell" just friggin sounds awesome. Yes, I am a fanboy of P1's soundtrack.

However. As a leitmotif (I sure hope I'm using that word correctly) type thingy, "The Lab's Gone Dark" is just amazing. Other than that, and the boss fight music, though, most of P2's soundtrack is just ambient noise that doesn't sound as cool as P1's ambient noise.

I never really noticed the music in Portal 1, I guess... I need to replay that again. But I always get tingles when the halfway mark of Courtesy Call comes around.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:09 am UTC

I'm highly amused virtually every post on this page is nothing but about half a sentence followed by a spoiler tag.

Wouldn't people avoid the thread if they didn't want the plot to be spoiled?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:17 am UTC

Not necessarily... there could be people who are looking at the thread to decide whether they should buy the game (the answer to that is "yes") or people who've beaten the single-player but not the co-op, or vice-versa, or people who've gotten stuck on a puzzle and asking for hints... the thread, and game threads in general, are not purely a people-who-beat-the-game-only club in which to discuss the story... even though that is what makes up the bulk of the posts here, it's not 100%.

[he/him/his]

psion

Postby psion » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:35 am UTC

cjdrum wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That's not the turret opera, it's from a secret room. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZxOtTUPyaI

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:40 am UTC

psion wrote:
cjdrum wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That's not the turret opera, it's from a secret room. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZxOtTUPyaI

Spoiler:
Nonono. This song. At about 1:30 (give or take 10s depending on your hearing), you can hear the melody of the turret opera in the background.
:shock:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:43 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:I'm highly amused virtually every post on this page is nothing but about half a sentence followed by a spoiler tag.

Wouldn't people avoid the thread if they didn't want the plot to be spoiled?

No, they wouldn't. Because that's not how we roll here.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

cjdrum wrote:
psion wrote:
cjdrum wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Nonono. This song. At about 1:30 (give or take 10s depending on your hearing), you can hear the melody of the turret opera in the background.

Spoiler:
Well, not exactly. You're forgetting this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=feaHong-VP0 The first part of that song plays throughout the level, and the second part plays only when you're near the cube. Yes, it's the same melody, but that room is where that specific sound is from. You can also hear it when Chell passes out after GLaDOS pulls her back to Earth, and in the menu music after you finish the game.

andrewxc

Postby andrewxc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

According to GLaDOS,
Spoiler:
there are two people, a male and a female, who share Chell's last name. She implies that they could be Chell's parents. After going back through the credits, I found her last name could be Coomer or Wright (multiplayer). Did anyone find any I missed?
"We never do anything well unless we love doing it for its own sake."
Avatar: I made a "plastic carrier" for Towel Day à la So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

andrewxc wrote:According to GLaDOS,
Spoiler:
there are two people, a male and a female, who share Chell's last name. She implies that they could be Chell's parents. After going back through the credits, I found her last name could be Coomer or Wright (multiplayer). Did anyone find any I missed?

Spoiler:
How about Cave and Caroline Johnson?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

andrewxc

Postby andrewxc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Mind: Blown.
"We never do anything well unless we love doing it for its own sake."
Avatar: I made a "plastic carrier" for Towel Day à la So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:01 am UTC

andrewxc wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Mind: Blown.

Spoiler:
They never actually stated in-game that Caroline's second name was Johnson. This is a good summary of why it's a popular theory, even if he does get off the point a bit - but to sum it up:

Caroline and Cave are together

When you see it, you will s*** bricks

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 am UTC

Spoiler:
I don't really believe those theories. Cave was obviously long dead by then, and Caroline... well, we'd have to get into the "what is consciousness" debate. Was she still alive in her own body after GLaDOS was created and put into service? Was it her who brought Chell to work? I think it's more likely that Chell's parents were completely unrelated and that she was adopted by an Aperture employee.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:49 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Spoiler:
They never actually stated in-game that Caroline's second name was Johnson. This is a good summary of why it's a popular theory, even if he does get off the point a bit - but to sum it up:

Caroline and Cave are together

When you see it, you will s*** bricks
Why does the commenter keep calling her "Cell"?
Spoiler:
Even while commenting on a picture because it says "Chell" on it.

As I said before, I don't think the years match up at all, but I understand the temptation to want to read it that way. For one it would completely change everything GlaDos says during the boss fight of Portal I
Spoiler:
Things like "you're not a scientist, you're not even a full time employee", and her comments on Chell being adopted would necessarily also be about Caroline abandoning her (perhaps when she was unwillingly made into GlaDos). However, it doesn't make sense within the rest of the story. There's nothing special attached to Chell, even if Caroline could take steps to hide her, Aperture as a whole doesn't seem great at keeping things secret and secure. More importantly, GlaDos regaining her Caroline memories, while a potato no less, would have had no reason keep such a revelation from Chell even if she had the ability.
And again, the time line; Chell was drawing with crayon a decade or two after Cave Johnson was an old man, "deathly ill" from moon dust.
That brings me back to a theory of mine from Portal 1: Rat Man/ Rattman was trapped in the facility (from since) before it was completely abandoned.
Replaying portal one, I noticed one of the rat-caves, I think it's room 17 or 18, the one with Companion Cube, features a calender page from 1983.
The comic shows him being involved with the neurotoxin event, which I presume to be what preceded the creation of the Morality Core, but not the catastrophe that finally drove everyone out. Fitting with the Greek mythology theme, Rattman could have been a Cassandra character.

Return to “Gaming”