Portal 2 : Princess No-Knees 3 : Jump Harder

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

balderduck

Re: Portal 2 : Princess No-Knees 3 : Jump Harder

Postby balderduck » Sat May 21, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

I don't really know how high sales are supposed to be, but I suppose from what you shown me that they're not that good

:(
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

There are numbers for comparison in a chart at the bottom of that page. Basically where Portal sold some 100k copies, Black Ops sold some eight million.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Sat May 21, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

I wouldn't trust that site - those numbers look way to low. This one seems a bit more realistic
http://www.gamesworldsa.com/Portal-2-Sa ... ws462.html
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 21, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

From what I recall, Steam doesn't like to release sales figures. So good luck figuring out how many copies were sold.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sat May 21, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

Not to mention, below, it has separate categories for the same games on the same platform. It had about 124k copies for PC, 808k copies for xbox, 570k copies for PS3. And yeah, if they're just going by retail, not including steam, then their numbers are going to be huge underestimates for any PC games.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Soralin wrote:Not to mention, below, it has separate categories for the same games on the same platform. It had about 124k copies for PC, 808k copies for xbox, 570k copies for PS3. And yeah, if they're just going by retail, not including steam, then their numbers are going to be huge underestimates for any PC games.

Particularly one released by Valve.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat May 21, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:There are numbers for comparison in a chart at the bottom of that page. Basically where Portal sold some 100k copies, Black Ops sold some eight million.

We don't need numbers. I think "Black Ops has made more money than any other entertainment thing ever" pretty much sums it up.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Sat May 21, 2011 11:33 pm UTC

Well crap will always outsell quality (sorry to any COD fans)

It's the same in movies, tv, music as well

But the thing is do the people who really put their hearts out and create something compelling and engaging for those looking for something more make enough money to keep doing what they're doing...

An interesting experiment on that subject is going on right now with the witcher. Small, independent company, makes a hard, dialog/story heavy RPG giving it everything they've got, and on top of that take a risk by giving out downloadable DRM-free copies and free DLC

Let's see if those guys do well...

(also a comparison to DA:2 which is the exact opposite, a huge company with a very positive record, make a money-grab with a half-assed dumbed down game and charges for DLC)
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon May 23, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:From what I recall, Steam doesn't like to release sales figures. So good luck figuring out how many copies were sold.

Valve has historically not released sales numbers, and being a private company, they don't have to.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

balderduck wrote:Well crap will always outsell quality

I'd like to hear why you think this.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Mon May 23, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:

Well, crap is cheaper to produce, and if the target demographics standards are low enough, it will sell. Quality is expensive and just isn't made enough.
Oh, and elitism, almost forgot that.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

psion

Postby psion » Mon May 23, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:

Products designed for the masses will generally outsell products designed for people with refined sensibilities.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

psion wrote:
rigwarl wrote:

Products designed for the masses will generally outsell products designed for people with refined sensibilities.

But something designed for the masses doesn't necessarily means its not quality. Honda and Toyota outsell Hyundai and Kia, all are aimed at the masses but the former are more expensive and are of a higher quality.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Mon May 23, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

I don't think you can compare car production to a more creative product, like a video game (or a film or a book). When talking about a creative work, it does seem like you have to keep watering something down to make it more accessible to a wider audience. Not a universal rule, of course.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 23, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

psion wrote:
rigwarl wrote:

What's the difference between Refined Sensibilities and Weird Niche?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

psion

Postby psion » Mon May 23, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
psion wrote:
rigwarl wrote:

What's the difference between Refined Sensibilities and Weird Niche?

Different letters? It depends on if we're talking universally or specifically to creative works, as SamaraLexx says. My statement is universally true, but when we talk about creative works and use words like "weird niche" then we're really diving into the realm of subjectivity (which I was trying to avoid for the sake of brevity on this off-topic tangent).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

Yeah, I was more of meaning Creative Works. Sure, there are works designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and there's works that are aimed at a very specific subset of the population, but I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of having anything be called Refined Sensibilities or Refined Taste or whatever, at least not on the whole. You could say that someone has a very refined taste in horror movies as they stick to a specific subcategory of the genre, but overall? I'm just not digging the elitist vibe.

And man, this here High Culture place? I've always thought of that being half the point - bizarre little tangents that branch off and feed back in to the main thread in 5-20 posts. Anything longer should probably stop or get split, anything lower isn't really a tangent....... but whatever.

Orange and Blue Speedy Thing Conserves Momentum for Cake. There, now we're on topic again.

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Mon May 23, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

We had Portal 2 playing on the PS3 and the PC together in the same house: when GLaDOS sounds like she's echoing she sounds more creepy than usual. :P

psion

Postby psion » Mon May 23, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

The phrase does have more than a bit of a negative stigma as being elitist, but that wasn't my intention and I couldn't think of any words that better fit the concept. Refined as in knowing what they like by consuming a large quantity of X, sensibilities as in the senses or understanding of that which they've they've come to realize that they like. I'm mainly referring to experiencing and reflecting on things like writing or game mechanics, and those who have can generally agree on what is quality, though there are several "weird niches" that are developed through the same process.
The masses of the gaming world generally only care that the game is simple, playable, and has a strong IP (Halo ODST), hence why the majority of new games have a number on the end. Someone with refined sensibilities are looking for the qualities that they like, but putting a lot of sweat and money into providing those qualities can be risky (Psychonauts).

SecondTalon wrote:And man, this here High Culture place? I've always thought of that being half the point - bizarre little tangents that branch off and feed back in to the main thread in 5-20 posts. Anything longer should probably stop or get split, anything lower isn't really a tangent....... but whatever.
Well obviously it's all under your discretion and bias, so I tend not to write an essay on a tangent lest it spark a long discussion that gets killed... Which bugs me for a few different reasons.

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 24, 2011 10:26 am UTC

Finally got around to finishing this.

Really enjoyed the end.
Really didn't enjoy all the 'spot the panels which are the right shade of white off in the distance somewhere' in the middle of the game.

Probably won't be replaying it.
Probably will be selling the game on.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 24, 2011 10:46 am UTC

There was a distinct lack of portal surfaces throughout the entire game, even in test chambers. You could usually work out how to solve a puzzle just by seeing where the portal sufaces were. Like, a single portal-sized white panel on the wall, surrounded by metal, was a dead giveaway that you were supposed to put a portal there at some point during the test. Like a bright neon sign saying "Put the portal here. No, not over there, HERE. Over here! Here, you moron!" In the original, most walls and floors and ceilings were portalable. That made you have to actually think about it for a while, and thus it was always more satisfying to complete. That's why I loved that level where you've got the white goo and you can paint the entire room with it; I actually solved that one first time in an unintended way.

That said, it's far from a bad game. I still think it's the best game I've played for years. It's just the emphasis was more on storytelling and funny dialogue monologue than actual portal puzzles.

I found some replay value in going back through Chapter 8 and smashing all the monitors.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 24, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
roband wrote:Probably won't be replaying it.
Can you actually resell this if you got a boxed copy? I thought everything tied into steam.

On PC, sure. But Portal is on two other platforms.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue May 24, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I found some replay value in going back through Chapter 8 and smashing all the monitors.

This is an awesomely fun achievement to get.

Here are some more challenges; some of these are really fun too. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1862219. (I posted this before but it can't hurt to say again.)

Edit: I haven't done all, but these are the ones I remember really liking, as well as a couple modifications
  • Chapter 2, Chamber 03: complete the test with only two portal placements. (decent, not great)
  • Chapter 3, Chamber 10: trap yourself. If you do it right, Glados will respond
  • Chapter 3, Chamber 10: complete the test, each aerial faith place having only been triggered only once. (This is hard to judge as I spoiled myself to the key observation on YouTube)
  • Chapter 3, Chamber 11: complete the test with the light bridge only having been "moved" twice. Moving is any time you place a portal that makes a light bridge appear somewhere where it wasn't before placing the portal. (This is awesome)
  • Chapter 3, Chamber 12: complete the test, only "moving" the hard light bridge once (see above for definition of "moving") (I haven't done this, but I may know how; I'm not positive. I think the technical difficulty rating is rather understated if I'm right.)
  • Chapter 3, Chamber 15: trap yourself. (Decent)
  • Chapter 3, Chamber 16: Complete the level without setting any turrets on fire. You can still knock them over. (I have to give a shoutout to my contribution. I think puzzle rating should be **,)
  • Chapter 4, Chamber 18: Get up on top of one of the raised metal platforms (the ones with the Aerial Faith Plates on them). (Decent)
  • Chapter 8, Chamber 02: Complete the test with only 5 portal placements. (I don't really like this as-is... but if you change it to 6, it becomes a lot better.)
  • Chapter 8, Chamber 05: Complete the test without letting either of the aerial faith plates be triggered.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Xeio wrote:
roband wrote:Probably won't be replaying it.
Can you actually resell this if you got a boxed copy? I thought everything tied into steam.

On PC, sure. But Portal is on two other platforms.

Where did Xeio's quote come from there? I can't see it....

But yes, I own the game on Xbox. Will be completing the multiplayer shortly, and then selling it.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed May 25, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

roband wrote:Where did Xeio's quote come from there? I can't see it....
I totally didn't delete a post there before SexyTalon managed to quote it... nope... not at all.

Either he quoted it during the 30 seconds between when I hit post and delete, or because he's a mod he can see soft deletes and quoted it.

Incidentally, yes, I went *facepalm* as a realized you could resell the 360 version at least (with steam integrated to the PS3 version, can that still be resold)?

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed May 25, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

A resell to Steam would be awesome.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 25, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Either he quoted it during the 30 seconds between when I hit post and delete, or because he's a mod he can see soft deletes and quoted it.

*facepalm* I fail at reading.

This post was soft deleted by Xeio on Tue May 24, 2011 12:04 pm.

SecondTalon » Tue May 24, 2011 12:16 pm

... yet another reason I wish Soft Deleting would go away....... but it's also so much fun to read the stupid things that people caught themselves saying and deleted before anyone noticed.

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Wed May 25, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am UTC

My personal favorite bit of music from the game was the smooth jazz. I was really mad that you only get to hear a few seconds of it in the game.

SecondTalon wrote: but it's also so much fun to read the stupid things that people caught themselves saying and deleted before anyone noticed.

I was not aware that mods could do this. I may leave secret messages for mods from now on.

Is there a way for me to look at my own edit histories?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 26, 2011 10:47 am UTC

Stellazira wrote:I'll leave this here:
http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

I'm very disappointed the turret orchestra isn't in there. I want to hear it in full without all the elevator noises and stuff.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 26, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:I was not aware that mods could do this. I may leave secret messages for mods from now on.

Is there a way for me to look at my own edit histories?
I don't believe we can see the edit history. What we can see is the soft-deleted posts. There's.. a surprising number of them. The Fleeting Thoughts thread in General, for example.. people talk about a pagetopper halfway down the thread at this point - and I also suspect the modstaff is a page or two ahead of everyone else too, what with all the deleting that goes on in there.

But.. back to Princess No-Knees and how she learned to jump.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu May 26, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

I'm very disappointed the turret orchestra isn't in there. I want to hear it in full without all the elevator noises and stuff.

There are three volumes that will be released; they've only put up #1. So don't hold your breath (that's standard advice for Valve) but I'd be surprised if it's not there eventually.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu May 26, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

I didn't realize how IDM-y the Portal two soundtrack was until it was all isolated like this :D

I Saw A Deer Today is my favorite, definitely. Besides maybe the secret turret chamber.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Robert'); DROP TABLE *;

Postby Robert'); DROP TABLE *; » Fri May 27, 2011 10:03 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

"Turret Wife Serenade?"
...And that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am UTC

Robert'); DROP TABLE *; wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:

"Turret Wife Serenade?"

Is good, but not as good as the turret orchestra. I also had that one extracted from game files anyway.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat May 28, 2011 4:10 am UTC

Robert'); DROP TABLE *; wrote:"Turret Wife Serenade?"

Spoiler:
That's the secret turret chamber I mentioned above. Different from the epic one at the end of the game.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:37 am UTC

Yay, I finally got to play co-op! We had a lot of fun killing each other all the time.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

TheCasualObserver

Postby TheCasualObserver » Sat May 28, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

Loved the game. Only problem was that I thought it was a little unchallenging.... hopefully the dlc will be more difficult (and out before the apocalypse).
The co-op ones were a bit better though, they required more thought.

Robert'); DROP TABLE *;

Postby Robert'); DROP TABLE *; » Sun May 29, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Cave asked and Cave received. (spoiler, sort of)
...And that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

Cahojama

Postby Cahojama » Tue May 31, 2011 10:58 pm UTC

If you liked the game, you will LOVE this short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NorZUFfpvC0

I couldn't stop smiling the entire time.

Its a short film( 8mins) of her after the first game conclusion.
"There's a much simpler way of slowing time. You'll work it out eventually, and then wonder what all the fuss was about."

Return to “Gaming”