Portal 2 : Princess No-Knees 3 : Jump Harder

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: Portal 2 : Princess No-Knees 3 : Jump Harder

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:26 am UTC

You guys have a point... I guess I never really considered the timeline behind it.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Just started playing this weekend, but I don't think I can play it too often - I can only play it on my gf's PS3, and it really triggers her motion sickness (not even the portalling, just the normal FPS camera movements). Have made it to about the half-way point, though, and enjoying it so far. I think my most embarrasing moment, besides just having trouble remembering which portal to put where, is looking around for some portallable surface up in the sky, shooting portals like crazy hoping that one would hit, and not noticing that there was a perfectly good one on the other side of a fence - girlfriend had just loaded up a walkthrough video to help me when I suddenly spotted it and facepalmed myself.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

Remember that free DLC announcement?
Yeah...
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06 ... otionpack/
Motherfuckers.

Valve practically went from god-like to sleazy overnight with the Mannconomy update, and with this, sleazy to the closest a game company can ever get to being evil. Just like that.

When whatshisface said "Portal was a test bed. Portal 2 is a game," I don't think the distinction, for Valve, had much to do with how big of an effort it was. I think he referred to how much money they would make.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:08 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Remember that free DLC announcement?
Yeah...
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06 ... otionpack/
Motherfuckers.

Valve practically went from god-like to sleazy overnight with the Mannconomy update, and with this, sleazy to the closest a game company can ever get to being evil. Just like that.

Um please specify? That DLC isn't really from Valve (though they probably had a small hand in it), and the $140 includes a very unique controller.

(Not to mention that article is a month and a half old.)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:35 am UTC

It was announced that there would be "free" DLC "this summer". Technically, the "free" could still be considered true, since you buy the controller and get the levels "free". So, that's a great way to get people hyped and then disappoint them, especially since nobody is actually going to want the stupid controller.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:00 am UTC

Where does it say the DLC from Sixense Studios has anything to do with the free DLC Valve promised?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:It was announced that there would be "free" DLC "this summer". Technically, the "free" could still be considered true, since you buy the controller and get the levels "free". So, that's a great way to get people hyped and then disappoint them, especially since nobody is actually going to want the stupid controller.
Also, bit slow on the uptake eh? That news is, what, 2 months old now?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:It was announced that there would be "free" DLC "this summer". Technically, the "free" could still be considered true, since you buy the controller and get the levels "free". So, that's a great way to get people hyped and then disappoint them, especially since nobody is actually going to want the stupid controller.

I just now decided to Google it, since I don't follow gaming news sites all the time?

And they said "this summer", usually in business terms that means by the end of August, so they only have a month to even announce the release date, if what I just linked to isn't it.

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:03 am UTC

It's Valve; by "this summer" they meant "ten years from now, maybe".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:40 am UTC

Xeio wrote:

Either point out where this was discussed in the thread and thus Scyphozoa's post is a repeat of old information, or shut up about the age of the article.

I'm getting goddamn tired of all y'all assholes sniping each other over stupid-ass shit. Not just in this thread, in all of them. Knock it the fuck out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:07 am UTC

Be mad at Valve for taking their usual sweet time, not for renigging on their free DLC. If we haven't heard anything in a few more months we can start to have that discussion. (And even if we do, that DLC definitely isn't it.)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm getting goddamn tired of all y'all assholes sniping each other over stupid-ass shit. Not just in this thread, in all of them. Knock it the fuck out.[/color]
Are... are you trying to be ironic?

Oh god don't hurt me I'm sorry!

Man, I've played the single player, coop, every single player winner and runnerup for the custom map competition, and yet according to steam I've only spent 16 hours on Portal 2. For a $50 game it is stupid short. I guess I'm a friggin genius so I zip through the puzzles like no one's business... but give me the DLC already.
-Adam

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:I'm getting goddamn tired of all y'all assholes sniping each other over stupid-ass shit. Not just in this thread, in all of them. Knock it the fuck out.[/color]
Are... are you trying to be ironic?

Oh god don't hurt me I'm sorry!

Man, I've played the single player, coop, every single player winner and runnerup for the custom map competition, and yet according to steam I've only spent 16 hours on Portal 2. For a $50 game it is stupid short. I guess I'm a friggin genius so I zip through the puzzles like no one's business... but give me the DLC already.

Steam says I've gotten 68 hours out of it. That's with multiple playthroughs (2-3, by my count, plus playing through maps from http://thinkingwithportals.com). I suppose the easiest way to quantify how many custom maps I've played is to state that my portal 2 maps folder (Steam/steamapps/common/portal2/portal2/maps) contains 351 files. I'm not sure how many maps (files) are there in a vanilla install... but I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.

psion

Postby psion » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

Asticode

Postby Asticode » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

I like portal as much as the next guy, altogether, but portal 2 sort of felt like a something in the gameplay was lacking. As if the entire experience was a sort of an empty shell.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

It's probably the difference in level design style, the fact that Portal 2's walls are mostly black so it's more obvious where you need to put portals. Plus, there are less tasks that are difficult to execute, like double flings.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:55 am UTC

I'll just put this here.

(See here for source and more pictures of the build process)

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:And they said "this summer", usually in business terms that means by the end of August, so they only have a month to even announce the release date, if what I just linked to isn't it.

I dunno. Valve doesn't really have to do anything. I wouldn't find it too out of the ordinary to come home to find an update to Portal 2 with a bunch of new levels and a press release the same day. Conventional is really not something I consider Valve to be.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:19 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I wouldn't find it too out of the ordinary to come home to find an update with a bunch of new levels
It works with Angry Birds!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

psion

Postby psion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:11 pm UTC

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

I presume Wheatley's sitting "upside-down" or has his 'eyeball' rotated and is reading Machiavelli just fine!

Pandorly

Postby Pandorly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

I'm gonna leave this here because I'm the best at space.

I'm a bit late in replying to this thread but did many people finish co-op mode? It was probably the most fun two-player game I've ever played.
'Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition(!!!).' - Adam Smith

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Not technically Portal 2, but the momentum_advanced bonus level in Portal Pro has about the most awesome solution I've seen in a while. Came to me while lying in bed, and I got way too excited to actually fall asleep so I had to go try it. In one way it was actually rather harder to execute than I expected, and in another it was easier.

(Well, I actually think there are probably two solutions; one is awesome, the other is boring.)

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:I presume Wheatley's sitting "upside-down" or has his 'eyeball' rotated and is reading Machiavelli just fine!

Or he can just read upside down and is showing off. I can, albeit slower than right side up.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:54 am UTC

Being a poor kid, I went through books faster than we could afford them, thus I started reading upside down to slow myself. Nowadays I can read upside down just as fast as reading normally, which comes in surprisingly handy sometimes.

psion

Postby psion » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:51 am UTC

˙pɹıǝʍ ǝɹ,noʎ

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Being a poor kid, I went through books faster than we could afford them, thus I started reading upside down to slow myself. Nowadays I can read upside down just as fast as reading normally, which comes in surprisingly handy sometimes.

This is sad and hilarious at the same time.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Being a poor kid, I went through books faster than we could afford them, thus I started reading upside down to slow myself. Nowadays I can read upside down just as fast as reading normally, which comes in surprisingly handy sometimes.

I've never found reading upside-down particularly hard either... not sure why, though.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Pandorly

Postby Pandorly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

Learning to read Arabic may pose considerably fewer challenges for somebody who does that.
'Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition(!!!).' - Adam Smith

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:05 am UTC

Sorry for the small thread necro, but Valve has announced (1) that the third soundtrack volume is up and (2) the DLC will be released on Oct 4.

Sounds like the focus of the DLC is on co-op (unfortunately, according to me), but there will be a challenge mode as well for us single-player folks.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:55 am UTC

Woo! And, Woo!

I also note they're calling it the "first DLC" here, so they, like us, think the Sixense thing doesn't count.

[edit] Also woo: the music thing has Cara Mia Addio without all the elevator noises mixed in :D And with about a minute of extra stuff at the end. Also, now I know the official name of that song.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

I would have enjoyed single-player DLC more as well, but I guess the puzzles can get more complex in co-op.

Unrelated to DLC but I saw this on reddit the other day.

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Well, here it is. It'll auto-download the DLC on steam. I find the single player challenges to be...lacking. It's just a timer, a portal counter, and a display of everyone else's score. Which is nice, but I'd rather have, you know, actual challenges, set by Valve, for the levels.

All of my co-op buddies seem to be in class at the moment so I'm unable to play through that, but there's 9 new levels in there that have to be "unlocked." I assume this means playing through the co-op levels again and beating some threshold score, but that's speculation.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Kirby wrote:Well, here it is. It'll auto-download the DLC on steam. I find the single player challenges to be...lacking. It's just a timer, a portal counter, and a display of everyone else's score. Which is nice, but I'd rather have, you know, actual challenges, set by Valve, for the levels.

Really? That sucks, guess I won't bother with it then...

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:55 am UTC

Kirby wrote:Well, here it is. It'll auto-download the DLC on steam. I find the single player challenges to be...lacking. It's just a timer, a portal counter, and a display of everyone else's score. Which is nice, but I'd rather have, you know, actual challenges, set by Valve, for the levels.

Yeah, same here. I like the graphs it gives you, but I'd really like to see mileposts for bronze/silver/gold.

Also Glados totally said I was faster than everybody when I was towards the wrong end of the curve because I was working on # portals. Better feedback would be nice. (I did get a "That was very... not totally awful" or something the first time. I approve.)

Edit: and they "fixed" the reportal glitch, even in the non-challenge modes. I get why they did it for the leaderboards, but I'm rather disappointed by the removal in the main game.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:20 am UTC

What's the reportal glitch?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

mister k

Postby mister k » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:50 am UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Thank you, mister smartarse, I did already Google it. But the funny thing about the Google results is they are either gaming sites or videos. Both are things which are blocked at work.

Now, in the time it took you to be an insufferable smartarse, and obtain a lmgtfy link, you might as well have just answered the question.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

mister k

Postby mister k » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 am UTC

I dunno, this way seemed a lot more fun for me.

Fire two portals into the floor, then as, you go through them, fire their replacements. Done right, this'll make you super fast.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

Speedy thing goes in, speedier thing comes out. :P

Return to “Gaming”