Microscope - fractal gaming

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

She

Microscope - fractal gaming

Postby She » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

I want to tell you about a role-playing game called Microscope. It's about playing out an entire span of world history, starting with the general picture and digging inwards.

The first thing you decide is what it would be about, including the ending. A great empire rises and falls.
Then you decide on your starting and ending periods. Start: numerous tribes are united by a great leader. End: the empire is split up in four parts, each of which isolates itself from the others.
Then you take turns creating things in the middle. Maybe you want a long period of war with the northern barbarians? Great, my turn now.
You create at different scales, and when someone wants to really get down to brass tacks and see who said what and who stabbed whom, you can play out a scene, choosing roles and role-playing as you would any RPG.

You can find more about it here.

There's a pbf game with a spot open here.
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

Naurgul

Re: Microscope - fractal gaming

Postby Naurgul » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

I've heard some really good things about it, but I'm reluctant to buy without trying it first. Is there any sort of demo out there? Alternatively, can we arrange an online game? (that pbf game you linked to seems out of spots).
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

She

Postby She » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

There's an open spot as of right now, you want me to reseve it for you until you get membership approval?
Edit: I'm Tiger over there, if it wasn't clear.

She

Postby She » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:43 am UTC

On second thought, I think this could just as well be merged with "indie & small press tabletop rpgs".

Return to “Gaming”