Anyone feel like trying Dungeons & Dragons Online?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nemiro

Anyone feel like trying Dungeons & Dragons Online?

Postby Nemiro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:17 am UTC

So DDO has been free-2-play for a while now, and I'm pretty bored these days.. Does anyone feel like getting a few people together to play?

If you've played it before, some insight on to how likely this is to be fun would be appreciated. I don't have much more to add to this OP, except for maybe keeping a list of who's up for it, and when they're available (I am online most evenings from 5-late GMT). Although I will be going away from any place with decent internet from the 16th till the 25th (that's the plan anyhow), so this might not get off the ground right-away, assuming anyone is interested.

EDITS:

Levi expresses interest and can play from 9 PM to 2 AM [GMT] Most days.
Last edited by Nemiro on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

Levi

Re: Anyone feel like trying Dungeons & Dragons Online?

Postby Levi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 am UTC

I played it for a bit. I only leveled up a couple times so I only have experience with the introductory stuff, but it seems to be pretty well polished if not exactly inspired. The biggest draw was the fact that most all of the monsters I had fought in D&D (or at least read about in the MM). The terrain was fairly linear but there were nooks and crannies hidden about. I played it with a friend of mine, which was fairly entertaining, but I don't think it would have been nearly as good on my own. I chose to be a bard, and it turns out that they actually did a pretty good job of making support characters. You get useful buffs right from the start (though it was easy enough that they were never really the difference between success and failure and more the number of times we had to go back for health) and the character can handle his own in combat. Which brings me to the combat: It's pretty nice. I liked it more than WoW, which I played for about the same length of time. It seemed that there was more content and things happened faster in DDO. The story wasn't especially captivating, but it was good enough. Final verdict: Very polished, very smooth, very well suited to group play, BUT YOU NEVER GET TO A FIGHT A BOSS. I had forgotten about that. I played through this ridiculously long dungeon with the promise of a dragon and a mind flayer at the end. Turns out I only got to watch them fight with another adventuring party as I scampered along the side of a wall. I never really got to fight much more than mooks.

Anyways, I'm available from 9 pm to 2 am GMT most weekdays except Mondays on which I may be free as early as 4 pm GMT.

The Scyphozoa

Re: Anyone feel like trying Dungeons & Dragons Online?

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:35 pm UTC

Oh, I wish I could play... but the graphics make me sick and I don't know why. Something about the color scheme, or because all the characters are god fugly.

Anyway, I'm sure they have bosses later on, since one major point of DDO ads is the Beholder.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Return to “Gaming”