Kerbal Space Program

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

I looked at the altitude and for some reason thought it was the speed in m/s.

Pfft, what's a d/dt here or there?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Something horrifying has happened.
how did you...
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Some sort of bug. Destroyed my entire rocket except for my probe core - Octo-2 ftw.

It's effectively reproducible by using decouplers - decouple force doesn't destroy, so you can mod'em so that they have a strong, strong push. I got up to NaN that way once.
Omni.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Yeah, I just tried an entirely decoupler based rocket. Kerbals were fine, but they didn't lift off.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Yeah, base ones aren't nearly powerful enough, unfortunately (for your decoupler rocket)
Omni.

Obby

Postby Obby » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Woops.

I was trying to orbit Kearth. First time managing to successfully orbit anything, even if it wasn't the intended target!
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

The orbitting tutorial is very useful, I found.

Also, it's Kerbin, unless Kearth is something else I'm unaware of.
Omni.

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Woot! Finally landed my Moho base with that final delivery of fuel! Fifteen Kerbals now have permanent residence on the surface, with another two in orbit!
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Here's me, blatantly plugging another youtube video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70cXn3cixcU

No Many kerbals were harmed in the making of this video.

medikohl

Postby medikohl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:41 am UTC

This is almost painful to watch....

I used to be at this level when I was starting out.

Now all of the knowledge I take for granted...

Damn this game gets easy when you finally learn enough to know what you're doing.

asparagus style staging helps you a good deal

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

Oh me yarm! Version 0.22 feature video is out and it looks awesome. FOR SCIENCE!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Subassembly components! Finally!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

wam

Postby wam » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

Currently having an issue where small engines won't fire, fuel goes down but nothing happens. Even happens with the Kerbal X sample ship where the center engine fires but none of the exterior ones do.

Anyone else ahve a similar issue?

Am currently re installing this to see if that fixes it. The re install fixed it, good job I didn't have any save files I really wanted.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

This is possibly the most masochistic spacecraft I have ever built.

Arriving around Jool:

Spoiler:

Pol orbit:

Spoiler:

Pol landing:

Spoiler:

The spacecraft itself is still in orbit - Jeb jetpacked down to the surface, and had more than enough to return to the ship. I don't think the ship would have had enough thrust to lift off again.
Last edited by SlyReaper on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Masochistic how? The solar panels look like they'll rip off at a breath of atmo...

One of the mods included medium and large ion engines. It was fun having something to do with all that power.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Masochistic just because it's very slow at manoeuvring. Spending lots of time limited to 4x time acceleration. But hey, it allowed me to land on a small moon I've never landed on before. I think I might try Bop as well, in this same flight. Got more than enough delta v for it.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:41 am UTC

I have no idea how you guys manage to do 1000+ in-game-days-long missions. I don't have the heart to leave my kerbals stranded in a tiny capsule for that long.

My last big project was back in 0.18.1: a somewhat large ship assembled in orbit over 7 launches called the Prometheus. Each ship module was attached to the adjacent modules by 4 docking ports (this was back when RCS was magically balanced so it was actually kinda easy). It actually sucked quite a bit since it only had about 2 km/s of delta-v, so the only trips it ever made were to Duna and back to low Kerbin orbit. I was planning on replacing the fuel module with a bigger one and sending it out to Jool or something but I lost interest when 0.19 was released and my mods broke. My then-next project was going to be a base on Duna which would be assembled by space trucks that I would land there: I managed to land three base part thingies within 1 km of each other with the help of copious savescumming before 0.19 came along. I felt pretty bad about abandoning this save actually, I had seven geo (kerbo) synchronous communication satellites, four of which were at 90° to each other and were used for Kerbin system activities, and three set at 120° to each other for deep space stuff. I also had two satellites covering the poles, one for each: they were in highly eccentric semisynchronous orbits, with periapsis over the unwatched pole and apoapsis over the watched one.

Some pics of my stuff:
Spoiler:
The Prometheus bridge, RCS tanks, comms and crew module sitting in orbit waiting for the fuel tank and engines:
The complete Prometheus:
A kerbal's eye view of the Prometheus, looking from the crew quarters up to the bridge (I think):
The booster used to get the modules in orbit:
My satellite constellation (the geosync ones drifted apart actually since I wasn't very precise with the orbits >.>):
A drone I sent up to the north pole for the anomaly:
My geosync satellites on the booster:
SPACE TRUCKING (this was so hard to get into orbit you have no fucking idea):
The space train I sent to Duna, missing the engine module (this was horribly unstable under acceleration, and I don't think I ever landed anything other than the truck):
My small ground-based Duna base (this was before rovers were a thing, I used mod parts):
A space station I was starting to construct when I stopped playing, which held the to-be-replaced Prometheus fuel storage:
The space tug in action:
she/her

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

So, there's a pre-alpha multiplayer mod. I hope it gets tuned up well, because I have some rover designs with launchable cruise missiles that I dearly want to test out on moving targets :p

http://sesau.ca/ksp/KMP.html

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:32 am UTC

So, I'm in orbit around Jool, inside of Lyathe, and I keep trying to hit land. Unfortunately, if I ramp the speed up, the game suddenly doesn't remember how to space, and any planned burns get borked. Also, I'm having a devil of a time actually landing on Lyathe land.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Kerbal spaaace Program

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Very much enjoying the planet factory mod:

Adds a bunch of planets that are really hard to get to. A bit of a challenge if ever you feel like vanilla KSP is getting too easy.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56993-Krag-s-Planet-Factory-New-Planets

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:04 am UTC

I love the one whose equatorial rotation speed is greater than the planet's escape velocity (Inaccessible?).
I recently downloaded the Deadly Re-entry mod, and I'm very happy with the increased challenge; I'm also considering downloading the one that makes planets realistic sizes.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:00 am UTC

One of the forum posts I saw talking about that body mentioned something about firing some kind of hooks down to wheel yourself in?

How would you do it otherwise? Very slowly bring yourself to the surface, and then fire hard in the direction of rotation? If the rotational velocity is higher than the escape velocity, can anything even land on it? Can anything even rest on the surface?

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:46 am UTC

You can rest on the surface, but it requires more downward force than is provided by gravity. This is at the equator. It is possible to land untethered and unthrusted at the poles.
Omni.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:53 am UTC

Heh. Funky.

What's 'tethered'? Is that a mod?

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Yeah, you either need to get a mod that lets you grappling hook to the surface, or in vanilla you can constantly thrust towards the ground.

Or land near the poles.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:14 am UTC

I love the idea of landing at the poles, and then driving to the equator.

How good are the tethers?

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:27 am UTC

I've no idea how good the tethers are, unfortunately — I've only seen screenshots of them from the KSP players in Reddit, never really them myself.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:32 am UTC

Yes, it is a mod, the "Kerbal Attachment System" plugin (link).

I'm still playing around with the interstellar mod myself (along with some others, inspired by Scott Manley's interstellar series. Needless to say, deadly reentry makes Aerobraking harder)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:01 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I love the idea of landing at the poles, and then driving to the equator.

How good are the tethers?

You can't drive to the equator unless you use rockets to push yourself onto the surface. I'll attempt it some time and video it.

Anyway, I've sent a probe out to Sentar and found that moon with surface liquid. A small lander probe is now on its way to measure the temperature, surface gravity, pressure, all that jazz. I've assumed similar numbers to Laythe, but don't know for sure yet.

Edit: landed a probe on Erin:

Spoiler:

Surface gravity is 0.8g - about the same as Laythe. Atmospheric pressure is just shy of 0.7 bars, which is a bit less than Laythe's 0.8. Temperature hovers just above the 0°C mark, plenty warm enough to keep those lakes liquid, assuming they are indeed water and perhaps with a bit of salt in them.

More interestingly, Erin is not tidally locked to Sentar.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:57 am UTC

Just got a friend into this, it's been a blast walking someone through the intro stuff.

Anyone mess with the kethane mods? I'm looking over the threads and there are some gorgeous looking ships. Someone put together some giant mess that has detachable miners and fuel tugs. I love the idea of launching/assembling something that can make it's way throughout the entire solar system on it's own capacity.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:18 am UTC

It would be amusing if planets could have tunnels in them.

So you could drive to the equator through a tunnel, upside down for most of the trip. Then launch yourself to space by simply driving over the lip...
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 am UTC

I got this game a week or so ago when it was on sale on steam. At first I was sort of, meh, as it has a steep learning curve. But now that I have taken three brave Kerbalnauts to the Moon and back I am getting really into it.

Last night I sent an unmanned rocket with a rover to the moon, with the intention of sending some Kerbalnauts in a separate launch to drive it around. However, I didn't think to engage the parking brake before decoupling and since the rover didn't have an AI, I could only watch as it rolled away. Eventually, it jumped off a hill roll and crashed. On the positive side, I have something for the next rover to go explore. :D

On the subject of rovers, mine is rather small and I tried putting solar panels on it, but if I put them too high it made it too top heavy and if I put them low, they broke off. I could have them and not move when they are deployed, but that is boring. What I will try, is to have a power station that is little more than a bunch of solar panels and batteries and a fueling station for my rovers. (I will probably have a small generator on the rover for emergencies.)

Anyway, let me know if you want pictures.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

So, I made a new Kerbal video. Any good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBfYs25-Y50

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

It's a nice one! I like the plot and the sync between image and sound.
Watching the parachutes becomes a bit repetitive, but I understand if you want it for dramatic effect.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

I see what you mean. I could probably edit out the first two parachutes by dialling back the time acceleration on those sections a bit. I wonder if youtube will allow me to upload an updated video and keep the same URL.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

The scene with the 3 kerbals on the Mun felt poorly edited, but otherwise, great video with great syncs! My suggestion is to keep going further; the vid has this sense of 'We're figuring this out and doing more and more'. So... What's next?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:53 am UTC

Not sure I can fit that into the length of the music, but I might have an idea. I take your point about the 3 kerbals scene - I'm very much looking forward to 3D mouse support so I can make those camera motions smooth.

Yep, I'm definitely going to make an updated version at some point. Thanks for the comments.

Updated it, based on your feedback. Hopefully this is an improvement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKj1PmBlFk8

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:27 am UTC

So, my semester is done, and so I finally installed the copy of Kerbal I've been sitting on for ~4 months.

Not sure I like how the science system is implemented; it feels silly to be exploring Kerbin to unlock parts. But I suppose the difficulty I'm having doing things like landing on mountains suggests I could use the practice.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Heh, Sly, that video is awesomepants.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

0.23 is out. Time to play with easy SSTOs.

Return to “Gaming”