Kerbal Space Program

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

It not infinite. There's a lot of ore in them, but I actually tapped this asteroid dry.

I'm curious to see what happens if you link two asteroids with a klaw, one tapped dry and one full, and try and mine the empty one.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:46 am UTC

Wow, I finally found out why my seemingly stable rockets flip over. As soon as I cut the speed on my rockets, it almost flies itself to space. That does make me sad since I love SRBs but they are the main reason I'm flipping my rockets.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:05 am UTC

Limit your thrust on your SRBs so you are about 1.5 TWR on the pad. That or more fins.
Edit: to elaborate, if you are flipping at any speed your rocket is aerodynamically unstable. Your choices are keeping the forces low enough that your control can compensate (lower twr) or making it stable by putting more drag below the centre of mass (fins). But 1.5 on the pad is good for both limiting aero torque as well as aero drag for efficient ascents.

Completely unrelated, I started a normal career this week. Holy crap is it imbalanced. All upgrades completed before visiting Minmus just doing world first contracts, first minmus trip unlocked half of the last tier and still have all of the landed Mun science to do.

I really love this game, and I love that squad is good with communication, but damn do they suck at making a compelling career mode. (Also, thanks for rushing 1.0 so you can release on a platform I don't care about while ignoring game breaking bugs... How you can have a "stable release" that crashes without user intervention every single flight....)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:Limit your thrust on your SRBs so you are about 1.5 TWR on the pad. That or more fins.
Edit: to elaborate, if you are flipping at any speed your rocket is aerodynamically unstable. Your choices are keeping the forces low enough that your control can compensate (lower twr) or making it stable by putting more drag below the centre of mass (fins). But 1.5 on the pad is good for both limiting aero torque as well as aero drag for efficient ascents.

Completely unrelated, I started a normal career this week. Holy crap is it imbalanced. All upgrades completed before visiting Minmus just doing world first contracts, first minmus trip unlocked half of the last tier and still have all of the landed Mun science to do.

I really love this game, and I love that squad is good with communication, but damn do they suck at making a compelling career mode. (Also, thanks for rushing 1.0 so you can release on a platform I don't care about while ignoring game breaking bugs... How you can have a "stable release" that crashes without user intervention every single flight....)

I don't think limiting thrust on my SRBs is the most efficient answer, I should really just switch over to liquid rocket engines so I can throttle at the maximum controllable speed. As for SRB, what's more efficient, limiting thrust or just delaying activating the next stage until I slow down enough(so the next stage of SRBs don't flip me over).

Look, some of the rocketry is harder for the newbies. Have you tried hard mode? Or twerking the custom options to make it harder?

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

Limiting thrust is almost certainly better than going full thrust and then delaying. Also 1.5 on the pad is a good aim even without stability concern. Your TWR increases as you burn fuel and as you get into thinner atmosphere, and you don't want to be above 2 in the lowest part, as you will start losing more speed to drag than you gain vs gravity.

Really though, it's probably best to make a stable rocket that won't flip at any speed. Do this by a combination of a higher centre of mass (if you have radial attachments, moving them higher is usually good, just don't move any engines above the centre of mass) and more drag at the bottom (eg fins).

Also a neat trick I just learned from Scott Manley (but only applies to liquid fuel), if your rocket becomes unstable during flight as you burn fuel, and you are using more than one tank on that stage, you can manually pump fuel into the topmost tank to keep it stable.

On the other topic, I'm not complaining about the difficulty of the tasks, I'm complaining about the imbalance of rewards. I normally play on hard mode and with part tests and science from X turned off, kerbin science multiplier for landed and splashed set to 0, all experiments global in atmosphere, no science from contracts, and still find it imbalanced. The game entirely relies on the rocketry being hard, which it is, and they've done a very good job there. Where it fails is creating a compelling progression in career mode.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:15 pm UTC

Thanks, I'll adjust the thrust limiter n my second stage.

Have you tried installing mods to give you more content? Like the near future or far mod?

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Completely unrelated, I started a normal career this week. Holy crap is it imbalanced. All upgrades completed before visiting Minmus just doing world first contracts, first minmus trip unlocked half of the last tier and still have all of the landed Mun science to do.

Meanwhile I'm flying to the Mün without fuel pipes or extra flywheels. Actually I don't think I've even discovered ladders yet. Maybe you're just too familiar with what does and doesn't produce science?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:19 pm UTC

He's milking every biome with EVAs and crew reports probably.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:25 pm UTC

My Mun flyby/orbiter uses only the 909 and prerequisite nodes, plus the stack decoupler (I very much feel like the first nodes you unlock should be Engineering 101 and then the 3 rocketries, nothing else is even close) If you can orbit the Mun you can get a ton of science just from EVA reports. Also scientists can reset goo and bay experiments so if you can get by without SAS you can get all of that science without bringing multiple copies.

My general approach (on any difficulty, science numbers lower on higher ones) is get to orbit and get most of the EVA reports in low space (8 science each on normal) and unlock the 909, then send Bob to a polar orbit of the Mun with goo and a mat bay. This nets 15*24 = 360 science just from the low space EVA reports, plus you can get goo and bay for kerbin high atmo/low space/high space/high Mun/low Mun for a total of 294 science, plus the remaining crew and EVA reports for another 60.5 science.

Next is a single Mun landing to advance the World First line of contracts (and complete Explore the Mun if it came up). On Normal I had more than enough funds to unlock R&D level 2, and I grabbed the thermometer and barometer for a total of 392 per biome (on Hard I don't have R&D 2 yet, so no surface samples, bringing that down to 272 * 60%). I land as close to a biome edge as I safely can and get two biomes.

On hard I now have to grind some money for the R&D upgrade via satellite contracts, then on to Minmus where I repeat the above adding in Seismic scans, which nets 590 per biome, 622 if you include EVA flying over. Plus all the stuff in space around Minmus. If you send a refuelling "station" this trip can net 5930 science, which gets you a few nodes of endgame science and everything before it.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:24 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:My general approach[...]

See, that's kind of my point: If you tackle the game with a fanatic single-minded focus on generating as much science as possible as quickly as possible, you probably shouldn't complain too loud about how your approach is generating a lot of science in a short time.

I like that I can just tinker with stuff and putter around the system with whatever wobbly contraptions I come up with, and still make the occasional bit of progress in the tech tree. If the game were balanced around your play style (which I feel is near one of the extremes of a fairly large space of different approaches), I suspect Career would be nothing but frustration for me. Not saying your way of playing is wrong of course, but I'd invite you to consider the possibility that it's not the only correct one.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:29 pm UTC

I think that's valid, but I think the tech ladder also has a problem of not being particularly well balanced or even really geared for 'unlocking parts that let you go further'.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:51 am UTC

Lots of things could be done, like each successive biome gives less science for the same experiment. If you cover lots of biomes you are overflowing with science, and that is corrected, while if you only grab a few along your way you wouldn't be much affected. Or rebalancing to put more science in the contacts, so land on the Mun gives a bunch but biome hopping gives much less.

Also as Iz says, there really isn't any gating in the tech tree. Later nodes make things easier, but just the 4 nodes I mentioned (Engineering 101 and the first three rocketries, or even just the first two) are sufficient to get you anywhere in the solar system (and back except for Eve), not that I'd ever want to build such a ship. Upgrades are too steep (18T to 255T) to make meaningful progression, especially as even on hard you get enough money to upgrade the launchpad on your second flight.

Compare this to maybe an extreme mod, Better Than Starting Manned. In that, there are specific tasks you must do to (with some freedom on order) to unlock the next goal. The first few nodes are insufficient to even get into space and you need to figure out how to land a ship that gets to the upper atmosphere in order to progress. Then you can get to space and you need to do a few things there before you gain the ability to steer in space (no reaction wheels or gimbaled engines, just control surfaces which obviously are useless in a vacuum). After you get RCS, you need to achieve a polar orbit before you get enough mass and battery power to get to Munar orbit. Then you have to crash land on the Mun. Then land and return an unmanned probe. All of these steps are essentially required, the rewards at each stage are balanced to get you to the next task (I've left some things out, but you get the idea). Now I accept that many players would not enjoy such a difficult system, but the idea of "you need incremental goals to progress" is completely absent in stock career mode. The idea of "what you are able to do with this tech is balanced to give an incremental rewards is likewise lacking. Each increment gives an order of magnitude more science, from about 100 for reaching orbit, to 700ish for a Mun shot, to 6000 for Minmus biome hopping, which, incidentally, is doable without modification by a Mun shot capable vessel.

As I've said, the sandbox aspect of the game is incredibly well done. My complaint is with a career mode that appears to have made no effort whatsoever in creating a progression or in having balance. It's telling that the ONLY balancing changes that have occurred in career mode are: Nerfing a strategy by multiple orders of magnitude, fiddling with some money costs, and rearranging some nodes.

Edit: Anywho, 1.0.3 is out. Temperature gauge memory leak supposedly fixed. Still crashing, I'm guessing it's the scene change memory leak, but at least one is gone. Reentry is deadlier. Shallow reentry is ok heat-wise, but steep reentry definitely needs a heat shield. Parachutes are much more fragile now, I made a new test save and sacrificed Val when my chutes broke at 260m/s. LV-N heat production nerfed a bit, but more importantly, there are now radiator parts.

A number of more technical thermo changes as well, which I'll leave out, but are viewable in the change log.

Now off to see if Val can survive reentry from Munar orbit with no heat shield!

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:16 am UTC

So I started yet another career mode (this is my hardcore file that I restart whenever a Kerbal dies), and I took a rescue contract early on, except I didn't read closely and didn't notice it was a two star contract. The stranded Kerbal was just beyond Munar orbit. Undeterred, I strapped some extra DV on my usual early game rescue ship and went out to get him.

Now the first issue is that I don't have the ability to set target. Not an issue for LKO since I can just time my launch and brute force into double click range. But at 12 million meters up? Very frustrating. I know how to crunch the numbers to get a decent encounter, but it was late and I didn't want to grab my calculator so I just winged it.

Second issue is that the orbit is too close to the Mun. Numerous times either he or I get deflected by the Mun and have to restart the process. DV is limited so I'm being very conservative on the differences in our orbits, which ended up costing more fuel as it led to more Mun encounters. If I ever do it again it will be a number crunch + one orbit rendezvous.

Finally after close to 400 days of game time I complete the rendezvous. EVA, jet pack over, cannot board. I forgot to empty the second seat...

Back in my main game I've installed Remote Tech and am quite enjoying it, working on setting up remote bases around other planets to reduce signal delay now that I'm happy with my network everywhere. Thinking of trying TAC Lifesupport as well.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:18 pm UTC

mike-l wrote: LV-N heat production nerfed a bit, but more importantly, there are now radiator parts.
It's a shame heat dissipation isn't something that displays in the VAB.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:59 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:LV-N heat production nerfed a bit, but more importantly, there are now radiator parts.

This is the big one for me. The LV-N was basically unusable in 1.0.2. I slapped a couple of radiators on my standard nuclear tug design and was able to burn at full throttle for ~24 minutes without anything exploding.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

All I need now is for the ore->fuel converter thing to have a xenon option.

Will radiators reduce heat (i.e., radiate it away), or just allow you a greater buffer to build heat up?

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:16 am UTC

Mike, I have the same problem with the rescue mission. Jeb died, so I took the rescue mission to replenish my staff. But the stupid munar orbit is tossing my rescue target way out of orbit. =( I'm tempted to just sit in LKO, and wait for the moon to toss him out. Then go out and rescue him. It's hard to get enough delta v to make 2 rescue attempts and I never tried calculating the orbit for a 1 shot encounter before.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:13 am UTC

Well with patched conics you just match one point in your orbit, wait til you just barely pass it so that the closest encounter mark is for one orbit ahead (or you can do this at any point with manouever nodes as you can get it to look one orbit ahead) then burn either forward or backwards to move the encounter close enough.

Without patched conics it's the same positioning but you need to estimate what percentage of the orbit you're off by and adjust Shark Week (nice mod edit) to match, using Kepler's third law.

Eg let's say he's in a 5milx5mil orbit (it's easiest if it's circular, estimation of how long it takes to move in an eccentric orbit is somewhat harder). Kerbin is 600k in radius so his orbit has a semi major axis of 5.6mil. Say you estimate he is 1/3 of an orbit behind you. You thus need an orbital period that is 4/3 of his to meet up. Kepler's law says that the square of the period is proportional to the cube of the semi major axis. So you want a semi major axis that is cuberoot(16/9) of his, or about 21% bigger. Your peri will be at the same point so you need to raise your apo by 42% of 5.6mil or about 2.35mil. So burn until apo is at 7.35mil. Alternatively you can go for an orbit that is 1/3rd, which needs a semi major axis at 48%. Apo will be 5.6, while you need 2.7, so a peri of -200k. That's impossible here but if the 1/3 were larger it'd be an option, and a good one DV wise if you are mid transfer and still have a LKO peri.

On the next pass you should be pretty close and can brute force, zooming in on map view you can see how he moves relative to you and burn in that direction to stop that motion. (Brief time warp makes the motion apparent). It's tedious, and is less accurate than with patched conics and targeting, so costs more Dv, but workable. Eventually you are close enough to double click and then you can use the usual navball target method.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

Woohoo, I did it. Fun fact, when you are trying to plot an intercept course, and that course is along the same path as a moon intercept, it overrides the target intercept.

So here I am on a 10km intercept for my lost kerbal, trying to narrow it down to 2km distance. And bam! on course for munar intercept, and all mention of my target is lost. After several moments of confusion and panic ends, I take stock. I realize I'm flying blind, and I don't have enough delta- to try again; so I brute force it. I eyeball the intercept by watching the relative motion of the target as it passes my horizon and the relative m/s. The whole time, I'm watching my delta-v ticking down while I'm trying to calculate how much delta-v I need to get home. As I'm burning back and forth until the relative motion stops, but it's not enough. The derelict pod is screaming past me at 200m/s so I cut the power and start mashing the [ ] key and it miraculously clips the 2km radius. I immediately switch over to see my ship speeding away. So I kick it to eva and start burning hard. Now I got 500 units of eva fuel and no instruments. Now I know shit just got real. If you swap ships, it's not a 'simulation' anymore (no more reverts). I desperately chase after the ship while trying to figure out what direction to burn other than just "left". A few minutes of sweating later, I breathe a sigh of relief as I watch the distance stop ticking up and slowly ticking back down.
I safely get back on board with 200 units of eva fuel left.

I burn until my orbit falls to earth, but then I panic as I realize I don't have a heat shield, and there was a recent patch for deadly reentry. I immediately burn back up so I can ease my way in and not blow up. I realize it's not enough, so I keep my engine on, and point it into the path of the fire as an impromptu heat shield. It was a bit touch and go as I wasn't able to keep it perfectly straight and I could see the heat gauges pop up repeatedly, but I touched down safely in the water.
Mission Accomplished.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:20 pm UTC

Sounds hairraisingly exciting.

Incidentally engines make very good heat shields. Failing that I've found a 33k periapsis pretty safe for capsule only returns from the Mun.

My latest mishap involves learning that solar panels are paper thin. Lost my first set in a docking mishap. That's ok, i only need one. Go land, doing some Eva, Bob charitably hovers by the other one and snap. He was barely moving.

Mission aborted, fortunately Bob was able to get home on the remaining power

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:50 am UTC

Yea, I've broken many a part by ramming into it with Jeb too hard.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:16 pm UTC

Today I made a car inspired by the Bloodhound and tried to see how fast I could be going by the end of the runway.

Rules I placed on myself:
1. Start at the start of the runway (where you spawn)
2. Engines have to cut off before you leave the end of the runway
3. Have to slow down and stop without landing in the sea
4. At least one man in a cockpit
5. No damage to vehicle when it comes to rest
6. Maximum speed is then found with F3 - highest speed over land

I've been doing single stage vehicles, mostly because trying to stage fast enough to get any benefit would probably be insanely hard.

Top speed I've managed so far is 570m/s with a maximum G-force of 7.9G. The trick is basically to get the engine with the highest TWR and slap loads of them on, much fun though.

EDIT: 570m/s seems to be the best I can do and still stop before I hit the sea. Adding more chutes just slows me down again. Also did you know drogue chutes can be destroyed if you go fast enough?

EDIT2: Managed to inch it up to 587m/s (maximum G-force 9.1G) with some clever parachute work.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:39 am UTC

1.1 Hypetrain is officially here!!!
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/ind ... mment-1122
I started a brand new game for it, and it's as awesome as everyone says it is. Unity 5 rocks. The only bad part is my dozen mods are all broken, and we're waiting on updates.

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:19 am UTC

I finally did it. After 829 hours IRL and 399 years in game, Jeb has visited and safely returned from every rocky planet and moon in the system. My one caveat is that I turned off atmospheric heating as that wasn't a thing when I started and I didn't want to have to redesign all my spacecraft (especially the one for Eve. Eve is hard enough without it).

Now to try career mode...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:28 pm UTC

Eomund wrote:I finally did it. After 829 hours IRL and 399 years in game, Jeb has visited and safely returned from every rocky planet and moon in the system. My one caveat is that I turned off atmospheric heating as that wasn't a thing when I started and I didn't want to have to redesign all my spacecraft (especially the one for Eve. Eve is hard enough without it).

Now to try career mode...

Congrats. Now try to do it with a single ship. I'm working on building a nuke base mothership and a bunch of throw away landers. In addition, I'm having fun with the easter egg hunt mod, which turns all the easter eggs into missions in career mode. Much more fun than hunting them down on a wiki.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/ind ... 015-09-14/
Spoiler:

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:58 pm UTC

Serious question, how did you manage a return mission from Eve, even without atmospheric heating? I once saw a Scott Manley video where he had to drop this ridiculous massive rocket with a bajillion parts. It had wheels. Wheels, so he could drive it to the top of a mountain and launch where the air was slightly thinner.

I can certainly design rockets capable of launching from Eve and achieving orbit. Putting that rocket on top of a rocket capable of lifting the whole kitten caboodle off the ground and flying it to Eve in the first place, let alone landing it intact... that is beyond me to this day.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:32 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Serious question, how did you manage a return mission from Eve, even without atmospheric heating? I once saw a Scott Manley video where he had to drop this ridiculous massive rocket with a bajillion parts. It had wheels. Wheels, so he could drive it to the top of a mountain and launch where the air was slightly thinner.

I can certainly design rockets capable of launching from Eve and achieving orbit. Putting that rocket on top of a rocket capable of lifting the whole kitten caboodle off the ground and flying it to Eve in the first place, let alone landing it intact... that is beyond me to this day.

tldr:I had a lot of refueling trips and a ton of parachutes.

Well I had a first attempt which miserably failed so I started with the three Kerbolnaughts on Eve. The next step was to design a rocket that can take off from eve. Mine had six stages, no command module (just 3 seats) and even solid boosters. Then I added a bunch of nukes (for the journey to Eve) and more solid boosters (to get into Kerbin orbit).

Getting to Kerbin orbit drained most of the fuel so I sent up a bunch of refueling trips. I then used the nukes to get it to orbit around Eve. This again used most of the fuel so I sent a bunch more fuel. Then I dropped into the atmosphere (don't forget to drop the nukes first) and used a ton of parachutes so I could land full of fuel. Then I just had to have my Kerbolnaughts drive from where they were to the lander.

I then got them into stable orbit around Eve. From there is was (relatively) easy to send a craft to pick them up and take them home.

EDIT: pics

Parachuting in
Spoiler:

Landed on Eve
Spoiler:
ImageImage

In orbit around Eve
Spoiler:

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:05 am UTC

Just got this through Steam! I'm in career mode and I need help about reentry.

How do you do missions like "Send Swivel engine to orbital 250km altitude" and go back for reentry without killing kerbals? My current method for reentry is stripping down to the cockpit and a heat shield. While I've prevented overheating the spacecraft with this setup, I still have problems slowing it down.

I can't open the parachute even at altitudes of 6km when my spacecraft is still going down at 200m/s. And when it does drop to 100m/s I'm already 600m from the ground and whole thing would hit the earth like a ballistic missile. Should I use drogues or something?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:17 pm UTC

What kind of descent angle are you coming in at? Usually, I just adjust my orbit to that periapsis is about 30km to 40km.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:15 am UTC

My descent angle's at around 80°...

Are you supposed to go horizontal for reentry? My current approach in missions is to strap boosters and go in a collision course orbit with a very high apoapsis.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:27 pm UTC

Horizontal, yes. Say you're in a circular orbit, just burn retrograde until your periapsis is inside the atmosphere. If your forward trajectory intersects the ground while you're still in space, you're coming in too steep.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:24 am UTC

Basic image of a gravity turn from Mechanical Jeb. Follow that general guideline of accelerating straight up thru the thick lower atmosphere, and slowly tilting over as you get higher. Alternately, have mechjeb launch for you once you have gotten comfortable launching rockets. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/ind ... -jun-2016/

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:06 pm UTC

Note that that arc depends on the atmo of the body you're leaving. The thicker the atmo, the steeper the turn.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:54 pm UTC

I thought you guys might like this.
I just finished setting up a RemoteTech comms network in the SSRSS (Stock Scale Real Solar System) mod.

Unlike most RemoteTech networks, this one uses eccentric geosynchronous orbits at 45 degrees inclination (similar to real-life tundra orbits).

Why inclined and eccentric?
Well, Cape Canaveral is at 26-ish degrees, which means there is an expensive plane change to get to a geostationary orbit. Also, it isn't that hard to launch directly into a 45 degree inclination. They are eccentric because I wanted to mimic real-life orbits.

Anyway, here are some screenshots of the setup:

Launch:

Orbital Insertion:

Coverage near Cape Canaveral:

Earth looks small from so high up:

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:29 am UTC

1.2 came out recently, and better yet, the mods for 1.2 are slowly rolling in. Mechjeb was just updated, so I'm rocking a career game with a lifesupport mod and the R&D mod. Nothing like farming up enough science to make a spaceplane like it's .90

Major update is the kerbal deep space network and improved wheel control.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:13 pm UTC

Even better, 1.2.1 was released a couple days ago which fixes the infuriating flickering UI bug.

I've been really getting into the USI mods (kolonization, life support). Also recently installed the Near Future mods so I can get big plasma engines with 9500s ISP for ridiculous delta-V spaceships that you leave performing a burn while you go watch a movie.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:00 am UTC

Mutex wrote:Even better, 1.2.1 was released a couple days ago which fixes the infuriating flickering UI bug.

I've been really getting into the USI mods (kolonization, life support). Also recently installed the Near Future mods so I can get big plasma engines with 9500s ISP for ridiculous delta-V spaceships that you leave performing a burn while you go watch a movie.

I gave up on USI for now, it's too much too soon. I instead went with the simpler mod list
KIS/KAS for utility reassembly/disassembly in space. It also lets you repurpose rockets easily.
Extraplanetary launchpads for offplanet building.
Bon Voyage , a new mod that lets your rovers move across planets while your busy. It lets you explore the entire planet via timewarping and electricity.
KR&D for providing upgrades to rockets once you finish the tech tree. It lets you reduce mass of a part, increase fuel tank size, or increase efficiency, all for an exponential increase in science points. It really opens up the late game, and gives you a reason to explore every biome and planet for science.
Scansat for extra contracts.
Contract configurator and anomaly surveyor to provide a storyline to Jool.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:52 pm UTC

Yeah USI has been in a turbulent state of development lately, I think it's sort of settling down now though. Unless you meant it added more complexity to the game than you wanted, which I'd totally understand!

KIS/KAS is basically required, in my opinion. KR&D sounds good, I'll add that to my career save, it's always bugged me that science is pretty much worthless when you complete the tech tree (you can use a strategy to turn all your further science points into money, but the exchange rate is appalling).

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Yeah USI has been in a turbulent state of development lately, I think it's sort of settling down now though. Unless you meant it added more complexity to the game than you wanted, which I'd totally understand!

KIS/KAS is basically required, in my opinion. KR&D sounds good, I'll add that to my career save, it's always bugged me that science is pretty much worthless when you complete the tech tree (you can use a strategy to turn all your further science points into money, but the exchange rate is appalling).

Try bon voyage as well. The utility it gives to rovers is amazing. Now you can play as curiosity or spirit, and have them cross continents.

On a side note, I've finally got the hang of ssto now. I've even made a liquid fuel only version. [img]
http://i.imgur.com/N03IerL.jpg
[/img]

Return to “Gaming”