Dungeon Keeper

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dungeon Keeper

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

I did a search and all I could find was a shortlived Dungeon Keeper 2 thread, but I recently made a discovery about the original game, after stumbling upon my old DKGold disc, and deciding to try (and fail, outside of dosbox) to get to run on my modern PC. I really couldn't keep this to myself so here it is.

The discovery is called KeeperFX (FX for Fan eXpansion) and it is basically a mod for DK1 that does some pretty cool stuff.
For starters it makes it completely playable with modern versions of Windows, or at least, it works like a dream on my Windows 7 computer.
Secondly, it is completely current, with daily experimental patches and relatively frequent full versions,
not only does it bring the old game back to life, it also contains dozens of fan made campaigns, the ability to change resolutions and other useful features.
you can find it here: http://keeper.lubie.org/

Another discovery, although less exciting, is a current fan project to make a homespun version of DK3 using the Unreal Engine, it is slow work by the looks of things, and the 15 strong volunteer team is barely out of the concept stage, but if the project keeps going, it could definately be someting to look out for. you can find them at http://warfortheoverworld.com/ youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/WarForTheOverworld

softchews

Re: Dungeon Keeper

Postby softchews » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

This all looks pretty awesome. I remember DK2 but I never played DK1. May be the time to play it then, or at least hope the old DK2 C.D has not disintegrated or something. That game was amazing! I cannot wait for that expansion thing to come out and shall keep a close eye upon it.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 am UTC

softchews wrote:This all looks pretty awesome. I remember DK2 but I never played DK1. May be the time to play it then, or at least hope the old DK2 C.D has not disintegrated or something. That game was amazing! I cannot wait for that expansion thing to come out and shall keep a close eye upon it.

you're in for a treat, graphics aside DK1 was superior to DK2 in every way. (imho)

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Just in case someone doesn't know, you can get the DOS version of Dungeon Keeper (without Deeper Dungeons) off gog.com for $5.99, with DosBox configured mostly correct (and doesn't look too bad if you remember to use Alt+R to turn on high-resolution), which is how I'm playing it myself at the moment. I tried KeeperFX recently but had issues with it crashing when I tried to possess creatures, not particularly bothersome since DosBox works fine for my on my PC, though it is an issue on my netbook where KeeperFX runs well and DosBox is slow. Also, KeeperFX saves aren't compatible with the vanilla game which is quite annoying.

I've made it up to level 11 so far, using transfer creature bonuses to carry a level 10 hound between levels, there's probably better creatures I could transfer but I like its speed and lava immunity.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:Just in case someone doesn't know, you can get the DOS version of Dungeon Keeper (without Deeper Dungeons) off gog.com for $5.99, with DosBox configured mostly correct (and doesn't look too bad if you remember to use Alt+R to turn on high-resolution), which is how I'm playing it myself at the moment. I tried KeeperFX recently but had issues with it crashing when I tried to possess creatures, not particularly bothersome since DosBox works fine for my on my PC, though it is an issue on my netbook where KeeperFX runs well and DosBox is slow. Also, KeeperFX saves aren't compatible with the vanilla game which is quite annoying.

I've made it up to level 11 so far, using transfer creature bonuses to carry a level 10 hound between levels, there's probably better creatures I could transfer but I like its speed and lava immunity.

you need to alt+R to a lower res before possessing

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:I've made it up to level 11 so far, using transfer creature bonuses to carry a level 10 hound between levels, there's probably better creatures I could transfer but I like its speed and lava immunity.

Vampire for levitation, super research, and immortality
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

jarvisknocker

Postby jarvisknocker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

Dungeon Keeper was the baddest ass game out.

I still remember when Gamespot had an ultra detailed guide for it, explaining what size lairs and hatcheries and libraries attracted what creatures, and the different
sacrifice combinations available - spider + fly = bile demon, bile demon + dark mistress + ?goblin = horned reaper.

i'm so gonna download this now :p

Return to “Gaming”