Final Fantasy Omnithread - All FF, all the time.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Re: Final Fantasy series.... favorites?

Postby pieaholicx » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm sorry, are you trying to legitimize the gunblade? Are you going to imply that their hairstyles increase their ability to run next?

Yes, but no. Their hairstyles don't increase their ability to run, they decrease the mobility of everybody around them (either by making them laugh, or having them stop to give weird looks), so they appear to have an increased ability to run.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm sorry, are you trying to legitimize the gunblade? Are you going to imply that their hairstyles increase their ability to run next?

God no. I'm explaining that they're even more worthless than if they had a pistol in them.

Zyphlin

Postby Zyphlin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

3/6 Was by far my favorite. I loved soooo many of the characters, game play was fantastic and was one of those games I just kept coming back to time and time again, to the point where i was downloading it to put it on my PDA on emulator form years after I first played it on the SNES.

VII would be a close second for me. It really was the correct evolution the series needed to go in, and i am sad they didn't stick with that level of Tech for a bit longer before upping it. Belial was correct in it having just the right mix of Tech and Fantasy to really fit, the new graphics were amazing for its time, and the gameplay was fun. The characters were a bit of a dip from 3/6 but was still good.

Sadly, aside from Tactics, I could not really get heavily into any of the FF's that came after 7. None of them really hooked me. The last square made RPG that hooked me was actually Kingdom Hearts, which sadly i had to stop playing halfway through when summer hit and my roommate took his PS2 with him.
[Insert Catchphrase Here]

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:

God no. I'm explaining that they're even more worthless than if they had a pistol in them.

Pretty much, yeah
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Hica

Postby Hica » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:08 am UTC

I know this is the trendy choice, but mine would have to be FF7.

Incredible story, great characters (aside from Cait Sith), great cutscenes for the time, etc. Also,
Spoiler:
Aries' death
made me cry, so I kind of have to choose this.

Oh, and trying to beat all of the weapons and do all of the other side crap really adds to the game.

Use the spoiler tag for spoilers. It's what it's for.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

Hica wrote:I know this is the trendy choice, but mine would have to be FF7.

Incredible story, great characters (aside from Cait Sith), great cutscenes for the time, etc. Also,
Spoiler:
Aries' death

Oh, and trying to beat all of the weapons and do all of the other side crap really adds to the game.
<Insert growling noises here>
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

<Agrees with aion7, but can't growl. Farts instead>

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

cloud's like the Keanu Reeves of FF stars. "Huh?" "What?" "Woah!" "I'm like, the one, or something." With a head so stuffed with crap that it's leaking a la Johnny Mnemonic.

Also, I clearly win the intertubez for spelling Mnemonic right.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Sorry to break it to you guys, but after FF3 (US) all of the protagonists became whiny emo morons. Ask yourselves, who do you prefer, Cloud/Squall and their obnoxious aloofness, or Tidus and his bubbling Labrador personality?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

I love that when Cloud and Squall never talk, it's because they're annoyingly aloof, but when, say, Gordon Freeman never talks, it's because he's too badass for words....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I love that when Cloud and Squall never talk, it's because they're annoyingly aloof, but when, say, Gordon Freeman never talks, it's because he's too badass for words....

because gordon never says anything at all and when cloud/squall break that silence, they say something ridiculously stupid anyway.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:14 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Sorry to break it to you guys, but after FF3 (US) all of the protagonists became whiny emo morons. Ask yourselves, who do you prefer, Cloud/Squall and their obnoxious aloofness, or Tidus and his bubbling Labrador personality?

I prefer Zidane.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:14 am UTC

Spoiler:
Aries' death

Um. Mr/Mrs Moderator, I would qualify a plot point from a TEN YEAR OLD GAME as no longer a spoiler... I'd mention it over PM but it was an anonymous edit. If my post here becomes moot feel free to delete it.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Chrono never spoke, he was badass. AND he had spikey hair.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Hica

Postby Hica » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:
Spoiler:
Aries' death

Um. Mr/Mrs Moderator, I would qualify a plot point from a TEN YEAR OLD GAME as no longer a spoiler... I'd mention it over PM but it was an anonymous edit. If my post here becomes moot feel free to delete it.

Sorry about that. I assumed this being an FF thread that everyone would have played through FF7 at this point. I shouldn't be assuming though. :oops:

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Belial wrote:I love that when Cloud and Squall never talk, it's because they're annoyingly aloof, but when, say, Gordon Freeman never talks, it's because he's too badass for words....
Actually, he has Tourette's, but trained himself not to talk at all.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:37 am UTC

Hica wrote:
Nougatrocity wrote:
Spoiler:
Aries' death

Sorry about that. I assumed this being an FF thread that everyone would have played through FF7 at this point. I shouldn't be assuming though. :oops:

I have never played FF7. My boyfriend is making my sit and play it. I'm only three hours in. But while I'm playing, he cooks for me, so it balances out. We have a nice gender defying relationship.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:35 am UTC

Good to see all the FF fans here... no matter which ones you love and hate.

Played VII first, loved the hell out of it. It was the first time I'd played through a game with a cohesive, well drawn out plot.
Played through VIII, and while it was jarring and awkward at first with the PS's woefully inadequate attempt at realism, it ended up being very enjoyable, and I even liked the way the story turned out.
Played IX, and liked it a lot. Still a good story but it didn't captivate me quite as much as VII.
I just could never quite get into X. Too linear. EDIT: and those people are just wearing too many belts.
And I hate to say it but I never played all the way through VI. I recently tried to play it on my PS3 but it is inexplicably locking up every time I turn around, so one of these days I'm gonna have to dust off one of my older consoles and see if I have the time to go through that whole game, see what all the fuss is about. ;)

So far, VII is my favorite with VIII a close second.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Koriina

Postby Koriina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

I'm going to say X-2, and tell you that I'm serious.

Now, try to figure out why.

(Please? I need to know.)
"It won't fit there."

. . .

"Not legally."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

You like playing dressup? No shame in that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Koriina

Postby Koriina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Hmm . . . no, I hated the dressup. I was never much for that, even as a child. All my Barbies and dinosaur toys were naked.
"It won't fit there."

. . .

"Not legally."

LauraSakura

Postby LauraSakura » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

I didn't really dislike Tidus like a lot of people seem to. I really did like him as a character... perhaps because of his naiveness. I thought he was a breath of fresh air compared to Cloud and Squall. (I must admit though... Squall was a very realistic character, but his attitude reminds me too much of some people in my own life that I couldn't stand). I think the problem in FFX was the voice acting... there were points where they were overacting, and others where they seemed so flat at emotional parts. The voices added a lot to the game at the parts when it was done right, but in some points It felt like it really took something away. I really liked the storyline though. After playing through it in English, I think I would be able to complete it in Japanese and know well enough what is going on. However, I don't think I can import it and play it without either getting a Japanese PS2, or putting some kind of mod-chip in mine to 'de-regionize' it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Honestly, I felt the game was improved by turning off the voice active (or down the volume) and just reading the dialog.
Spoiler:
The will that Tidus displayed during the end game, once he's realized his father is Sin and he is but a dream... it was a nice twist on the typical "I've realized my potential and will enact my revenge!" end that these games often hold. Although Kefka was still a better villian.

I like FFx as well, but most because it was the prettiest thing I had played up until that point. The combat mechanic was well played, and the sphere grid was a neat tool. I was a bit shocked and appalled to have finished the main storyline in under 30 hrs (this is an FF game!), only to find about 50 hours worth of fairly stupid grinding and rote minigames awaited me for the 'side-quests'.

<--Feels sad my brother won't experience/grow up in the same worlds I did (as he expresses all most no interest in RPGs...)

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Sorry to break it to you guys, but after FF3 (US) all of the protagonists became whiny emo morons. Ask yourselves, who do you prefer, Cloud/Squall and their obnoxious aloofness, or Tidus and his bubbling Labrador personality?

I prefer Zidane.

Yes, he had a better personality.
And a tail.
And a cool dual dagger on a stick.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

Koriina wrote:I'm going to say X-2, and tell you that I'm serious.

Now, try to figure out why.

(Please? I need to know.)

1) Fast-paced ATB over whatever that silly turn-swapping garbage FFX used was called.
2) In-fight Job changing.
3) Job system.
4) Inept bad guys.
5) Fun mission-based game structure.
6) Booty shorts.
7) Not full of angst.

Stief

Postby Stief » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Anyone heard about Dissida: Final Fantasy?

It looks kinda cool...especially the line-up of characters you can play as :D
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Stief wrote:Anyone heard about Dissida: Final Fantasy?

It looks kinda cool...especially the line-up of characters you can play as :D

It doesn't look like anything other than a couple screenshots that show very little. It says there will be 10 PCs plus villain counterparts. Let's guess! Chances are, they'll stop at FFX since FFXI is an MMO and FFXII is part of the whole Ivalice thing.

FF (Confirmed): Warrior of Light, Garland
FFII (Confirmed): Firion, Emperor Palamecia
FFIII: Uhhhh...I never got very far.
FFIV: Cecil (Paladin), Golbez
FFV: Buttz, No idea never finished
FFVI: Locke, Kefka
FFVII: Cloud, Sephiroth (really can they do anyone else?)
FFVIII: (Confirmed): Squall, Ultimecia
FFIX (Confirmed): Zidane, Kuja
FFX: Tidus, ummmmmm....Jecht?

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

why the hell would you want to play Locke from FF6?

a) FF6 has no main character
b) Terra is the main character

Those are the only two answers I've ever accepted for 6...

Oh, and FFIII's kid has some name although they're all just job driven identical anyway. They don't use it much and you can replace it with whatever you want I think. The villain would be hard to do though. It's more a force of nature than a person if I remember right.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

Because I don't like Terra.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

mosc wrote:a) FF6 has no main character

I've actually heard

c) Locke is the main character
d) Celes is the main character
e) Terra is the main character in the world of balance, but Celes becomes the main character in the wold of ruin.

I lean mostly towards a.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:Tactics advance was actually pretty easy, and the story's okay. My suggestion if you want a good challenge, don't use an Assassin. I had one Assassin who only had like 3 moves, but one of them was instant KO, and the other was instant petrify. Needless to say, it's really OP when you realize that they have a good movement range as well.

Hahaha this is my team
Marche = Dual Wielding Fighter/Paladin with Nagnarok or Excalibur2 etc (can't remember)
Assassin w/ Concentration (1 Hit KO and Other status effects are 70% from front, 90% from back) <--- I had multiple of these.
Ezel spamming Azoth (Sleep on full map).

Each character (except Ezel) could solo whole missions... it was kinda sad.

Actually once your Archer has Blackout (like 2nd weapon) and Concentration (can't remember how early you can get that) then every single mission is easy because you can just blind every character and win.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

In FFT (not FFTA), Calculators became incredibly broken if you took the time to build them. Kill the entire map with one spell using no MP? Yeah...

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:In FFT (not FFTA), Calculators became incredibly broken if you took the time to build them. Kill the entire map with one spell using no MP? Yeah...

On subsequent plays of FFT (I think I played it ten times... Maybe even more?), I always had a wizard with math skills. It was just pure awesome, more powerful than any other character you could get (including Orlandu). Very useful to build up characters or to suspend the end of battles. I would go to the deep dungeon and start casting stat ailments on everyone. Eventually, I'd have several enemies who had practically every negative stat effect on them.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I have only finished VII, VIII, and X. I currently own V-IX, but have never even seen the title screen of V or VI. My favorite, of the ones I have finished, is VIII but I have always enjoyed angst ridden things. I am getting the impression that I should play VI though...
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:
mosc wrote:a) FF6 has no main character

I've actually heard

c) Locke is the main character
d) Celes is the main character
e) Terra is the main character in the world of balance, but Celes becomes the main character in the wold of ruin.

I lean mostly towards a.

well, I don't see how you could logically argue those 3. Locke in particular is a minor character. 11 of the 14 characters are required at one point or another, Locke isn't even the highest on that list. His plotline after vector basically consists of his scarf being on a bird and some optional content that many people never even see. Edgar can be directly compared to locke in terms of required content especially because it's spread out throughout the game. He's just never forced to be the only one in your party but then again Sabin gets that honor as much as locke and I've never heard anybody call HIM the main character.

Celes gets to be the POV character for one decent chunk and all of the sudden she's the only one? It's not even a particularly large chunk. It's just WoR start till you get Edgar. After that, you can not make an argument that either are more central and it just widens further from there. Terra, until she flies off for the first time is directly controlled. Also, she is one of four required characters at the end of the game. No, you don't need her to GET to the end, but she will appear when you beat the end if you didn't get her which is not true for any of the other 10 that aren't required to get to the final dungeon (like locke).

Saying Terra and then Celes is leaving out too much of the game. It'd be Terra and then a three way between Terra/Sabin/Locke and then Locke and then Locke/Celes and then Celes and then... you get the idea. Basically there are no main characters at that point or they're all main characters.

Terra, or none (all is the same as none). Take your pick

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

I'm only going to chime in because of a request. But first, I have to say I've only played FFVII and VIII. I stopped playing games for a bit (deployments tend to wreak havok on your gaming time), and when I started up again, I was playing other games. I have great fond memories of FFVII, and was excited to learn of the release of Advent Children. That sparked my interest in playing VII again. I played a lot, enough to get my characters to level 70+. I finally reached the end of Disk 2, and was ready to keep leveling my guys up, and search for all the other materia/chocobos/sidequests/sidegames/etc. I popped in my disk 3 to have an error message. I haven't been able to find a replacement for less than $55 US. So yea... here's the request.. Anyone care to hook a brother up?
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

Given the nature of copyright law in the US (where the servers and people involved in the ownership of forums.xkcd.com reside) I cannot allow that sort of assistance to go on in this thread.

What occurs in your private messaging is, however, not the responsibility of xkcd.com, the administration, or anyone else.

You get the idea.

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

Crap. Any suggestions on fixing a non-working PSI disk? That's within the parameters, right? The disk doesn't appear to be scratched, btw.
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

ekzrated wrote:
nsmjohn wrote:Side note (off topic): Does anyone know the etymology of the phrase "pipe dream"?
Since I smoke out of pipes, I'm going to assume it refers to the mental images influenced by substances inhaled through said pipe? But I'm probably wrong.

That is what immediately comes to my mind too but I haven't been able to verify it.

edit: Woohoo! I was looking in the language forum and someone posted a link to an etymology dictionary. So, without further ado: A pipe dream (1896) is the sort of improbably fantasy one has while smoking opium.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

I picked up Crisis Core: FF7 and it's...surprisingly good. Like, really good. Calling it an RPG is a bit of a stretch, more like an action game with RPG elements, but it's a lot of fun.

Return to “Gaming”