Warhammer 40k: Space Marine

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

IcedT

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine

Postby IcedT » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

I was surprised to see we don't have at thread about it, the closest thing we've got is the Warhammer tabletop thread. Anywho:
spacemarine.com wrote:In Warhammer® 40,000® Space Marine® you are Captain Titus, a Space Marine of the Ultramarines chapter and a seasoned veteran of countless battles.

A millions-strong Ork horde has invaded an Imperial Forge World, one of the planet-sized factories where the war machines for humanity’s never ending battle for survival are created. Losing this planet is not an option, but a darker and far more evil threat is lurking large in the shadows of this world.

With an Imperial liberation fleet en-route, the Ultramarines are sent in to hold key locations until reinforcements arrive. Captain Titus and a squad of Ultramarine veterans use bolter and chainsword to take the fight to the enemies of mankind .

I just played the demo (even if on a woefully inadequate computer) and I was pretty impressed. The action has the right hefty, brutal feel to it and the fact that you regenerate health through executions instead of from hiding in cover rewards you for really wading into shit. The jump pack was well-used and I'm interested in seeing how they work it in to multiplayer.

Anybody else been keeping up with this game?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Warhammer 40k: Space Marine

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

Looks pretty cool, kind of Advent Rising-ish.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

TotalBiscuit loves it, so I'm completely sold ont his game. Waqtched him play the demo for half an hour last night. It looks like a fun version of GoW.

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

Yeah, that's all I could think of when I was playing the demo, that it was a WH40k version of God of War.

It was very fun, but I just don't have the time for it at the moment. Maybe after a price drop it will be worth it to pick it up and let it sit in my Steam list until I have the time, but for now it's going to be a pass.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

I'm very interested in this game..

I also have been looking for good deals on blood bowl.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Downloaded and played the demo earlier today... I am terribly excited for this game. The multiplayer customization looks like it will be quite fun too.
The only minor problem I have is it not being available on steam in the UK, but I'm sure I'll find a way to get my hands on it anyway.

But ugh blood bowl.. almost without a doubt one of the most frustrating gaming experiences of my life.

NotlimTheGreat

Postby NotlimTheGreat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

I'm going to have to decide between this and getting the new Deus Ex. I'm already throwing down 35 for the new Serious Sam too, so i might actually hold off on both!

I've had like four people comment to me on totalhalibut loving it, which usually only means amazing things as our interest in videogames have been very parallel i've noticed. Must resist watching that and/or demo before i get done with my work! Not that being on the forums is getting my work done either.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:19 am UTC

I played the demo over at a friend's house, and oh my god it's amazing. They got the feel of the universe right, and they make the Space Marines actually feel like the badass killing machines they should be. Even in the tabletop game, Space Marines just don't feel as unstoppable as the fluff describes them to be. This game just gets the feel perfect. I have never felt more powerful in a video game then I have as Captain Titus, wading into a horde of orks and just slaughtering. The only criticism I could find with the demo is that it didn't explain a couple things that would've been helpful to know - how to throw grenades (Q), and how the detonate the Vengeance Launcher's grenades (reload/R), for example. A must-buy for me when it comes out, without a doubt.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

You want Space Marines in the Movies. I know it was in the US White Dwarf #300, dunno if it was in the UK White Dwarf.

Example - the Basic Space Marine.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

100 Points per model
                      WS      BS    S     T      W     I      A     Ld    Sv
Space Marine          5       5     6     6      2     5      3     9     3+

Keep in mind - the Bolter is also upgraded. 36" Range, Strength 6, AP 4, Assault 4/Rending

In short - Nasty as hell. An "Army" of 10 or so of these guys are 1500 points.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

NotlimTheGreat

Postby NotlimTheGreat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Well, i guess I have to buy this. Just from watching totalhalibuts WTF on it I was drooling. It also helped that the guy was gleefully making references to the universe. With every game released I get closer and closer to wanting to read some of the novels and playing the tabletop game.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You want Space Marines in the Movies. I know it was in the US White Dwarf #300, dunno if it was in the UK White Dwarf.

Example - the Basic Space Marine.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

100 Points per model
                      WS      BS    S     T      W     I      A     Ld    Sv
Space Marine          5       5     6     6      2     5      3     9     3+

Keep in mind - the Bolter is also upgraded. 36" Range, Strength 6, AP 4, Assault 4/Rending

In short - Nasty as hell. An "Army" of 10 or so of these guys are 1500 points.
Yeah, I know of these guys. The gaming club I'm part of had a table at GD Baltimore last year that was an "army" of these guys against a massive horde of orks and some snipers, to re-create the last stand of the Celestial Lions. Sadly, I wasn't involved in the playtesting and didn't get a chance to play it at the GD itself, so I still haven't personally experienced the Movie-Marines list.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

I think this is an actual scan of the WD it was in (I think, I never saw it). I seem to remember it being bastard hard to find last time I looked, I think GW have decided it being out there isn't so nice. Highlights for me include they're all fleet, they all have a 3++ save, and lascannons just drill through everything.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

..of course, just to carry the diversion on farther... if all the races went by the fluff, things like Dark Eldar would all get 3++ dodge saves, all their weapons would ignore saves and wound on a +2, Tau's basic rifle would be Assault 4 - reroll misses, all Tyranids would ignore armor, and Orks would have the Orkapult, which launches anything smaller than a Gargant into battle.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote: and Orks would have the Orkapult, which launches anything smaller than a Gargant into battle.

I haven't played 40K in a while, but this wouldn't surprise me.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that's in the 5th edition Codex for regular gameplay.

Alright, Back to the vidja game...

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:..of course, just to carry the diversion on farther... if all the races went by the fluff, things like Dark Eldar would all get 3++ dodge saves, all their weapons would ignore saves and wound on a +2, Tau's basic rifle would be Assault 4 - reroll misses, all Tyranids would ignore armor, and Orks would have the Orkapult, which launches anything smaller than a Gargant into battle.

As much as I wish I knew more about the tabletop game, that there is a shitload of jargon.

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Postby Cobramaster » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:47 am UTC

Go Forth and buy this and you will have a smile that lasts through almost all of the campaign, unless you are heartless then it will last the entire time. They Captured the Grim Darkness well and then covered it with blood and ork guts. The story was actually pretty decent if a bit predictable if you have read enough fluff, but then again this is not always a bad thing.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:..of course, just to carry the diversion on farther... if all the races went by the fluff, things like Dark Eldar would all get 3++ dodge saves, all their weapons would ignore saves and wound on a +2, Tau's basic rifle would be Assault 4 - reroll misses, all Tyranids would ignore armor, and Orks would have the Orkapult, which launches anything smaller than a Gargant into battle.

All of this EXCEPT when it applies to shooting at Space Marines. Also, if the fluff is to be believed, my beloved Imperial Guard's lasgunsflashlights are actually effective weapons.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

Someone told me the gimmick of combat gets old quick; are you guys finding the game carries well?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

Garm wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:..of course, just to carry the diversion on farther... if all the races went by the fluff, things like Dark Eldar would all get 3++ dodge saves, all their weapons would ignore saves and wound on a +2, Tau's basic rifle would be Assault 4 - reroll misses, all Tyranids would ignore armor, and Orks would have the Orkapult, which launches anything smaller than a Gargant into battle.

All of this EXCEPT when it applies to shooting at Space Marines. Also, if the fluff is to be believed, my beloved Imperial Guard's lasgunsflashlights are actually effective weapons.

Nah, see.. all Space Marines have a +2 Invulnerable save, except the Terminators. If you shoot at a Terminator, you have to roll your own armor save and, if failed, you die.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If you shoot at a Terminator, you have to roll your own armor save and, if failed, you die.

I knew reverse-engineering that Mirror Shield was a good idea.

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Postby Cobramaster » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:38 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Someone told me the gimmick of combat gets old quick; are you guys finding the game carries well?

The game does carry well because they will force you to change your combat approach often and sometimes drastically by varying the enemy composition in an area. And then Chaos comes and you have to do long range, mid range and melee simultaneously or you end up as a mostly blue shell of armor.the Two Major boss fights are entirely different and require fast thinking, and all of the minor boss fights definitely require a strategy other than hit them with sword/axe/hammer most of the time.

Oh and the multiplayer is pretty fun unless you are getting wiped by a melta-gun team then you just crawl in a corner and wait to die.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

Bought it Friday, finished campaign mode Sunday night. Easy mode regrettably. I started on Normal but kept repeatedly dying early-ish in the storyline, a battle event where you first encounter an Ork Nob requiring combo-mashing closing with a stun and then the 'struggle to the death' combat, which it seems I completely glossed over and didn't work out what I was doing wrong and kept dying.
- The jump pack segments are awesome.
- The level of gore is the right side of ridiculous. Fifteen minutes in and you upgrade from combat knife (the reverse grip stance I rather liked) to chainsword, then the first round of ork carnage afterwards is a sudden step up in awesome.
- I don't think it gets that repetitive. The scenery changes often enough, good landscaping and different battle setpieces, with talky-talky walky-walky plot exposition inbetween.
- Great moments when you come across gun turrets. You can keep them set up and have infinite ammo, or rip 'em off and carry them along the next portion of the level with you. Epic.
- Running on a three-year old high-level laptop, it was generally very efficient on low-ish graphics settings. There were many times where I did feel I would've had more flawless combat if the response time of the machine was higher, but as far as modern games go, it is very hardware optimised.
- You just great a real sense of scale, power and force with all the weapons, seeing heads detonate from a bolt round and everything.

Plot spoilers
Spoiler:
- Really saw that Inquistor's betrayal coming from a mile off. Oh look that psychic scourge firing mechanism ring has eight conduits, I wonder what that signifies...
- Blood Ravens. Eugh. But their marines on the bridge segment served as excellent tanks for bloodletters/chaos marines while I sniped with lascannon. And fun referencing over to DOW2.
- Sidonus. Nooooo, I liked the deadpan snarker.
- Yay sequel hook.
- Night Lords I think...
- For 'experimental weapon', that Vengeance Launcher is remarkably prevalent. I never found myself using it. Just had too much setup involved and needed significant battlefield control to be useful.
- Riding a titan. Nuff said.
- Nemeroth's boss fight was a terrible anticlimax. The psyker and chaos champion trash mobs made me break a little bit of a sweat, but I expected something bigger for the final showdown. Not that I didn't avoid damage in the plummet riding a daemon prince, but the Warboss Grimskull fight earlier on was a harder encounter. But I suppose quicktime event made for a change.
- Samus vs. Meta Ridley from Metroid Prime 3 ;)
- Grimskull's fight involved a lot of deaths. A lot. Initial thoughts that it was a melee showdown. Plenty of failed dodges from charge attacks, bombing, kamikaze squiggoths. Wasn't aware that the ammo crates were infinite. That sure helped when I revisited after glancing at some forums.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:36 pm UTC

What's the total length here? I don't want to shell out $50 for <10 hours of gameplay with little reason to play through it again (see batman: Archam Asylum). I'll way till it's $20 on steam someday in the future if it's short.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

I finished this over the weekend. It was pretty good and I would recommend people giving it a try. Total length... I think I beat it on normal under...30. It's not that long a campaign. I did not give multiplayer a try or go for all the servo skulls though.

Everything behind spoilers for safety reasons:
Spoiler:
Ultimately, the game does get repetitive in parts. There are moments brought in to spice things up near the later parts of the game but I would have preferred they were extended a bit. For example, the moment where the other Space Marine chapters and the Liberation Fleet show up is pretty awesome. However you only fight with them for a short while. I suppose this is to show how awesome Space Marines are against the enemy but in reality, it was a fun segment cut short through plot.

With weapons, you tend to find guns that you enjoy and stick with them. There are certain sections where certain weapons are optimal but I never had trouble on normal that was so significant that I needed to mix things up loadout wise to pass (the exception being Chaos Psykers who became much easier when I realized they go down to a charged Plasma gun hit). And of course having the hammer makes melee really easy in some parts. I think out of tradition, I tried to keep with the power chainsword and bolter whenever possible.

The campaign itself was the right length. If it was longer I'm fairly certain I would have gotten bored unless it had increased gameplay mechanic. I think my biggest regret though was the poor Imperial Guard who truly looked like they were using flashlight guns that did crap damage. What was worse was while the IG weapons didn't seem to do any damage, the Chaos IG weapons definitely did. Seemed unfair to the Imperial Guard, the poor buggers. :(

There was something...wrong about Lieutenant Mira. The facial structure just seemed...off although she was a good character. Could have used some...other generic Imperial Guard characters. Overall, I'd like to see more of the Imperial Guard (but then, I say that in general so that's not much).
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

Enjoyed the single player campaign quite a bit. I like I say it's Gears of War, but actually fun -_^ no annoying cover based shooting, much more fluid and exciting.

I agree with what's been said about the game making you switch up your combat tactics as you play, which I think is fantastic. I liked the frequent switches between softening up an incoming horde and picking off their artillary to charging into melee to mop up the survivors.

The Thunder Hammer was a lot of fun but I wasn't a fan of how it restricted you to your bolter and pistol. Realistically there's nothing you NEED the other two weapons for but it you lose the more diverse and fun guns to get the best and most fun melee weapon. I suppose it's an interesting choice to make, but I'd liked to have seen, say, a Power Fist option somewhere between the Power Axe and the Thunder Hammer for everyone who wasn't quite ready to give up their lascannon and meltagun (or the Storm Bolter, which was the most fun I've had with a clearly inferior weapon lately)

Spoilered things:
Spoiler:
Man what a downer ending, though I suppose it's pretty thematically appropreate for a WH40k game. Hero saves the day then the inquisitors come in and cock everything up, cuz apparently that's what the inquisition does.

also, I am dissapoint re: final boss fight. I was all geared up for some epic showdown and we just get a bullshit quicktime event fight? Extremely lame!

"Cruel and unusual? Perhaps. But hey, we're The Inquisition. And we know where you live."
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Cobramaster

Postby Cobramaster » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:20 am UTC

Well supposedly the Exterminatus expansion(aka the rest of the game) is going to be available some time today.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

Already available for PC and PS3, but unfortunately I have it on Xbox and Microsoft has been taking their sweet time about putting it up on the marketplace.

EDIT: Just realized I hadn't posted here since I got the game- I'm now at level 33 in Multiplayer and really having a good time of it. But I do hate Master-Crafted/Favor of the Armory with a passion.

Return to “Gaming”