We should play either or both of these freeware FPSes

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

semicolon

We should play either or both of these freeware FPSes

Postby semicolon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:20 pm UTC

Anybody up for Sauerbraten or AssaultCube? They're both freeware, open source FPSes.

Sauerbraten
Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2) is a free multiplayer/singleplayer first person shooter, built as a major redesign of the Cube FPS. Much like the original Cube, the aim of this game is not necessarily to produce the most features & eyecandy possible, but rather to allow map/geometry editing to be done dynamically in-game, to create fun gameplay and an elegant engine.
It's not anything special; at least, it doesn't do anything new or particularly interesting. It's just really, really, really, really fast. Faster than Quake 3 (and very similar in gameplay). It basically tries to be as minimalistic as possible in order to stay as fast as possible: there's only one player model, and only five or six weapons. And it's ugly as hell, relatively speaking. I mostly just play Instagib in it. Out of the two, I think this one is more fun. It also has a snazzy multiplayer edit mode, which is just as capable as the not-multiplayer editing mode. You can have nine people in a server all editing the same map, with few problems.

http://assault.cubers.net/
AssaultCube, formerly ActionCube, is a free first-person-shooter based on the game Cube. Set in a realistic looking environment, as far as that´s possible with this engine, while gameplay stays fast and arcade. This game is all about team oriented multiplayer fun.
AssaultCube is, lacking a better comparison, like a much faster (and less bullshit) verison of CounterStrike. Also slighty less/more (depending on which version of CS) ugly. It's fun though. It's a lot slower than Sauerbraten, but it has its own appeal. Don't expect to see the appeal for the first five minutes or so, though. When I first played it, I was like, "why the fuck would anybody play this?" but I've played it every day since then. Mostly only good for CTF, though the deathmatch is fun too. Never play the Instagib, however. The instagib is fucking terrible, especially considering how good Sauerbraten's (and Cube's) is.

And please don't judge either game by the screenshots. They're a lot more fun than they look, I promise. And, even if you don't think you'll enjoy them, they're at least worth a try: Sauerbraten is less than 200mb and AssaultCube is only 19mb. Plus they're both free. And crossplatform.

So, yeah. Anybody interested?

If anybody who downloads it wants somebody to play with right that second, feel free to AIM me.
Last edited by semicolon on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

Downloading. I could use a new game.

EDIT: [Sauerbraten]
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:03 am UTC

Used to play ActionCube a little bit but for my windows version everytime I played it and exited out my resolution wouldn't change back and I would have to restart my computer.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:12 am UTC

I am horrible at FPS, but I've just downloaded Sauerbraten.

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:13 am UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:I am horrible at FPS, but I've just downloaded Sauerbraten.

First impressions?
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:14 am UTC

Must install first :)

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:19 am UTC

Of course, of course.
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?

For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:19 am UTC

What horse? There's no horses.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:26 am UTC

It's funny... I've downloaded tons of FPS lately, ranging from America's Army to just now SauerBraten to older, classic games, even though my mom doesn't like me playing them...

rockintom99

Postby rockintom99 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

Ah, Sauerbraten is awesome. I've never gotten multiplayer editing to work, though :cry:
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

Hockeypuck

Postby Hockeypuck » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:42 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:It's funny... I've downloaded tons of FPS lately, ranging from America's Army to just now SauerBraten to older, classic games, even though my mom doesn't like me playing them...

Just tell her that killing virtual people is far better than killing real people.

Or smoking weed.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

Sauerbraten is interesting... I'm going to look on the wiki in order to find out more about the game, but if there is a simple system for uploading skins and such for new weapons/avatars it could get much bigger... The editing on the fly is fun, as you can easily make a stairway out of flying boxes if you needed to. I still need to get used to the game but with a small team of interested people (artists, map designers) you could make a decent FPS. The most interesting to me would be the multiplayer map edit, as if it would be possible to edit the map while others are playing. That alone would have a huge draw factor, a la nomic in forums game? Imagine a team where the goal was to capture the opponents flag.... with one player as editor. The team can create barricades on the fly, drop ammo if needed, etc... It might not be possible, but as a concept it would be fun :)

Jach

Postby Jach » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:50 pm UTC

If someone buys me a new graphics card I'll play with them. =P My old piece of crap can't handle anything 3D.
I love reading quotes.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:50 am UTC

Neither is my kind of FPS. I'm just very picky. I definitely dislike twitch FPS games like Sauerbraten, and in AssaultCube, no crouch and no aiming down the sights kinda pissed me off. Also, Recoil = you moving back doesn't seem like very accurate physics to me. It's not all that user friendly; They seem to have written their docs and menus with programmers in mind, not casual FPS players.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

I downloaded both a while back.
For some reason, Sauerbraten was really slow-running and the frame rate was bad on my computer. Probably because of the graphics, so I got rid of it.
Actioncube I like a lot. It runs perfectly and I prefer fast-paced FPS as opposed to America's Army type stuff...

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:For some reason, Sauerbraten was really slow-running and the frame rate was bad on my computer. Probably because of the graphics, so I got rid of it.

Go to the options menu and turn off all the extra shit.

I run at like 15fps unless I turn it down.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

I tried, but got fed up with the frame rate and the monster that was slowly killing me...

the human perl script

Postby the human perl script » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

We should definitely be playing something. There are other open source FPSes to consider, though. Nexuiz and Urban Terror are two that I've enjoyed.

EDIT: Anybody on Sauerbraten? What server?

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

Urban Terror are two that I've enjoyed.

Holy shit! Did that used to be a UT mod? I played that. Downloading.

And I'm up for Sauer or AC almost anytime I'm online, which, being summer and all, is almost all the time. Anybody's welcome to IM me and ask for a game.

Return to “Gaming”