Kingdom of Loathing

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thecommabandit

Re: Kingdom of Loathing

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:38 pm UTC

No idea if you've noticed or not, but they're doing a "Twelve Days of Christmas" motif. The Sinister Dodecahedron opened on the 12th (12 days before Christmas - not the twelve days of Christmas the song is actually about but close enough). So far, I've fought Four Metal Hawks, Three Swiss Hens, Two Mecha Turtles and a Death-Ray in a Pear Tree. Go on, sing it. It fits.

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:58 am UTC

One should note that not all the items are a 100% drop. And, if you are a moxie class, you can pickpocket them and loose several times to get infinite numbers of the item.

Today's is... Five Golden Rings!

thedufer

Re:

Postby thedufer » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Delbin wrote:How many meat per turn do you get from selling clovers?

In my full farming gear with free buffs I get about 1000 meat a turn from the castle in the sky. About 800 from direct meat and extra from whatever else happens to drop.

Before I ascended I was NPZR stasis farming for much more than that. But I'm told stasis farming may soon be nerfed because it lags the servers. Unfortunately, I do not recall how much I was making per adventure with this.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:12 am UTC

I thought they already did away with stasis farming. In any case, I spent a lot of time at The Icy Peak on my last round, trying to build up reserves and possibly save up some cash for an NPZR. I'm still about 200,000 meat short.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:23 am UTC

Why not just build a NPZR?

All you need is a clockwork sphere and a bit of pine tar, a boner dagon chest, and a toaster (and some other easily acquired items)
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

Clumpy

My Kingdom of Loathing Goodbye

Postby Clumpy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

Last week I finally logged into my KoL account after more than three years. I used to be quite a religious player and had more than my share of rare items. I had long since decided that I was done, but hadn't yet realized that the presence of a Mr. Accessory meant that my account had never been deleted.

So I went in the chat at 3 a.m - only two people were there - and I offered a quarter million meat (the currency of the game) and a Mr. Accessory to the first person to ask for it. "That would be me", somebody named Eileen or something said after a moment, and I made the transaction. I offered my other Mr. Accessory to the next person, as well as the rest of my $$$, then chatted with them for a good twenty minutes. The goodbye was fairly low-key and simple, but it reminded me of the social component of the game, the aspect that had kept me playing. Bye, KoL.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: My Kingdom of Loathing Goodbye

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

I gave up on KoL ages ago. It was fun for a bit, but it got boring after a while.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

snails

Postby snails » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

I was snarles2 on this game. I just to spend hours trying to get "high scores" (fastest ascension.)

thedufer

Postby thedufer » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:Why not just build a NPZR?

All you need is a clockwork sphere and a bit of pine tar, a boner dagon chest, and a toaster (and some other easily acquired items)

Zombie pineal glands are 'spensive. 'Cause they don;t drop anymore. And the price rises by the day.

Is anyone else in the clan active? Seems quiet in there.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

Eh, scraping together 624k shouldn't be THAT hard, honestly.

In fact, I'd say that that's one of the lower end, lower cost out of circulation items to get....

hermaj

Re: My Kingdom of Loathing Goodbye

Postby hermaj » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:Last week I finally logged into my KoL account after more than three years. I used to be quite a religious player and had more than my share of rare items. I had long since decided that I was done, but hadn't yet realized that the presence of a Mr. Accessory meant that my account had never been deleted.

So I went in the chat at 3 a.m - only two people were there - and I offered a quarter million meat (the currency of the game) and a Mr. Accessory to the first person to ask for it. "That would be me", somebody named Eileen or something said after a moment, and I made the transaction. I offered my other Mr. Accessory to the next person, as well as the rest of my $$$, then chatted with them for a good twenty minutes. The goodbye was fairly low-key and simple, but it reminded me of the social component of the game, the aspect that had kept me playing. Bye, KoL.

Grah, there is a certain prelate here who would have adored your Mr A. :P

I forgot all about this thread until just now when I looked in the xkcd clan and found out that our clan leader is inactive, so no super-expensive Hobopolis for us. But yes, I am still active, insofar as I can be stuck in the outskirts of the Knob trying to get the Gourdcore trophy. Only 79 more firecrackers to go! :P

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:54 am UTC

I'm fairly active. I play as I watch the Daily Show and Colbert.
All I'm doing is the bounty hunter thing, and then working on the Extinctionist trophy.
And I'm still no where near level 30.
I don't do quick ascensions. It's been more than a year and a half on this one, I think.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:03 am UTC

Wow, I didn't know there was a KoL thread here.

Anyways, I used to be a really active player before NS13, and I still log onto my main frequently, but only to run a turn-burning script in KoLmafia.

I don't really pay that much attention to the game anymore (though I've had a recent spike in activity due to Hobopolis), but I might still have a bit of a reputation in the /games channel, since I still do my occasional giveaway there once in a blue moon. And by "once in a blue moon", I mean every Crimbo, special occasions, and whenever I'm both in a good mood and have nothing to do.
Last edited by Poochy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

I used to be a pretty active player, and pretty active in my clan, but I pretty much quit after NS13 was implemented due to having to keep track of all the goddamn level restrictions on food in addition to everything else.

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:07 am UTC

I used to be very addicted to KoL - and I still log in these days to my main (Kat_blah) though my multi is likely long gone. I am slowly lazily saving for a Mr. A so I can earn a no-delete flag.

On my sixth day I got a rare. Some horrid person saw I was wearing it and offered to pay me 70k for it. That was a heck of a lot of meat for a newbie so I checked the item up on KoLWiki and confirmed this guy was trying to take advantage of my new-ness.

Most of my KoL experiences have been great - lovely people.
"Love is an ugly business my friend - yet we live for it" Se04Ep02 Boston Legal

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

random_kitty wrote:On my sixth day I got a rare. Some horrid person saw I was wearing it and offered to pay me 70k for it. That was a heck of a lot of meat for a newbie so I checked the item up on KoLWiki and confirmed this guy was trying to take advantage of my new-ness.
Rare, semi-rare, or ultra-rare? Because congrats if you got an ultra-rare! On your sixth day, too. I have been playing for almost 2 years now and I don't have one.

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:55 am UTC

It was a semi-rare I think. The Spooky Hockey mask dropped in a dream.

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

Oh, that's not too bad then. I joined around the same time as you and I think it was worth ~100k back then. Ultra-rares are much rarer and worth tens of millions.

I don't think you can wear semi-rares, actually. All of them are consumables.

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

The Spooky Hockey Mask is was wearable 0 not sure if it still is.

I do not play much these days - and I have noticed all my Mall and trader tactics are of no use any more. I guess the amount of meat increases over time much quicker than the amount of items.

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

It still is. Semi-rares are a different concept. Every person has an invisible counter. When that counter reaches zero, the player can get a semi-rare adventure if it is adventuring in an area that has one them. You can see what your counter is by eating 2 fortune cookies. The number that appears twice is your counter. Alternatively, you can just eat one and check at all 3 numbers given.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:19 am UTC

I can't be deleted, I think, because of my NPZR.

Some kind person GAVE me a Zombie Pineal Gland to use!!!!!
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Marleen

Postby Marleen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

Ah, KoL.

I played it for some two years I think. I used to tell people how this game could never ever become boring. Then one morning I woke up and I was terribly bored with it.

I loved it while it lasted, though, and I'm of course keeping my account so I can get back on it every few months to check out the new stuff.

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Wombat wrote:I can't be deleted, I think, because of my NPZR.

I doubt that an NPZR or Zombie Pineal Gland triggers the no-delete flag. As far as I know, only Mr. A's or Mr. Store items trigger that.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

Coulda sworn I posted in this thread before... anyway, I used to play KOL, practically sold my soul for a Doppelshifter, started a clan for our school, and then quit because I couldn't keep up with all the new stuff added. Yeah, that's pretty much it. :)

Oh, and my friend started playing it again recently after a long hiatus, and I still log on and spend a few adventures every few months.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:06 am UTC

Shpadoinkle wrote:
Wombat wrote:I can't be deleted, I think, because of my NPZR.

I doubt that an NPZR or Zombie Pineal Gland triggers the no-delete flag. As far as I know, only Mr. A's or Mr. Store items trigger that.

It doesn't, I just found out 'Borg's four year old account was deleted (my fault, really, after he gave up I logged into it periodically to keep it alive and forgot to set it to vacation. It is a real shame :() and he had a NPZR. If a Mr A flags you as no delete, I'm just going to pay to get one, I've been thinking about it for long enough.

Oh, and those who applied for the clan, I accepted you all in.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Man, I was in this game four years ago. I was player number 30,000 or something around there. I went away for too long and my account disappeared.

/em weeps.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

Wow...I just started playing this game, and it's great! Some mysterious older-user gave me a bunch of stuff (for some reason).
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

I log in every so often. The game's fun. (and funny!)
I'll give you some junk if you want ramses.
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Hulyen

Postby Hulyen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

I play off and on. And collect familiars when I remember to....I need to go hunting for newer ones I'm missing again.

I'm Hulyen (#163546) and Robina (darned if I can be bothered to look up the number of that multi...just use it to mess around on occasionally).

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:Wow...I just started playing this game, and it's great! Some mysterious older-user gave me a bunch of stuff (for some reason).

The KoL commnity is one of the most generous I've ever come accross. Why this is, I don't know, but I don't complain.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

Well, I'm fairly altruistic in RPGWO, but I am also pretty well-off.

Plus, I think it's part of the style of KoL. It's fairly light-hearted, and that puts people in a good mood.

Compare that with, say, Torn City, where even the admin staff is crooked, and you'll see what I mean.

Leah

Postby Leah » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

I've played this on/off for years now, just really got back into it. I love the amount of cultural references, the same reason I love xkcd so much really. I go under Boom_Shine mainly. I seem to have too much meat to know what to do with lately though so I'm going to do a HC run next.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

I ascended once, then quit when I realized I would have to do essentially the same thing all over again. This was about a year ago, though... should I get back into it?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

Yes. A lot has changed in a year!

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

:? I haven't been on for a pretty long time... and I can't find my account, it doesn't remember any of my email addresses :cry: I did join the xkcd clan though, can anyone check to see if there's any varioation of arcticfox on there? I may make a new account.

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the tag saying inactive accounts are deleted after 60 days. It's been nearly a year since I last signed on.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

That's why it's worthwhile to get a Mr. A, or a Mr. Store Item. :D

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

Ok... I have a new account and I am applying to the xkcd guild. Yay!

Col. Mustard

Postby Col. Mustard » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

I didn't even think about looking for an xkcd clan. I have applied under the name ColonelMustard.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:16 am UTC

Sweet, I will add you in.

THESE PEOPLE:

AKAnotu
Biliboy
jonthegreat
SilentSigil
Stkdvnd
tehmizzy
thedufer

You all need to send me either a PM or a kmail and let me know who you are on the fora, so that I can change your title and also give you full Clan privileges. I'll send all of these people a kmail as well, in case they're xkcders but not/no longer fora-going xkcders, so heads up on that so you know I'm not nagging.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

Gah, I got re-addicted. Must get filthy lucre...
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Return to “Gaming”