Kingdom of Loathing

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mot

Re: Kingdom of Loathing

Postby Mot » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

I just joined Clan of 14 Days. Yay! :]
Robo captain, do you not realize that by destroying the human race because of their destructive tendencies, we too have become like, well...it's ironic. (mmm) Cause we...
Silence! Destroy him!
DOO! (boo!) Dooboodoo!

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

I was a seal clubber, subsequently a turtle tamer by the name of morondogboy, but I haven't played in ages. It's a pretty awesome way to waste time, and is massively original. I even joined a clan at one point but I've been away for so long... The problem is, it consumes vast amounts of time, which these days is time better spent on jobs.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:30 am UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:The problem is, it consumes vast amounts of time, which these days is time better spent on jobs.

Really? After I've ascended in Hardcore, I've been spending no more than 30 minutes a day.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

KoLMafia really helps streamline the time spent, too.

recyclable

Postby recyclable » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:15 am UTC

Hey, I just started KoL, currently lvl 6 Disco Bandit... and was debating if I should stay in the clan I'm in right now or if I should change...
I'm currently in Senams Provocable Country Club but I don't really know if its any good or not, it has some nice furnishing - but you really need loads of Karma to get to Hobopolis and the Slim tube.

I saw that a couple of you guys where in 14 Day and because I was thinking about maybe changing there, I wanted to ask how much Karma you need for Hobopolis and the Slime Tube and if they have a comfy sofa.

Thanks
-Rec

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

recyclable wrote:Hey, I just started KoL, currently lvl 6 Disco Bandit... and was debating if I should stay in the clan I'm in right now or if I should change...
I'm currently in Senams Provocable Country Club but I don't really know if its any good or not, it has some nice furnishing - but you really need loads of Karma to get to Hobopolis and the Slim tube.

I saw that a couple of you guys where in 14 Day and because I was thinking about maybe changing there, I wanted to ask how much Karma you need for Hobopolis and the Slime Tube and if they have a comfy sofa.

Thanks
-Rec

They do indeed have a comfy sofa, a meat tree, ball pit, Mr. Claw Machine and the rest of the clan rumpus items are for adventure gaining.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

sgchr

Postby sgchr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

Also played a while ago. Although highly entertaining and original, it did consumed a lot of my time and I had to stop playing it. I highly recommend it to people with a lot of free time on their hands though. ;)
Games I play now & having fun. DON'T CLICK! You will become addicted, like me.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

sgchr wrote:Also played a while ago. Although highly entertaining and original, it did consumed a lot of my time and I had to stop playing it. I highly recommend it to people with a lot of free time on their hands though. ;)

As it has been mentioned before, KOLMafia reduces the daily time you spend on Loathing to minimum.

gaga654

Postby gaga654 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:45 am UTC

So I know this thread has been dead for a while, but as a (semi)devout player of KoL for a year as of today (username gaga654), I'd like to resurrect it. I generally play pretty casually, although I try to ascend fairly quickly. My favorites are Boris and now Zombies since neither require any permed skills or old IotM familiars to be optimal. So... what do y'all think of the new seasonal path?

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

I think Zombie Slayer is fantastic. It does a great job of blending KoL's traditional goofy sense of humor (for example, the zombie hunters) with something of a genuine sense of horror and desolation, as you walk through a world where everything is ruined, boarded up, or abandoned. Then at the end it gets even better as it also ties in with classical KoL mythology and the weird time mechanics of the game and ascension.

I kinda wish they had done something to remark on the fact that Huggler Memorial Colosseum is still up and running, though. Maybe there could be some remarks about the barbed wire and fortifications that now surround the arena, and how a circular arena where tough adventurers congregate to fight each other happens to also be a good place to stage and impromptu stand against the zombie hoards, explaining its survival. (Although why they'd let you in when you're a zombie might be tricky. Maybe there could be something about how they shackle you and stage zombie fights, either with zombies fighting each other or with crazy human contestants with some form of vaccination fighting against zombies.)

Also, while the "civilian" NPCs are essentially all gone, there are probably a few too many "human monsters" like bums in the Sleazy Back Alley, white knights in Whitey's Grove, etc. The Mysterious Island of Mystery is quarantined, so that's okay, but in other unprotected areas, it seems like only shopkeepers and such were affected, while humanoid adversaries like confused goth music students are all fine. It's not the end of the world (except in the sense that it's supposed to be), but it's a bit of an oversight.

Return to “Gaming”