Malifaux - Tabletop skirmish

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Intrigued

Malifaux - Tabletop skirmish

Postby Intrigued » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

So, Malifaux. Tabletop game at a skirmish level by Wyrd Games. The subject is wild west victorian steam punk horror. I started it up a while ago, put it down, and am picking it back up with some friends, getting some painting done and whatnot. I'm working on getting a 35ss dreamer. Guessing I might get no responses here as this forum seems to lean towards video games but since I'd searched for a related topic a couple times I might as well start it. So... anyone play?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Malifaux - Tabletop skirmish

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

I had not heard of this game before today, and had to google the website, and I must say SHUTUPANDTAKEMYMONEY

Looks neat.

How's the play work?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:57 pm UTC

I haven't played a ton but it's a pretty fun game. It's very skirmishy, so it's just a handful of individual models.

You use decks of cards (can use a plain old regular deck of cards but it's way easier if you get one of theirs) instead of rolling dice, and you get a hand of cards each turn that you can "cheat" with. You activate one model at a time, then play goes to the opponent, back and forth until you're all out of models. Other than that, it's pretty standard wargame fare playwise.

Another big difference is that it's all balanced around scenarios and objectives, so losing your master (main guy of your crew) may suck, but it's definitely not the end all of the game. You may even end up losing your army and winning (especially since there are objectives like "choose a guy on your team and try to get the enemy's master to kill him".

It's pretty cheap to get into, 25ss (soulstones) and 35ss are common levels of play. 25ss is pretty much a box set plus another guy and 35ss is maybe tack on another one or two guys on top of that. As always, high model count armies (gremlins or a lot of the ressurectionists who summon guys) will end up costing a little more to get into.

Oh, and it's supposed to be balanced by "faction" rather than "army". It's a weird thing to get used to. You choose your faction early on but you don't pick your master or crew until right before the game. I may be mixing it up, but it's roughly like this, pick a faction, set up a board, terrain, scenarios and objectives and such. Then, based on the enemy's faction, the board setup and what you're trying to do (claim objectives, fight to the death, etc.) you can pick the master and crew that you want to bring to the table. If you're extremely worried about end game balance, some of the masters are all around stronger (e.g. colette is probably the best arcanist choice in most situations) whereas another master may be situational but shine in that situation (rasputina if the terrain favors her). If your group isn't overly competitive though it shouldn't matter much and everyone should have a shot. I also always agree with the mentality to go with the models you like first and foremost.

Purky

Postby Purky » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 am UTC

I've been playing this for about 9 months now and it is really great fun. The minis are made of win (mostly, some are a major pain to assemble such as the Guild Peacekeeper...) The fluff is great too and it is a pretty fast game to pick up and play.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

Ah yeah I like the minis a lot. There's a handful I think are kind of weak, but that's true of any game. The rules are definitely pretty quick and easy to get into though each model generally has a few rules of their own and some models have a ton. In those cases I've heard the suggestion to just pick a couple per game and focus on how to use them. The dreamer in particular has tons of rules and you kind of need to start learning them all to make sense of the army but honestly if you have some tt experience I don't think any of it is going to be too bad.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

Oh, and if you're into that sort of thing, I've got a blog going with a couple of friends (www.livetocrush.net). We've been mostly warmachine/hordes for a while but that started slowing down and now we're getting into malifaux. We started up a "Tale of Painters" so it's 4 of us painting up a 35ss army over the next 4 months, posting pictures monthly with updates. We're trying to get more people from outside the site to comment on what they'd like to see and stuff but there's NFI or anything, it's just for fun. Not sure if that ends up against this forum's rules.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:09 am UTC

It's a pretty great game. I've had Justice's crew basically since the game was released (one of the guys who used to be in my gaming club was a beta tester), but it's not something I really get a chance to play anymore, as nobody around me plays it anymore. Game's got some problems, to be sure, but I enjoy it. More than anything these days, though, I like painting the models.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Return to “Gaming”