I will never admit...

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Fail

I will never admit...

Postby Fail » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:11 am UTC

That I play World of Warcraft.

Never, ever, ever.

How many in XKCDia play this gigantic time waster?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:20 am UTC

I used to, but stopped when my guild disbanded.

Memo

Postby Memo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:23 am UTC

Pay for a game? What do you take me for, a millionare?

jfarquhar

Postby jfarquhar » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:44 am UTC

I used to play it, for about 18 months, but I finally woke up to myself when every bit of free time I got, I thought "I should be leveling up using this time". I never did anything else but play in my free time, so I quit, cold turkey.

That being said... I am hanging out for a certain MMO later this year, namely Age of Conan. Not sure how that's gunna work...

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:45 am UTC

I think stuff like that is evil, but I'm prolly' just jealous, people are like "It's just as good as real life! So many possibilities!" - why don't you go out and improve your own current life lovechild?
=]

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:03 am UTC

Sorry I don't do drugs.

Warcrack ftl.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:16 am UTC

Hell. No. :|

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:28 am UTC

I'm a nerd, but I'm not that much of a nerd.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Fail

Postby Fail » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:31 am UTC

My spirit. It's broken.

I only play about 45 minutes a day, most days, and it's entirely recreational when I'm alone. (AKA Real people come before pixels.)

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:38 am UTC

Fail wrote:My spirit. It's broken.

I only play about 45 minutes a day, most days, and it's entirely recreational when I'm alone. (AKA Real people come before pixels.)

Good for you! I guess my newfound like for KoL is about the same.
=]

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:52 am UTC

I did for about a month. Then I quit for a month, then played for a month and since then I haven't played at all in three months. Just one relapse in seven months
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:08 pm UTC

I decided that I didn't have the self-control to buy WoWcrack, but fortunately I had the self-control not to.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:17 pm UTC

I'm not rich enough to pay 50 bucks for a game, then pay a monthly subscription to make it useful. If I want online play, I'll subscribe to Xbox Live...that way I can play all my stuff online, if I so please.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:56 pm UTC

Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Fail

Postby Fail » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:My favorite 4 (of 15):

Angellwraith
Spiritwylf
Angellblade
Angellspell

Very nice. :D

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

I used to play, now I play FFXI to keep me off WoW. It forces me to hate MMOs.

I quit because I didn't like the direction the game was going.

Back in the good ole days "raiding" meant you got some of your friends and attacked a town. Didn't mean you were going to attack a main city either.

Back in the good ole days your gear was considered awesome when you had all blues.

Back in the good ole days when people PVPd for necessity. Not for some damn honor or reward, but because if you didn't gank the guy, he would gank you.

Game got too PVE oriented for me. I quit right when I realized that the game was going to be all about raiding. From what other people have told me about MMOs I figured I would be completely addicted if I did start raiding. I was correct.

Because of the game being about raids, I don't think you can be that much of a bastard anymore. People stay in cities half the time and spend the other half in instances. Want PVP? Go to a battlefield (Which I do admit was fun, but from what I heard blizzard butchered this as well by forcing everyone in a raid group. Makes it impossible to organize your forces)! No need going out and hunting or worry about out running an opponent if he's brought 2 of his friends.

I remember one incident back about 2 or 3 months after the game was released. This guild famous for ganking decided to host a PVP event in Gurubashi Arena with enforced fair fights. The event took weeks to organize and for security they had 3 level 60s (remember, this was in the early stages of the game.) Me and a friend of mine (who was a high level shaman) got bored of the 4v4 fights when there were 50-100+ on both sides of the arena watching. Cheesy wanted BIG BATTLE!

So during a level 30 or something match, my friend provided a distraction by going into the arena and killing everyone. While he caught the guards' attention, I went into action. By the border of the Horde side were these 3 AC guys. As a rouge, I ambushed one of them, got about 5 to attack me and ran to the Horde said shouting "The Alliance are attacking!" The Alliance guys who I pissed off killed me but by the time I got back, the Horde was starting to rush the alliance boundary already blocking the one entrance/exit at Gurubashi.

The alliance were completely unorganized after the attack. It took them a while to realize what was happening as they were still being distracted by my friend. When I came back, the Horde already had an advantage in numbers (we were outnumbered in the beginning.) Some tried to shout in 1337 5|*34|< to the horde to stop. (This was back in the day when 1337 5|*34|< wasn't filtered.) Most of the horde couldn't read it or just didn't care. We executed these pacifists.
Some tried to run away, knowing they were no match for the Horde. The cowards found out that they had to run past atleast 30 enemies to get away. None got out successfully.
A few of these pussies actually tried to fight. What they found is that they were grossly outnumbered and killed pretty quickly.

After all the alliance were killed, the arena was filled with uncountable alliance corpses and I failed to see any horde bodies. As the bastards that PVPers were that day, we camped all of them. The lag was tremendous and people were starting to lag out near the end. After we killed the alliance about 3 times, people started to get away.

The next day, there was such a big argument about the "Gurubashi Massacre" that the Horde had sympathizers for the Alliance. My guild leader was one of these and when he found out that I was responsible for the slaughter, he kicked me out of the guild. Fortunately a few days later I joined a guild which would become one of the best guilds on the server. Most of the members of the guild I got kicked out of left shortly after.

You just don't get events like that these days on WoW. . Instead of having fun, they spend 5 hours a day for a glitter of hope that they will get a piece of some silly purple gear. I've heard people describe the game as a 2nd job and yet the still play it. I quite honestly can't understand this addicting. Go make your own fun you damn WoW junkies!

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

scowdich wrote:I'm not rich enough to pay 50 bucks for a game, then pay a monthly subscription to make it useful. If I want online play, I'll subscribe to Xbox Live...that way I can play all my stuff online, if I so please.

You don't have to pay for the game, just the 15$/month (or whatever) subscription.

The month for which I played WoW was the only time I made honor roll. Oddly unprecedented enhanced productivity aside, that game is a bad idea. The thing is addictive, and un-good.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

misskwiz

Postby misskwiz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

I played on and off since it came out. And I only got to level 54 or so. Being a hard-core MMO veteran, WoW wasn't anything new at all for me and I was way passed my MMO addiction phase. It was pretty boring actually. Except for the Auction House and Auctioneer. Oh god how that was fun. I want to play Auction House again *cries*

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

Girlfriend > WoW
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

I used to play WoW, but I've stopped playing for a while due to lack of interest. I don't think it's that addicting at all, and it's not that I don't like playing because I do, I think the game is fun...but it's not hard for me to just stop playing.

You just have to learn how to manage your time correctly. And take breaks now and then, if you start to lose interest. Cancel your account, and if you feel like playing again, then you can just renew it.

But I guess if you have no self-control, then that's too much to ask.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

I've never actually seen WoW in real life, I've only heard about it... all I know is I didn't talk to my buddy Gniewosz in 2005 because of it.

MordorIsBad

Postby MordorIsBad » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

Just to add to the anecdotal value of this thread: I used to play Wow.
Stopped when I realized it was taking over my life and it actually wasn't that much fun anymore. My brother still plays it though.

Verator

Postby Verator » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

Ah, WoW. I quit when my guild started collapsing around 2 months ago, and it was taking over my life. I figured I wasn't realyl enjoying it anymore, and 100 days of playtime was enough for one lifetime.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

500 hours logged on a 60 Priest who I made the day the game came out, and a bit on other characters. It's been almost a year since I stopped.

The endgame content was weak after a bit, but 400 of those 500 hours were great fun.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:57 pm UTC

Used to top DPS 20% over everyone...

Don't play anymore now...

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... =Francesca
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

i used to date a girl who' play the game for days straight till she literally ended up in the hospital for mal-nutrition. And this didn't happen more than once.

She literally defined diehard gamer for WoW. I was utterly amazed. But she also played CS and DDR. *shrugs*

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:59 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:Girlfriend > WoW

That's why my BF dragged me, protesting all the way, to buy me a copy of WoW of my own.

Currently I haven't played in a month because I've been too tired every night. I wanted to play yesterday, but my computer screwed up and by the time I got it working again, I wasn't interested anymore.
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

I have very seriously considered a policy of not playing a MMO unless my boyfriend plays it as well, but that strikes me as a dubiously useful policy until I get a boyfriend. (The extra time will help in looking for one, but if I don't have someone with a demand on my time, why not give it to a game?)

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
I have very seriously considered a policy of not playing a MMO unless my boyfriend plays it as well, but that strikes me as a dubiously useful policy until I get a boyfriend. (The extra time will help in looking for one, but if I don't have someone with a demand on my time, why not give it to a game?)

Your boyfriend will be a very lucky man. :P
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:26 am UTC

I was in the closed beta. I didn't consider it worth paying for.

Nuclear Spoon

Postby Nuclear Spoon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:35 am UTC

I avoid it like the plague.
Besides, why would I pay for a game, let alone pay for it MONTHLY? I don't have MONEY.

None that I wish to spend on Warcack.
www.gaming4charity.org

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:53 am UTC

Nuclear Spoon wrote:Besides, why would I pay for a game, let alone pay for it MONTHLY?

This arguement's been covered extensively around teh internets (I last did this on the IWC forums). But it basically boils down to this:

For the cost of a monthly subscription (less than AUS$20 a month), I can have WoW on demand 24-7 for that entire month, for approximately the cost of a full-price movie ticket that provides me with a maximum of 3 hours entertainment.

I don't think that's a bad deal.
Linguistic Anarchist

Memo

Postby Memo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:45 am UTC

Until you consider that you can play most games for free if you don't really care about their source.

I don't play enough to consider paying for a game, and less if it requires monthly payment.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:48 am UTC

Considering that at my peak times I was playing WoW daily and clocking up 16+ hour days on weekends, it was pretty good value if you worked it out at an hourly rate.
Linguistic Anarchist

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:28 am UTC

It's just another utility bill. What I don't get is the people who will buy cable TV and then gripe about paying for a game monthly. *

*Well, actually, I do get it, because generally it's people whose parents pay for their cable.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:04 am UTC

I used to play FFXI, then moved on to WoW for a few reasons. I need a place to tell my story of FFXI, and I find this to be an adequate area. If you don't feel the need to read this, skip along to the next post. If not, here you go.

Memoirs of Darkwizard of Fenrir:

1) Introduction
Jan. 10, 2004. 14th Birthday. I recall reading about FFXI in a magazine back before it was in Japanese Beta, when it was announced at an E3 (God knows if I can remember which year that was). I had also recently read a small review of it in one of my gaming magazines as a U.S. release, and thought that I was quite interested in this game. I convinced my father to let me buy this game on one of my last days on a weekend with him (I see him once every two weeks, and so whichever day was the Sunday of the week of Jan. 10th was when I got the game.) This meant that I was unable to play it until I got back to his house again. I patiently wait and I start installing. Ok, no problems, only about 30 minutes to install all 5 CDs. I update the "POL Viewer" and move on to all of the account stuff. No hassles. Time for the FFXI Update.
6 hours?! I cancel it and decide to set up an account for Tetra Master, which I got pretty darn good at. I talk with my dad and he lets me leave the computer on all night (the first time in MANY, MANY where I leave the computer on overnight) to update. This is a Saturday Night.
Sunday morning I wake up, and I'm excited to start playing. I create my character (with some debate. Galka Warrior or Tarutaru Black Mage? My dad decides that I should play the latter). Darkwizard is born.
<<Welcome to Fenrir!>> Awesome! Wait... how do I move? I'm on a laptop, and the only way I saw of moving was with a number pad, which I didn't have. I didn't know how to access the menu to change to the awsd moving format, so I mess around with a mouse and the other buttons of the keyboard. Ten minutes later I find that by clicking the mouse and pushing forward, you character can move! Awesome. Now, it's time to start my travels to level 75. Little did I know that the journey would be long and arduous, but along the way there would be so many friends that I'd get to know so well.

2) Stepping foot in " VanaD' "
I fumble around with my huge manual and find a way to search for people and privately communicate with them. I search for the highest level person in the area (25. I love that this game is only two months old for the US.) and try to talk to them.
"Please use the tab key." What? Why? I had yet to learn that I was talking with Japanese people who could not understand a word that I was saying. Eventually I find a higher-level English-speaking person who told me all about the experience points system and how he just would not be able to party with me. And besides, I was so low I should be able to solo mobs. Instead I decided to try and find another willing soul who could help me.

[Oh dear I can't form coherent thoughts this late at night. This memoir is definitely going to be continued. But I want to play FFXI again now. More than ever.]

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:13 am UTC

I don't like MMORPGs. They're too boring an repetitive for me. Tried the 10 day tryout for WoW and got bored with it. Tried Kingdom of Loathing for a while but I didn't enjoy it too much, either.

The only MMORPG I played for longer than that was the ancient The Realm by Sierra. Very old 2D online game. And even then, after not too long I only chatted on the role playing channel.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

I played WoW, got my wife into it... but we don't really have the time, so both of our accounts have lapsed.

One problem is that she works a different schedule than I, so for a while she would basically be WoW'd out for the day around the time I was ready to play. That, and my RL friends leaving the server to go to a different one meant... I really had no inclination to play anymore.

I think I'm done with it. I can't really see going back.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

played until burning crusade caused my guild to disband. i only played once a week with people i worked with though so it was never as bad a life sucking force as most people seem to find. on the down side i didnt see all the content
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:My favorite 4 (of 15):

Angellwraith
Spiritwylf
Angellblade
Angellspell

You're on Feathermoon too, eh?
Charese
Manielle

So yeah, I play too. RL takes priority of course, but I play a bit.
The problem now is that in order to do much better than I am now, I'd have to go and commit a sizeable chunk of time to it for raiding, etc. I'm not sure I want to have that kind of thing for a game...
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Return to “Gaming”