Mass Effect 3 (Seriously, Use Spoilers People!)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: Mass Effect 3 (Seriously, Use Spoilers People!)

Postby Hawknc » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:48 am UTC

So I finally finished ME3. It's like you can actually see where an EA exec started drawing all over the script with orange, blue and green crayons.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:00 am UTC

Casey Hudson, Mac Walter, and Weeks all chose their favorite colors and started drawing.

Also, Leviathan DLC announced. They of course had to shit on the news by saying it wouldn't change the endings, so it's not like their cheerful addition that it's "more exposition on the Reapers!" makes a difference when the ending is the same despite an added dialogue line with Nebula Child. We learned about an ancient being that nows how to kill a Reaper! (so does Kalros, btw, but nevermind that!) but that doesn't change the outcome of the fight.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:35 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:(so does Kalros, btw, but nevermind that!)

Kalros only killed a small one. Though I wonder where thresher maw instincts picked up how to avoid lasers.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Casey Hudson, Mac Walter, and Weeks all chose their favorite colors and started drawing.
I was not involved in this galactic faux pas in any way, shape or form. (His name is Weekes.)
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

There is a great discussion going on the BSN forums about how to make the Human Nova Vanguard more viable on gold and platinum difficulty levels. The novaguard can be used on those difficulties, however it is accepted that only the very best of the vanguard players should attempt to do so, because less than stellar play renders him/her a liability rather than an asset above silver. And the reason for that is because of certain bugs affecting the squishier vanguard characters (the krogan vanguard is accepted as a gold and platinum capable character for all players).

I've uploaded two videos to youtube highlighting one of the killer bugs of the human vanguard class: Instant loss of shields after a charge and being targeted immediately out of a charge. It happens with all factions. You charge a target and your barrrier is gone before the screen is even done shaking. This effect completely negates any benefits of charge. I was the host, so no lag related glitches here.

http://youtu.be/2DeJefLNRBU?hd=1
http://youtu.be/q2e6_h1ylpk?hd=1
We won't mention falling through the map or charge not working if you are off-host.

An idea of how to make the vanguard into a more viable gold and platinum tier class is to give the human vanguard the Asari Justicar's biotic bubble. With it they get an addition damage reduction and higher damage output due to its warp effect of enemies. It also makes them able to shield the team, since a common complaint of vanguards by other players is that they are not team-oriented and useless on hacks and disable rounds, which the biotic bubble could change. The biotic bubble also synergizes with their close quarters combat style, since in order to get a biotic explosion out of it, they would need to charge in first, drop the bubble, and then use another charge or biotic ability to set off a biotic explosion. This gives them more damage and more survivability at the same time while making better use of the bubble as an offensive device.

Feonir

Postby Feonir » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:20 am UTC

Here is every vanguard ever with bubble on platinum.

1) Charge in
2) Bubble Down
3) With arms wide from the bubble animation do I get dropped by (Insert anything with a gun or melee ability here)
4) Watch my bubble evaporate as my teammates murder their way to me to help.

Now if they redesigned charge so instead of AoE and damage nonsense it dropped a field on impact which then set up a nova combo it wouldnt change the fundamental ability of the smashguard and let him actually live through the fight a hair longer and actually be useful to a plat run.

Of course me and the boys found 3 GI's with the Pirahna and a stasis Asari for phantoms was more or less making Platinum feel like silver. We were finishing games in 17-18 mins on glacier. Replace GI with occasional N7 soldier with Typhoon and Pirahna. Same result. Murder.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:35 am UTC

Charge has a 50% damage reduction for 4 seconds, and the bubble can have up to 40% DR. As far as I know, damage reductions are additive (though you actually need something like 140% DR to be invulnerable) so the vanguard would have up to a 90% damage reduction after dropping the bubble. That would help tremendously.

Feonir

Postby Feonir » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 am UTC

Which in a game that those powers actually worked the first time you used them would be impressive. But I have yet to see both charge and bubble work as they ought to for an entire game. Asari currently wont throw the bubble up if they are too close to certain enemies. I can't count the times I've ran cocksure up to a prime, hit the bubble key and was rewarded with a plasma cannon facial by my prime buddies.

In a plat match even with Cerb as your opening enemies you get primes at 7ish and bosses throughout. Hells smashguards would be invulnerable if charge actually worked in every location and not just "When it feels like it". Still a bubble guard would rock all kinds of ass when used properly but that tagline can be used for just about every class at current. I think the current underdog for the title of "He can do what!?" is the Paladin.

His shield bop and ice sneese can wipe out entire swaths of bosses when you effectively take away all their armor with the bonk and freeze combo. 90% Armor reduct being what it is with 100% damage resistance (so 140% /pedantry) during the bonk animation.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

Considering they gave the N7 Paladin a skill with a broken evolution tree (Incinerate) that makes it useless, I don't hold out too much hope for the devs to change class skills. I would love if instead of Incinerate my N7 paladin got Reave or Barrier -- he's a sentinel after all and needs a biotic power.

With that said, I've had fair success with the Slayer on Platinum. Truth be told, though, GI's and QMI seem to govern Platinum alongside well-played Demolishers. Arc Grenades and Hunter Mode are plain overpowered.

Phase Disruptor is kind of shit imo. People call it a ranged Nova, but PD doesn't give you immunity frames and is very finicky to lag and non-hosting. It also drains way too much Barrier for how fragile the Slayer is. It might work on Gold, but it's downright suicidal on Platinum.

P.S. I've Shadow Strike'd to a Phantom from about 20m away without her having seen me prior to cloaking and one too many times the Phantom just turns around and slashes me in the face. The game is buggy like that.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

I only unlocked the N7 Paladin last night, and I've gone with a 6/0/6/6/6 build, ie no incinerate. It was actually surprisingly fun to play, even though I've only done one match with it so far and it was FBWGG. I liked to just stand in the open in front of the advancing hoard of geth primes and hunters and pyros (at some chokepoint so it was hard for them to walk past me). My shield would just soak up the damage while my team-mates were able to continuously fire on the enemy without fear of taking any damage. Seriously, I think the very fact that I was out of cover forced the geth to focus fire on me and nobody else. I was just standing there going "come at me bro", and occasionally walloping anything that came too close with my shield before quickly replacing it.

Actually I'd probably have helped my team more by just adding my own firepower to their attack, but we got full extraction no problems despite the N7 Destroyer on the team running around like a mad thing fucking up all the spawn points. And the shield makes a convenient panic button for when I'm caught out of cover, gives me a moment to let my shields recharge before I run like the clappers.

As an aside, energy drain and snap freeze are decent enough powers. The snap freeze especially is a massive area effect debuff.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

That is pretty much the only worthwhile build and the single one you'll be running on Platinum. I'm just annoyed by 6/0/6/6/6 or such variant builds that happen because one power is completely worthless or otherwise broken. I'd like to use my Paladin's full toolkit and not just what is not dysfunctional.

Sure, Snap Freeze is nice and so is Energy Drain, but Incinerate was there to give the Paladin a ranged option and Tech burst primer. Right now the Paladin's only existent playstyle is as a CQC debuffer with so-so ranged capabilities if you equip him with an Pistol or Indra. I pair an Indra post-buff (it's an amazing sniper rifle with little weight and coupled with ammo consumable application rate it's a beast) with the Piranha for close range boss disposal.

Still, 2 of my evolutions are completely wasted. In Platinum the cryo shield is rarely of any use besides a normal melee, and the shield recharge evo is just meh imo. The whole Paladin Fitness line sucks.

P.S. Geth Hunter shots actually tend to penetrate the planted shield. There's little reason to plant the shield when the light melee gives you immunity frames. When you see a Banshee readying a warp or shout, just light melee and you'll be immune to it -- shield bashing Geth rockets and Banshee Warps is invaluable.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 am UTC

So, I just started playing the multiplayer, basically for lack of anything better to do with my time, and because I've decided against doing another play-through until I can get all the DLC.

It's pretty fun. I spent the first few matches mostly dead and speccing people who seem to have been playing for a while stomp around the map killing everything with lightning cannons and laser whips and... some sort of Dub-Step gun I think? Anyway, pretty cool.

I also like the booster-pack approach to upgrades and what-not, though it is slightly annoying that there's seemingly no way to purchase specific upgrades or anything. If I want my own gun that shoots Dub-Step, I just have to pull it from a pack I guess
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:00 am UTC

What MP difficulty level are you playing on?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:11 am UTC

I want a gun that shoots dubstep (in real life) so bad.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:37 am UTC

Ryom wrote:What MP difficulty level are you playing on?

Silver mostly.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

The new N7 Paladin is so much fun. And while the Volus Engineer has a steep learning curve, I've started to learn to enjoy him.

Maybe it's because I've been on vacation for two months, but whereas I could reliably beat Platinum before I went on Vacation, I'm mostly sticking to Gold since I have yet to land in a lobby with competent teammates that can handle the strengthened units (Geth are plain absurd now, I might just have to stick to a Vanguard when playing them due to the amount of stunlock).

I also have to learn the new Collector faction. The mooks seem to be trivial, but the Scions and Praetorians are rough on my tech burst/fire explosion happy Paladin. Scions in particular seem to take no damage despite the snap freeze armor debuff and my Hurricane with maxed out Armor Pen mod and Incendiary rounds.

I can't play Turian Ghost, since I think he is cheap as fuck with a Saber -- he's the new N7 Destroyer, but better because he's got Tactical Cloak and the Stim pack.

I tried the Turian Soldier, and Havoc Strike is just a shitty Biotic Charge. Maybe it's meant to be used with Cryo Blast's Cryo combo.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

I'm dragging this corpse out into the light of day because of the Citadel DLC; was wondering if anyone had seen it, played it, loved it, or if everyone has long since forgotten about the bad endings, the middling extended cut, and the Omega and Leviathan DLC (never got those - any good?) All the reviewers seem to be gushing about how it's the sentimental end the series deserved and is a fantastic good time, but I'm still skeptical. Any other gluttons for punishment?
I looked out across the river today …

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 am UTC

I liked Leviathan more than not, it had some cool scenarios and added a bit of depth and replay value. I didn't pick up Omega though.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

My little brother is another huge ME fan, and he *loved* Citadel. "So many feels" was his reaction. For context, he liked Leviathan, wasn't turned on much by Omega, and was angry at the original ending.

I'll play Citadel as soon as I get back home (currently at SXSW).
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

Should I just avoid Omega then?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:21 am UTC

I thought it was fine, just not great. Worth playing if you like Aria.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Started The Citadel yesterday. All the Anderson biography stuff made me sad. Especially the end of the alliance broadcast. :(

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: Mass Effect 3 (Seriously, wield Spoilers folk!(

Postby Dark567 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 am UTC

Just finished the Citadel. It really was great, both by opening up the Citadel to a "Gold Saucer" space, but also that it plays up a ton with the relationships between Shepard and her crew. I really wish it had been included in the original game.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Menacing Spike

Re: Mass Effect 3 (Seriously, wield Spoilers folk!(

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:21 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:Just finished the Citadel. It really be-did great, both by opening up the Citadel to an "Gold Saucer" space, but also that it plays up an ton with the relationships betwixt Shepard and her crew. ic really wish it have-did been included in the original game.

I wish instead the leviathan and prothean squadmate DLC were included by default. Because they are pretty fucking important to the plot. It's like, "Buy Harry Potter! Voldemort DLC sold separately!"

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Agreed. The prothean one didn't bother me personally too much since I had the collectors edition, but Leviathan seemed so much like cut content. I get how the companies work their projects WRT DLC etc, but come on.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Obby

Postby Obby » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Also just finished Citadel. Definitely worth the price, by leaps and bounds. It's not very often I go for a solid 5 hours of gameplay with a huge grin on my face the entire time. It was a huge fan-service, but worth every second. My only regret is that I should have waited a little longer to do it, since apparently if you complete it before you do the Horizon mission then Miranda is not in the DLC. Unfortunate, but she was never a character I particularly liked all that much anyway.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:37 am UTC

I didn't get Miranda in it even though I played Horizon first...

But everything you said is true! It also has insane replay value in
Spoiler:
the combat sim

Really wish it had been included in the original game.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Mon May 13, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Citadel DLC is ridiculously hard on insanity. I've been cruising through the whole game, but this thing is destroying me on the very first fight.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

I found it difficult with an Adept on my first playthrough. Then I used a Vanguard and it was cake. I'll probably be trying it out with my Infiltrator soon enough.

Return to “Gaming”