scariest game moment - ***spoiler warning***

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

NinjaArcana

Re: scariest game moment - ***spoiler warning***

Postby NinjaArcana » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

Bloodlines... I couldn't even watch the snuff film the first couple of times. Then while in the house, I would literally waste entire clips of smg ammo into only one of those things.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

I'm going to say System Shock 2. I haven't played many horror games, but this one is great. The scariest parts are probably in Cargo Bay 2, when there are all those Hybrids there that you can't see until the very last second when they lurch out at you screaming "KILLLL MEEEE!!!". Or the Annelid Arachnids. I run like hell from those things, because I never have any Anti-Tox hypos.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Akula

Postby Akula » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

NinjaArcana wrote:Bloodlines... I couldn't even watch the snuff film the first couple of times. Then while in the house, I would literally waste entire clips of smg ammo into only one of those things.

It didn't help reading all the diary entries about sewer workers disappearing, dating back across a century.

And the fact that you had to keep going further and further down.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

Silent hill (I forget which number)
You enter a room with a mirror covering one wall and a sink. The door locks behind you. You start noticing that your reflection is decaying, eventually it collapses. Then the mass of melted flesh and blood creeps towards the sink's reflection and goes into the drain. Then it start coming out the sink on your end. It beings covering the walls and floor, and eventually you learn it won't kill you but does transition you to the hell world. Creepiest moment in that game for me.

Also Eternal Darkness wasn't too creepy, except I played the main character (in the modern day) at a constant 0 sanity, so strange shit was always happening.
This space intentionally left blank.

Stax Kazama

Postby Stax Kazama » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

chaosspawn wrote:Silent hill (I forget which number)
You enter a room with a mirror covering one wall and a sink. The door locks behind you. You start noticing that your reflection is decaying, eventually it collapses. Then the mass of melted flesh and blood creeps towards the sink's reflection and goes into the drain. Then it start coming out the sink on your end. It beings covering the walls and floor, and eventually you learn it won't kill you but does transition you to the hell world. Creepiest moment in that game for me.

It was from Silent Hill 3. When I played it, it was a bit different though. In the reflection blood started coming up out of the drain in the sink and ran upwards along everything covering it (including your reflection). The lights started going all weird and getting dark and flashing and then my character's reflection just froze in place. Then the blood started coming up out of the drain on my side of the mirror as well. Didn't really scare me as much as it really creeped me out.

The beginning of Fatal Frame where there's the cinematic that has you walk up the stairs after seeing your brother. When you hear the footsteps coming up the stairs after you and hold up your camera and that ghost just jumps up? Yeah, I screamed like a little girl when that happened. I played that game for like an hour or two and could never pick it up again and I love horror games/movies.

Only other time I actually screamed was playing Echo Night: Beyond. I was getting a reading that there was a ghost around and I could not find this thing. It should have been standing right in front of me. I just happened to look down with my flashlight to see it sitting there. That one was more out of surprise though.

This is making me want to go play them again.

Joshmonster

Postby Joshmonster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

I have to give props to RE1. That very first zombie cut scene freaked me right out!

Also, RE4 is full of awesomeness... even though I still haven't finished it after owning it for almost two years. Damn the world of warcraft!!!

miraidesuka

Postby miraidesuka » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned BioShock. Definitely not as good as System Shock 2, but there were some moments where I almost had a heart attack.

Playing in a dark basement room with the lights out certainly adds to the effect though...
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

the scariest moment I had was playing Grand Theft Auto 3 for the first time and accidentally taking my car around a turn too fast and running over like 3 people only to realize they had dropped money so I got out and went to collect it. Then I realized there were lots of civilians I could terrorize in this way to earn easy money and after a mere 3 minutes or so of such action, I tossed the disk to the side never to be played again. How is that fun for anybody? I don't mind killing bad guys but some lady walking aimlessly down the street really doesn't work for me. It made the game unplayable. I think it was so scary because I realized that people actually put that part in there on purpose.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

petfish

Postby petfish » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

Playing Bioshock in the dark in an empty apartment was . . . a bad idea. It also creeped me out in incredible new ways. I can't say Bioshock is scary, but it's definitely very creepy, which is more difficult than scary.

Playing the original Doom back when it was still new with the sound off so as to avoid bothering people nearby, and turning around to find one of those huge pink demons has just stepped up behind you and is staring at you like "OH HI HOW ARE YOU DOING." I know I squeaked, and I think I almost had a pants crisis.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

mosc wrote:the scariest moment I had was playing Grand Theft Auto 3 for the first time and accidentally taking my car around a turn too fast and running over like 3 people only to realize they had dropped money so I got out and went to collect it. Then I realized there were lots of civilians I could terrorize in this way to earn easy money and after a mere 3 minutes or so of such action, I tossed the disk to the side never to be played again. How is that fun for anybody? I don't mind killing bad guys but some lady walking aimlessly down the street really doesn't work for me. It made the game unplayable. I think it was so scary because I realized that people actually put that part in there on purpose.

.... so you never made it to the mission where you have to clean up the incriminating evidence of the politician's necrophilla? That was a fun mission....
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:23 am UTC

I'll add another Silent Hill moment.

From the original. I haven't played it since it came out, so my memory of this event is rusty.

But essentially... you are in the school. In a locker room. And one locker is clattering. So, you approach it very slowly and when you open the door, a cat jumps out. Eek!

Then, you go to the Dark World, or whatever it's called. And you're in that same locker room.

And it's clattering again.

So, you approach it. Nervously, because you know there's no way it's gonna be a cat this time...

And then a DIFFERENT locker right BEHIND you bursts open and a mutilated corpse falls out. I stopped playing shortly after that.

And I may be misremembering some of this sequence, so feel free to correct me.

Gadren

Re:

Postby Gadren » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:32 am UTC

EvanED wrote:I played through HL2 on easy (because... I'm a pussy... and also am not really a gamer at all so suck at FPS). There were a couple times when I jumped if I was poking around in some dark place and a zombie/headcrab popped up.

But actually the iconic moment regarding HL2 was not in-game, but while I was sitting at my desk maybe 20 minutes after stopping on a day when I played it for about 6 hours, and the ceiling light flickered. I thought I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, and I swear, it drew my gaze instantly and the first thing that went through my head was a somewhat panicked "HEADCRAB!!" I think I might have tried to mouselook too.

Actually, I think I was on the fora an the time.

I know what you mean! After playing a lot of HL2, I heard, outside my dorm, some maintenance staff talking on their walkie-talkies... and I thought "COMBINE!!"

teamcorndog

Re: Re:

Postby teamcorndog » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

someguy wrote:
ETA: A friend in high school had The Seventh Guest (yes, I'm old.) I remember this particular part in which you entered what seemed to be (or have been) a small child's room, and if you clicked on the cradle or some other such object you got this short animated sequence in which the lighting went all weird and toys started moving on their own, all to the sound of out-of-tune music boxes and crying children. I don't think I'll forget that one for as long as I live.

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that was scared by T7G. I had a hell of a time getting through that game, and the sequel. I loved the puzzle parts, but why did they have to throw in so much scary? :/
I'm the biggest weenie ever, btw. I get scared playing 'Zombies Ate My Neighbors' and 'Haunting, Starring Polterguy'.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

AvP2, first level, marine, hardest difficulty. I thought I was dead for the first twenty minutes I was playing, and NOTHING FREAKING HAPPENED! I finally start to relax and then BAM! I'm running backwards through air ducts with just half a mag of pulse rifle ammo and two aliens hot on my heels (toes?). The motion tracker only goes in front of you, so I can't see or detect what is behind me except by sound. As soon as I beat that part, I saved the game with a literally shaking hand, quit, and couldn't play again for a few days. That game rocked.
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

Yeah.. I think I blew a clip and a half of ammo on the first level, shooting at nothing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Joshmonster

Postby Joshmonster » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

Umlaut wrote:AvP2, first level, marine, hardest difficulty. I thought I was dead for the first twenty minutes I was playing, and NOTHING FREAKING HAPPENED! I finally start to relax and then BAM! I'm running backwards through air ducts with just half a mag of pulse rifle ammo and two aliens hot on my heels (toes?). The motion tracker only goes in front of you, so I can't see or detect what is behind me except by sound. As soon as I beat that part, I saved the game with a literally shaking hand, quit, and couldn't play again for a few days. That game rocked.

Nice! My friends and I used to LAN some AvP until the sun came up. That was one of the more fun FPS. Unfortunately the game is much less creepy as a predator :(

ducknerd

Postby ducknerd » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:51 am UTC

Definitely, the part in RE4 when you're in the military compound. And you go into the kitchen. And the oven OPENS. And a fucking GUY, who's ON FUCKING FIRE comes out and TRIES TO HUG YOU AND YOU SCREAM IN FLAMING COOKING DEATH.

I didn't even play that part, I was watching a friend, but that scared the everything out of me.
17/Male/Hetero/Euromutt

Q.W.Quee

Postby Q.W.Quee » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 am UTC

I'm gonna have to say the island from Resi 4 for one reason. ONE SIMPLE REASON.

Regenerators.

Seriously, has anyone with their with about them actually encountered one of the buggers (or their spiky brethren) without a noticeable increase in heart rate?
Do you like my hat?

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:07 pm UTC

Scariest games in order of playing them (that I remember ... I might be wrong)

Diablo 1. Particularily "the butcher", he comes out of nowhere fast as shit. There are a couple other times when walking through large empty halls and suddenly enemies approach from all sides. But mostly that one thing

F.E.A.R. First, the bits with the girl. second, the bits wth the girl. Then there are the invisible guys, first time I walked into an office room and this fucker jumped at me. Killed me pretty damn fast.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Well invisible mutans in poorly lit sewers. You bet your ass it's scary, especially combined with those mind fucking bastards.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:17 am UTC

Scariest gaming moment?

Type /played.

Multiply by the minimum wage.

Scream in horror.
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

BrotherPower

Postby BrotherPower » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:02 am UTC

The first time I played "Jordan" in GH2 on Expert and was crushed by solo B. Don't laugh, it was damn scary. I've since conquered the beast, though. So take that, Buckethead. You and your dumb bucket.

But seriously, in Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit when I was hiding from the cops in Lucas' ex-girlfriend's house, I was holding my breath. The game is so interactive you really feel what the protagonist is feeling.

EDIT: Typos.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Pikmin 2.
No. Seriously. The bosses in this game will make you crap your pants. I remember being in a dungeon looking for an exit while my Pikmin were hanging by the base when this huge fucking steamroller monster comes and...well I didn't really get back to my Pikmin in time.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:53 am UTC

hl2:ep2, when you find the gnome at the start and comprehend how hard that achievement will be :D
in ur beanz makin u eveel

The_Toad

Postby The_Toad » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:40 pm UTC

the main theme to Zombies ate my neighbors

Bob251

Postby Bob251 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:22 am UTC

The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour. Both games were creepy, although the first was far creepier than the second. And the lab puzzle in T7G and the last puzzle in 11th Hour were near impossible for me. We even had a guide book that walked you through T7G and all of the puzzles, and the advice it gave for the lab puzzle was to read the hint book tree times in the library to get it done (essentially cheating).

RE2, every encounter with a licker was pretty damned scary. Although the one that stands out above the rest was right after getting...something, don't remember what...from the room with the one-way mirror on the side you can't see through and having the bloody thing break through it. Scared the hell out of me. I stopped playing after that and just watched my brother play through the game.

SH1, finding the shotgun. And the cat. I didn't make it past the school.

wingnut12

Postby wingnut12 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:59 am UTC

I find it hard to believe that no one has mentioned the Berserkers from RE4.

I just about shat myself the first time i fought one of them.

Oh and on regenerators, having the Tommy Gun with unlimited ammo helps. They kinda lose their scariness when you can just keep shooting forever.

However, they did scare me, especially in the Freezer and that area. Having seen my brother fight them, that wasn't the worrying part, what scared me was the anticipaton of fighting one. Knowing it was coming and yet not knowing.

LoopQuantumGravity

Postby LoopQuantumGravity » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:26 am UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:i vote the asylum/orphanage in theif:deadly shadows

initially just damn creepy with nothing in it, then you find the ghost of a child which tuns to spooky, then you get thrust into a world with straitjacketed mental patients which make the lights buzz from their electroshock therapy and can not be killed. brown trouser time!

This is the only part of a game that's ever freaked me out. Mostly because it's such a long level, and the enemies don't die. And they occasionally sneak up on you. Most other "creepy" things in games just come off as annoying, like the headcrabs and stuff in HL. Although the beginning of the flood in Halo was creepy, and some other flood parts were, but they just got annoying with the gang-rape later...
I study theoretical physics & strings, and am a recipient of the prestigious Jayne Cobb Hero of Canton award.

And the science gets done and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive!

Stief

Postby Stief » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Fast Zombies...HL2...No...That scream is horrible...

Oh and the original Dune game...the point and click one...when you went too far into the desert...the animation of your death was traumatising...especially when you add the fact I was 8 or something...

and I know I said it before, but SH1...the opening part...music+finding corpse on fence+camera=me going D:

the rest of the game wasn't any more calming on the nerves.. :|
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

sunami

Postby sunami » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:55 am UTC

I haven't really played many games where the point is to scare you, but the hotel escape from Call of Cthulhu STILL gets my heart going, and the first time I played it I was more scared than I've been in my life.

Other moment, same game. This only scared me the first time, as I was so engrossed in the game and totally did not expect it. In the level with the jailbreak, there is a path you can go down to where there is a sewer grating. Well when you are on the stairs around the corner to it the first time, you get a monster-vision (people who've played the game know what I mean) of something crawling up a ladder and opening the grating a little bit and looking out. Well when you get back to your body, you run down the stairs and around the corner. The moment you step around the corner and see the grating, it's opened slightly, nothing there, and then it drops down quickly with a loud *BANG*. HOLY, FUCKING, SHIT. I paused the game and went over to my bed to hold myself for like 10 minutes. Later on you are walking through the sewers after prying the grating open, and you're hearing voices (it's in his head) around you, and I was shaking, expecting something to pop out and the like.

The whole "no UI" bit of that game makes for so much "It's not a game I'm really there" kind of feel that works to draw you in, the whole insanity bit with the visuals and sound makes it really awesome.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

bagelfairy

Postby bagelfairy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

I'm a big, big fan of old RPG games, so I'd have to go with a lot of different places in Exile 3: ruined world, like the icy death cavern and whenever the Rakshasa show up. 16-bit graphics and text-based alert notices can still scare the hell out of you if you're into it enough and have a good imagination.
Dry Ice: The Snowman-based comic. Updated 5x a week for your icy pleasure.

Stief

Postby Stief » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

bagelfairy wrote:I'm a big, big fan of old RPG games, so I'd have to go with a lot of different places in Exile 3: ruined world, like the icy death cavern and whenever the Rakshasa show up. 16-bit graphics and text-based alert notices can still scare the hell out of you if you're into it enough and have a good imagination.

I know what you mean...I was playing a flash game based around the film creep...simple 'arrows make you walk' first person affair...you just go through the subway...all of a sudden...a message at the bottom of the screen...

It's coming for you...

I was like..."okaaaaaaaaaay"

they started getting more frequent...

I think it was about the time I ran into a dead-end and it said it's getting closer that I pressed [read:Frantically clicked] the back button...
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:45 am UTC

I was scared shitless the first time i ran into a Vampire in Morrowind.
I was home alone, and it was a thunderstorm outside, and i had the volume up really high.
Of course it was thunderstorm in the game aswell, and it was night, both in game and IRL.
So i found this door, to an Ancestral Tomb it turns out, usualy conains nothing more than a few zombies and maybe a skeleton. But this time i see a Dunmer (dark elf, the general populus of morrowind), turned away from me. So i figure i'd walk down the stair and talk to him. The second i get to him he turns around and screams "DIIIIEEEE!!!" and has empty white eyes and long fangs. His face covering the entire screen. I ran like hell, but he and a bundel of Vampires chased me outside, into the thunder storm, whenever i thought i was safe behind a rock, they came with thier horrible faces and voices, right round the corner...
I've never really played any pure horrorgames, seeing as they'd probably kill me with fright.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

masher

Postby masher » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:04 am UTC

Need to add a vote for Ravenholm. Probably didn't help that it was 2am and I'd been playing for the previous 7 hours...

CrackTheSky

Postby CrackTheSky » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:51 am UTC

I played System Shock 2 for about 30 minutes before I had to turn it off because I was so scared.

...But then again, I have a pretty low threshold for this kind of stuff.

Half-Life creeped me out quite a bit, especially in the first half when you're walking through the halls of the laboratory, and a head crab would jump out at you from the shadows. I jumped a lot in that game.

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:59 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:Poison zombies/Poison Headcrabs = Inch closer and closer, turn off the sound, whimper and spray everything that moves while screaming like a little girl and throwing grenades blindly into the black lumps that are those evil little sons of bitches. Those things creep me out beyond belief.

Poison Headcrabs still give me nightmares. xD

The sound they make... fashlfjkhasuirsdhr shiver.

I also remember some scene in Resident Evil 2 in which you're in some room getting ammo or something, and there's a two-way mirror, and a Licker busts through it when it gets really quiet or something. Scared the shit out of me when I was like 10. That and arms busting through walls.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

ChooChoo wrote:Poison Headcrabs still give me nightmares. xD

The sound they make... fashlfjkhasuirsdhr shiver.

The valve staff said that, in playtesting, *any time* the playtesters heard that sound, they would drop whatever they were doing, whatever they were fighting, no matter how dangerous, and freak out trying to find the poison crab and kill the shit out of it. Nearly every time.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

SenseiJinx

Postby SenseiJinx » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

I haven't played a lot of scary games. Ravenholm in HL2 was pretty intense at first, but once you got used to the zombies they were kind of comical. Of course, then they started throwing the poison and speed zombies at you, which increased the tension a bit. Not too bad, though.

Bioshock isn't exactly a horror game, but it can be pretty darn disturbing. Once you get a few hours into the game, it kind of stops scaring you (partly because there is no penalty for dying). But man, the first hour or so scared the living daylights out of me.

You hear Ryan's speech about how great Rapture is while descending in the Bathysphere. Then you hear Atlus telling somebody to go find you, warning him that "the splicers are coming". You got down there, and you see small glimpses through the darkness of some lady brutally murdering a man. Man, when she saw me and started to drill her way into the bathysphere I freaked out. And then having to step out, completely helpless, listening to her murmurings in the background was awful. I almost stopped playing the game at that point.

It was psychological, which is the genius of Bioschock. It doesn't rely on typical scare tactics, but rather draws you into this awful world. I remember another time, I walked into a room with spotlights that shone on me. Suddenly the lights left me, and went to the ceiling where I saw one of those awful spider splicers. Dang, that freaked me out.

Although there were a few standard horror moments. :) One time, near the beginning of the game, I took a route through a hallway. I could hear somebody going on. I saw, him, but then the lights went out. When they went back on, he was gone of course. I KNEW he was going to jump out at me at some point. Knowing it was going to happen made it worse when it actually did. Heh.

Awesome game, though.

Oh, and this is odd, but there was a monster in the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that frightened me. Remember that miniboss that had the arms that would stick out of the ground? Playing that game when I was 12 or so gave me the creeps when I played that part.

DirkDelDiablo

Re:

Postby DirkDelDiablo » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:45 am UTC

Col. Mustard wrote:Condemned for xbox360, that effing abandoned department store was freaky.

THIS MAN SPEAKS TRUTH.

Also, two quickies for PC gamers:

The White Chamber, a free point-and-click adventure game, that can be found here:http://www.studiotrophis.com/site/projects/thewhitechamber The voice acting, as well as the supplemental radio play, really help sell the creepiness. My favorite moment actually happens right at the beginning. "Do you regret?"

Penumbra: Overture. I cannot play this game. Seriously. I've finished Silent Hills 1-3, would have finished 4 if it wasn't so mediocre. I can also handle your Fatal Frames, Clock Towers, etc. But I had to quit playing Penumbra. It is the most terrifying game I have ever seen. It's pretty new, and only 20 bux. It's highly recommended. If you want to know what it's actually like, I'd describe it as Call of Chuthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, basically, only in a terrible mine instead of a town. This whole game was the scariest moment. It took me roughly two hours to get through what is a lot more like a half-hour of game.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:25 pm UTC

Wait, why have you never mentioned Penumbra to me before?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Citizen K

Postby Citizen K » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Then I realized there were lots of civilians I could terrorize in this way to earn easy money and after a mere 3 minutes or so of such action, I tossed the disk to the side never to be played again. How is that fun for anybody? I don't mind killing bad guys but some lady walking aimlessly down the street really doesn't work for me. It made the game unplayable. I think it was so scary because I realized that people actually put that part in there on purpose.

Except that the main character in that game is a hardened criminal, escaped from jail and on the run.
And more to the point, had you played a bit longer, you would have come to the conclusion that running people over in the street isn't highly encouraged. The amount of cash you can get that way is mostly irrelevant, and if the popo sees you doing it, they start chasing you, which is an annoyance.
Beware the cows! Not all milk is enriched.

Return to “Gaming”