Most Bogus Gaming moments.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Most Bogus Gaming moments.

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

-Most frustrating: The boss on top of the airship in Ninja Gaiden

-Most crestfalling: after sitting down and getting through pretty much the final seven levels in Halo2, seeing the credits starting to roll up.

So who else has had majorly bogus gaming moments?

(In before Blue Shells)
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

Most Frustrating: players who can only win by "ringout" in Soul Caliber.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

The ending of Golden Sun on GBA.

I remember thinking that I must be getting close to the end and that there was still an awful lot of plot to cover. Then bam . . . done. The story? Oh that's in the sequel.

Nuclear Spoon

Postby Nuclear Spoon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

End of Zelda 64.

Scenes of celebration. Woo and yay. Link walks up to Zelda.

"The End". And it's stuck there until you turn off.
www.gaming4charity.org

Endomorphic

Postby Endomorphic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

The conclusion of Freelancer.

Finally the scientist who can read the artifact is found. I think "Awesome: time for the main plot to begin. I've been doing sidequests for too long already." Then you get the final mission, blow up some aliens, game over, still no sign of any plot :(

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:48 pm UTC

The end of twilight princess, because I wanted to play another 60 hours of it.

That game is the shit. Also, the credits are forever. And ever. And ever.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 pm UTC

The end of Half Life 2.

Alright.. time to go to the Combine's planet and... wait, what do you mean that's it? What? And.. with.... WHAT?!?!

.. I'm sad.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

eMan2718281828

Postby eMan2718281828 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:03 am UTC

Most frustrating: Contra...some version or another. You are in the sky (1) trying to destroy a helicopter looking thingy (2) while it is shooting at you and you are (3) hanging onto moving missiles and you have to (4) drop off of each missile before it hits the aforementioned helicopter looking thingy, all while (5) making sure that you don't get hit by the same missiles onto which you are hanging because there's 3 or 4 of them on the screen at once.

Most bogus: I had 2 clicks left on a miracle run on the Minesweeper expert level (time showing on the clock was 54 secs, 2 more clicks and I would have had a 55), and I managed to kill myself.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:11 am UTC

Fourth boss of Ikaruga with the MOTHERFUCKING DREAMCAST D-PAD
Running into walls has never been so fun!

tarkadal

Postby tarkadal » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:52 am UTC

SSBM, All Star mode, one Mr. Game and Watch away from finally getting the "No Damage Clear" bonus, and I get hit by a falling hammer.

Again, going for the "No Damage Clear" this time on classic, Master Hand has 7HP left. I hestitate, just enough, he got me.

I don't think I ever went back and tried for that again.

Definitely bogus.
Happiness is a time a place. A memory a chemical imbalance or shift.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

End of Half Life 2 and end of MoH:AA. Alright now, out of the bunker and, hey! You're done! Yay! ... Wha'a?

Also, any time I EVER played paperboy for the NES. Thought that game was ridiculously hard.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Cuton

Postby Cuton » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

Realising that you had to
pray
in order to beat the last boss in Earthbound... sigh

Cuton

ShadeWolf
Not to be confused with the well-lit variety

Postby ShadeWolf » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 am UTC

Knights of the Old republic 2 - What a short ending for such a good game.

Ocarina of time and Twilight princess, Just the ending, Both games had a cool story line that made you want to play just that extra bit longer, but the ending, just left me wanting more.
The wolf that walks in the dark is no more.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

tHAT TIME i COULDN'T ISIT IN THE CHAIR AT THE END OF THE tHIEVE'S gUILD QUEST IN oBLIVION. (sEE "FIXING THE fLAWS")
(Whoops. Seems my Caps Lock was on... I'm too lazy to fix it.)

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

Playing super smash bros. melee against peach. Peach is throwing turnips at me, and I'm catching them and throwing them back. Two of them collide and bounce off each other (as usual) but then somehow collide again immediately, bounce of again immediately, and continue doing so, never seperating on the screen. Somehow their collision makes both up, so the end result is both turnips floating up off the top of the screen making colliding turnip noises. The first time I saw this I laughed so fucking hard. Conservation of energy, schmonservation of energy!
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Invisible_Insane
Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Postby Invisible_Insane » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

Being eliminated from the only SSBM tourney I played in on a sudden death by a person I should have thrashed.

Fucking projectors.
God is to Microsoft as Human Nature is to Windows Vista.

Yhatki

Postby Yhatki » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:30 pm UTC

Accidentally overwriting my Final Fantasy X save (almost the entire sphere grid filled out for most characters) with my joke save.
Yes, it's entirely my fault. But it was devastating. So, so devastating. I haven't played it since.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

Having God of War freeze up and crash during the final segment of the final boss fight against Aries. Haven't bothered to go back and re-play it, and have lost much of my interest in getting God of War 2.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

Playing through an incredibly irritating boss battle in FFX four times before I finally gave up hope that the disc was anything but irretreivably scratched. Okay, so that's not an inherently bogus game moment, but it still makes me want to tear my hair out. I haven't bothered to get the disc resurfaced yet because I don't want to fight that FUCKING BOSS AGAIN ARRRRRGH!
You don't make them touch!

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

Girlâ„¢ wrote:Playing through an incredibly irritating boss battle in FFX four times before I finally gave up hope that the disc was anything but irretreivably scratched. Okay, so that's not an inherently bogus game moment, but it still makes me want to tear my hair out. I haven't bothered to get the disc resurfaced yet because I don't want to fight that FUCKING BOSS AGAIN ARRRRRGH!

I hope it wasn't that flying worm before you stop yuna's wedding. i forgot the name, but that boss was the one i ever took longest on for that game. SO annoying. it took me like 10 tries since you had no summons.

Yhatki wrote:Accidentally overwriting my Final Fantasy X save (almost the entire sphere grid filled out for most characters) with my joke save.
Yes, it's entirely my fault. But it was devastating. So, so devastating. I haven't played it since.

thats exactly why i save those files a good 3 pages of slots below my most important saves. I've done that too many times. *sigh*
Last edited by Dark Ragnarok on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:55 pm UTC

I found the flying worm easy. Maester Seymour was the one I had trouble beating.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:I found the flying worm easy. Maester Seymour was the one I had trouble beating.

when i used learned to whore out a summon's overdrive, the only problem i had was with the seymour that had "Lance of Atrophy" (near that cold mountain range) it took me 2-3 tries. but i loved the battle music so much, it never bothered me. all other seymour's took only one try.

2DMan

Postby 2DMan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

Personally, I beat 99% of FFX then jammed on Jecht at the end. One vicious sod, he is, and I couldn't be bothered to go back and grind for XP and track down legendary weaponry. So instead, out of desperation to see the end of the story, I bothered a friend's card and used his save. His Tidus could hit six times before anyone else could react, dealt 99999 damage with every hit and had 25000 health. One-hit-killing every bossform from Jecht onwards made for beautiful, sweet revenge. Fun, but I still think that the 200+ hours playtime the save reported was rather too much of his life wasted...

As for bogus stuff... hmm. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Awesome game. So I've fought my way through a vast amount of stuff, become impressively powerful, blah-di-blah. Finally finish this insanely long story quest for getting the Ankaran Sarcophagus or whatever the damn thing was called. And what happens? Literally game-breaking bug, and the game can't continue. The quest never counts as complete, despite the cutscene showing and everything. Pain incarnate.
2DMan - Master of Calm
Also known as 'TwoDaemon' on the IRC, with thanks to LE4dGOLEM.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

Walking through the final dungeon in Final Fantasy 3 DS to get OMGWTFraped by the final boss.

That and finding out my Final Fantasy X disc is lunch after investing 10 hours into the son of a bitch, and I've given up on the series.

And I'm not sure I ever beat Metroid Prime 2. That final boss is ass. But there was still probably 3 more forms after the one I couldn't beat.

Oh and finding out Metroid Prime Hunters singleplayer sucked as much ass as it did.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:14 pm UTC

Apparently, my mom and her family had rogue. Apparently when they eventually beat it, it broke the computer. Apparently this happened with every computer. That would suck.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:And I'm not sure I ever beat Metroid Prime 2. That final boss is ass. But there was still probably 3 more forms after the one I couldn't beat.

The alpha splinter and final boss are the hardest non-Gaiden bosses from any game, ever.

Quadraxis, on the other hand, is the most bogus moment in gaming history.

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

I'd say Steam games in general. I don't have a fancy enough router, so I can't even play the games single-player without stopping anyone else in the house from going online. Then there's the fact that the game ends without saving if there's a short disconnect from the internet.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:53 pm UTC

Delbin wrote:I'd say Steam games in general. I don't have a fancy enough router, so I can't even play the games single-player without stopping anyone else in the house from going online. Then there's the fact that the game ends without saving if there's a short disconnect from the internet.

You can pick up No-Steam cracks so you can play the single-player without using it.

peter

Postby peter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:48 pm UTC

Fuckin' shoot a guy in the back 5 times in GoW, have him turn around and 1-hit me. (Happens more than I'd like)

Cosmonaut Smut Peddler

Postby Cosmonaut Smut Peddler » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:16 am UTC

The ending of Final Fantasy X was such a terrible let down that it ruined the game so bad that I didn't even bother with any interesting side stuff I might have missed.

Similarly in Final Fantasy IX, when your party splits up and it's only you and Quina Quen to fight this one boss. Unfortunately for me, I left QQ about twenty levels behind all my other characters so it died pretty much after the boss looked at it. I quit the game because you couldn't leave.

There's probably a lot of others. The ending to Gears was pretty depressing. Half the awesome levels they promised never turned up, nevermind half the awesome enemies or bosses, and the fact that it ended after what? Fifteen hours of game play if you took your time?

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:11 am UTC

Narsil wrote:Walking through the final dungeon in Final Fantasy 3 DS to get OMGWTFraped by the final boss.

That and finding out my Final Fantasy X disc is lunch after investing 10 hours into the son of a bitch, and I've given up on the series.

Having to level one of the guys into a Ninja for FF3. Arggh. JUST for the final boss, which I don't really remember playing any longer :\ Guess it wasn't that special.

Getting 75% of the way into FFX, JUST before getting control of the airship, and I can't beat the boss. I have to use overdrives to kill the woman's first form. I actually did restart and I never once ran from a battle. I completely obliterated everything, Jecht ended up being cake too. But having to waste another 15 hours was just so horrible.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:05 am UTC

Hitting refresh instead of freeze.

quicksaving while falling into a void

A bug causing none of the traps -or doors- in a room to function. Fuck PoP.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

Fail

Postby Fail » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:59 am UTC

Gears of War on Insane Co-Op.

tarkadal

Postby tarkadal » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:02 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
Narsil wrote:And I'm not sure I ever beat Metroid Prime 2. That final boss is ass. But there was still probably 3 more forms after the one I couldn't beat.

The alpha splinter and final boss are the hardest non-Gaiden bosses from any game, ever.

Most of the bosses from MP 2 are a step up in difficulty from the usual. I'd say the Boost Guardian shits me the most. My most bogus MP 2 moments include missing 1 one-time-only scan in a playthrough, twice. Damn you, I want my art gallery.
Happiness is a time a place. A memory a chemical imbalance or shift.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:36 am UTC

tarkadal wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:

Most of the bosses from MP 2 are a step up in difficulty from the usual. I'd say the Boost Guardian shits me the most. My most bogus MP 2 moments include missing 1 one-time-only scan in a playthrough, twice. Damn you, I want my art gallery.

Yeah. In the run I'm on now, I missed Dark Samus I. (I'm not sure how).

99.8% scans. Rough.

And yes, the Boost Guardian, as with the Spider Guardian, is fucking HARD.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 am UTC

Owijad wrote:quicksaving while falling into a void

That was actually one of my most fun moments in co-op in the original Halo (on the level Halo), where I made a bee-line for a cliff, and got a checkpoint just before we tumbled over. We were going so fast (and bouncing so much) that each time we respawned we couldn't brake in time and just tumbled over in a continuous time-loop of spartan death. After some fun shooting each other while falling to our dooms, we just left it running for an hour, just to rack up some super-soldier torture.

I think in Halo 2 if that happens too much it takes you to your previous checkpoint.

clay/slayThee.exe

Postby clay/slayThee.exe » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:09 am UTC

halo 2 campaign was the biggest disappointment ive ever felt in a game

i waited soooo long for it and it was so lame

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:17 am UTC

clay/slayThee.exe wrote:halo 2 campaign was the biggest disappointment ive ever felt in a game

i waited soooo long for it and it was so lame

aw it wasn't that bad. How can you argue with Grunt B day party skull...

clay/slayThee.exe

Postby clay/slayThee.exe » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:32 am UTC

the ending was so...anticlimatic and all the levels were repeats of halo 1 levels. All the new content was in weapons and enemy character models, they didn't do any work to giving you genuinely new gameplay.

LordIllidan

Postby LordIllidan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:54 am UTC

Phenriz wrote:Most Frustrating: players who can only win by "ringout" in Soul Caliber.

Put 'em in a cage match, and watch 'em squirm.

Also relating to SoulCalibur, my most devestating moment:

Realizing that my entire Chronicles of the Sword team was my own custom characters, and there was only one male.

(For reference, I'M male, and have nothing against females. It's just sad to see the extent of my lack of... er...

Shutting up now.)

Return to “Gaming”