Most Bogus Gaming moments.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Re: Most Bogus Gaming moments.

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Silicon Valley wrote:I hated Silicon Valley for just that sort of reason. The hardest part of the game though, was definitely the beginning, when you had to track down *something* to use to stop your itty bitty chipset from dying and also get past the mangy mutt with rocket launchers.

Later on, I despised playing the Kangaroo in the desert level. . . I think that's where I stopped playing.

Oblivion wrote:She went down to brew the vampire cure. . . and never, ever, came out.

Devil May Cry 3 wrote:You die in one hit? No matter what that hit is? You're serious? Fuck you.

Disgaea 2 wrote:Cheapleveling is the only way to accomplish anything in the main story past the pseudoZenon? That takes all the fun out of it D:
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:35 am UTC

Final Fantasy 8:
When I realised that levelling up was actually useless as the enemies levelled up with me, I wasted ages fighting fish in the beaches to get strong :(

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:Final Fantasy 8:
When I realised that levelling up was actually useless as the enemies levelled up with me, I wasted ages fighting fish in the beaches to get strong :(

Sometimes... sometimes I wish real life were like that. I could fish all day if it would make me strong.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

My gaming skills aren't up to par (as in...I don't play the more current games) so I'm relying on older games.

Wolfenstein 3D: When you enter a room, all the Nazis shoot at you. You have shot them all (or so you think). There's one or two that are hiding behind a pillar or some other blockade that shoot you dead.

Mahjongg (any version): One pair left. One tile is stacked on top of the other. Same thing if there are more than two moves left. Shuffling them won't help at all.
PRG

An important message for you:

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Most Frustrating;
Ipod Solitare, it's impossible ;/
Kingdom Hearts 2, the Demyx Fight in Hollow Bastion on Proud mode, Only way I could beat that is bring lots of Ethers and
spam Comet xD
Rawr!

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:05 am UTC

My most bogus gaming moment was in Final Fantasy VII. It was when Aeris asks Cloud to be her bodyguard and is all "I'll pay you back by going on a date with you lol!" So much fucking bullshit. Girls who elicit favors in exchange for dates are fucking whores and I hate her. I hope I never become her.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:30 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'm sure you wouldn't want to become dead, either.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Spoiler:
When I found out, I was all "thank fucking goodness the bitch dies."

I am a bad person and should feel bad. But I don't.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

Red Steel not responding to Wiimote movements :evil:
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

Lots of interesting categories. To summarize:

WTF Moment - related to savegame
WTF Moment - related to ending
WTF Moment - related to difficulty
WTF Moment - related to disappointment

To add my own in a few categories.

WTF - Disappointment
Deus Ex 2 (Invisible War)
Seriously. You took a beautifully layered, balanced game. And blew it. You dropped the ball, asshole. Primary complaint? The hardcore PC interface was DUMBED DOWN FOR XBOX. Sure, bloom is pretty, but if the font has to be size 32 to be read on a television, then clearly you aren't playing it in 16:9.

(Along those lines, I also like to hate on Xbox360 games where the font is indecipherable on a component (best qual) hookup on a plain old TV...I'm looking at you, Dead Rising)

I'm surprised that there was a complaint about the Earthbound ending. That ending has shown up in TENS of other video games, which I continue to call "the earthbound ending". Pretty much any time you doing nothing beats the boss, earthbounded. (Darkness, Price o'Persia 3, Paper Mario 2, etc.)

I'd like to make a whole category for the overused "Why am I doing shit I don't understand" plot device. Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3, (4?), Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario 2, Brave Fencer Musashi.

In any case, Super Mario Sunshine being neigh unplayable due to pain? - Bogus (We renamed the game Shigiru Myamoto Hates Children)

Accidently beating Twilight Princess because I couldn't possibly be at the end of a zelda game? - Bogus

But my absolute MOST UNFORGIVABLE BOGUS MOMENT EVER----

THE TRAINWRECK THAT IS THE SECOND DISK OF XENOGEARS

seriously. First disk? Beautiful. Great story. It's like they ran out of money. It can't be spoiler because it's the BACK NINE OF THE GAME. You quite literally sit and listen to people sit in a rocking chair and tell you the story. As if it wasn't wordy enough. WTF, d00d.

(Along that line of disappointment, every 3d castlevania. Help me! I can't stop bitching! help i'm trapped in a bitching factor.......)

...yeah...careful with them colors. People get all confuzzled - ST
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Masterwabbit

Postby Masterwabbit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:28 am UTC

Most Bogus Gaming Moment:

FFVII.

Sephiroth uses his 8 minute long summon. Nearly decimates the party (Tifa/Cloud/Red XIII).
Guess which character had an Mega-All materia, got confused, and punched the ground killing the entire party.
My Webcomic: Jay and Olivia.

"The only thing I know is that I don't know anything" -Socrates

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

argyl3 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I honestly didn't care at all when she died. She was just annoying (and, btw, why didn't she bleed? I wanted spurting blood!)

Oh, and most bogus gaming moment - the final boss on Zelda: Wind Waker. Just far too easy - I want to feel like I've beaten the ultimate boss, not to be thinking "Ok, he'll transform into something better and get up now"
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:33 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Oh, and most bogus gaming moment - the final boss on Zelda: Wind Waker. Just far too easy - I want to feel like I've beaten the ultimate boss, not to be thinking "Ok, he'll transform into something better and get up now"

I was like that with Majora's Mask. I earned the Feirce Diety mask before facing him the first time and barely noticed I'd even started fighting with him. I felt so let down
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:Final Fantasy 8:

Haha. The game system was designed specifically so you never have to level up. It's completely possible (and has been done) to beat the game while only getting some minimal amount of experience, since there's like three fights you HAVE to win by fighting. The rest can either be run from or won by CARDing all the enemies

Also, I thought Castlevania: Curse of Darkness was a pretty good game. Not spectacular, but a fun dungeon brawler. It just suffered from being named Castlevania, so expectations were pretty high. Oh, and poor writing. BLAH BLAH BLAH DEVIL FORGEMASTER BLAH BLAH BLAH INNOCENT DEVIL BLAH BLAH

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

The Lion King for the Genesis/Mega Drive. Pretty much the whole thing, but the stampede level is unacceptable. Whoever thought that camera angle was a good idea is clearly a bastard.
I recently found an old copy, and now I know why I never beat it as a kid. Because it's pure evil.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:49 am UTC

For bogus in terms of my own performance: SSBB last week, I was trying to clear Classic on Very Hard without continues. I reach Master Hand with two lives left. I get Master Hand down to about 120-ish HP and get KO'ed once. I proceed to rack up some damage but avoid being KO'ed until I have Master Hand down to 11 HP. I go for the kill... and Master Hand is left with 1HP, at which point I get hit and KO'ed.

I managed to pull it off the next day, though.

As for bogus in terms of design, I have to mention Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz's World 7 boss. For some insane reason, someone at Sega decided it was a good idea to keep the camera position collinear with your position and the boss's position. While all the controls are relative to the camera. And the World 7 boss has a tendency to jump around during the phase when it's vulnerable. And did I mention the bright red/orange background? OW MY EYES.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

The Prince of Persia games. One of the main features of it was YOU CAN TURN BACK TIME TO FIX YOUR MISTAKES. But if you turned it back a second too late, you just died again.

This video pretty much sums up the experience.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2665025855

Ipod Solitare, it's impossible ;/

oh god, especially on the new one. they put a betting system on it. HOW CAN YOU PUT MONEY ON A GAME YOU'RE GUARENTEED TO LOSE SOMETIMES? It's so frustrating. :(

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Playing the first Half-Life to the end and realizing that it doesn't have much of a story - just a collection of events.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

aaron wrote:oh god, especially on the new one. they put a betting system on it. HOW CAN YOU PUT MONEY ON A GAME YOU'RE GUARENTEED TO LOSE SOMETIMES? It's so frustrating. :(

Isn't that what all betting games are?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

aaron wrote:The Prince of Persia games. One of the main features of it was YOU CAN TURN BACK TIME TO FIX YOUR MISTAKES. But if you turned it back a second too late, you just died again.

Well, at least from the Sands of Time games on. The first three had no such mechanism.

Bogus Gaming Moment : Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas. Flying an airplane at high altitude and for whatever reason (being shot at, boredom, you're at your destination and don't want to bother with silly things like "safely landing") bailing out.

... and getting bugged as you do it, so rather than going in to FreeFall mode where you can actually deploy your parachute, simply screaming "ahh! Argh! Ahh! Noo! Ahh!" as you watch Carl helplessly plummet to his death.

Sure, sure, the hospital just patches you up and off you go with just a few hours lost, but still... Super Annoying.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Haha. The game system was designed specifically so you never have to level up. It's completely possible (and has been done) to beat the game while only getting some minimal amount of experience, since there's like three fights you HAVE to win by fighting. The rest can either be run from or won by CARDing all the enemies

Except these people who were cruising through the game at low levels without twinking suddenly get completely screwed at Sorceress Adell, since her minimum level is around 40 and all the enemies in that area are level 1. Of course, if you were actually at a high enough level, replacing your weapons and making full use of the junction system, it was a pretty easy fight.

Bogus moment: I Wanna Be The Guy. All of it. But specifically the part where you beat Dracula: He teleports to the centre of the stage (where you were most likely standing, killing you) and transforms into Waddle Doo.

Oh, and I have to repeat the Final Fantasy X hate. The Seymour battle at Gagazet and the Yunalesca fight frustrated me a lot. Jecht, however, wasn't that painful because by that time Tidus, Wakka and Rikku were quick attacking for 50,000 damage.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

Prince of Persia was smooth and cohesive, but the "rewind" trick was often very, very buggy. It's not just a function of activating it too late - far too often it would cut out for no reason and leave you dead.

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:00 am UTC

All of the following are good games, but...
AvP2, about half way through the human campaign. You find these two marines under attack by xenomorphs. You can try to help them (if you're fast), but until your friends die, the aliens just keep on respawning. :evil:

Halo 2, and not just because it didn't have an ending. The teaser trailer (where Master Chief jumps from orbit!) is cooler than anything that happened in game. I was also annoyed at how pathetic the invasion force actually was.

Half-Life 2. Mainly because of the lack of plot resolution.

Half-Life Opposing Force. Unless Valve plans on thawing out Cpl. Adrian Shepard in the episodes... :(

Unreal Tournament GOTY. For some reason, Orion's Barricade was removed from the single player campaign. The Agent-like abilities of the bots to dodge flak shards (and even rockets) seemed a bit odd, but had nothing on Xan's absurd skills. (If you got ahead, he would get much tougher. And even on novice campaigns, he was pushing godlike). UT2K4 had similar problems with the last level, but made it far too big for a proper 1v1. That the best move seemed to be hiding out and waiting for Xan/Malcom/whomever to fail to their deaths and time run out was annoying...

Oni. Lack of coherent plot, console style saving (no quick-saves. Or any sort of save-anywhere. Or even controllable save points.), and Mukade. His speed and mêlée skills, no problem. He's a boss and a ninja. Turning invisible and teleporting? See before, especially the ninja part. Hitpoints? Somewhat excessive, but he's a boss. Magic fireball that always tracks you, and will not stop trying until it hits you or him (walls only slow it down)? Wait, what? :evil:

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, when you no longer had the dagger. Especially with some of the jumping puzzles.
Why do you assume that I exist?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

Vandole wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Haha. The game system was designed specifically so you never have to level up. It's completely possible (and has been done) to beat the game while only getting some minimal amount of experience, since there's like three fights you HAVE to win by fighting. The rest can either be run from or won by CARDing all the enemies

Except these people who were cruising through the game at low levels without twinking suddenly get completely screwed at Sorceress Adell, since her minimum level is around 40 and all the enemies in that area are level 1. Of course, if you were actually at a high enough level, replacing your weapons and making full use of the junction system, it was a pretty easy fight.

That's just it, if you're playing the system right, you don't need to be any higher than base levels because you're junctioning correctly and building up your weapons such that the extra 40 points you get to your Magic stat for the levels are nothing compared to the 300 you're getting from spells.

Thadlerian

Re:

Postby Thadlerian » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

Endomorphic wrote:The conclusion of Freelancer.

Say the whole story, and I'm with you. I had been waiting for Freelancer for several years, watching wicked trailers and whatnot, expecting a game full of political intrigue, assasinations, backstabbing and corporate rivalry. And then you end up with the Privateer plot recycled: Find artifact, meet inexplicably evil aliens, find out how artifact works, kill aliens with artifact.

But the biggest bogus of Freelancer was that Digital Anvil broke pretty much all that they had promised: No living universe (AI ships disappear when docking or jumping), no influence of player's actions (static game after the end of the storyline, needs mod to even be able to destroy bases), no dynamic economy (fixed commodity prices). And you're forced to play through the story before you can actually start freelancing.

Samperson12345

Postby Samperson12345 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:04 am UTC

2nd boss in the original legend of Zelda game. I just felt sorry for the little dodongo, you know? I mean, it was just wandering around and then a guy in a green tunic comes in and kills it in two seconds. It wasn't even trying to attack you! That was the only time I've ever felt sorry for a boss.

SSJ3 Mario Brothers

Re:

Postby SSJ3 Mario Brothers » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

I'm sorry if someone has beat me to this, but:

SecondTalon wrote:The end of Half Life 2.

Blah blah blah Mr. Freeman.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

That's wonderful.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

I got Half-Life 2 with the Orange Box, so I didn't even see it as an ending, so much as a switch to a different game (i. e. Episode 1, If that wasn't clear)

i like pi

Re:

Postby i like pi » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Playing super smash bros. melee against peach. Peach is throwing turnips at me, and I'm catching them and throwing them back. Two of them collide and bounce off each other (as usual) but then somehow collide again immediately, bounce of again immediately, and continue doing so, never seperating on the screen. Somehow their collision makes both up, so the end result is both turnips floating up off the top of the screen making colliding turnip noises. The first time I saw this I laughed so fucking hard. Conservation of energy, schmonservation of energy!

If I remember correctly, thats something called a black hole. That is if I'm thinking the same thing as you described.

EDIT: Yeah forgot something relevant, so I will say... I was doing the main quest in Oblivion once, I got stuck in the walls of the ****ing chapel.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:00 am UTC

OK I thought I was good at UT2K4, but that damn last level! How i beat it was to wait till i was ahead, then went and hid behind this big pillar up topside and waited till time ran out. I felt cheap but that bastard was godlike...

> Unreal Tournament GOTY. For some reason, Orion's Barricade was removed from the single player campaign. The Agent-like > abilities of the bots to dodge flak shards (and even rockets) seemed a bit odd, but had nothing on Xan's absurd skills. (If you got ahead, he would get much tougher. And even on novice campaigns, he was pushing godlike). UT2K4 had similar problems with the last level, but made it far too big for a proper 1v1. That the best move seemed to be hiding out and waiting for Xan/Malcom/whomever to fail to their deaths and time run out was annoying...

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:51 am UTC

dbsmith wrote:OK I thought I was good at UT2K4, but that damn last level! How i beat it was to wait till i was ahead, then went and hid behind this big pillar up topside and waited till time ran out. I felt cheap but that bastard was godlike...

It's even cheaper than that. The boss will occasionally fall to his death, so you can still win even if you're behind when you start hiding...
Why do you assume that I exist?

Akula

Postby Akula » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Not a moment per say, but it involves video games, and upsets the fuck out of me.

I am a die hard New England Patriots fan. This past season I played a "preview" of each game as the Patriots against their next opponent, on All-Madden (highest difficulty), each week, on Madden on my 360. EVERY WEEK. And I won each game and the Patriots won each game. I especially trounced the New York Giants for the final game of the regular season. I beat the Jaguars, and the Patriots beat the Jaguars. I beat the Chargers, and the Patriots beat the Chargers. I was 18-0 and the Patriots were 18-0. I trounced the Giants earlier and wasn't hugely worried about losing.

AND THEN

My 360 went Red Ring of Death.

I think we all know how this story ends.

BOGUS.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Shizo

Re: Re:

Postby Shizo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:30 am UTC

i like pi wrote:Forgot something relevant, so I will say... I was doing the main quest in Oblivion once, I got stuck in the walls of the ****ing chapel.

At Kvetch, right?

CoD4 on Vacant wrote:I'm fucking spraying the goddamn wall with an RPD (Deep Impact, etc)and the bastard somehow survives, pops up and shoots me.

Half-Life 2 wrote:Blue Gravity Gun! Awesome! Wait, what? It's over? I just got the blue gravity gun, though. I've been waiting all game for something like this and it's only 10 minutes long? SIGGRAPH YOU, HALF-LIFE 2.

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Yeah. and I had to go all the way back to before closing the gate.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

So I get to the last level of Silent Hill, and I'm fighting the last boss. Turns out, you can't hit said boss with melee weapons, and I don't seem to have enough ammo to actually kill it with guns, so unless I wander through nowhere and actually manage to find a large cache of ammo or Harry suddenly decides to be a decent shot, I'm pretty much screwed.
Lame.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Basically all of the final days of my PS2, where it would randomly freeze or not load at all.

Also, I have a bad glitch on my Marvel: Ultimate Alliance game on the PSP--I can't load the Mandarin level. It either stays on the "loading" screen or shuts the system off. :cry:

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

argyl3 wrote:
Spoiler:

I am an bad awesome person and should feel bad awesome. But I don't awesome.

Fix.
I never formed any sort of unsavory attraction to Aeris like so many fans.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Nonmus

Postby Nonmus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:So I get to the last level of Silent Hill, and I'm fighting the last boss. Turns out, you can't hit said boss with melee weapons, and I don't seem to have enough ammo to actually kill it with guns, so unless I wander through nowhere and actually manage to find a large cache of ammo or Harry suddenly decides to be a decent shot, I'm pretty much screwed.
Lame.

IIRC, if you have absolutely no ammo as you go into the final boss fight, it will automatically fall over and die. Seems the demons are kind enough not to take advantage of a completely helpless opponent.
...he said, fully erect.

villadelfia

Re:

Postby villadelfia » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:39 am UTC

HSG wrote:Most frustrating? You know that point in Maxx Unlimited where there's a hold and then the music stops for a little bit but the arrow is still considered a miss if you step off of it? You know how that was that arrow was just the only thing standing between you and a AA? Yeah, fuck that arrow.

That's not the worst hard-to-hit arrow in my opinion. Take that arrow in 桜 heavy where the bpm is slowing down and literally just before said arrow, it slows down from 60 to 20 bpm for example, worst. arrow. ever.

Or in IIDX: CONTRACT [N], the only reason that song deserves to be an 8 is the last two measures... how're you supposed to do THAT?

Return to “Gaming”