Borderlands 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Borderlands 2

Postby eculc » Wed May 02, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Because there isn't a thread for it yet, and it's only about 5 months away.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWJUSulnro
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Lostdreams

Re: Borderlands 2

Postby Lostdreams » Wed May 02, 2012 7:32 pm UTC

Want.

The multiplayer co-op fights look they might be a lot more involved now, rather than the point gun at head and unload clip, reload, repeat.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

Can't wait!

Coin

Postby Coin » Thu May 03, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

What's with the change of music though? I much prefer Cage the elephant to this new dubstep-sound...
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Fri May 04, 2012 1:11 am UTC

Lostdreams wrote:The multiplayer co-op fights look they might be a lot more involved now, rather than the point gun at head and unload clip, reload, repeat.

The Crawmerax fight was already like that—sort of a raid boss kind of feel. It would be sweet if they made more fights like that one.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri May 04, 2012 3:14 am UTC

Coin wrote:What's with the change of music though? I much prefer Cage the elephant to this new dubstep-sound...

keep in mind, the original trailer (the one from E3) had a techno theme to it. I'm not sure what they'll be doing for their music; TBH, I'm not even sure what borderlands itself did with its music.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri May 04, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
Lostdreams wrote:The multiplayer co-op fights look they might be a lot more involved now, rather than the point gun at head and unload clip, reload, repeat.

The Crawmerax fight was already like that—sort of a raid boss kind of feel. It would be sweet if they made more fights like that one.

There should have been more in the first game. That was the only nonstandard fight out of the retail game and 4 DLC packs, unless you count
Spoiler:
the vault boss' tendrils
but they aren't really required to kill it you still are just shooting the one weakspot.
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri May 04, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

eculc wrote:
Coin wrote:What's with the change of music though? I much prefer Cage the elephant to this new dubstep-sound...

keep in mind, the original trailer (the one from E3) had a techno theme to it. I'm not sure what they'll be doing for their music; TBH, I'm not even sure what borderlands itself did with its music.

The only thing I remember about the music in Borderlands is that there ain't no rest for the wicked. And, of course, that money don't grow on trees. As everyone knows, it actually grows on Skags, Rakk and Bandits, and can only be harvested with bullets.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri May 04, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

Bloodwing and Brick's fists can also cause money to erupt from enemies.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri May 04, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

also, grenades and/or...more grenades. and getting run over with a car.

...do rockets count as bullets?

anyways, I'm a fan of dubstep, so that just makes the trailer even better. I'm looking forward to playing zero (zer0?). I mean, He's a robot ninja with a badass sword. how can you NOT like that?

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

They've stated there will be no dubstep in Borderlands 2, that was just the 'marketing trailer'. Outsie off the that though, they stated in the trailer as well. "90% more wub wub" or whatever. 90% more of 0 is still 0. The new Siren ability looks awesome, but I predict the game is going to end up like 50% Zero's, 25% Sirens, and next to none of the other 2.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri May 04, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

well, I know my friend is looking at nothing but salvador. He's to entranced by the idea dual-wielding rocket launchers to think of anything else at this point. My second choice would have to be...whatever his name is, the new soldier.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri May 04, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

IIRC the dubstep was a joke playing on the fact that dubstep is recently very popular in game trailers.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:35 am UTC

so not long until this is out now.

Who's pre-ordered? I couldn't resist pre-ordering, mostly for the mechromancer class, but I suspect that mechromancer and possibly even other classes may be released as DLC, which would be awesome i think the more classes the better, and it would act to distinguish this game from the first even more than it already is.

My main concern is that it took me like 18 months of playing on and off to complete the first game, and I have less free time now than I did back then, :| maybe if I play co-op more, I can complete it faster.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

I have preordered (as of about 2 months ago) and am ready for release!

Re: not enough time: I never actually finished the original game (or even got more than halfway through it with a single character) until ~2 weeks ago, when me and a few friends decided to play through the story + DLC packs through completely to prepare for the release. in other words, don't sweat it, as long as you have fun playing the game. also: BRING FRIENDS.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:45 pm UTC

lol, it wasn't until I got the DLC that I really fell in love with the first game, if ever there was a game that has really great DLC, Borderlands is it. Although I hope Bl2 is as good as the first game plus DLC, out of the box.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:24 am UTC

Preordred here as well. Looking forward to Zer0 though I like the soldier's new turrets. Managed to get my friends interested in it and got the 4-pack on Steam.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:49 am UTC

I have the preorder, plan on playing Siren to start, as it was my favorite class in the first.
AvatarIII wrote:lol, it wasn't until I got the DLC that I really fell in love with the first game, if ever there was a game that has really great DLC, Borderlands is it. Although I hope Bl2 is as good as the first game plus DLC, out of the box.
This is surprising to me. I thought most of the DLC's for the first were crap. Zombies was way too travel heavy and killing zombies is overdone. The second was just an arena of shooting with crap loot. Not bad, but doing a set took too long I thought. The third was great. General Knoxx is one of the best DLCs ever, and the 4th was just a let down after the 3rd. Didn't feel like there was a lot of great content to it.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:26 am UTC

The only one I didn't really like was the 2nd one. the rest were good, although the 3rd was definitely the best--although they could have stripped out quite a bit of the driving we had to do to get from place to place.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:21 am UTC

I didn't care for Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, I'm not a fan of arena games, I much prefer missions and objectives to body-count. It's only redeeming quality (IMO of course) was the storage bank. Well, the bank and the vending machines that I could hit early on and usually get some good gear. I used T Bone Junction the same way, got a good shield there.

Zombie Island got repetitive, but then again zombies are repetitive. The Defilers and their sticky vomit were just annoying, and finding 200+ brains for
Spoiler:
Zombie T.K.
wasn't even remotely worthwhile. The travel in itself didn't bother me, the sticky vomit just made it harder to get through.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 am UTC

ProZac wrote:I have the preorder, plan on playing Siren to start, as it was my favorite class in the first.
AvatarIII wrote:lol, it wasn't until I got the DLC that I really fell in love with the first game, if ever there was a game that has really great DLC, Borderlands is it. Although I hope Bl2 is as good as the first game plus DLC, out of the box.
This is surprising to me. I thought most of the DLC's for the first were crap. Zombies was way too travel heavy and killing zombies is overdone. The second was just an arena of shooting with crap loot. Not bad, but doing a set took too long I thought. The third was great. General Knoxx is one of the best DLCs ever, and the 4th was just a let down after the 3rd. Didn't feel like there was a lot of great content to it.

I think the best thing about Zombie Island was the tone and design, I agree killing zombies can be boring, but I still enjoyed it, The arena was boring especially since I barely played any Co-op, but the storage bank was invaluable. and I thought the last 2 DLCs were fine as an extension of the main story, I definitely agree that Knoxx was the best, although the driving was boring.

although saying that, the DLCs added to the game because they added a lot of variety to the main game, which was mostly wasteland and caves and a few shanty towns and even less military bases.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:Preordred here as well. Looking forward to Zer0 though I like the soldier's new turrets. Managed to get my friends interested in it and got the 4-pack on Steam.
It's cheaper on Amazon, even the 4-pack. :P

2 weeks is too far away. :(

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Dauric wrote:Preordred here as well. Looking forward to Zer0 though I like the soldier's new turrets. Managed to get my friends interested in it and got the 4-pack on Steam.
It's cheaper on Amazon, even the 4-pack. :P

Its always cheaper somewhere else after you buy it. It's a corollary to Murphy's Law, and why it's a law not a theory.

2 weeks is too far away. :(

Agreed.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:Its always cheaper somewhere else after you buy it. It's a corollary to Murphy's Law, and why it's a law not a theory.
I dunno, it's been cheaper for a few months, I ordered a single a while back. Though I'm not sure Amazon had the 4-pack (or the DLC season pass) up till more recently. I hadn't been looking when I went to pre-order at the time.

Oh, and if anyone hasn't seen this yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJ1Ho55_hM

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:12 pm UTC

can't you cancel the pre-order and order it cheaper at Amazon anyway?
Or does Steam not let you do that? (I've never pre-ordered anything on Steam so wouldn't know)

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:38 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:can't you cancel the pre-order and order it cheaper at Amazon anyway?
Or does Steam not let you do that? (I've never pre-ordered anything on Steam so wouldn't know)

I preordered on steam when it went up at the discounted $54. Begrudgingly, because they didn't have the 4-pack for a better discount. Sure enough, 1 day later, they added a 4-pack. I emailed them asking for a refund explaining I wanted in the 4-pack, and they refunded me. I'm pretty sure it's in their terms that they offer no refunds though.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

"It" being cheaper after you buy it applies to pretty much everything. It's my usual snark after someone says "but it's cheaper elsewhere" after I've bought it. Someone always finds anything cheaper and informs you about it -after- you've made the purchase.

Amazon is $20 cheaper, about $5 a head, not worth the hassle of coordinating the return and re-ordering through a different vendor. If it was just me so I wouldn't have to explain and coordinate the change in plans, or if it was significantly more savings per person I'd consider it. This is why I get snarky about "but it's cheaper elsewhere". Sure it's price tag is modestly cheaper, but it's an increased hassle to change over and it's not necessarily worth it in time or effort.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I'm pretty sure it's in their terms that they offer no refunds though.
Does that mean Steam bills immediately for pre-order items?

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

While I had never considered that's different from most... yes, they do.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

Amazon don't charge until dispatch, and they charge you the cheapest it ever was between the time if preorderand the time if delivery. Meaning if it goes down after ordering you save money, and if it goes up you don't spend more than you've agreed.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

^Yup, why I like to pre-order from them over other places generally, also $.99 release date delivery for boxed games.
ProZac wrote:While I had never considered that's different from most... yes, they do.
It's becoming more standard to do so, Impluse shifted towards it after Gamestop bought it, not sure about GoG or most other distribution systems. I can usually understand it if there are bonuses available immediately (like pre-order this sequel, get the original now) but for a digital copy of just the game it doesn't make much sense. I just avoid pre-ordering most things more than a day out nowadays because of it.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

Can someone list what the pre-order bonus is? blocked at work, and forgetful at home.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 pm UTC

Guns. Free Mechromancer class DLC. Exp booster item. And a key to open an in-game chest (likely with weapons in it).

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

If you pre-order from Gamestop you also get the Creature Slaughter Dome.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

Zapheod wrote:If you pre-order from Gamestop you also get the Creature Slaughter Dome.

Given the reaction in this thread to BL1's Underdome I don't think that yet another dedicated arena is really that strong a selling point.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

It might be fun if it isn't as broken as the one in the first game was. I tried to complete all the contests for it once, and after spending 3 hours with a (modded) infinite shield and an (again modded) instant-kill assault rifle without completing them, I gave up and haven't played since. if it's fair, then I might actually play, but that was just brutal.

Wesley Foxx

Postby Wesley Foxx » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:08 am UTC

The only reason to get Moxxi is to get access to the bank and the exceptionally good vendors. It comes 'free' with the GOTY edition, so why not.

I was given the original game by a friend who wanted to play co op with me, and I then gave a copy to another friend who I wanted to play with. All three of us ran through the entire campaign and all the DLC (semi-except Moxxi, which we did one map of and said fuck that noise. No experience, junk loot, and way too fucking long, a total of 750 motherfucking waves all for ONE additional skill point, who would even consider that worth it.) and just finished a couple hours ago actually.
The 'grandpa' borderlands giver playing a sniper-rifles-only hunter, me playing a medic/support spec soldier with clip-size boosting Support Gunner, maining a Raven combat rifle, Desert Bulldog, a Defiler revolver and Sledge's shotgun (because breaking the game is fun), and the 'kid' first time player as a Firefly siren who melts the shit out of everything flammable with her Hellfire and fuckoff-powerful acid rocket launcher and also carrying Sledge for sequence-breaking and chest-grabbing.

Sadly, the third player's PC can only just handle regular Borderlands (her graphics card woes are a story in themselves, including additional capacitors exploding an entire week after being removed from the system after the first one popped) so it'll just be me and the longtime player doing the sequel together. He's going to be running longbow-sticky-turret-shenanigans Axton, I'll be running healer-and-elemental-facerape Maya. (Still a little peeved that they made the token chick the healer, but at least you can still heal people by shooting them in the face with rocket launchers)
Liberty. Reason. Justice. Civility. Edification. Perfection.

MAIL.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:00 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Guns. Free Mechromancer class DLC. Exp booster item. And a key to open an in-game chest (likely with weapons in it).

Thanks!

Dauric wrote:
Zapheod wrote:If you pre-order from Gamestop you also get the Creature Slaughter Dome.

Given the reaction in this thread to BL1's Underdome I don't think that yet another dedicated arena is really that strong a selling point.

Yeah, agreed. I kinda want to get it(ooh, shiny free stuff!) but then think - it's not free. I can get BL2 from Amazon with no tax. I'd have to pay tax at Gamestop, and just not sure it's worth it. Also, Gamestop annoys me.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

I never liked the firefly mod as a siren. even though fire SMGs were fun (read: combustion hellfire FTW) I still like my Savior, so I stuck with a mercenary mod for the entire game.

actually, at this point I think the only character I haven't played is brick. I might have to try that out this week.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

Brick was the only guy I didn't enjoy. His special ability seemed to be 'get too close to the enemy so you can't really see what's going on, then die.'

Return to “Gaming”