Elder Scrolls Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kulantan

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Postby Kulantan » Fri May 03, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Ah that explains a lot/at least something. Sorry, I saw Aldmeri Dominion and assumed post Skyrim.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 am UTC

You can sign up for the beta at http://elderscrollsonline.com/

Nijn

Postby Nijn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:36 pm UTC

I've participated in the beta during the weekend. I must say that for me it didn't really feel like an elder scroll game.. The tutorial part, it was just to fancy and not medieval enough. Plus having to pay monthly for it isn't my cup of tea.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

I also did this thing, and honestly, it felt like a very, very buggy skyrim. I know, beta, a certain tolerance for bugs is advised, but I ran across DOZENS of different bugs in the few hours I could play. Not minor, hard to find shit either. Like, 20% of the time, the game crashed on login. I feel like someone should have noticed that before now. Serious graphics bugs. When every frigging crab has polygon beacons stretched far into the sky, I didn't even bother relogging, because some variant on this happened basically constantly. There were broken quests...I finished everything on starter island, getting around most quest issues by relogging, etc, but an NPC I needed to talk to for the storyline quest vanished, relogging didn't fix it, and I stopped giving a shit. Was annoyed, as I really wanted to see Daggerfall and get to check out higher level stuff.

Combat is facerollingly easy. Recipie collection is mostly tedious, based on random drops. So, you keep getting the same stupid recipie endlessly. Meh. The world seems really dreary. I'm getting a little tired of "realistic" meaning drab. I realize Skyrim isn't the most colorful of settings, but still.

Biggest thing is the endless bugs, though. A month to launch, it shouldn't be this screwed.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:a very, very buggy skyrim

So, Skyrim then? ;)

(Not making excuses, but isn't it kind of a tradition for Elder Scrolls games to be hilariously buggy at launch? <_<)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

take out the "at launch" part maybe. Half of the optimization of gear in elder scrolls games revolves around bugs, exploits, buggy exploits, and making moral judgements about developer intent.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

It's important to note that if you were in the recent Beta Weekend, you were NOT playing the most recent build of the game. I've absolutely no idea why they would do it that way, but they weren't really interested in bug-fixing, just stress-testing their servers. From what I've found from folks in the actual beta, it's much better as far as bugs go.

I'm really torn on ESO. Good for an MMO, awful for an Elder Scrolls game. Though, I love the setting itself, and I'm pretty psyched that simply by playing three characters to level 6 across all the Factions, I went to like 4 distinctly different islands or continents (Tyndmyr -- some of them are bland, but some of them -- the High Elf place in particular -- is VERY vibrant. Really depends on which faction you are).

Combat was really easy, though as I got to the end of the weekend, my highest level character (a whopping 7) was running in to difficult stuff. Though I was doing quests that were yellow, so that could factor.

EDIT: All in all, I can't really say much as I never got very far; I wanted to try all the classes and didn't have a lot of time. Basic formula for MMOs based off of another game still holds, though: Original Game - Content - Features + Other People = MMO version.

My biggest complaint was how they handled phasing. At first I thought it was too much, but then I felt it wasn't enough. They had some genuinely interesting stories, but it was rather ruined when I walked in on some cool NPC being assassinated while there was a PC standing next to a survivor of the event (which he's already witnessed), jumping around the screen.

At the end of the day, though, I guess the biggest indicator for me is that I wish the beta was still going.

Anyone do any of the PVP, by the way? Never got a chance.

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:My biggest complaint was how they handled phasing. At first I thought it was too much, but then I felt it wasn't enough. They had some genuinely interesting stories, but it was rather ruined when I walked in on some cool NPC being assassinated while there was a PC standing next to a survivor of the event (which he's already witnessed), jumping around the screen.

The phasing really gets to me too, it's especially bad if you try and group with people. I tried to play with my brother for a bit but if you don't keep in perfect sync thing get wacky. I remember at one point he finished talking to an NPC faster than I did and suddenly disappeared from my screen and started taking damage. I didn't know what was going on until I also finished talking to the NPC and then combat started. But we still weren't quite in sync so I had to complete the objectives while watching him complete them just a bit ahead of me.

Basically it really did not feel like we were a party doing a quest together, it was more like we just both happened to be doing the same quests and had a private chat channel.

Overall there's really nothing I find overly compelling about ESO. Certainly nothing that makes me want to purchase a box and then pay $15 a month for it.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:a very, very buggy skyrim

So, Skyrim then? ;)

(Not making excuses, but isn't it kind of a tradition for Elder Scrolls games to be hilariously buggy at launch? <_<)

Sort of. However, I note that Bethesda is taking care to distance themselves from this game. When it's too buggy for Bethesda to want to be associated with it...goddamn.

I'm also not a huge fan of phasing, but that's at least an intended feature. It does result in some oddities, though, that kind of hurt realism.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

I'm playing the last beta weekend before launch, and everyone on the server is complaining about bugs, but... everything's running pretty smoothly for me, all in all. Some of the characters speak the wrong line of dialogue, some of the search animations are skipping, and sometimes repetitive NPC voices tend to boom around the city. Having Michael Gambon constantly repeating the warning about the baelborn in Daggerfall really wrenches you out of any disbelief-suspension you may have enthrust upon your gaming experience. Also having 100 people with ridiculous names a-leaping like lords around town doesn't help, either.

As with Oblivion and Skyrim, I can't get to grips with American accents and modern-day Americanisms in the dialogue. In Fallout? Fine. It's set in the US. In Tamriel? Doesn't work. It's like hearing someone from Noo Joisey recite Shakespeare, bringing a sportsball smack-talk mentality with it. I suppose this won't really resonate with Americans.

Still, despite having all o' the single-player games on this very PC, I can't say that I was ever a true fan of The Elder Scrolls in general (I think Morrowind was the only game I ever invested myself in) and as the lore doesn't particularly interest me (I skim-read all the lorebook pages at best) I can't see myself purchasing this. Also The opening tutorial island is a little bizarre. It's as if Bilbo goes back to get his handkerchief after all, and finds a Stargate in the basement of Bag End that leads him directly to Tron. Smashing laser-show sci-fi with medieval fantasy rarely coalesces peacefully, and this is no exception, I feel.

The game is very pretty! But then again, so is Skyrim. Does it really need the addition of Geth'elsior III the Undying Mage and WeedSmokerGeneral accompanying you through various dungeons?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Koa

Postby Koa » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:51 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:As with Oblivion and Skyrim, I can't get to grips with American accents and modern-day Americanisms in the dialogue. In Fallout? Fine. It's set in the US. In Tamriel? Doesn't work. It's like hearing someone from Noo Joisey recite Shakespeare, bringing a sportsball smack-talk mentality with it. I suppose this won't really resonate with Americans.

I don't think it's so much about the particular dominating nationalism represented in the voice acting as it is that it represents any nationality at all because it's a very different world with its own deep cultural roots. I think we all miss the raspy Dunmer or the cheeky Bosmer of Morrowind. It's always disappointing for me to hear a Dunmer sound American or British or anything else. When moving forward with the series they went for the far simpler approach of making all the races sound like common people and removed their identity such that any voice could be used for any race.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

Awfully quiet. Anyone playing this as of yet? Early access should be open to everyone that pre-ordered I think now, though I've been playing since Sunday.

I'm having fun, though I'm mostly treating it a lot like a massively single player elder scrolls game as of yet. Not really sure what the group content is supposed to be other than too many people being shoved into a tiny instance.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:35 pm UTC

It has its share of bugs and issues, but beyond that, this game is actually pretty damn good.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:21 pm UTC

I'm having fun. Up to level 35.

Dungeons and stuff are fun, still haven't tried any PvP though.

Crafting is... quite the time sink (also, training your horse). Literally months to max out research on clothing, though I'm trying to mostly specialize in light armor.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:08 pm UTC

I started playing with some friends. They are all around level 42, I am level 7 -- but I own a horse.

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm more of a power gamer so not really reading all the lore -- and not a huge fan of basically lore quests where you talk to people. But I love my character

Orc DragonKnight -- focusing on DPS with some tankiness.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:44 pm UTC

It's on sale on Steam for 20 bucks, I picked it up and have poked at it a little bit. It seems very promising, though I'm not sure what the end game content or grind to it is really like. I like the build flexibility.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:25 pm UTC

So... anyone still play this? I likewise picked it up in a Steam sale and am enjoying it so far, but it would be nice to have a guild of some people I know (or at least who I'm vaguely familiar with) to do multiplayer content with.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:46 am UTC

I was playing for a bit, but it really just fell flat for me, and I stopped. The build flexibility isn't, the classes are pretty poorly balanced, etc, etc.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:00 am UTC

I rolled a sorcerer to be a mageblade, because you can be one in other elder scroll games, and it just can't be done in this game because most of the sorcerer skill strees don't have stamina morphs, and most importantly, you don't have a spammable stamina spender like nightblade/dragon knight. You have an entire daedric summoning line, yet none of your summons can scale with stamina or weapon damage, making it a dead line.

What's worse, the game has 5 skill slots only with weaponswap for a second bar, and for some idiotic reason summon spells are toggles that you need to have on both bars, so if you run a daedric summoning build, you're playing with 2-3 active buttons only, so you have no flexibility at all because every build requires upkeep combat buffs like attack power increase, aoe skills, cc skills, and mobility skills; and these ridiculous toggles just eat up 4 od your 10 total skill slots.

The biggest detractor by far to me is that in order to do optimal DPS in endgame, you HAVE TO animation cancel. Animation cancelling is a nonstarter for me in any game; I don't want to clip my character animations and be at the mercy of ping/latency issues impacting my DPS.

I had a lot of fun questing, it's very RP friendly and it has the strong narrative and immersion you would expect from an elder scrolls universe.

But for endgame, the class balance simply isn't there, and there's no build variety. They have a rather negligent development team, as balance patches don't happen except around every 6-7 months, and it's meager balance passes that don't address what needs to be addressed.

It's a pity, really. The game is really friendly to people who want to RP while leveling and doing the vanilla areas, but the endgame isn't.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Return to “Gaming”