Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:30 pm UTC

It looks technically proficient and well-designed, but it's unfortunate that it uses that engine and therefore art style.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:50 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:It looks technically proficient and well-designed, but it's unfortunate that it uses that engine and therefore art style.

I saw some posts last night about that only being an animation, as opposed to ingame footage or anything, but I can't comment on the validity of that.

I personally like that art style though, it's a nice departure from the more gritty style of so many other games.

[EDIT] Alright, now that I've watched the full video, it is an animation. But still a ^ing epic one. Like they said in the video, they aren't going for realism. They're going for awesome.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:05 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:It looks technically proficient and well-designed, but it's unfortunate that it uses that engine and therefore art style.

From what they say on the kickstarter page, the engine is a new engine, just created by a team who worked on total annihilation and supreme commander, so i'm not sure what you mean.

I also think the art style is great, fits the game perfectly from what I've seen.

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

I actually really like the art style. Realistic wouldn't work anyway, because the planets are way too small to considered anywhere near realistic. I do hope the actual game is going to be roughly like that video. I still remember the first time I saw the E3 trailer of Supreme Commander and was blown away by it. This video did kinda the same to me.
I would pledge, but I don't have a credit card, so there's that...

Apparently, the're also only going with 1 faction. Don't of any other RTS that does this.
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 pm UTC

Here's a thing I imagine some people will be interested in.
Tenra Bansho Zero - An Art and Culture-Rich RPG from Japan
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:16 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Here's a thing I imagine some people will be interested in.

Of course this has to happen when I'm broke... now I'm broker...

I had a friend who had gotten the original Japanese edition when he was in Japan and he brought he books over to a session to show them off. Couldn't read the rules but the artwork was absolutely beautiful and so wonderfully different from all the medieval European inspired gaming materials. I'm happy to get the chance to get my hands on them, and in a language I can read no less.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:21 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Here's a thing I imagine some people will be interested in.

So glad I randomly checked out this thread, it looks amazing. I've always been interested in these RPG systems which use interesting storytelling techniques and I've always loved Japanese mythology as well. Noticing references to Myouren in the art of that video just warms me inside, haha.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

Monte Cook (of D&D 3e fame) is kickstarting a new game system + setting. Looks really cool - it's set IN THE YEAR ONE BILLION, with tech + magic + future + medieval all mashed together: Numenera: A new roleplaying game from Monte Cook

It's already *well* over-funded, but I'm gonna hit it just for the source book. Even though I haven't played D&D in years, buying source books just to read (*especially* ones written by Monte - Arcana Unearthed was a pure joy) is always a good investment.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:22 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:Monte Cook (of D&D 3e fame) is kickstarting a new game system + setting. Looks really cool - it's set IN THE YEAR ONE BILLION, with tech + magic + future + medieval all mashed together: Numenera: A new roleplaying game from Monte Cook

It's already *well* over-funded, but I'm gonna hit it just for the source book. Even though I haven't played D&D in years, buying source books just to read (*especially* ones written by Monte - Arcana Unearthed was a pure joy) is always a good investment.

I'm getting poorer and poorer.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:27 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Xanthir wrote:Monte Cook (of D&D 3e fame) is kickstarting a new game system + setting. Looks really cool - it's set IN THE YEAR ONE BILLION, with tech + magic + future + medieval all mashed together: Numenera: A new roleplaying game from Monte Cook

Only monetarily.
I looked out across the river today …

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:

I'm here to join the poverty club.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:23 pm UTC

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179 ... nding_soon

This seems like a neat Uno-like game. Debating whether to spend $20 on something I will probably never play.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1395306345/games-save-the-world
It is an eight year old who is making a game called Monster Crabs. His father saw it as a great opportunity to teach his son about how business works.

Plus it has monster crabs.
418 I'm a teapot

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

I know this has been talked about already, but the link's on the last page, and so I'm going to post it again: Planetary Annihilation. Specifically, the Galactic War stretch goal.

It's not quite clear what that is- is it the space version of Total War, where you have a galactic map and then do skirmishes in solar systems? Or is it just "hey, play a bunch of connected skirmish games!"? Or is it a way to do a multiplayer game with, say, 32 people, each battling one or two other people at a time in a shifting mass of factions and alliances?

The first and third sound awesome, the second sounding just okay.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

Huzzahs and hurroos, the Broken Sword 5 kickstarter has reached its target. I'm hoping the $650,000 stretch goal will be reached so more gameplay gets added.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

Shit. I hadn't realized there was a 4. I just recently played 2 & 3 for the first time.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

There's a fourth game? I'm 100% sure they jumped straight from 2 to 5.

I think a spin-off pair of games were made, where the character of George was replaced Boxy McPull-Pushington, who lived up to his moniker and spent the entire game pulling and/or pushing boxes. Sometimes he pushed boxes in order to reach a higher floor with more boxes that required pushing!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

Yeah. Box puzzles got super old in 3. Does 4 have more of the same? Maybe I won't expend any effort to track it down.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:I know this has been talked about already, but the link's on the last page, and so I'm going to post it again: Planetary Annihilation. Specifically, the Galactic War stretch goal.

It's not quite clear what that is- is it the space version of Total War, where you have a galactic map and then do skirmishes in solar systems? Or is it just "hey, play a bunch of connected skirmish games!"? Or is it a way to do a multiplayer game with, say, 32 people, each battling one or two other people at a time in a shifting mass of factions and alliances?

I'm assuming that it's either the first or third as well.

as a tangential point, that whole "space version of total war" thing? yeah, that game already exists, provided that you like (or at least don't dislike) star wars.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Does 4 have more of the same? Maybe I won't expend any effort to track it down.

I couldn't actually play it until a few months ago, despite having owned it since 2006. There was a bug where multi-core processors would render all the characters as silhouettes, making the game unplayable. There were workarounds (set CPU usage to one core, restart, play game) but I never went to that length. It was only recently they deigned to fix it, so I'm about 1/3 of the way through at the mo. It's not bad. I haven't quite got the endorphin-spill rush of solving a puzzle I've been stuck on for ages yet, but I'm willing to give it more time*. I'll have more of a review as and when I complete it.

*I think I've become so impatient as an adult, thanks to the instantisation of everything, that I no longer relish having my mind bent for such a long period of time.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

eculc wrote:as a tangential point, that whole "space version of total war" thing? yeah, that game already exists, provided that you like (or at least don't dislike) star wars.
I was very much not impressed by it's demo when it came out. Its ground battles aren't very interesting.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:I know this has been talked about already, but the link's on the last page, and so I'm going to post it again: Planetary Annihilation. Specifically, the Galactic War stretch goal.

From what I read about it it sounds like it will be each solar system is a game, so instead of a scripted campaign they will use the galactic war for the single player missions. so probably the space version of Total War (never played it, but sounds like it from this description)
Also, there is talk of having it multiplayer with different factions battling for complete control of the galaxy, not sure how that will work, but could be very interesting as long as enough players are playing at any one time.
I am of the understanding that it will NOT be lots of skirmishes happening at the same time that one player controls.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

In other stale Kickstarter news, I just found out that Carmageddon's getting a reboot. I like the video.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:14 pm UTC

Wow, as excited as I am for Planetary Annihilation, I really didn't expect it to hit $2.1 million, that's pretty awesome.

Now I can't wait for the beta.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 pm UTC

Obsidian Entertainment is putting out a new isometric party-based RPG.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... t-eternity

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Obsidian Entertainment is putting out a new isometric party-based RPG.

Pretty sure I just had a nerdgasm.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:59 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Wow, as excited as I am for Planetary Annihilation, I really didn't expect it to hit $2.1 million, that's pretty awesome.

Now I can't wait for the beta.
Thanks to a poorly timed meeting today, I ended up not being on the internet at the end of its funding period, and so am locked into my current pledge forever. Grr. I wanted to at least get another key to throw at people. (It is probably a good thing I didn't get another chance to splurge on the custom commander, though.)

pseudoidiot wrote:Obsidian Entertainment is putting out a new isometric party-based RPG.
That felt half awesome and half meh. When they were listing all of the games they had worked on, and only a handful of them are games I would want to play again, and then they talk about the nostalgia value, I get a little worried.

Like, there are lots of great things about Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Fallout! I just don't play them any more, because they're super old and not fun compared to modern games. So here's hoping this will be more similar to New Vegas than Fallout 2. (I'm fine with the visual aesthetic being old-school, just not the gameplay and expectations.)

(Also, completion date of April 2014? That's quite a bit further back than other games I've noticed.)
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:11 am UTC

Remember Pro Pinball? If you don't, they're generously giving away one of their video game pinball tables on their new Kickstarter, and for just two bucks you can get two of their pinball tables too. They really should have set the bar higher; I don't know if they're going to make it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179 ... remastered

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:37 am UTC

About two days left on this, and it's been *crazy*. From what I understand, it's already by far the highest-funded RPG project so far, and they've hit a simply ridiculous number of stretch goals. Seriously, just look at the $50 ebook level - you get a fuck-ton of stuff now ($60 gets you a physical book instead, + all the PDF stuff) (well, except for the kickstarter-exclusive adventure - that takes $70 if you want it with the physical book).

There's a ton of add-ons now, too, including a special set of dice that reflect the games mechanics well (not strictly necessary - a d20, d%, and d6 will do), a special high-quality leather-bound version of the core book for +$60, and a bunch more.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:36 pm UTC

How the crap does tax work for kickstarter? I know they call it 'rewards' for funding. but you'd have to think getting all this loot is taxable at some point.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

I'm not certain, but I think in the U.S. prizes and gifts are only federally taxable if the value is greater than $600 (maybe it's $1000).
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:33 am UTC

At a guess I'd think that taxes on funds raised through kickstarter are taxed as sales taxes, which are frequently not enforced through a lack of ways to collect said taxes in online transactions. Colorado recently (2010) tried to enact legislation to collect on these 'use taxes', but the law was voided by the federal district court.

Wall Street Journal article on online sales tax problems that has more specific details about the issue.

Denver Post article on Colorado's attempt at enacting an online sales tax law

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

Well, got drunk last night and funded two or three things. Not entirely sure what. I guess it will be a surprise when I get some rewards.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:($60 gets you a physical book instead, + all the PDF stuff)

Thanks for mentioning that, I didn't realise that was just slightly above the $50 reward tier and now I'm even poorer.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:

Thanks for mentioning that, I didn't realise that was just slightly above the $50 reward tier and now I'm even poorer.

It sounds like you, sir, need to be made aware of the +$60 addon that upgrades that book into a deluxe high-quality leatherbound version. Very classy.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:

It sounds like you, sir, need to be made aware of the +$60 addon that upgrades that book into a deluxe high-quality leatherbound version. Very classy.

Too poor for that.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:52 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Well, got drunk last night and funded two or three things. Not entirely sure what. I guess it will be a surprise when I get some rewards.

or you could click on the "Me" thing on the right side of the top bar, and go to "My Profile" to see what it is that you've backed. :)

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:32 pm UTC

Soralin wrote:
emceng wrote:Well, got drunk last night and funded two or three things. Not entirely sure what. I guess it will be a surprise when I get some rewards.

or you could click on the "Me" thing on the right side of the top bar, and go to "My Profile" to see what it is that you've backed. :)

Bah, that would ruin the surprise.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

Democracy: Majority Rules by Mark Rein-Hagen (you might know him from White Wolf).

Looks kind of interesting. Not really my type of board game, so I don't think I'll be backing it, but I figured there'd be some folks here that might be interested in it enough to kick in.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:42 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Remember Pro Pinball? If you don't, they're generously giving away one of their video game pinball tables on their new Kickstarter, and for just two bucks you can get two of their pinball tables too. They really should have set the bar higher; I don't know if they're going to make it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179 ... remastered
How sad. They really can't make it now.

Return to “Gaming”