Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Re: Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:15 am UTC

Nova Praxis is a transhumanist RPG using a modified FATE system. It looks to me like a much lighter Eclipse Phase, which is certainly a good thing if you ask me.
418 I'm a teapot

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 am UTC

One of my favorite series of books, Monster Hunter International*, is getting a tabletop RPG based on the Hero Games system. Only one day in and the project is more than 50% funded. I'm excited.

*I totally have a blurb on the cover of that book. Squee!
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:58 am UTC

Here's an Indiegogo for The Quiet Year from the same guy that did Monsterhearts.

I really like how the video was done. The game is intriguing. I'm not quite sold on the game, but the pdf is only $5 so I may at least grab that much.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:40 pm UTC

wish kickstarter allowed you to pledge time, effort and code instead of just stupid money :(
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:58 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:wish kickstarter allowed you to pledge time, effort and code instead of just stupid money :(
Then you'd just have another hopelessly uncoordinated open source project. You don't see wonderful things emerging from Planeshift, do you?

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

Chris Roberts, creator of Wing Commander, Privateer, etc. is making a new game, Star Citizen, in the style of Wing Commander and Privateer. :)

Press:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10 ... n-preview/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ar-citizen
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/star-ci ... ur-dreams/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ga ... en-preview

There's a preview video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqIC2B9UVPM

And the main site here, with some longer videos and more detail and such:
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/

Seems that he's doing a round of kickstarterish funding on his own site (which was down for a while under the load, but seems to be back up now), in addition to some private investment.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

This looks like a pretty interesting idea: Magicians: A Language Learning RPG

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:28 am UTC

Look like Star Citizen has a kickstarter page up now too, that seems to be doing well: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen I guess having their own page overwhelmed for a few days made them reconsider having a kickstarter page. :)

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

Did you like Quest for Glory? Of course you did. The creators of QfG are kickstarting a new CRPG.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:38 pm UTC

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/181 ... rld-combat

Cthulhu World Combat: a colourful Lovecraft themed turn based strategy game for mobile devices. a hefty goal of 300k, but already nearing 20k in 4 days, so it's looking possible if word of mouth spreads around.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:47 pm UTC

300k to develop a mobile game seems pretty freaking steep.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

emceng wrote:300k to develop a mobile game seems pretty freaking steep.

It does, doesn't it, and unlike DoubleFine's kick starter, you have to pledge a LOT before getting any good merch, you don't even get a t-shirt until the $200 tier!!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

emceng wrote:300k to develop a mobile game seems pretty freaking steep.

That.. actually appears to be appropriate "Cover My Ass" funds. I don't know how much of the IP they're using and how much Arkham House owns, but I imagine both groups have lawyers that need to talk to one another for a while. I know Apple charges a bit to put software on there, and without knowing how far along they are, it's difficult to say how much actual work needs doing and how much they plan on doing.

I find it remarkable to see something with a funding goal that looks to be aiming for more than what they think they'll need due to shit always popping up.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:14 pm UTC

I'm enjoying the increasing number of two-player rpgs I've been seeing lately and this is another one that looks pretty solid:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/san ... d-vengeanc

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:22 am UTC

A couple new ones:

Maia: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia Which is a sort of dungeon keeper / dwarf fortress style god game, building a colony on a hostile alien world, and keeping it alive.

Starforge: http://www.indiegogo.com/starforge Which is something like a Minecraft+Halo, with physics based movement and buildings (compression/tension/strain/etc), vehicles, procedurally generated guns, land, etc. And just very ambitious in general, watch the video for the idea. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSmlrPcXumc

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 am UTC

I just backed this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/147 ... ui-generis

It looks really amazing. Though I really wish they didn't use dual weilding idendical full sized weapons as the example for combat for the character they were playing, because it rightfully makes the animations look stupid (since using two weapons like that would off balance you and give you exactly no benefits). Historically the only really populous example of dual weilding was parrying swords/daggers used as a companion weapon for a sword or rapier. And of course in that case you only really use the offhand weapon for parrying or grappling. When you're actually trying to hurt someone you're just using the main weapon. Why not two weapons, because just look at how offbalancing and slow and stupid you have to swing the weapons in order to hit someone with them...

That being said, I did notice a few things I hope they fix.

• The turning doesn't seem to be realistically simulated, they just seem to rotate the model and velocity vector, I'd like to see the model putting it's foot out to stop it's perpendicular movement as it turns a sharp corner.
  • Damage is extremely unrealistically simulated. The character takes battle axes and giant fucking flails like they're nothing. In reality a single hit from that giant flail should've killed him. With that in mind I hope they add dodging mechanics, like a way to hop backwards or roll and dive out of the way, etc.

Problems that most games game, so I can't really fault them for:
  • Harsh lighting, there needs to be more diffuse lighting. Even in AAA titles like Skyrim, things that cast shadows cast shadows that are -way- too harsh. Even during the day where shadows should be fairly tame due to diffuse lighting you get really stark shadows, it irks me.
  • Extremely steep slopes on hilly/mountainous regions. I guess this is mostly because the scale of the game map is small compared to real-world scale... but they still want high hills and mountains so you get ridiculous slopes that -should- be extremely difficult to walk up, but aren't because then you couldn't go anywhere. Think about this, the steepest road in real life is only 19°, yet even in AAA titles like Skyrim you get roads and paths that are 45° or even MORE. Walking up a 45° slope is very difficult.

They say that they may provide moddings tools, they may not... I really hope they do though, because that would be amazing.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:32 am UTC

I feel if this tech really is as good as it claims to be (and isn't just being pre-rendered to the point where playing it on a normal machine will make it look wank) then I feel like they will probably make more money through licensing the tech than through selling a game that doesn't seem like it'll have mass appeal.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:15 am UTC

Jesse wrote:I feel if this tech really is as good as it claims to be (and isn't just being pre-rendered to the point where playing it on a normal machine will make it look wank) then I feel like they will probably make more money through licensing the tech than through selling a game that doesn't seem like it'll have mass appeal.

But the whole point of kickstarter is for funding things that won't have a mass appeal, just a cult appeal. If there was mass appeal they would have a publisher pick them up.

The thing is, what they've made so far in the engine is really impressive... for one person (or a few people), but I don't really see many other companies or entities, who have cash, out there wanting to buy this tech, especially when that company could use that money to buy a license for another competing and more professionally made engine.

The game they're trying to make, just won't happen without crowdfunding. And while they may be able to make a small amount of money by selling the engine to the few small indie dev groups, or individual hobbyists who, for some reason, choose their engine over everything else, making that money isn't really their goal. Their goal is to make a game.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:21 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:But the whole point of kickstarter is for funding things that won't have a mass appeal, just a cult appeal. If there was mass appeal they would have a publisher pick them up.
Some people go the Kickstarter route because they don't want to have a publisher, regardless of how wide or narrow their appeal might be.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:But the whole point of kickstarter is for funding things that won't have a mass appeal, just a cult appeal. If there was mass appeal they would have a publisher pick them up.
Some people go the Kickstarter route because they don't want to have a publisher, regardless of how wide or narrow their appeal might be.

Yeah, but thats generally because they want to make design choices because it will make a good game, but reduce the demographic, rather than being forced by the publishers to cater to LCD.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:

Yeah, but thats generally because they want to make design choices because it will make a good game, but reduce the demographic, rather than being forced by the publishers to cater to LCD.

But not necessarily. I mean, when it comes down to it, if you had the choice of a publisher, or crowdfunding, for the same amount, for the same project, and you could successfully get that amount by crowdfunding, why would you go with a publisher?

A publisher may provide money and resources, but in exchange they are able to make decisions and changes, they take most of the profits themselves, and they often keep the IP and rights to everything you produced. On the other hand, if you go with kickstarter, not only are you free to make your own decisions, but you also keep ownership of it all, and any additional sales you make after the product is produced is pure profit that goes directly to yourself, or that you can use in funding further projects.

Going with crowdfunding, they could both sell it for less money, and make more money themselves, and be better able to decide what to do for future projects, and everyone benefits by leaving out, or at least minimizing, the middlemen. Well, everyone except for publishers and investors and such of course. And also a bit of the risk falls on people doing the funding, that it might not end up being good, but at least to some extent that's the same sort of risk associated with any pre-order.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:07 pm UTC

Are you disagreeing with me or agreeing with me?

This discussion is pretty unrelated to what I was talking about originally anyway.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Are you disagreeing with me or agreeing with me?

This discussion is pretty unrelated to what I was talking about originally anyway.

Mostly I was disagreeing on the implied point that just because a publisher would pick something up, that someone wouldn't want to go with kickstarter instead, or that kickstarter would only cover things that publishers wouldn't. That there are advantages that kickstarter has besides creative control over that given project, like profits and IP after the game is produced, that would make it attractive even for projects that publishers would pick up. And doing so on a bit of a tangent from where the conversation was previously. :)

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:35 am UTC

According to the BBC, David Braben wants to make another Elite game, which he's calling Elite: Dangerous. The article has this link to Kickstarter

I was too young for the original Elite, but there was a time I really loved Frontier: Elite II. I think I got fed up in the end when every single unhabited planet I tried to land on and mine produced nothing more valuable than water ice, even if I made use of the "wormhole bug" to go exploring quite far away from the inhabited systems. I'd also reached a point where my Elite rating and military ranking didn't seem to want to go any higher. I probably just hadn't blown up enough suicidal pirates.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:29 am UTC

There have been some updates to the Sui Generis page that talk about the setting and character building.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:24 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-world-combat

Cthulhu World Combat: a colourful Lovecraft themed turn based strategy game for mobile devices. a hefty goal of 300k, but already nearing 20k in 4 days, so it's looking possible if word of mouth spreads around.

OK this hasn't even reached 23k/300k yet, and it's a week into the campaign, I actually really like the look of it so I'm bumping it in here to get people to look at it again. also they have added the option of a shirt for only $20 on top of any tier.

I love the concept art too

simo

Postby simo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:44 am UTC

Soralin wrote:A couple new ones:
Maia: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia Which is a sort of dungeon keeper / dwarf fortress style god game, building a colony on a hostile alien world, and keeping it alive.

Maia is my game! :D

1970's hard scifi meets the god game genre!

I need all the support I can get! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia

Tons of answers to questions about the game here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia/posts

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:34 pm UTC

simo wrote:

I need all the support I can get! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia

Tons of answers to questions about the game here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia/posts

wow that sounds cool, I love DK and Sci-fi!!

question - where is the launch party? Location of that could mean the difference of me giving $25 or $60.
Last edited by AvatarIII on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:46 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

simo

Postby simo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

simo wrote:

wow that sounds cool, I love DK and Sci-fi!!

question - where is the launch party? Location of that could mean the difference of me giving $25 or $60.

One in London and one in Oxford.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:47 pm UTC

Cool, London would be good for me, I'll have to give it some thought

Also as a DK fan I suggest you check out http://subterraneangames.com/ http://wftogame.com who are also making a DK clone, and are heading to KS soon!

simo

Postby simo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

Yeah. Someone showed me them last night. They keep making progress and then stuttering, having some drama and going silent for a while. They really need to be better organised.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

simo wrote:Yeah. Someone showed me them last night. They keep making progress and then stuttering, having some drama and going silent for a while. They really need to be better organised.

Yeah.... but they seem to be on track now, as evidenced by the fact they are readying for KS. It was chugging along quietly for ages, and then there was a coup a while back which slowed things down, and they were using UDK, which they have now dumped in favour of Unity, and since then they have been going in leaps and bounds, and now they have a tech demo which looks cool, even though I have yet to be able to play it because it runs at like 0.5 fps on my laptop, but the build is supposedly months old so that is promising.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

I must say, I'm terribly amused by the wording on this reward (emphasis mine):

Pledge £1,000 or more

Multivac tier: A pint with Simon in your local pub. (+all previous tiers up to Marvin)
Estimated delivery: Jan 2013
Ships within the UK only
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

simo

Postby simo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:I must say, I'm terribly amused by the wording on this reward (emphasis mine):

Pledge £1,000 or more

Multivac tier: A pint with Simon in your local pub. (+all previous tiers up to Marvin)
Estimated delivery: Jan 2013
Ships within the UK only

:)

Amazingly I have a backer for the 5k tier. Seems like I might be popping to Sweden!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 pm UTC

I'm interested, I might back your project, cool stuff.

As for Sui Generis, article in forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... arter-rpg/
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:24 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:I must say, I'm terribly amused by the wording on this reward (emphasis mine)
Fan-fiction ahoy!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

Motobushido is a game about roving motorcycle gangs of samurai fighting for honor, brotherhood, or just because that is what motorcycle gang samurai do in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

anyways, here is some of the art.
418 I'm a teapot

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

A bit over a day left on Hero-U, and they still need 45k. Yet another video game nostalgia Kickstarter, this time for Quest for Glory, a fantastic series that blended adventure games and RPGs.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:Motobushido is a game about roving motorcycle gangs of samurai fighting for honor, brotherhood, or just because that is what motorcycle gang samurai do in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

anyways, here is some of the art.

Samurai Road Rash?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No