Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Re: Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

simo wrote:
Vaniver wrote:I must say, I'm terribly amused by the wording on this reward (emphasis mine):

Pledge £1,000 or more

Multivac tier: A pint with Simon in your local pub. (+all previous tiers up to Marvin)
Estimated delivery: Jan 2013
Ships within the UK only

:)

Amazingly I have a backer for the 5k tier. Seems like I might be popping to Sweden!

lets hope you do.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

Anyone know much about this game:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poo ... f=category

Looks neat. Not sold on spending $100 on a game I'll likely never play, but I like the artwork and miniatures. The thing is, there are pretty much no details about the game itself. Is this an established tabletop game? Is it fun? It says co-op, which is mostly why I'm looking at it. Much easier to get friends to do co-op.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

simo

Postby simo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

simo wrote:Maia is now in its stretch goals! Whee! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia/posts/356489

Yup, I hope it hits 150k, hell I hope it hits 200k and beyond! I'd kind of like to see both 200k options eventually.

If it doesn't hit the stretch goals though, you're not going to never implement the stretch goal promises right? Will they just stop being a promise/priority, and turn into a "maybe later" thing instead?

I like the sound of the stretch goals so much I'd be devastated if there was literally no chance of them seeing the light of day.

silent man

Postby silent man » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:18 pm UTC

I submit for your scrutiny Professor Pugnacious' Portfolio of Perils, Pugilism, and Perfidy, described as "a fast paced tactical deckbuilding Steampunk card game".

If you pledge any amount, you can download a print-and-play version of the entire basic game (minus art) to try out the gameplay.
While I have never played a similar game for comparison, I think it's quite fun and the art they've shown so far looks pretty good as well. The funding period ends next Tuesday (Dec. 4th) and there's still 7.5k to go, so if you're interested, check it out soon...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

silent man wrote:I submit for your scrutiny Professor Pugnacious' Portfolio of Perils, Pugilism, and Perfidy, described as "a fast paced tactical deckbuilding Steampunk card game".

If you pledge any amount, you can download a print-and-play version of the entire basic game (minus art) to try out the gameplay.
While I have never played a similar game for comparison, I think it's quite fun and the art they've shown so far looks pretty good as well. The funding period ends next Tuesday (Dec. 4th) and there's still 7.5k to go, so if you're interested, check it out soon...

Looks awesome, though I have some typographical objections to some of their sample cards. Not really something I can put money into now... and also I don't really play card games at all. But I hope it is successful.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:43 pm UTC

Some info on the software titles and their progress:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11 ... -they-now/
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/147 ... ui-generis

Just finished, it somehow made it. Really happy that it didn't fucking fail.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:30 am UTC

Good to see Maia and Sui Generis get funded. :)

Predestination looks interesting, as a Master of Orion-like 4X game.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyp ... ategy-game
Predestination is a turn-based space 4X game that significantly modernises and improves on the gameplay of classic games like Master of Orion II, Civilization and the Galactic Civilizations series. It blends turn-based galaxy management and turn-based tactical combat with modern 3D graphics, player-generated content, and innovative new game mechanics that 4X fans have been waiting years to get their hands on: A 3D galaxy map that works, real planetary exploration, streamlined micromanagement, realistic spying and planetary bombardment mechanics, and many other revolutionary features. It's all in Predestination, whether your focus is on exploring the galaxy, expanding your galactic empire, exploiting the resources around you or exterminating all races that cross your path.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 am UTC

Has someone mentioned Pier Solar HD already?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573 ... -linux-and

This made quite a splash as a new full-fledged indie RPG programmed for the Sega Genesis just a few years ago.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 am UTC

Soralin wrote:Predestination looks interesting, as a Master of Orion-like 4X game.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyp ... ategy-game
Predestination is a turn-based space 4X game that significantly modernises and improves on the gameplay of classic games like Master of Orion II, Civilization and the Galactic Civilizations series. It blends turn-based galaxy management and turn-based tactical combat with modern 3D graphics, player-generated content, and innovative new game mechanics that 4X fans have been waiting years to get their hands on: A 3D galaxy map that works, real planetary exploration, streamlined micromanagement, realistic spying and planetary bombardment mechanics, and many other revolutionary features. It's all in Predestination, whether your focus is on exploring the galaxy, expanding your galactic empire, exploiting the resources around you or exterminating all races that cross your path.
Part of me wants to fund it because I buy basically every space 4X game that I see, but the video was pretty underwhelming. Most of the revolutionary features they discuss have been in other games, and a number of them seemed odd. Why, when colonizing a planet from orbit, are you mapping it out in small pieces? Apparently, they say in their first update that you'll scan more / faster as the game progresses, but unless the first planet starts as a crash-landing and you have to rebuild a space-faring civilization from scratch, it still seems odd.

Similarly with the 'streamlined micromanagement'- yes, we can standardize our city plans. But standardizing build queues is old, and it's not clear to me that having lots of hexes per planet adds all that much strategic value to the game, though it definitely adds a lot of low-level tactical decisions. Do I build the city now, or do I wait until I've explored more of the planet? Do I pick city location A, or B? Compare this to, say, Endless Space, which basically followed the MoO model except instead of operating on the level of planets, like MoO, it operated on the level of solar systems. You don't even build buildings on planets, except for specializing it! A space-based 4X game that operates on the level of cities seems bold or silly, perhaps both. How many cities per planet can we expect? How many planets per empire? How many cities does that work out to? If they all end up using the same layout, since no one wants to design ninety different city plans, why not just have one city plan?

But the itch to see how they'll do it is still there, even if I don't expect to be impressed.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am UTC

WFTO Kickstarter is HERE! check out the demo/showcase. and the video.... is amazing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sub ... -overworld

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm UTC

Fate Core from Evil Hate Productions went live last night. Funded in less than 15 minutes apparently.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-core
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Fate Core from Evil Hate Productions went live last night. Funded in less than 15 minutes apparently.

well, it's only a 3k goal, but yeah 60k in a little over 24 hours is pretty amazing.

if they made 3k in 15 minutes, they must have started the campaign just a couple of minutes before "midnight" by whatever Kicktraq uses as midnight, because it only made about 1100 on it's first "day"
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/evilha ... hart-daily

I think it's crazy how well tabletop RPGs do on KS, when they aren't very expensive to produce, compared to say a video game, but I guess people have more faith that the project will follow through perhaps?

also the woman on the art looks like Uma Thurman

War for the Overworld is chugging along, looks like it will succeed at this pace, but the stretch goals are what I want them to get

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:I think it's crazy how well tabletop RPGs do on KS, when they aren't very expensive to produce, compared to say a video game, but I guess people have more faith that the project will follow through perhaps?
I think a major factor is that board game and RPG kickstarters tend to be for finished products- give us $50, and we'll mail you a box as soon as it prints- rather than to fund development- give us $50, and you can download our game in a year and a half. Another large factor is probably the lowered total cost- Disaster Looms tripled their initial goal with less than a thousand backers; for the same multiplier, Wasteland 2 needed 61 thousand backers. I also expect that the average backer of a board game is spending more than the average backer of a computer game, just because board games tend to be more expensive than computer games, and it's significantly easier to compete with top tier board games than it is to compete with top tier computer games.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/guilds-of-cadwallon

This is a territory control boardgame that looks like it plays pretty quick from the gameplay video, and looks interesting to me.
418 I'm a teapot

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

Heh. "Guilds of Belgian dicks". Glad to see that other companies have taken up the mantle of funny naming from Games Workshop.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Fate Core from Evil Hat Productions went live last night. Funded in less than 15 minutes apparently.

and they have announced stretch goals that included everything in print. I love print.
418 I'm a teapot

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

Bah. I've never really been a fan of Fate games. I've played maybe half-a-dozen sessions total of different flavors. Usually enjoyed myself but not enough to buy any material before.

But, fuck it, everyone I know is being so enthusiastic about it that it's infectious. It's worth a little money to support developers I respect.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:15 pm UTC

What about Champions/Savage Worlds?

*Note - that's to the Imaginary Friends kickstarter, which is for the Champions system.

Imaginary Friends is an adventure for the Hero System/ Champions 6th Edition and Savage Worlds in which invisible playmates come to life with deadly consequences. As much a long-term campaign supplement as an adventure, it features a set of strategies and events using the characters and depicting forces at work, rather than a completely linear narrative.

You'll meet an entertaining array of sinister and unique characters who will engage roleplayers in tests of combat and the mind unlike anything you've seen before! I know you've probably heard that before once or twice, but I really mean it. Every playtest of this adventure has been fantastic, be it rules light or rules heavy.

We hope you'll be pleased and surprised at what you find inside the pages of Imaginary Friends. It's a very different sort of gaming experience.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:44 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/guilds-of-cadwallon

This is a territory control boardgame that looks like it plays pretty quick from the gameplay video, and looks interesting to me.
The line "veteran players and new hopefuls have equal chances" in the trailer, right after they described their randomization procedure (not the ease of learning the rules, say), bothers me in conjunction with the line "easy to learn but hard to master" in the print description.

I'm curious about how well it scales to more players (does it? I suspect they support 4, since 12 streets is neatly divisible by 2, 3, and 4). I can see things turning into a garbled mess where lots of districts stay on the board, but can also see the turn ordering making people try to stake out new territory rather than fight for districts that the other player will get a chance to defend.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:03 am UTC

Sportsfriends, which includes Johann Sebastian Joust, has about 17 hours left to raise $13,000. JS Joust is awesome, and I hope it gets funded into becoming a published game.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

War for the Overworld have just done a really good sounding update (in more ways than one), they're doing well so far, but i'm a little worried that they are losing steam, hopefully this update can lure a few more backers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sub ... sts/365764
Last edited by AvatarIII on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:52 pm UTC

I'm too jaded after Dungeons.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 am UTC

Xeio wrote:I'm too jaded after Dungeons.

You should check out their playable demo at least.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 am UTC

Wait, kickstarter things with... demos?

Incidentally, you should add a "4" on the end of that url.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:41 am UTC

Xeio wrote:Wait, kickstarter things with... demos?

Incidentally, you should add a "4" on the end of that url.

Yeah they are trend setters right? (although I have seen at least 2 other KS campaigns with playable demos, so not so much) this is the first time i've seen a demo that can run within a browser though, and be available on Windows, Mac and Linux from day 1.
https://wftogame.com/demo

It's a pretty basic demo though, all you can do is run around in possession mode, it's really more to show off graphics, tone and design rather than gameplay. in fact until yesterday's update all you could do was run around, it's being updated regularly with more unlocks like new rooms and creatures, and more optimisation too, for example:
December 10: Rounding up last two updates in one! RTS camera has been added to the showcase and acts as the default. You can possess any imp by clicking on them with hand of evil cursor added. Doors now open and close when imps (or you) go through them. Hand of evil now follows you in possession.
December 7: Cultist added to Gallery for 45k creature reveal! Dungeon heart has spawned 4 Blood Imps that are doing some menial tasks. They are pretty unproductive currently besides some digging. Added more Gold to Treasury and Dungeon Heart. A new room has been dug out but it is very dark...
December 6: Treasury and Gallery doors have been unlocked. Blood Imp model added to the Gallery. Gold added to the Treasury and Dungeon Heart.

The Playable Showcase is a way for you to experience the world we have begun to create. Here, you will assume control of a Blood Imp and be able explore a small dungeon and the surrounding depths. As our Kickstarter Campaign progresses we will be opening doors and adding additional content, so check back regularly!

In case anyone can't play the demo, here is someone that streamed a bit of the gameplay.
http://www.twitch.tv/nagel182/b/346891703

ps Thanks, I deleted some #... stuff at the end of the link and must have accidentally deleted too much.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

If you've read Jane McGonigal's book Reality Is Broken, The Game of Books seems like exactly the kind of game that she was advocating to get people to bring games into a more productive and helpful role in their lives. And, as of today, it has a demo. The project looks like it's getting a huge boost in its final days.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Yaf

Postby Yaf » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:30 am UTC

Hello everyone

I have just launched a Project on KickStarter called Picture Clues. Its a puzzle like game for your smartphone. It requires creativity and a little general knowledge. The aim of the game is to identify a coded word using the picture clues. The pictures, which are revealed one at a time, are linked directly or indirectly to the Code Word. How they are linked varies significantly. Some are straight forward references while others require more imagination.

I have put up a video on my KickStarter page where you can play along and get a proper feel of the game. I would be grateful if you could check it out and give me your feedback.

Here's the Link http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/153 ... martphones

Yaf

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:41 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Good lord.

Trying to read that made my brain hurt. :?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:44 pm UTC

NOTE : This is the first time in video gaming history a development team is going to let pubic see and be apart of a game from start to finish.
You know, unlike pretty much all of the other really successful video game Kickstarters...

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:15 pm UTC

Krealr wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:Good lord.

Trying to read that made my brain hurt. :?
The logo for their project is nearly illegible, despite containing only four letters. Now, I'm normally a "gameplay over graphics" kind of guy, but I'm not optimistic about the quality of this game.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:55 am UTC

Oh lordy. This is a teenager who just got into Maya and is very excitable. I'd bet the two good-looking models in the progress updates are taken from some other game's resources.

Who the hell would pledge $600 for this? Quite certain that's a troll banking on the fact that the project won't fund.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:58 am UTC

They should make an Example of him. I don't even get what we would do with 150k if he got it, except for maybe live in sloth for seven years.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

you should have seen his FIRST attempt http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:14 pm UTC

Here is The World of Synnibarr

It is widely regarded as one of the worst role playing games ever. It is messy, unfocused, has poor mechanics, and fails to understand the purpose of the GM. It also holds a special place for several people as it has a lot of heart.
418 I'm a teapot

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:you should have seen his FIRST attempt http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore

"pledged of $1,500,000 goal"

uh

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

How'd I miss this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bre ... -adventure

Though all the illustrations look like Hark, A Vagrant.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

That's probably because all the illustrations on the page are by Kate Beaton.

Return to “Gaming”