Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

callmeindy

Dark Dungeons the Movie

Postby callmeindy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

They are making a movie off of a 29 year old anti-D&D comic book. The comic book is called Dark Dungeons and it was made by Jack Chick. If you google "Dark Dungeons the Movie" you can find it.

Menacing Spike

Re: Dark Dungeons the Movie

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

This should go in the kickstarter thread, though.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

What is that i dont even

Is it a joke?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

the comic itself is completely sincere. Jack Chick has written a very large number of similar things, all freely available on his website and for purchase of physical copies to proselytize. Dark Dungeons happens to enjoy a great popularity among people who play RPGs.
418 I'm a teapot

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

callmeindy wrote:They are making a movie off of a 29 year old anti-D&D comic book. The comic book is called Dark Dungeons and it was made by Jack Chick. If you google "Dark Dungeons the Movie" you can find it.

Link:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/295102457/rpgs-are-evil-dark-dungeons-the-movie
At first I thought a group affiliated with Jack Chick would make it, but someone asked them for the rights.

Ryom

Divinity: Original Sin

Postby Ryom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

Larian has put up a Kickstarter for their upcoming Divinity RPG project. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

What's really interesting is how the co-op will work. In dialogue with NPC's, players can use skill checks to further their goals, as is customary, but in co-op each player can have their own input in how a conversation or situation plays out. Sometimes you can even overrule your team member if you have the proper attributes or higher skill. You will be able to interact with every object in the game, much like the older Ultima games. This includes a crafting element that will allow you to put together objects in unlikely combinations, sometimes making bizarre items. This will be prequel to the other Divinity games.

There is one hour remaining on the Kickstarter and they are $50,000 away from their last stretch goal of $1,000,000.

•Divinity:Original Sin is an Isometric cRPG.
• You can play in single player mode but also in cooperative multiplayer mode
•It's a real epic CRPG so even in multiplayer, you're engaging in much more than just combat and item fever. A nifty cooperative dialog system, a highly reactive world, a deep character development system and plenty of choice and consequence situations see to that.
•You can create your own RPG adventures with our powerful RPG editor and share or play them with friends
•Combat is very tactical. It is turn-based and features things like skill and spell combos, attacks of opportunity, action points and much more.
• Exploration is greatly rewarded.
•You can develop your character(s) to fit your playstyle using our classless skill and stats system.
•There are countless item interactions and item combinations waiting to be discovered.
•No Divinity game is complete without music composed by the brilliant Kirill Pokrovsky.

http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/

emceng

Re: Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Postby emceng » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

So not exactly Kickstarter, but I guess based on this. For backing the Ascension Kickstarter, I got into the beta for SolForge. It's on steam. Has anyone else played this? I like the idea, a bit of a dumbed down version of Magic that would play pretty well on a phone. The issue is I cannot beat the AI on normal. They give you 'easy' and 'normal' AI. Then you each get one of the pre-made decks. And the AI crushes me every time. I can't figure out why. Every damned time his creatures are bigger than mine, and so late game he's got more out. One time I thought I was going to easily win, and then the game turned around in two turns and I lost.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

doomtrader

Postby doomtrader » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 am UTC

Hello All.

We have broke the 40k stretch goal tonight, and with 27 hours left we can try to hit the 45k, which is additional race and Linux and Mac version available at the release date.

Thanks for your support, spreading the word and for backing us.
You can still give us a hand, and help making this game greater.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed May 01, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

New rpg from the guy's that did Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard. Sort of an advanced hack of Mouse Guard as a love letter to early D&D. I played an earlier version of this last October and fell in love with it. They're not joking when they say it's a bit like old-school D&D on hard mode. I've never had as much fun being a part of a TPK as I was in that demo.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bur ... orchbearer
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Kexizzoc

Postby Kexizzoc » Fri May 17, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Ok, I officially need to back Torchbearer now. My friends who won't play Mouse Guard WILL play this. Finally, an RPG where you really SHOULD keep track of ammo. Why? Because I paid for that arrow, dammit.

Simius

Postby Simius » Wed May 29, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

The creators of The Neverhood, probably the best game I've ever played, are making a new clay-mation point-and-click game: Armikrog

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 29, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Someguy945

Neverhood / Armikrog

Postby Someguy945 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

The Neverhood was a 90s point-and-click puzzle/adventure game made entirely with clay and stop-motion - think Nightmare Before Christmas meets Sam & Max.

It is one of the greatest creations - not just greatest games - of humankind. It did not make the blockbuster debut it deserved but has developed an inevitable cult following.

It's been 20 long years and the team has reassembled to create a masterpiece successor called Armikrog.

Please give the video a quick look!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu May 30, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

and Double Fine Has another Kickstarter. Massive Chalice

Fantasy turn-based tactics with a large strategic play where you marry one generation of characters to preserve lines to use special gear in the next.
418 I'm a teapot

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 31, 2013 6:38 am UTC

Remember back when Salon.com used to be interesting? Remember "Story Minute", Carol Lay's enchanting weekly comic strip? She's got another Kickstarter up at the moment. Check it out:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/184 ... o-armories

Someguy945

Re: Neverhood / Armikrog

Postby Someguy945 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:The Neverhood was a 90s point-and-click puzzle/adventure game made entirely with clay and stop-motion - think Nightmare Before Christmas meets Sam & Max.

It is one of the greatest creations - not just greatest games - of humankind. It did not make the blockbuster debut it deserved but has developed an inevitable cult following.

It's been 20 long years and the team has reassembled to create a masterpiece successor called Armikrog.

Please give the video a quick look!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog

Over 10,000 backers and just about to hit 50% funding! Seize the clay!

EDIT: Passed the 50% mark!

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

I'd like to spill my guts about why I'm so excited about Armikrog. And I'll spoil the giant wall of images! -ST And I'll form the head! - Keith
Spoiler:
A long time ago, Christmas 1996 or 97, my parents got me a very unusual PC game as a gift. They didn't even know what it was, my Dad just said the guy at the store told him it was good. I turned it on and experienced my first ever point-and-click adventure game, The Neverhood.

This games visuals were quite unusual...everything is made out of clay. The music is even more bizarre, but you'd probably have to head over to youtube to check it out yourself.

Back in the 90s there were a lot of these adventure games: Sam And Max, Monkey Island, The Dig, Indiana Jones (btw, LucasArts made all of those, you probably got ads for them in your game box when you purchased X-Wing VS TIE Fighter). Even Blizzard was making a Warcraft one called Warcraft Adventures: Lord Of The Clans, but they canceled it and made it into a book instead. You can actually find the leaked alpha of the Blizzard game but I heard it's awful.

However, The Neverhood stood out. Not just because of it's weird clay visuals and unique music, but also because of the gameplay. Other adventure games focused too heavily on managing your inventory and figuring out what item to use where, resulting in players just mindlessly trying every item in every situation until something worked. The Neverhood focused on requiring players to solve puzzles to move forward instead. Successful modern adventure games like Professor Layton follow this model.

Many years passed and no true sequel was ever created. A playstation game called Skullmonkeys continues the story, but as a platform jumping game, not a puzzle-solving adventure game. The main redeeming factor in Skullmonkeys was that the music was once again excellent and also really, REALLY weird.

I had very long ago given up hope of ever seeing another claymation adventure from these guys, and then a couple of weeks ago...

Armikrog. A new game, done in the same style as The Neverhood, by the same team of people. The odds of seeing these guys get back together 17 years after The Neverhood had seemed to be approximately 0. And yet here it was, a full intro cutscene with the whole team, including the soundtrack guy Terry S Taylor. He even had the first song completed and released as a preview to get the fans psyched up.

So this is just super-de-duper exciting for me, and I felt like gushing about it, so there you have it.

The project isn't a done deal yet. It's on kickstarter, and needs support, but it looks like it can reach the goal though it will be close. Kickstarters that are under their goal usually see a massive influx of new and increased pledges in the final few days, and based on the pattern of many other similar kickstarter projects, Armikrog is poised to make a successful finish.

If you're willing to take my word for it that this game will be absolutely awesome, please at least take a look at the kickstarter video: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog

Thanks so much for reading. Someguy945 out.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:However, The Neverhood stood out. Not just because of it's weird clay visuals and unique music, but also because of the gameplay. Other adventure games focused too heavily on managing your inventory and figuring out what item to use where, resulting in players just mindlessly trying every item in every situation until something worked. The Neverhood focused on requiring players to solve puzzles to move forward instead.
Eh? Such Myst-like gameplay was not necessarily uncommon at the time. You should certainly check out Machinarium if you haven't already, though that is a much more recent development.

I never really thought of comparing it to Layton (or even of thinking of Layton as an adventure game), but I suppose that's valid enough.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

Not to be a pushy salesman, but have you checked out the kickstarter vid?

Jorpho wrote:Eh? Such Myst-like gameplay was not necessarily uncommon at the time.

Oops, I didn't mean to imply that The Neverhood was the first game to use puzzle-solving for advancement. Just that LucasArts was dominating the adventure genre at the time and pushing this inventory-centric gameplay, so to have The Neverhood come along (with similar side-scrolling 2D gameplay for the most part) and NOT copy that flawed (in my opinion) model was a really great move.

You should certainly check out Machinarium if you haven't already, though that is a much more recent development.

Yep, it's a really cool game as well! I've played it, but I always appreciate such recommendations :)

I never really thought of comparing it to Layton (or even of thinking of Layton as an adventure game), but I suppose that's valid enough.

Haha yeah, it took me until sometime after finishing the first 4 games to realize that Layton is really just a differently-structured kind of adventure game. Everything is much more formalized, but in the end you're still moving through a story by solving puzzles.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:29 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:Not to be a pushy salesman, but have you checked out the kickstarter vid?
Pff. I jumped on the "Early Explorer" tier without even bothering to watch the video. :P

I was thinking it seemed like a lot more money (twice the goal of the first Double Fine kickstarter, Project Fedora, and Shadowrun Returns), but nope, Dreamfall and Torment were right up there.

Some people apparently take offense at TenNapel's anti-homosexual views.

Someguy945 wrote:Haha yeah, it took me until sometime after finishing the first 4 games to realize that Layton is really just a differently-structured kind of adventure game. Everything is much more formalized, but in the end you're still moving through a story by solving puzzles.
Except in Layton the puzzles are pretty much entirely disjointed from the story.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

First of all, great to have you on board. Thank you. You can also vote YES for Armikrog on Steam Greenlight at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =151640574 if you haven't already, that helps spread the word to steam users and helps with the ultimate launch of the game.

Jorpho wrote:I was thinking it seemed like a lot more money...

Armikrog is poised to reach a successful finish via a major push in the last 3 days. I think it's going to reach 600k before then, and then it's not uncommon for the final few days to mirror the first few days (Armikrog's first 3 days were over 300k).

There's also the Kickstarer FAQ figure that of projects that reach 60% funding, 98% go on to reach their goal. So that's a bit reassuring as well.

Some people apparently take offense at TenNapel's anti-homosexual views.

I understand the outrage, but these same people buy products and services from companies that employ people of anti-homosexual views every single day. The important thing is that it's not like Chick-Fil-A, the profits aren't being used to fund anti-homosexual groups. Doug TenNapel is just a guy trying to earn a living creating great games. He has views we may disagree with, but we don't need to boycott every company he works for until he starves to death.

I know I don't need to explain that to you, you are already a backer, but I guess that's for anyone else who might be lurking and reading along with us.

Except in Layton the puzzles are pretty much entirely disjointed from the story.

Yeah, I'd say there are 3 levels to it:
1) Story-driven puzzles (reading the driving directions in the first puzzle of Diabolical Box, "boss battle" puzzles at the end of Last Spectre) - Maybe 5 to 10% of the puzzles
2) Thematic puzzles (a bartender asking you to help with a water pouring puzzle) - 5 to 10% of the puzzles
3) Completely random "Can you help me with this?" puzzles - 80 to 90% of the puzzles :lol:

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:14 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:Yeah, I'd say there are 3 levels to it:
1) Story-driven puzzles (reading the driving directions in the first puzzle of Diabolical Box, "boss battle" puzzles at the end of Last Spectre) - Maybe 5 to 10% of the puzzles
2) Thematic puzzles (a bartender asking you to help with a water pouring puzzle) - 5 to 10% of the puzzles
3) Completely random "Can you help me with this?" puzzles - 80 to 90% of the puzzles :lol:

This is one of the reasons I can't get all that into Layton (another being I'm not too into the characters)... yet I find the Ace Attorney series to basically be the best thing ever.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:

Yeah, I'd say there are 3 levels to it:

Here in the UK, from the 80s onwards, there were the Usborne Puzzle Adventure series - a series of children's books where each double-page spread showed a puzzle to be solved (with hints nearby and solutions at the back). The Professor Layton games are, pretty much, the video-game equivalent (the Puzzle Agent games are even more similar)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Here in the UK, from the 80s onwards, there were the Usborne Puzzle Adventure series - a series of children's books where each double-page spread showed a puzzle to be solved (with hints nearby and solutions at the back). The Professor Layton games are, pretty much, the video-game equivalent (the Puzzle Agent games are even more similar)
I remember those! They were pretty darn awesome. I would contribute to a Kickstarter for those.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Here in the UK, from the 80s onwards, there were the Usborne Puzzle Adventure series - a series of children's books where each double-page spread showed a puzzle to be solved (with hints nearby and solutions at the back). The Professor Layton games are, pretty much, the video-game equivalent (the Puzzle Agent games are even more similar)
I remember those! They were pretty darn awesome. I would contribute to a Kickstarter for those.
I loved those :) I was looking them up recently, thinking I might get some for my daughter in a few years, but I think they're out of print.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:39 am UTC

How about that? Armikrog made it after all. Seemed a little dicey for a while there. I was almost tempted to chip in another $20, which would be a lot more than I've paid for a game in quite some time.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:26 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:How about that? Armikrog made it after all. Seemed a little dicey for a while there. I was almost tempted to chip in another $20, which would be a lot more than I've paid for a game in quite some time.

It seemed dicey, but I wasn't worried, I am surprised it make it to 36k over goal, when last I saw it, with around 30 hours remaining, it was only on a little over 800k, I thought it might make it to 910k, or 920k at the most.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Seems the creator of Syndicate Wars is making a spiritual successor with Satellite Reign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5li ... lite-reign
Satellite Reign is a real-time, class-based strategy game. You control a team of four agents, each with distinct and unique abilities, collectively battling for control of a fully simulated, living cyberpunk city.

This is one big, open, living metropolis. The city isn't just a cool location (although it is pretty cool), it actually functions like a city; the streets are bustling with people by day, and controlled by criminal organisations by night. Power grids actually power the city, information and finances flow from one district to another, and you can use all of these things to your advantage.

The entire game-world is designed around emergent gameplay. Civilians, police and corporate soldiers will all react uniquely to your actions. Power conduits, communication networks and security systems are there for you to hijack, modify or destroy. Learn how the city and its inhabitants operate, then exploit them all to advance your agenda.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Becoming: A Game of Heroism and Sacrifice
Sounds like a pretty interesting premise: what you have to sacrifice to become a hero.

There's some great people involved in the project and the stretch goals for some pre-made Quests all sound pretty awesome: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/208 ... 5d23c1248d

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Tears of a Machine.

Like mecha anime such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fafner: Dead Aggressor, Gunparade March, etc? Then check out this tabletop rpg about giant robots and the teenagers that pilot them.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Warmachine: Tactics, a turn-based tactical combat game for PC based on the tabletop game of the same name. It looks pretty awesome, but I play or have played both Warmachine and the Iron Kingdoms RPG, so I'm kind of directly in their target market.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:26 am UTC

So now Jim "Police Quest" Walls wants a piece of the pie.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pre ... e/precinct

I recall that a lot of people were rather unimpressed with his notions about game design.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 am UTC

Wow, shadowrun returns looks really disappointing.

From 4chan pasta:

Ammo will be unlimited:

http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discuss ... -unlimited

No dual wielding:

http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discuss ... no-waiting

Equipment is not important:

http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discuss ... /equipment

No manual Saves:
Q: What will the save system be like?
A: We're planning a checkpoint system. No one on the team likes checkpoints better than save any time you want. But we're a small team with a LOT to do and save games are complicated. Thanks for understanding.

http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discuss ... unofficial

Corpse looting is too hard. Need more money.
http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discuss ... se-looting

No stealth:
http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discuss ... 13/stealth

No Weapon Modifications:
http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discuss ... ifications

Also no modding.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Honestly? I think this is going to happen to a looooooot of Kickstarter projects. If I back something I just assume it's a sunk cost and try to forget about it. If I get something as good as what's promised, yay, if not, well... yea...

Selling an idea is way easier than building a product people want to buy. Isn't even the Double Fine game running way over budget and delayed? And they nearly raised 10x their asking amount...

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

I was recently directed to a rather thoughtful post at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sto ... sts/529873 , by Alex from Bioware:
Spoiler:
Lots of stuff has been going on in the Kickstarter community lately. I'm sure many of you have noticed Double Fine's announcement about splitting up their game into two parts. They've gotten some serious heat for this. Backers of Shadowrun have heard similar things about the content in that game, with the DLC being released much later.

First of all, I want to be clear that we do not intend to do something like this for The Banner Saga. When it releases it will be a complete product. We don't have plans for DLC at this time, and we will continue to support the multiplayer component. We also intend to continue on the sequels (chapter 2 and 3) just as planned.

I would also like to talk about my personal opinion on this, and I'd love to be open and talk like a normal person instead of a PR person in damage control mode. Can we do this? Without freaking out? You can disagree with me of course, just be nice about it.

This is hard. Like, way WAY hard. When we pitched the game we were hoping for enough money to get extra animations, maybe increase the length of the game. We thought we'd get, like, 2000 backers, not 20,000. A fine problem to have, right? Haha! Except that it's actually a huge problem. The hardest problem I've ever dealt with in my life. Now I know.

We thought now we could do everything we ever wanted for the game, and got too ambitious. We thought we could make the game in six months, and I'm still not sure what we were thinking. That was stupid. I wish I could take that back, all we needed to do was put a different date there and nobody would be complaining. Whoops. We ARE still doing everything we want, and it's taking a long time. I don't feel bad about that. That was the POINT, right? To dream as big as we could?

It's interesting to think of it from someone else's point of view. For many people, letting a dev shoot for the moon is NOT the point. For a lot of people the point is I BOUGHT A GAME, WHERE IS IT? They want the biggest, best game ever made, on time, for their $10 contribution. I can see that, too. I don't really agree... but I suppose it's a matter of perspective.

If nothing else, I think the gaming community is finally getting a good picture about real game development. What would really shock people is that there is nothing unusual about any of this, except that you are finally seeing it. This is every game development story that has ever existed, except instead of the publisher dealing with it, YOU are.

Budgets of 1 to 4 million are small-to-medium sized. Our budget of $650k (in actual funding) is relatively small, half a year of production for a small team. Budgets of kickstarter projects asking for $20k... that's not enough to make a game, that's just some content. Surprise! Games you've come to expect as "standard" like Call of Duty: maybe 150 million to make, rough guess. You know how much Old Republic cost? I'm not legally allowed to tell you, actually. It's that much. Now you know.

Games take 1 year to make... if it's a casual iOS game, or an annual sequel. Medium sized games take 2-3 years. Large games take 4-5 years. Believe it or not, lots of games fall in a nebulous space between AAA and "indie", whatever that means. The Old Republic took over 6 years. Yeah, you started hearing about it 1 year before it released. It started production five years before that. For five years hundreds of people toiled on it 12 hours a day and you had no idea! Now you know! Isn't knowing about production right from the start wonderful? No, it's not. It's annoying. It takes FOREVER. That's why you usually don't hear anything until it's almost ready to ship.

Delays, content cuts, pushed back dates, plans to make revenue sooner- this is how games are developed. Bioshock Infinite, the biggest game of 2013, got delayed for half a year, AFTER pre-orders were sold. Journey took 3 years to make a 3 hour game and had to go back for more funding from Sony TWICE. That's how game development goes. They didn't know they'd need to do it. Humans are not good at estimating creative endeavors, no matter how "professional" they are.

We released a truly free demo hoping to make some extra cash for development, and got brutalized for it. But without that income and development time our single-player game wouldn't be as good. Some people will never understand this.

I've worked in games for about a decade. Some companies I worked for had their stuff together better than others. Some were a huge, hundred-million dollar, extremely delayed nightmares. Every company had delays and went over-budget. You know what a release date is? A guess. We're just guessing.

Essentially, I hope people don't freak out too much about what's happening with Kickstarter right now. It's not deceitful or underhanded. It's not a conspiracy. It's normal stuff, whether you like it or not. If Broken Age wasn't a Kickstarter game the first time you would have heard about it would be a couple months from ship, and that it was a two-part adventure game. And you would have been fine with that.

Our game is coming along better than I could have imagined, even if delayed. BECAUSE it's delayed. I'm super happy with it. Other companies have way bigger problems, but that's game development. NOW YOU KNOW. I sincerely hope everything works out the best for them, and you should too. At the end of the day, they're nice guys trying to make good entertainment for you. I, personally, will cut them all the slack in the world.

So there you have it. The games industry! The aristocrats! Maybe it'll get better someday? For now, let's enjoy our time together! (I love you)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Jorpho's article wrote:If nothing else, I think the gaming community is finally getting a good picture about real game development. What would really shock people is that there is nothing unusual about any of this, except that you are finally seeing it. This is every game development story that has ever existed, except instead of the publisher dealing with it, YOU are.
There's a bit of irony in Kickstarter turning gamers into the publisher... and then they go on to do the same things that they largely revile publishers for doing (pushing games to be completed faster, more status updates, complaining about budget issues, ect).

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Also no modding.

???

The game shipped with an editor.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:26 am UTC

Krealr wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:Also no modding.

???

The game shipped with an editor.

You can't even add assets, due to their licensing of the engine. All you can do is move stuff around a bit. Just like Dragon Age 2 level design!

Return to “Gaming”