Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mishrak

Re: Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Postby Mishrak » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

We'll see as much WL2 footage as we want when the Beta rolls out. :)

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

418 I'm a teapot

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Shadowrun Returns also has an alpha gameplay video up now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... sts/422643 :)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

I need to get around to giving money to Dreamfall Chapters. Only like 40 hours left D:
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I watched the "15,000 backers" counter at the $20 tier rapidly counting down and decided that Yes, this time I was going to jump on the bandwagon, even though $20 is a heckuva lot more than I've spent on an individual computer game in a very long time.

There's something to be said for inXile's failure to show anything from the Wasteland 2 development before starting this up, though.

I just hope I finally get around to actually finishing Torment before December 2014 whatever actual date in the distant unforeseeable future this thing actually gets completed.

I gave them $50, for the $25 reward.

Holy crap. I'm so excited!
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:37 am UTC

Of course you know all these things will inevitably get knocked down to five bucks on Steam.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:08 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
I'd be more inclined to donate if the fucking comic would update ever.
I keep waffling over whether I'm going to chip in $10 for the PDF. On the one hand, it's a pretty nice comic, even though I haven't read very much of it. On the other, it's all just sitting there online and $10 for a PDF seems a bit steep.

Has anyone else here ever wound up with a PDF of a webcomic and found it vastly superior to reading the original?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Spark RPG.

I played this with Jason (the designer) at GenCon a few years back when it was still in its early stages. I had a good time with it, especially for such an early draft. It had its rough edges, but there was definitely something there. I'm excited to see what the final product is like.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
I keep waffling over whether I'm going to chip in $10 for the PDF. On the one hand, it's a pretty nice comic, even though I haven't read very much of it. On the other, it's all just sitting there online and $10 for a PDF seems a bit steep.

Has anyone else here ever wound up with a PDF of a webcomic and found it vastly superior to reading the original?

The only reason to buy the PDF, IMO, would be for the new content that's in The Tomorrow Girl, such as any new art and commentary it might contain. I enjoy the artist commentary in the webcomic collections that I own and consider it worthwhile, but YMMV.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

I've been disappointed by pdfs. It may due partly to my hardware, but I'll explain. I've had Penny Arcade ones - they don't fit on the screen easily, so you can page down, but you have to get the right zoom level to get all the words on there, but also be able to read it. Basically it's harder to navigate. Same with some 8-bit theatre. harder to navigate than the website, hard to get sizing right.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

I give money to projects like these solely to actually give the person money (it tickles my capitalist brain in the right way, unlike straight donating). So, I went with a higher tier for the Gold book, and would have gone for one of the really good ones had I the cash on hand.

I agree with others, though - PDFs of comics tend to be somewhat sucky imxp. However, there will be some new content, so it might still be worth it, particularly if $10 is basically just donation money to you.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

"Hyperreality is the most anticipated reality tv gameshow role-playing game of all time."
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/206 ... meshow-rpg

Looks intriguing. And I've met Tim a couple times, so I'm quite happy to throw a little money in to support him.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

The Veronica Mars kickstarter reached it's 2M goal in ~24 hrs.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:The Veronica Mars kickstarter reached it's 2M goal in ~24 hrs.

It was actually a lot less than that, something like 11 hours I believe. it made $2.35m it it's first day according to kicktraq, however, kicktraq records first day pledges from the time that the campaign begins (whenever that may be), until midnight, so that's not a good judge of first 24h pledges.
I made less than 900k in it's first full 24 hour day though, so as with all projects, it is slowing down, a lot, it has over $3m now, but I don't see it making more than $10m or maybe $15m in it's entire campaign to be honest.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Precision Machined Metal Gaming Dice! I am backing this because I'm a total sucker for metal dice and dice that roll fair. These are both! Woot!
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:36 am UTC

They added Patrick Rothfuss to the Tides of Numenera kickstarter. I think there should be enough overlap between people who read fantasd books and people who would be interested in the game to add a few backers. But I wonder whether it will even reach his stetch goal or the new 3,5mio one with Chris Avellone. It's terrible slow at the moment, like all kickstarters in the middle of the founding phase. Well maybe it will pick up some speed near the end.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Slow? Torment just had a 61k day, the seventh best so far. It just can't compare to 1400k on the first day.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

I really don't think they'll have any problems hitting the current stretch goals. Which is great because I love Patrick Rothfuss.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

I just backed Torment, and I'm very optimistic about it.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure I totally forgot to link Wicked Fantasy, a Pathfinder module/update/setting/thing by a local RPG legend. It's only got about 5 hours left.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

If you like mechs and FATE-based rpgs, check out Apotheosis Drive X.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Not directly gaming related, but some guys based a graphic novel on a session of Fiasco they played.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/173 ... bingo-baby

PeteP
What the peck?

Re: Kickstarter needle-pulled thing. Everything Goes Here.

Postby PeteP » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/494598080/the-gallery-six-elements
I wonder whether they were a bit early with their kickstarter. They target a peripheral which only 15 thousand persons ordered and only a few hundred already have. Currently their backers pledged ~41 each which means around 10% off all people who have ordered a rift would have to back them.
And now they are adding razer hydra support which is another peripheral.

Simius

Postby Simius » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Last day to back Torment! Looks like it's possible that they will reach $4m, between the kickstarter and paypall, but it might be close. Some pretty cool-looking stretch goals at $4m and $4.25m.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 am UTC

Simius wrote:Last day to back Torment! Looks like it's possible that they will reach $4m, between the kickstarter and paypall, but it might be close. Some pretty cool-looking stretch goals at $4m and $4.25m.

With paypal they need something like 70k for 4mio and the last day is usually fast, so I don't think that will be a problem. The real question is whether I switch to a different pledge tier...

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

This looks pretty cool as for assets and enemy animations, but the guy admittedly just learned to code. I dunno.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:This looks pretty cool as for assets and enemy animations, but the guy admittedly just learned to code. I dunno.

While true, he's also been in movie CGI for 15 years, so it's not like this is some asshole right out of DeVry wanting to make God of Warcraft:Halo BLOPS Omnigame.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Spark RPG.

I played this with Jason (the designer) at GenCon a few years back when it was still in its early stages. I had a good time with it, especially for such an early draft. It had its rough edges, but there was definitely something there. I'm excited to see what the final product is like.
Bumping this because of this awesome plug for the game: http://ryanmacklin.com/2013/04/get-your-spark-on/

Most notably: "Spark is about Samwise."

And a new one:
Bloom: Memories

Sounds interesting and I really dig the art style.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:
Simius wrote:Last day to back Torment! Looks like it's possible that they will reach $4m, between the kickstarter and paypall, but it might be close. Some pretty cool-looking stretch goals at $4m and $4.25m.

With paypal they need something like 70k for 4mio and the last day is usually fast, so I don't think that will be a problem. The real question is whether I switch to a different pledge tier...

With 5 hours to go, they might make 4.25M.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

doomtrader

Worlds of Magic - recreation of Master of Magic

Postby doomtrader » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Worlds of Magic is a genuine spiritual successor to the classic fantasy 4X games, with a D20 inspired tactical combat system!

There is an ongoing Kickstarter Campaign for it

If you like 4X games, please share it

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

So there's a neat flash game I played a while ago called Caravaneer, where you run a caravan doing trading runs between towns in a post apocalyptic wasteland. The combat and trading are both fun, albeit somewhat simplistic.

Well, turns out it's getting a sequel. Maybe. It's got a thing up on IndieGogo.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Spark RPG.

Bumping this because of this awesome plug for the game: http://ryanmacklin.com/2013/04/get-your-spark-on/

Most notably: "Spark is about Samwise."

And a new one:
Bloom: Memories

Sounds interesting and I really dig the art style.

Spark seems very close to Dogs in the Vineyard in its core concept, does it not?
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

I wouldn't be surprised. Dogs is hugely influential. I know Jason also pulled on Burning Wheel as well.

Mordus

Re: Worlds of Magic - recreation of Master of Magic

Postby Mordus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:41 am UTC

doomtrader wrote:Worlds of Magic is a genuine spiritual successor to the classic fantasy 4X games, with a D20 inspired tactical combat system!

Ahhhh, I wish I would have seen this before it expired. I would have given them all of my money. Probably more than I can reasonably afford. :(

emceng

Re: Worlds of Magic - recreation of Master of Magic

Postby emceng » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Mordus wrote:
doomtrader wrote:Worlds of Magic is a genuine spiritual successor to the classic fantasy 4X games, with a D20 inspired tactical combat system!

Ahhhh, I wish I would have seen this before it expired. I would have given them all of my money. Probably more than I can reasonably afford. :(

Huh? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304 ... ntasy-game

23 days left

Also, I've heard mixed reviews about SmallWorld. Is it worth picking up as a PC game? I don't have people that would play the board game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/day ... the-return

And for 8-bit lovers, this looks neat:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yac ... vel-knight
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Mordus

Postby Mordus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

You are correct sir. The first couple of times I had opened it it was just blank in that space (where it shows the countdown). I figured this meant it was already done. The third time I opened it though... 23 days.

And you show me a Small World 2 kickstarter? My wallet (and wife) hates you for this.

I am an avid board gamer and really really enjoy Small World. I'll play it anytime, anywhere. It's an excellent one to port over to Android and Apple. There is a good amount of luck in the game (dice, random race/power combos). Some of those race/power combos are amazing. Some are pretty terrible. I've seen a good strategy overcome a bad combo though. Just about every power/race can be taken advantage of if you use them in the right way. Plus since you have so many power/race combinations to choose from it really cuts down on the randomness and opens up different strategies in the game.

I'm fortunate to not play with a lot of people that are overly serious about it though. Don't get me wrong I play with some players that strategically are amazing at this game. They enjoy to teach and help us though. We find it easy to have fun even when we are clearly losing the game. This is a game that someone who knows the game can use it to beat up everyone else, but if you get a good group of people to play with it's one of the most fun games I've found. I have not played it on iOS, but the only thing I would worry about is really being able to see the board on a screen the same way you can in person. It would take some time for me to be able to see the strategies like I can when looking at a big(ish) board in front of me.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/viralgames/engine-heart-is-coming-to-a-store-near-you?ref=live

That is engine heart, a RPG that has you play the role of a household robot left after humanity has vanished. It is very light and simple.
418 I'm a teapot

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

I know a lot of people really excited about Golden Sky Stories. I'm not 100% sold yet, but I'm definitely intrigued.

Described as "A heartwarming tabletop RPG from Japan about magical animals helping people."

Kingreaper

Postby Kingreaper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

I recently launched a Kickstarter for a roleplaying product that's seeming quite popular: It's a deck of playing cards each of which describes an NPC so that you can quickly add them to your story when you find it's going in a direction you're not prepared for (or even when you just haven't had the time to spend preparing characters)

It's called Character Cards

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

so, two game related things, one of which is not a game.

First, Coup.

It is a very fun game involving bluffing that does not take long to play. This would be a second, larger printing rethemed from the original.

Secondly, Dark Dungeons The Movie!

If you are familiar with Chick Tracks, this is the one that explains how RPGs are evil. The original comic is freely available to read here.
418 I'm a teapot

Return to “Gaming”