Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ubik

Re: Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Postby Ubik » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 am UTC

Tangiers - Stealth driven by dark 20th century avant-garde. The project's title tells a lot, but to reiterate, it's a stealth game that's happens in a surreal world, but not the fish and giraffes variety as far as I can tell from the video.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Project Phoenix Indie Japanese RPG by some of the best talent out there... this looks amazing.

Spoiler:
The artstyle looks awesome

and the music will be composed by Nobuo Uematsu, so yeah.

I encourage everyone to put this game out there (for selfish reasons, I really really want this to succeed).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Project Phoenix Indie Japanese RPG by some of the best talent out there... this looks amazing.

Spoiler:

I encourage everyone to put this game out there (for selfish reasons, I really really want this to succeed).

It funded in 9 hours, so you're safe now.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:24 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:Project Phoenix Indie Japanese RPG by some of the best talent out there... this looks amazing.

Spoiler:

It funded in 9 hours, so you're safe now.

By succeed I don't mean finish the kickstarter, I mean get like 2million... or at least all the stretch goals.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Crikey! What is the deal with assembling these huge teams of talented people and then setting out to produce generic-amnesia-story in generic-boring-brown fantasy land!?

Golly, Orcs! And Elves! How edgy. I wonder if they'll ever burn down the protagonist's hometown.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Crikey! What is the deal with assembling these huge teams of talented people and then setting out to produce generic-amnesia-story in generic-boring-brown fantasy land!?

Golly, Orcs! And Elves! How edgy. I wonder if they'll ever burn down the protagonist's hometown.

Because you can tell whether a story is going to be generic in both content and implementation or not by single line summaries.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Well, for starters, it's more than a single line. And yes, if that is what they are choosing to put in the summary of the storyline, then either someone completely dropped the ball when it came to writing the summary or it is going to be largely generic.

Maybe the implementation will make up for it, but saddled with that kind of storyline, it would have to be pretty spectacular. On the other hand, if they're going with that storyline, it suggests that no one involved has any intention of doing something that isn't completely safe and hasn't been done a bazillion times already.

I mean, amnesia? AGAIN?! Gee whiz.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Well, for starters, it's more than a single line. And yes, if that is what they are choosing to put in the summary of the storyline, then either someone completely dropped the ball when it came to writing the summary or it is going to be largely generic.

I don't see it. They're slowly revealing stuff to keep the pace of information steady so it can't be that there is nothing wrong with the story, it has to be that someone fucked up the description or that the story is 'generic' (and thus bad?).

Maybe the implementation will make up for it, but saddled with that kind of storyline, it would have to be pretty spectacular. On the other hand, if they're going with that storyline, it suggests that no one involved has any intention of doing something that isn't completely safe and hasn't been done a bazillion times already.

Try reducing ANY story to single line plot points and still have it sound good and not 'generic'.

I mean, amnesia? AGAIN?! Gee whiz.

You think amnesia is particularly overdone compared to the trillion other fantasy tropes that virtually every fantasy game, even highly praised ones, uses? The last game I played that uses amnesia as a major plot point was Planescape Torment which is perhaps the game whose story is most praised of any other game (and it is a western game at that).

I'm not saying it's going to be good, it could end up being total shit. But saying it's shit from the outset just because of the tiny summary they give is a bit too presumptiuous... ESPECIALLY because it's going to be a Japanese narrative which are almost always character focused, meaning the scenario summary is completely superfluous to the actual story.

Edit:

Interview with the lead dude.

http://www.rpgsite.net/articles/460-pro ... roaki-yura
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Death Road to Canada

Pixel-graphics zombie game involving you road-tripping to Canada to avoid the apocalypse, and picking up companions along the way. Looks awesome, and it's even got the possibility for a Tokyo Jungle scenario where it's just you controlling a herd of dogs driving a car to Canada. (One of the reward levels is to unlock the "start as a puppy/kitten" option, rather than having to start as a human and obtain a dog in the game normally.)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Pretty sure everyone has seen this by now:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mig ... ighty-no-9

Kickstarter is so awesome, this looks like it is going to be amazing. I am just kinda disappointed that Project Phoenix isn't getting this kind of support.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

We Didn't PLaytest This Pasted-On Theme At All

exactly what it says, a new set of We Didn't Playtest This At All, a very fast and silly game.
418 I'm a teapot

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Ah, so tempting! I've had my eye on the original for a while, but haven't found a way to obtain it cheaply.

I've seen Legacies in store, but I don't much care for that idea. And the notion of cards that obliges people to get up and dance displeases me. The original didn't have anything like that, did it?

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:47 am UTC

the original had silly rules too.
418 I'm a teapot

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:30 am UTC

Story Update for Project Phoenix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Ea-IcWgK8
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Not a game, but gaming related:

LoadingReadyRun are kick starting a final season of sketches.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Parallax - Master of Orion spiritual successor w/ Timothy Zahn

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prototypex/timothy-zahns-parallax-a-retro-4x-conquer-the-gala

As a great fan of the original two Master of Orion games, I'm cautiously optimistic about a game with the same flavor released with modern tools and using modern technologies. You can bet I'm going to suggest everything that wasn't perfect about the original MoO and MoO2 in the forums should this fund :)

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

BigGiantCircles (Jimmy Hinson), chip tune/VGM composer is kickstarting "The Glory Days", a follow up to "Imposter Nostalgia".
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Peter Molydeux compelled me* to note the Kickstarter project Neverending Nightmares here. The designer is open about his depression, OCD and the anxieties they bring to him, and wants to use them in a game. A more noble goal of it is to show people they're not alone with their problems. The result probably won't be all that game-y and I got sort of more low-key vibe from watching a let's play of the demo but in the dev diary one of the stated goals is to have more interactive content in the game. Two games mentioned as inspiration are Silent Hill 2 and Amnesia.

It has less than two days to make it to the goal.

* Not personally. Not his project - I think.

Edit: Ouch! A backer backed 9500 USD instead of 95 because they typed in 95,00 - used comma instead of point as decimal separator. The project went through and won't allow them to reduce the amount because it would drop the collected money below the threshold. Now the backers are essentially helping that person out. I hope they get compensated from the project budget if things don't work out other way.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

Might be a little too late, but there are 22 hours remaining on a kickstarter for Sunless Sea, a game made by the people who make Fallen London, formerly known as Echo Bazaar. If you don't know it, I urge you to give it a try. First of all, it's free, but more importantly, the writing is absolutely marvellous (which is a good thing, seeing as it is a text based game =P) and there is a lot of content to go around (the text is reportedly longer than War and Peace... and growing).

Sunless Sea is going to be 2D rogue-like-like game set in the same delicious universe as Fallen London. The trailer describes it best: "Explore an underground ocean. Battle sea monsters. Discover strange lands. Go insane. Eat your crew."

Their influences are listed as: FTL; Don't Starve; Strange Adventures in Infinite Space; Sid Meier’s Pirates; Taipan; Elite; roguelikes; the Crimson Permanent Assurance; the Irish immrama myths.

Anyway, there is less than a day remaining and the game has been funded, but it's going to be close call to meet the first stretch goal, which would mean an expansion pack down the road adding zubmarines, free for all backers at Zailor (£10) level.

Oh, and even if you don't want to back this project, you should really give Fallen London a try. It's a wonderful game.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

The Mandate, which is pitching a "complete sci-fi RPG experience." Design a ship, crew it, go on missions and quests, engage in Starfleet Academy-style space combat, and isometric ground combat/RPG-style exploration. It's crazy ambitious, but I want to see it made.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Markus__1

Postby Markus__1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

I'd like to point out that Worlds of Magic is doing a second kickstarter for an expanded art and tools budget - with 23 days left. It has already made its modest target, now it's about the stretch goals.

They have a public alpha of the battle board, so you can get a first taste of the tactical combat - either for Windows or for Unity Web Player (>100MB in either form).

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Obduction, "an all-new, immersive adventure game from the award-winning creators of Myst and Riven."

I've always been a huge fan of Cyan so I'm really excited to see them doing something new.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:33 am UTC

21 hours left on this awesome-looking set of metal fantasy dragon coins: http://kickstarter.com/projects/miniongames/metal-dragon-coins

It's already hit all the coin-based stretch goals, so they're producing all 8 coins, with denominations of 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, 25, 50, and 100. If it makes about $1500 more, the coins will all get an extra mm bigger, making them way cooler.

Plus, the $20 add-on for the space coins is awesome.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:33 am UTC

CastAR :twisted:

CastAR is a unique new AR/VR system that supports multiple ways to play. It's in the last 24 hours now and is well past funded. It looks awesome.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

slash: romance without boundaries.
slash is a card & storytelling game where you try to create the best fan-fiction romantic couples. Hilarity often ensues.

Basically, an Apples to Apples-esque play mechanic, but you're playing fiction/non-fictional people to create ultimate fan-fiction pairings.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Grapple Knight, a 16-bit-style platformer with a swing-and-grapple mechanic inspired by Link's Hook Shot in Smash Bros. Bonus perks include a physical game box designed to resemble a Sega Mega Drive game, and a poster drawn by one of the artists of Adventure Time. Looks like they've just reached their goal with a week to go, but it would be nice to see them hit some of those stretch goals.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Last day of Reset on Indiegogo. It's single player co-op puzzle game, co-op being realized by time travel. Player character is a robot in a future where humans apparently no longer exist.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:24 pm UTC

Ubik wrote:Edit: Ouch! A backer backed 9500 USD instead of 95 because they typed in 95,00 - used comma instead of point as decimal separator. The project went through and won't allow them to reduce the amount because it would drop the collected money below the threshold. Now the backers are essentially helping that person out. I hope they get compensated from the project budget if things don't work out other way.

That's crazy. Probably could have the credit company halt the charge...relying on refunds is problematic, since amazon and kickstarter are both gonna take their cut, which is a few times larger than the original pledge!

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

Iron Edda: War of Metal and Bone (for Fate Core).

A friend's Kickstarter for a Fate Core game/setting. Basic idea: Dwarves (of the Nordic kind) have started making giant war automata. Humans have responded by figuring out a way to bind human spirits to the bones of dead giants.And if I remember right, Loki is behind it. Because, duh.

I got to play a session of this with Tracy last year and had a really good time with it. Creating a holdfast together at the table and creating bonds with the other characters was very cool. I'm not the biggest fan of Fate, but I had a really good time with Iron Edda.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 pm UTC

Unsung Story, a tactical RPG with support from the creator of Final Fantasy Tactics (and FFXII and Vagrant Story and Tactics Ogre).
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

418 I'm a teapot

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 pm UTC

Project: Dark.

This looks really intriguing and has me pretty excited. I've wondered for a long time if something like this could be done in a tabletop rpg. I know a few people that got to playtest it and they all seem to agree that it captures those stealth/adventure/exploration aspects really well. I can't wait to give it a try.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

Darkest Dungeons. Looks really cool, especially the affliction system. I saw the trailer a couple months back so I've been eagerly awaiting the Kickstarter finally going live.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

Kingdom Builder Big Box includes the award winning game, its two expansions, 2 promos, alternate pieces for each of the 5 players, as well as an expansion to be released after the game comes out.

On top of that it is a fantastic game, and very simple overall, and a ton of variation between games.
418 I'm a teapot

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:59 pm UTC

Mage 20th Anniversary

This is the third 20th Anniversary book for White Wolf's classic World of Darkness. It's been up for about five days, and it's set to be funded April 2nd.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:Kingdom Builder Big Box includes the award winning game, its two expansions, 2 promos, alternate pieces for each of the 5 players, as well as an expansion to be released after the game comes out.

On top of that it is a fantastic game, and very simple overall, and a ton of variation between games.

Ok, I find this really strange - every single one of the 'limited' funding levels only has 1 spot left - 1 out of 350 at the $70, 1 out of 250 at $72, etc.

Oh well, I'm not spending $70 on another board game I'll never play.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 pm UTC

You liked Outcast? I liked Outcast. I really liked Outcast. It's an open world action adventure game all the way from year 1999. Action hero is sent to a parallel world of voxel graphics and largely open-ended gameplay to recover an interdimensional probe and to save the Earth of course.

There's a kickstarter for its remake now, with the hope of enough success to get momentum for an actual sequel.

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:39 am UTC

So, I saw this at PAX a couple of weeks ago. They are making a gamepad with analog buttons and a WASD like layout for better movement control in games, while still retaining mouse aiming. I didn't get to try it out in person because of lines, but it looked very cool, and seemed like the devs were skilled and can probably pull it off if the kickstarter campaign goes through (which sadly isn't looking great...). Worth checking out, though!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon May 19, 2014 7:22 am UTC

Witchmarsh:
An action RPG set in 1920s Massachusetts. Create and manage a team of investigators in a story-driven supernatural mystery.

The art looks fantastic (I always loved the pixel style).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:13 pm UTC

Remember "Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared", the alarmingly disturbing pair of Youtube videos? They've got a Kickstarter afoot to make more.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... the-series

Kicktraq looks a bit iffy. :-(

Return to “Gaming”