Elder Scrolls: Discussion

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EmptySet

Re: Elder Scrolls: Discussion

Postby EmptySet » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:
Dibley wrote: but I usually play atronach, so half of the time it would just give me a large bolus of magicka.

You are the very first person I've ever met who does that.
Is it any good, or do you just not use much magic/cheat to get tonnes of potions?

I always thought that Atronach was the strongest sign in Morrowind, even without cheese. It permanently gave you ridiculously powerful spell absorption in exchange for a negligible drawback. No recharging magicka? It doesn't recharge anyway, except when you sleep. Just make some cheap enchanted items for common utility spells, and chug potions when necessary. If you join the Mages' Guild, you can get dozens of free potions, which should see you through until you can afford to buy as many as you need.

The next best, or maybe equal best, would be the one that boosts your endurance (The Lady?) since raising endurance as fast as possible was beneficial.

Menacing Spike wrote:But yeah, it's a very good way to up the difficulty and prevent your from spamming invis/heal/berserk on everything. So there.

I recall the time I made a ring with constant effect invisibility (called "The One Ring", naturally). Whenever you did something to break the invisibility, you could just open your inventory, then take it off and put it back on again straight away to instantly turn invisible again. Yes, it was totally ridiculous and game-breaking, though to be honest I mostly just used it to avoid Cliff Racer Battle #286332.

dhamsy

Postby dhamsy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

Dason wrote:I explored for a while and got attacked by a persistent as fuck bird thing from out of nowhere.

Ah yes, my favourite part of Morrowind. I remember times when three or four Cliff Racers would descend at once...

The only problem I had with Morrowind was that I never had enough self control; I once ended up with an entire room full of Daedric weapons taken from summoned Dremora, which made the rest of the game far too easy.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

Morrowind was always trivial in difficulty if you didn't mind abusing any of it's systems. Alchemy was the simplest and quickest but bartering could be exploited for infinite money in a few hours work, enchanting was almost as bad as alchemy, and most of the elite endgame hidden items could be gotten in just a few minutes if you knew where to go.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:53 am UTC

Also, pillows. Houses just full of pillows.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:00 am UTC

I once made it my mission to steal (or buy) every candle and lantern in the game. I don't think I got even half of them, but the framerate in the room I kept them in went down to somewhere around slideshow.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:56 am UTC

poxic wrote:I once made it my mission to steal (or buy) every candle and lantern in the game. I don't think I got even half of them, but the framerate in the room I kept them in went down to somewhere around slideshow.

Yes! Candle collections are the best collections.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:33 am UTC

Make sure you don't attract the attentions of Candlejack. My friend did this, his framerate was fine, but then he
Last edited by bigglesworth on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

I stole the pants of every single person I killed. It amused me.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

archeleus

Elder Scrolls star signs

Postby archeleus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

What star sign would you recommend for a High Elf Battlemage?

I considered Atronach, but I don't want to keep using potions/welkynd stones (in case of oblivion). When I played Morrowind I was born under the Ritual. Mara's gift has proven quite useful, but now I want a change.
(I've completed and wasted countless hours of both games albeit a few years ago and am now looking for a challenge so recommend accordingly, thanks)

(Okay so I guess I can put this post in a morrowind/oblivion thread, but they're all buried atm and I don't want to dig it up.)
I write a blog rant here.

Menacing Spike

Re: Elder Scrolls star signs

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

Atronarch is ridiculously OP, and balances out your frailty against magic. And if you enchant your way to 100% absorbtion, mana ceases to be an issue.

According to the wiki (and my own experience):
Having active Spell Absorption effects can block the use of a Telekinesis spell. Because spell absorption returns the base cost of a spell, absorbing a Telekinesis spell at Mysticism levels above 33 will actually cause an increase in Magicka. Absorbing at 100 Mysticism returns 5 times the nominal cost, so this is an effective way for Atronach-birthsign characters to regain Magicka. In addition, this will not raise your Mysticism skill, so using this trick won't interfere with Efficient Leveling.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Atronarch is ridiculously OP, and balances out your frailty against magic. And if you enchant your way to 100% absorbtion, mana ceases to be an issue.

According to the wiki (and my own experience):
Having active Spell Absorption effects can block the use of a Telekinesis spell. Because spell absorption returns the base cost of a spell, absorbing a Telekinesis spell at Mysticism levels above 33 will actually cause an increase in Magicka. Absorbing at 100 Mysticism returns 5 times the nominal cost, so this is an effective way for Atronach-birthsign characters to regain Magicka. In addition, this will not raise your Mysticism skill, so using this trick won't interfere with Efficient Leveling.
Yeah, go with atronach. Slightly annoying at the lower levels, but whatever.

And DO NOT get apprentice. You end up with about a 300% weakeness to fire.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Morrowind was always trivial in difficulty if you didn't mind abusing any of it's systems. Alchemy was the simplest and quickest but bartering could be exploited for infinite money in a few hours work, enchanting was almost as bad as alchemy, and most of the elite endgame hidden items could be gotten in just a few minutes if you knew where to go.

I agree, but it was much more fun if you didn't. For example, I put a block on the Lord's Mail etc. after the first time I got it.

But the first time you find an OP item is awesome. My favourite one was Eildon's Ward, where I went into the dungeon, got to the end and found a Daedric Shield to replace my Saint's Shield...

"SWEET! I finally found one!"

*checks rest of the chests, walks out*

I don't know why I did this, but then when I got to the exit, I stopped and turned around. Then I looked up, to see a glistening shield. After readying my levitate spell, and getting up there... let's just say I dropped my Daedric Shield :P

bigglesworth wrote:Make sure you don't attract the attentions of Candljack. My friend did this, his framerate was fine, but then he

Candlejack? What the hell are you
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

Ze's looking for a challenge, taking Atronach makes the game too easy in the late stages.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

I mean...this question is really broad. What kind of class do you want to play? Are you a perfectionist, or just want to zoom through the plot? What kind of challenge do you want?

That being said, I'd go with the Steed so I could get around faster, or the thief as luck is the hardest attribute to level.
archeleus wrote:(Okay so I guess I can put this post in a morrowind/oblivion thread, but they're all buried atm and I don't want to dig it up.)

At the time of posting, there is an Elder Scrolls thread literally right below this one.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Ze's looking for a challenge, taking Atronach makes the game too easy in the late stages.

Then he can just amp the difficulty and run around naked, I don't see the problem.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:or the thief as luck is the hardest attribute to level.

Yeah, but if you're playing with vanilla leveling, you're doing it wrong. There are so many mods out there to fix Bethesda's broken leveling system.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:33 am UTC

nowfocus wrote:I mean...this question is really broad. What kind of class do you want to play? Are you a perfectionist, or just want to zoom through the plot? What kind of challenge do you want?

Already played through the game. Now just roaming around completing all the side questions/playing one or two story line quests when I'm bored and no, I'm not a perfectionist.

I guess I'll go with Atronach, it seems like a challenge for a High Elf in the starting stages and I since I've a lot of work these days I'll prolly not play it so often as to get to the easy later stages that fast.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:22 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Make sure you don't attract the attentions of Candljack. My friend did this, his framerate was fine, but then he

Oh not this again! Last time it took six months for the population
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

guale

Postby guale » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:25 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:

You're just faking, for Candlejack to come kidnap you you have to

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

guale wrote:
headprogrammingczar wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:

You're just faking, for Candlejack to come kidnap you you have to

Dammit, you're right. This is the first I have heard of the Candlejack meme though, so
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

Knock it off.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Knock it off.

I'm disappointed in you. That should say "Hey, cut it out."

On a more relevant note, does anyone know if the water shader from the Morrowind Graphics Extender has been brought over to Oblivion since Oblivion's water is terrible?

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

does MGE actually work? I think it's a myth.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

guale

Postby guale » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

mosc wrote:does MGE actually work? I think it's a myth.

It works beautifully if you can play at around 4 fps or have an absolute beast of a computer. Either that or I'm doing it wrong.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

Oh, it works. But yeah, framerate takes a big hit unless you have a decent machine and know how to configure it optimally, or want *all* the bells and whistles and have that beast of a machine.

There are actually things you can do with MGE that make the game a little *less* intensive to run as well, IIRC. But they're not significant enough to let you play on a machine that won't run vanilla to begin with.

Check out http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/ for a detailed guide for setting up a particular configuration that polishes up the game quite a bit (but be warned, it constitutes a *lot* more than just MGE).
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

mosc wrote:does MGE actually work? I think it's a myth.

I never managed to install it, but the BethSoft forums told me that you had to do some insane twerking...

I just use FPS extender, myself. Makes the view distance longer.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

I have it working fine. But it takes me back to the old days of computing, when running something at the highest settings was simply impossible. I understand it's the shaders that really cripple the FPS, but I mostly use it for distant lands - extending out the max view distance by say x3-x5 say - and it runs fine.

Damn but some of the pretty of folk running the game at 4fps look nice. And hey, there is a version of MGE with dynamic shadows. Might have to try that out.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

guale

Postby guale » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:I have it working fine. But it takes me back to the old days of computing, when running something at the highest settings was simply impossible. I understand it's the shaders that really cripple the FPS, but I mostly use it for distant lands - extending out the max view distance by say x3-x5 say - and it runs fine.

Damn but some of the pretty of folk running the game at 4fps look nice. And hey, there is a version of MGE with dynamic shadows. Might have to try that out.

OH MY GOD! That looks amazing. I think my poor GeForce 8600 GT would catch on fire though. I for one cannot wait for one of these new engines people are writing to actually be released so all of this can actually be incorporated into the game properly.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

My MGE with the Brorrowind package of graphics enhancements runs at 60 FPS indoors (with SSAO) and about 30 outdoors (No SSAO, it conflicts terribly with the grass textures).

But then, I've got a GTX 480...

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

Hm. I may have to try this out, but I'm not sure how much a graphics update would increase my enjoyment of the game (compared to just playing it for the few hours it would take to get it to work).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 am UTC

My Morrowind (with all patches) runs at around 130-140 fps outside and over 200 inside even with MGE. I think I'm doing it wrong because I've a 480 gtx as well and the guy above gets 30 outside. Will check out the blog and do what it says sometime when I've time.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:47 am UTC

I can see why the writer of that guide considers Distant Land something of a spoiler- everything seems so much closer when you can see it. Also, I have discovered that the grass mods make it difficult to walk through the grass, and thus they are out.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:I can see why the writer of that guide considers Distant Land something of a spoiler- everything seems so much closer when you can see it.

Yeah, you really realize how small Morrowind is when you can see Vivec from Balmora. On the other hand, it's kind of atmospheric to have Red Mountain visible from everywhere on the island.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

archeleus wrote:My Morrowind (with all patches) runs at around 130-140 fps outside and over 200 inside even with MGE. I think I'm doing it wrong because I've a 480 gtx as well and the guy above gets 30 outside. Will check out the blog and do what it says sometime when I've time.

I'm not using the Morrowind Expanded guide, I'm using Brorrowind. I also don't know what settings you are running from MGE.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
Vaniver wrote:I can see why the writer of that guide considers Distant Land something of a spoiler- everything seems so much closer when you can see it.

Yeah, you really realize how small Morrowind is when you can see Vivec from Balmora. On the other hand, it's kind of atmospheric to have Red Mountain visible from everywhere on the island.

I live in an area that has some topography, and on a clear day as you drive over certain parts of the interstate, you can see more than one mountain 100 miles or more distant. You can also see cities and features of landscape in the Shasta Valley some 20-30 miles distant, at least. Being able to see things certainly changes your perspective, but to me, it's the time taken to walk between Vivec and Balmora that really makes the island seem small. It takes me longer to drive to the next town North of me than it does to walk that route in Morrowind.

And believe me, you can see Mount Shasta from everywhere in this part of the state, provided the weather is clear and it's not blocked by trees, structures or local topography.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Levitate makes the journey quick. It's the way they made the hill on the far side of fort monmooth that makes you walk all the way around when you're low level. Also, the series of turns to fork off to the east in the lava river and then head south bypassing pelegrad is very unnatural and hard to follow so it's easy to get lost. The actual distance as the crows fly between fort monmooth and foreign quarters of vivec is about the same as between the foreign quarters and vivec's shrine.

Man, I've played way too much Morrowind.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

Dammit, y'all are making me wanna go back and actually play Morrowind. But i know i'm just gonna spend two hours downloading it then play for 30 minutes and get pissed off by having to switch between weapons and spells and quit. Gragh!
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

guale

Postby guale » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:05 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Dammit, y'all are making me wanna go back and actually play Morrowind. But i know i'm just gonna spend two hours downloading it then play for 30 minutes and get pissed off by having to switch between weapons and spells and quit. Gragh!

Fliggerty has a mod that fixes that problem. It's called Oblivion Style Spellcasting.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I'm not using the Morrowind Expanded guide, I'm using Brorrowind. I also don't know what settings you are running from MGE.

A collection of graphical mods, I see. Well I'll download it and spend some time making it work later.

I was running MGE with the "best graphics quality" or something like that selected.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 am UTC

archeleus wrote:I was running MGE with the "best graphics quality" or something like that selected.

Honestly, I don't even know what that button does. It doesn't seem to change anything.

Return to “Gaming”