FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

The answer is no, you're not doing anything wrong. The more you play, the more you'll understand the random events and how to not lose scrap/hull from them, and the better you'll become at making decisions that maximize your scrap income and minimize your hull damage.

The last run through I had with the Mantis B form, I had like 360 scrap at the 5th level with a nearly fully upgraded ship.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:The last run through I had with the Mantis B form, I had like 360 scrap at the 5th level with a nearly fully upgraded ship.

But Mantis B is trivial. You can win most fights in seconds if you find 2 other mantis crew, while using no ressources and getting a large amount of them.

(okay you may have to use missiles against medbays and the def drone in though fights but that's about it)

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Postby Cobramaster » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote:
Will wrote:
Cobramaster wrote:And on top of that I found a mod that disables the Rebel fleet allowing you to play it as a roguelike with a destination but no schedule and it really opens up the game.

Link plz.

http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Mods

The mod itself, and a handy mod manager
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:The last run through I had with the Mantis B form, I had like 360 scrap at the 5th level with a nearly fully upgraded ship.

But Mantis B is trivial. You can win most fights in seconds if you find 2 other mantis crew, while using no ressources and getting a large amount of them.

(okay you may have to use missiles against medbays and the def drone in though fights but that's about it)

Yeah, I'm not saying every run turns out like this. I'm just stating the upper limit of scrap availability I've seen.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Veito, won't having Autopilot but no captain effectively halve your evasion?

Hence the (or 7) in brackets. But yes.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:47 pm UTC

Holy crap, the boss is a wall.

I'm needing to milk each sector before moving on to stand a chance. Apparently having both cloaking and a functional teleporter (and maybe even a defense drone) will help, but I have yet to acquire all of those prior to engaging.

I've unlocked the Engi and Zoltan ships so far. Zoltan's my favorite of the three; halberd beam is awesome for ripping apart systems/hull. On the later levels it needs to be supplemented with additional firepower to reduce shields, but eh.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

Yeah, the first time I got a pike beam, I couldn't figure out how it worked. Once I figured out that I needed to beat the shields down, though, it is a fantastic weapon.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

That's why staggering a good beam weapon with a missile aimed at their shield room is a particularly fun combination.

I also really like the bio-beam, especially when crew gather to repair a damaged system.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:16 pm UTC

philsov wrote:Holy crap, the boss is a wall.

Yep just fought him for the first time with the engi ship. I only had 1 ion cannon and 1 burst laser plus 1 attack drone, needless to say I didn't make a dent.

Any tips out there for how to unlock more ships?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Postby Cobramaster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

This has all of the tips. The Engi is the easiest to unlock, and its B layout was not difficult for me but I think I lucked into it. The other ships though have specific tasks that the wiki can help you with.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:12 am UTC

Even unlocking the ships is based on luck/randomness. I have encountered the crystal stasis pod probably four times, and just once have I encountered someone who knows how to fix it. The crystal person who appeared told me to investigate near the Rock Homeworlds. I only had one more sector left before The Last Stand, and it wasn't the Rock Homeworlds. I conclude that it was impossible for me to complete that quest during that run.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 pm UTC

Yes, luck in this game is simply of too much importance. There is nothing bad in randomness, it just feels like my decisions (those I can truly make and not those that are of the type "risk losing crew for some scrap or not" OR "risk loosing hull damage for a new crewmember or not") are rather meaningless because once I know what each encounter does, I'm just choosing what I think I need or what is best and move on.
And here is my only option: where to? obviously there is no way to distinguish the nodes and adv. sensors don't help at all.

Even with this luck driven gameplay it's fun game. My favourite ship so far? Zoltan B. I simply love the layout. each room accessible from a corridor, corridors for individually venting each room. Small, smart and compressed layout at that. And 3 starting zoltans! What's not to love? Sure lvl1 shields cost 100sc but (1)you can "buy" them anywhere and it's still less than stealth ship's 150sc for the whole subsystem; and (2) you've got zoltan shield.

Best trick yet: (spoilered as it is probably a glitch, although not really gamebreaking)
Spoiler:
lvl3 stealth powered with 3 zoltans. As soon as the stealth ends, remove zoltans from the room, regaining power for the time the stealth system reloads. Oh, and Zoltan B has the Stealth room just beside shields, which you rarely need to work at the same time. What a coincidence.

As for the boss:
Spoiler:
I mostly go for the boss the usual way of boarding during first encounter, killing almost all the crew, although I found out that

2xantiship drone mk1 +
Glaive(3dmg beam) + burst II + s.bomb + 1ENE ion OR heavy laser I +
weapon preigniter (is that the right name?)

is enough firepower to deal with all 3 forms of the boss simply by shooting it and taking all the damage.

I still mostly play on easy though, some normal runs showed me that nothing gets really harder, but you get less scrap and things only get more annoying that way. The enemy generation mechanism is wickedly random too - I once got from full hull to K.O. fighting with auto-Scout! On easy!
Don't get me started on the Mysterious Ship... I think I will never get it.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

I'm on a run now where I lost two of my three crew members in the second sector because I thought the pirates surrendering would make the boarding party leave (this is the first time I have surrendered, and it was because the boarding party was kicking my ass). They didn't, so my two dudes died. I usually just ditch it at this point, but I had read somewhere in this thread the idea of putting a single guy in the cockpit and then opening the rest of the doors in order to kill boarders. So, I continued on, and now I'm doing fairly well with three shield upgrades, a 4-energy drone system, fully upgraded blast doors (to assist in the aforementioned strategy) and I'm just kind of rocking encounters.

The only thing that would outright screw me is if the enemy hits my o2 system with a missile right off the bat, since I probably won't be able to kill them fast enough to be able to switch out a drone for the repairbot and repair it before I die. Of course, I could deploy my defense drone I, or keep the repairbot there, but I prefer to go ahead and use my anti-ship I and beam I, because. . .fuck it. It's fun.

I only have the Engi ship so far and have never used a teleporter (sadface). This game is pretty fun, but I've died way too many times to o2 shennanigans. Argh. Why won't my crew put on some spacesuits :(

edit: I also just came across a Cloaking System for sale, and I'm rather tempted to buy it.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

So, I'm thinking about getting this, but I have a couple of questions:

1. How fast paced is it? Given the number of factors you have to consider, I would hope you have a little bit of time to think through your strategy.

2. I know this is subjective, but does it work with quick play sessions or do you need to commit to longer sessions to really enjoy it?
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:14 pm UTC

1. It has a pause function, and while the game is paused you can still take certain actions (redirecting power, assigning weapon targets, ordering your crew to move, opening and closing doors). The game also pauses if you alt+tab away from it, which I find very useful for playing on the sly :)

2. Depends what you mean by short sessions. I did my first run through playing between incubations, so maybe an hour over the course of 6 or so, broken up quite a bit.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

After three failed playthroughs with the Engi ship (I'm bad at this game and the boss is hard), I get the Drone Recovery Arm in the first sector. . and then in the next sector FIVE dudes beam onto my ship. Argh.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:So, I'm thinking about getting this, but I have a couple of questions:

1. How fast paced is it? Given the number of factors you have to consider, I would hope you have a little bit of time to think through your strategy.

2. I know this is subjective, but does it work with quick play sessions or do you need to commit to longer sessions to really enjoy it?

1. It's not. The only "Time based" bits are combat, which are completely pausable, and you can order people to do things and weapon systems/droids to fire/activate while paused. Even when in "real time", if there's no invasion force and you're not teleporting over, due to the weapon reload times it might as well be turn based.

2. Without one of the mentioned mods to change how the game works, I can't see a session lasting more than 2 hours, and that's stretching it. My average session is about 10 minutes - though my average session that I make it to the third system is closer to 40-50 minutes, a lot of times I'm dead before I'm through the second system, and have been playing for maybe 5 minutes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:2. I know this is subjective, but does it work with quick play sessions or do you need to commit to longer sessions to really enjoy it?
Most of my sessions have been only an hour long, which is enough to put in a good run once you know what you're doing. (While you're learning, and if you get unlucky, you can die much more quickly.) I find those more pleasant than doing lots of runs back to back.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:1. It's not. The only "Time based" bits are combat, which are completely pausable, and you can order people to do things and weapon systems/droids to fire/activate while paused. Even when in "real time", if there's no invasion force and you're not teleporting over, due to the weapon reload times it might as well be turn based.

Which is everything, by the way. So it's real time, but you can pause it and give every possible command, then let time go forward. I do this a lot, basically pausing in between each shot to adjust targets and before burst fire weapons and missiles appear on my screen to manage cloaking.

It works well with quick play sessions in my opinion because you can save and quit on the map, and you're not really going to forget what you were doing (since you can look at all your inventory for what items you have, the map for quests, etc., and your weapon loadout will determine how you run the ship).

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:19 am UTC

Wow, this game is addictive...

I dread boarding parties the most. Even when I have blast doors and manage to suffocate them, I still end up losing half my crew. When I go through Mantis space I just pray to the RNG gods I don't get boarded.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 am UTC

You will get better at that as time goes on.

My personal trick is to fight them with however many people i need to match them (or more, if they're available). When health gets low, pause, then have the low health guys run to the medbay while you pull someone else off of a system to fight them. Your systems are alternately unarmed, but no crew will die and it'll only last for a small portion of a minute before the enemies die or are ported back to their ship.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:18 am UTC

My strategy is to vent the ship so that they are forced to the med bay and fight them there. It is impossible to lose folk when fighting 1v1 in the med bay. You also don't always need to vent the whole ship, just enough that the med bay is the closest room with a system and air.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:28 am UTC

I've only played a handful of times, but I welcome boarding parties as a way to train my hand to hand combat skill early. I think you definitely need to milk each sector and jump out just before the rebels reach the exit. I'm confused how people are playing so fast, it takes me hours to do a full run.

My very first run through I had everything needed to get the crystal ship but I let my crystal man die accidentally because I didn't realize automated scout ships didn't have oxygen. Two or three jumps later I find the crystal gate in the rock homeworld.

Rockmen are my favorite boarders. They fight well in flaming or oxygen deprived rooms. If you can damage the shields with a bomb or missile then teleport them over to prevent repairs it's wonderful.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:31 am UTC

Kulantan wrote:My strategy is to vent the ship so that they are forced to the med bay and fight them there. It is impossible to lose folk when fighting 1v1 in the med bay. You also don't always need to vent the whole ship, just enough that the med bay is the closest room with a system and air.

I... didn't think of that. That sounds like an excellent plan.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:58 am UTC

Btw, anyone know exactly what you need to copy to transfer your progress to a new computer?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Rockmen are my favorite boarders. They fight well in flaming or oxygen deprived rooms. If you can damage the shields with a bomb or missile then teleport them over to prevent repairs it's wonderful.

Just to point out, Rockmen ARE immune to fire, but they are most certainly not immune to asphyxiation.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Rockmen are my favorite boarders. They fight well in flaming or oxygen deprived rooms. If you can damage the shields with a bomb or missile then teleport them over to prevent repairs it's wonderful.

Just to point out, Rockmen ARE immune to fire, but they are most certainly not immune to asphyxiation.

That would be Boarder/Anti-personel drones (and to a lesser extent, crystal-men)

On a side note, I managed to get my first crystal man, but even though the 2 sectors after I got him were red (or rather, all 4 of them), note of them were rock homeworlds :(

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

I just unlocked the Rock ship and it looks depressing. no airlocks, so I do plan on lighting every room on fire. but starting only with missile weapons will bite.
418 I'm a teapot

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:I just unlocked the Rock ship and it looks depressing. no airlocks, so I do plan on lighting every room on fire. but starting only with missile weapons will bite.

Fire destroys the systems in a room, unless its something that doesnt happen on the rock ship.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

it has lots of internal rooms and doors, so I plan on getting level 3 doors and level 2 life support and then lighting everything but system rooms on fire to deal with the possibility of boarders
418 I'm a teapot

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:I just unlocked the Rock ship and it looks depressing. no airlocks, so I do plan on lighting every room on fire. but starting only with missile weapons will bite.

but... You are talking about Rock type B, right? type A has airlocks (and doors leading to SPAAACE) in the middle, on left (aft) and right (fore).
and yes - fire destroys systems and spreads. Unless maxed out doors can keep it from spreading... I never buy max lvl doors though - feels like a waste once I have a well trained combat team.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

I just encountered an automated ship with weaponry insufficient to penetrate my shields. I equipped only lasers that will not completely penetrate their shields, and as long as the battle runs it grinds up the experience of my crewmembers. Turn off the auto-pause feature in the options menu, and now I can browse the web while my crew masters skills.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:54 am UTC

I think for a second version of this game the pursuers should progress in real time (paused when any menus are open of course). That would add a lot of pressure to otherwise easy battles, and it would make faster FLT charging more meaningful.

Izawwlgood wrote:

They last 50% longer in vacuum then other folks do. I can use them to raid the shield room of an unmanned drone and teleport them out before they suffocate. Be careful about the fact the cloaking prevents retrieving them though, that sucked one time...

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:47 am UTC

yay, finally beat it (on easy)!

Having a teleporter early on is awesome. Ships with dead crewmates make a lot more scrap than dead ships. Also acquiring the Heal Bomb made for some long duration trips. My (engi type A) ship was maxed out on reactors, and I also had cloaking. The boss is a lot more manageable with max cloaking. Boarding party took out the weapons and then I just whittled it down.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:30 am UTC

I have just found an even faster way to grind up someone's shield mastery, but it's kind of an exploit.
Spoiler:
While you are fighting an enemy, simply power down your shields and then power them up again. Every time your shield crewman raises the shields, his shield mastery goes up by one. This easy to do if your enemy has weapons so weak that you have shields to spare, or if you are hiding behind a Zoltan shield so you don't need your regular shields yet.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:42 am UTC

My last run I started running out of red shirts in the uniform locker. Due to union rules about accurate labeling I had to rename the teleporter to suicide booth.

Rules for safe teleporter use:
Spoiler:
If the enemy has a working cloak then be careful about health levels.
Turn off autofire, especially on the glaive beam.
Remember destroying a system does one point of hull damage.
Don't let them jump.

It'd be a cool addition if crew had a secret loyalty "skill" (revealed if you have a slug crewmen, although he doesn't reveal his own.) Then they could occasionally mutiny if it gets too low. It'd make recruiting crew more interesting and allow more crew turnover. And if you destroyed a ship while boarders are aboard maybe one would join you. I wonder if all that could be modded in.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Turn off autofire, especially on the glaive beam.

Not to mention the artillery beam on the Federation ship. That one is especially easy to forget to turn off.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:49 pm UTC

New User wrote:I have just found an even faster way to grind up someone's shield mastery, but it's kind of an exploit.
Spoiler:
While you are fighting an enemy, simply power down your shields and then power them up again. Every time your shield crewman raises the shields, his shield mastery goes up by one. This easy to do if your enemy has weapons so weak that you have shields to spare, or if you are hiding behind a Zoltan shield so you don't need your regular shields yet.

You can also find an enemy with no missiles that cant penetrate your shield (a half-power nebula is a good place for this), and just go afk. Come back and both shields and helm will me at full skill.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
New User wrote:I have just found an even faster way to grind up someone's shield mastery, but it's kind of an exploit.
Spoiler:

You can also find an enemy with no missiles that cant penetrate your shield (a half-power nebula is a good place for this), and just go afk. Come back and both shields and helm will me at full skill.

Won't the enemy just jump away out of boredom before that?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:50 pm UTC

I think most enemies that WILL flee (and not all will), will only do so when their hulls are pretty low.

Return to “Gaming”