FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

Anyone else play this game? It's currently on Steam for pretty cheap (8-10 bucks depending on the sale). I have lost so many hours in the last few days.

While I'm enjoying the ever loving shit out of it, it sort of strikes me as a sort of DF; the gameplay is a bit rough around the edges, but the narratives created are amazing.

For example, after a particularly rough couple of runs, my ship was limping along, low on fuel, low on missiles, hull ravaged, crew mostly dead, when I come across a nasty Rebel ship. I fired my last missile into their shield array, then diverted power to my dual Ion Blasters, and proceeded to alternate between their shields, weapons, and oxygen generator. It took a while, but they finally asphyxiated, leaving me with a ton of supplies and some snazzy new weapon.

The strategy is pretty good, all told, leaving you to make some tough decisions in a bind (shields and oxygen have both been damaged, do I take my weapons off his station for repairs at the risk of a longer engagement?). I dislike the amount of randomness, but after a handful of hours of playing, stuff is certainly recycled (never, ever, investigate the spiders).
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

Its a pretty fun game and there seems to be a lot to unlock in it. It is pretty harsh on the luck though, but I'd expect that for a roguelike game. Sometimes you can get pretty screwed if you don't get any decent weapons along the way though. I got hosed even on easy against the boss at the end. Just didn't have enough stuff to kill it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:(never, ever, investigate the spiders).

I think Rocks can investigate the spiders just fine. I think. But yeah - giant spiders? Just NOPE right out of there.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:30 pm UTC

Yeah, if you meet the conditions for 'doing it better', an option will show up in blue that is always better than the other more random outcomes.

For example, if there's a resource rich asteroid field, you can try and shoot some free, or ignore it. If you try and shoot it free a number of things can happen, from you taking hull damage, to getting attacked, to getting some extra stuff. If you've got the Drone Recovery Arm, you get a pretty big dump of resources (50+ scrap, some fuel, etc).

I'm trying to unlock other ships, but so far have only gotten the Engi ship (which is easy) and it's second form (which is surprisingly effective). I almost got the Rock ship; the last part of the quest line is playing a game of chicken in front of a solar flare, trying to outlast them. I had disabled their weapons and oxygen, thinking it would make them warp off faster, but what ended up happening was all my shit caught on fire, and all their shit caught on fire, and they died on the 5th or so flare, and then I couldn't warp off and also died. It's tons of fun
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:50 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I dislike the amount of randomness

This basically.

I also dislike how little control you have over the randomness. It's not like Dungeon Crawl wherein you can often plan ahead: FTL sometimes just goes "HAHAHA FUCK YOU!!!".

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:17 am UTC

I really dislike how much the starting ship- the Kestrel- seems to suck relative to the other ships. Especially since I really like the idea of the United Federation achievement.

So far I think I like the Zoltan one the best (starting off with the Halberd? Rockin!), though the Stealth ship is also pretty awesome. (I also have the Engi ship.)

I like the sense of persistent accumulation across runs- doing a quest in this run to unlock a ship forever- but I'm finding individual runs way more frustrating than I want them to be. I've only killed the first form of the boss once, and I was so unhappy when I discovered that it had multiple forms.

I didn't quite realize, but am now painfully aware of, the sense in which the game is a "roguelike." At first I thought that mean ASCII-ish graphics- and the game is definitely set up in a way where ASCII would tell you basically all the info you get now- but what it actually means is that if you have no skill, your win chance is 0%, and if you have some skill, the chance is instead very very low.

That gives the game quite a bit of tension- when every voyage ends in death, you start watching your fuel reserves more carefully, and pondering strategic decisions for longer. But it's also leading to mounting frustration and I don't know how much longer I want to put into the game.

(It's also frustrating when I misclick or make a bad decision and I can see the run going form worthwhile to worthless- like the time when I was fighting the legendary Mantis ship, had done a bunch of damage, and then shut off my beam weapons to avoid destroying it. At least, I meant to, but I only shut off one of two, and so the ship broke apart, with several of my crew on it to fight them. Well, shit.)

My main frustration, though, is how little you get in the way of choice in how your ship is outfitted over the course of the game. Weapon Preigniters seem really nice- except that you need to find them in an encounter or luck across a shop selling them. The various starting ships give you some control over that- if you really like long range scanners, then the stealth ship is probably the one you should start with- but I wish you had a scrap budget and could kit out your own ship.

(I did enjoy how the stealth ship taught me how to use cloaking- I was doing it totally wrong before that.)
Last edited by Vaniver on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:34 am UTC

I'm not planning on getting it, but it's also up on GOG.com for $9.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:07 am UTC

It's $9 wherever you buy it; I suggest getting it directly from the dev's website, because (I assume) that way they get all the money without Steam/GOG/Whoever taking a cut.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Elinari

Postby Elinari » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:21 am UTC

I've played 4 games of it so far with varying success:

Playthrough 1 - Easy mode - got to the second phase oh the last boss before he annihalated me.

Playthrough 2 - normal mode - got to the 5th area before being smashed. Terrible luck on that one. Just couldn't find enough firepower to take down anything at all. It was my first experiment with drones as well which didn't turn out so well.

Playthrough 3 - normal mode - managed to finish it with the engi ship, had a stellar run where everything just went right. Got some nice breaching missiles and great crew makeup.

Playthrough 4 - normal - tried the stealth ship, got annihilated before even reaching the end of the first zone. No shields + being attacked by drones + solar flares = GG. That was a fun game with my whole crew hiding in the hospital/O2 room with the entire ship on fire. Didn't take long for the drone to pick apart the hull :(

Overall, i think the game is good times. With a little more expansion of the Choose Your Own Adventure and/or control over luck based things would make it amazing. Would definately throw more money at expansions for it. I'm not sure whether i'll play much more for the time being though with Bordelands 2 and TL2 just arriving on my harddrive, but it's one that i've flagged to go back to which doesn't happen very often these days.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:45 am UTC

@Vaniver: what is the 'right' way to use cloaking?

I unlocked the Slug and Mantis ships, and have been destroying with the Mantis. High leveled combat Mantis will tear things to shreds ("To shreds you say?"). The ship doesn't seem to put out a lot of punishment, and I've had to run from a couple fights against auto-sentries with 3 shields.

Cannot. Put. This. Game. Down. I've come across the crystalline pod twice now, and keep raging that I'm not prepped for it.
EDIT: Finished boss off lastnight. Boarding parties are WAY op.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

This game is pretty awesome. In a lot of ways, it's like Star Trek (in the "Engineering's been hit! All power to the shields!" sort of way). I especially like the variety of possible playstyles - I've only got two ships so far, but playing with the Kestrel and the Engi ship are very different.

I ran into that special Mantis ship, but killed it because I didn't have a crew teleporter. It was only afterwards that I kicked myself when I realized I could've just ion cannoned the oxygen until it was mine >.>

Edit: is that how you get it? The wiki is confusing.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

I get the impression that boarding is the best way to go- you seem to get a lot more loot than if you break the ship apart, and against the boss (where the weapons rooms are all isolated) it should let you shut them down pretty easily. The trouble is that it depends heavily on luck (unless you're starting with the Mantis ship)- you need to both luck into the teleporter and luck into a crew that you'd actually want to send over to the enemy ship (go ahead Engis, you can do it!). It's really easy for things to go wrong and people to wind up dead, which will ruin a run by itself sometimes.

Izawwlgood wrote:@Vaniver: what is the 'right' way to use cloaking?
Time it so you deploy it just before their weapons recharge. (If you don't have the stealth weapons augment, it can also be worthwhile to take your weapon timing into account.) The Stealth Ship is interesting because it starts off with no shields but cloaking- which works out way better than I thought it would, but is painful until you know what to do.

Shivahn wrote:Edit: is that how you get it? The wiki is confusing.
My impression is that you need to kill everyone on board (without ruining the ship), then have a teleporter and a level 2 medbay- which I presume you use to teleport him onto your ship to heal him, and then he gives you his ship. (I haven't done it yet, so don't put too much weight on this explanation.)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:04 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:(where the weapons rooms are all isolated)

Right. Another viable alternative is the Hull Buster bombs or missiles, or if you have a good way of frying the shields, using the bio-beam. But yeah, two combat trained mantis will take apart those weapon rooms in 4-5s, and with a lvl 3 transporter, you can basically disable a room every 15s.

Vaniver wrote:The trouble is that it depends heavily on luck

Especially so considering the transporter AND crew are going to be later additions, meaning if you want to use two mantis as your away team, you're probably going to have to retrain a trained system crew member.

Vaniver wrote:Time it so you deploy it just before their weapons recharge.

So right after they fire, you cloak, causing them to miss AND stall on their recharge?
Vaniver wrote:My impression is that you need to kill everyone on board (without ruining the ship), then have a teleporter and a level 2 medbay- which I presume you use to teleport him onto your ship to heal him, and then he gives you his ship. (I haven't done it yet, so don't put too much weight on this explanation.)

This is true. Whenever you get into mantis territory, upgrade your transporter and med bays. Because that mantis ship is GOOD.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:39 am UTC

Ha, just beat the boss.
Spoiler:
Cloak>a hojillion lasers and missiles and drones.

Izawwlgood wrote:
Vaniver wrote:Time it so you deploy it just before their weapons recharge.

So right after they fire, you cloak, causing them to miss AND stall on their recharge?

Yes.

Cloaking increases your evasion by a significant amount, anyway (60, at level 1 I think, not sure if that goes up), and I'm pretty sure it stacks with the engines and piloting stuff, because I never got hit when I cloaked and had four or five power to the engine.

Then I saw "Achievement: Federation Victory (Easy)" and I was like "Fuck I thought I was on normal!"

Then I saw "Achievement: Federation Victory (Normal)". Since I was on normal after all. It always confuses me when games do that.

One thing I really like about this game is that I don't really have a favorite race, and there aren't really any useless ones. I can think of roles for all of them. And you definitely benefit from having a diverse crew.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:57 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So right after they fire, you cloak, causing them to miss AND stall on their recharge?
I believe that once they fire, the miss chance is already rolled. (I've had 40 evade, cloak gives you +60, they shoot something, I cloak, and then it hits me. I would check the wiki / do your own experiments, though.) [edit: this doesn't make context in the sense of the achievement for avoiding damage- maybe you do want to hit cloak right after they fire. Will have to investigate further.]

What you want is to hit cloak when they're at, say, 12s into a 13s cooldown. Then they have to sit there for 5 s not doing anything, and then they shoot at you when you reappear- and so their 13s cooldown is now an 17s cooldown (or would be if your cooldown was low enough).

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:23 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:So right after they fire, you cloak, causing them to miss AND stall on their recharge?
I believe that once they fire, the miss chance is already rolled. (I've had 40 evade, cloak gives you +60, they shoot something, I cloak, and then it hits me. I would check the wiki / do your own experiments, though.) [edit: this doesn't make context in the sense of the achievement for avoiding damage- maybe you do want to hit cloak right after they fire. Will have to investigate further.]

What you want is to hit cloak when they're at, say, 12s into a 13s cooldown. Then they have to sit there for 5 s not doing anything, and then they shoot at you when you reappear- and so their 13s cooldown is now an 17s cooldown (or would be if your cooldown was low enough).

I *think* that the hit is rolled right when (probably the frame of) the projectile appears in your part of the screen. So if you hit cloak right after they shoot, but before the game has set the path it will go through to hit you, it will help.

I know I've dodged on the order of nine projectiles, repeatedly, by cloaking right as they were fired. It is of course possible that I just got lucky, but I'd have to be pretty lucky.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:44 am UTC

Vaniver, your way just adds cd to it, so there's no reason to not just spam cloak whenever. Which may be the case anyway.

As for races, I agree, each has a place. I prefer engis for system manning, but will take anything, and beyond mantis for away team, mixing it up is good. A zolton or two, a slug, maybe a rockman on a system that's remotely located on the ship invade you get boarded. Although I don't like rockman very much, they're too slow, and having the HP boost isn't terribly handy compared to a mantis with full training.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Vaniver, your way just adds cd to it, so there's no reason to not just spam cloak whenever.
If you have a 5s cloak, and you hit is 6s into a 12s cooldown, it does nothing.

I do think that Shivahn's interpretation is probably right, since I cloaked once I saw it on my screen in the case that I'm thinking about.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:41 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Vaniver, your way just adds cd to it, so there's no reason to not just spam cloak whenever. Which may be the case anyway.

As for races, I agree, each has a place. I prefer engis for system manning, but will take anything, and beyond mantis for away team, mixing it up is good. A zolton or two, a slug, maybe a rockman on a system that's remotely located on the ship invade you get boarded. Although I don't like rockman very much, they're too slow, and having the HP boost isn't terribly handy compared to a mantis with full training.

Unless you set fire to their medbay.
a.k.a. Cazador

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Vaniver, your way just adds cd to it, so there's no reason to not just spam cloak whenever.
If you have a 5s cloak, and you hit is 6s into a 12s cooldown, it does nothing.

I do think that Shivahn's interpretation is probably right, since I cloaked once I saw it on my screen in the case that I'm thinking about.

It doesn't do nothing - enemies can't charge weapons while you're cloaked. Cloaks are pretty amazing.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

Yeah I'm basing this on what happens when the enemy cloaks, but my impression is cloaking effectively pauses their weapon systems, and makes anything just fired miss.

When sending raiding parties, I like to jump into shields or weapons, favoring smaller rooms, and bomb or missile the med bay when its got some injured enemies in it.

I'm hoping for that crystal cruiser, or the second mantis form. I read the second mantis ship has a 4 pad transporter.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

GRR. So, I was playing on an engi ship- ions plus mantis transports are fun. Unfortunately, I didn't think to check the enemy ship's hp before I used my beam weapon on them, and so I accidentally murdered two of my fully leveled mantis crew during the Last Stand. (And it was a podunk scout, not even the boss.) Rage.

(I think my problem is that I keep swapping between strategies- and so will apply habits that are totally inappropriate.)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

HOLY SHIT IT HAD A THIRD FORM

AUGH

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:52 pm UTC

So, just beat the game on easy. Did another run with the engi ship, where I quickly got a teleporter, 2 mantis crew, and 2 rock crew. Lost the two rock crew, again right before the end, this time because they were on an enemy ship right before it teleported away.

Still managed to take down the boss- with, apparently, just two anti-ship drones, two ion weapons, and a lot of patience. (Cloaking plus the mantis attackers taking out their weapons systems meant that I was slowly keeping ahead, but with only two attackers I couldn't damage the main ship beyond keeping crew occupied.)

[edit] And now I have 6 of the 9 ships- missing the mantis, slug, and crystal.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:06 pm UTC

Ha, I just got the crystal.

NOW EVERYONE WILL BE JEALOUS.

Though I still don't have very many ships, sadly. I have the starter one, the Engi one, the Federation Cruiser on my desktop and the crystal one on my laptop. I should probably have picked a computer and stuck with that, assuming you can transfer the data. Oh well, federation cruiser is not tricky to get.

I just gave up and returned to the hanger during the first stage of the last boss battle. It... was not going anywhere. All their weapons were down and I had nothing that could reach them. It WAS going fine until the game didn't let me teleport my guys out (I think I had to fiddle with them but didn't have time, so a crystal guy died). Before that it was awesome, because I basically managed to play it like a horror movie. The enemies would go to different rooms, a mantis and crystal man would teleport in, the crystal guy locks down the room and then they murder the guy in the room they're in. Then teleport out, before the other crew members have more than half a second with them.

It was brutal. I was woefully unprepared for that fight though, because I avoided fighting anything in the crystal sector in favor of just charging straight through to the ship. I probably could've won if it weren't for the crystal man dying.

Edit: At first I didn't like the crystal ship. Their weapons are weird and confusing and seem not fun.

Until you realize that they ignore shields. Shit. If I'd known that I wouldn't have tied the flagship last run.

Also, other stuff I just noticed, because I'm shitty at reading threads:

SecondTalon wrote:

I think Rocks can investigate the spiders just fine. I think. But yeah - giant spiders? Just NOPE right out of there.

You can use boarding drones for them, at least.

And I can see what people are talking about with the randomness. I just got a weapon pre-igniter in my first or second battle, in sector one. That's kind of ridiculous.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

My highscore is about 3800. Anyone else?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Mine is around 3500, but my housemate breached 4000 on easy.

Anyways, I finally got Stealth B, which means I just have the Rock B ship and the crystal ship left to unlock.

On a side note, I don't think I've ever beat the final boss the same way twice. Part 2 is the hardest, although if you kill the crew in part 1 (or leave one guy alive; it doesn't make much of a difference if the ship heals super slowly or not to me, because it is kind of hard to heal a ship on fire) and destroy the drones and missiles in round 2, it becomes a lot easier.
a.k.a. Cazador

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:06 am UTC

My high score is 4627. It's also the only time I beat the game. I'm not so great at keeping myself alive till the end.

Also, the second crystal ship is weird.

Spoiler:
It starts with cloaking and a four room teleporter, but only one level of shields and no weapons at all. It seems to almost be like playing another game - all of a sudden it's not about shooting the other ship, it's about using crystal guys to lock rooms down and destroy their components while micromanaging your cloak to keep from taking many hits.

It's also just shaped strangely. Very long corridors, which is a pain in the ass since crystal guys are slow. Of course, the design means you won't be on your ship much anyway.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Oh, SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler:
Not sure on the rocks. They do the fires fine (along with repair drones). I think you need a bio beam to "cut them up from a distance" or a boarding drone to "tear the place apart". Lets just say you have real skill and delicacy with the bio beam, the boarding drone however is indiscriminate. :( .

The game is a great laugh. If they ever do a remix/sequel and put in the DF like building/persistence, it could be the game to end all games. :P
PS, I find humans useless. They get dropped off at the nearest StarPort ASAP. :lol:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:PS, I find humans useless. They get dropped off at the nearest StarPort ASAP

It's situational; if I've got two or three mantis already, I won't take any more. I try to have 2 mantis (away team), 1 slug (for the telepathy in case sensors get knocked out), engis>rockman on every system, with rockman preferred for further away systems in longish ships, And one or so zolton on weapons or shields.

Humans are as described; they don't do anything special, and thus, are fine for anything.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

Ok just got this today it is addictive although I only have the starting ship and the engri one. It is fairly addictive though!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Technical Ben wrote:PS, I find humans useless. They get dropped off at the nearest StarPort ASAP

It's situational; if I've got two or three mantis already, I won't take any more. I try to have 2 mantis (away team), 1 slug (for the telepathy in case sensors get knocked out), engis>rockman on every system, with rockman preferred for further away systems in longish ships, And one or so zolton on weapons or shields.

Humans are as described; they don't do anything special, and thus, are fine for anything.

I put humans wherever they are needed. If I have too many boarders, I put them on my systems. If I have too many systems, I keep them for defense, boarding, or as an expendable repair crew. Basically, I keep experienced humans manning their stations even if I come upon a zoltan or an Engi, my station manners of choice.

As a habit, I like putting slugs on the helm. not because they are better at it, but because it feels like a very slug station to put them on.
a.k.a. Cazador

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:17 am UTC

Humans are great at that. The advantage to them being able to do anything is being able to throw them where you need them. Random breach? Engis could do it faster, but humans are fine. Combat with enemies? Rockmen won't get there in time, mantis would be better, but humans are fine. Fire in a random place, or some random station need manning? Humans are fine.

Specialization makes things efficient, but fragile. It's really helpful to be able to throw humans anywhere you want. Also, if I had to only have one race the entire game, it'd probably be humans. Or maybe crystal people since their ability kicks all the ass.

Also, slugs: are adorable. I would make that my avatar if it were bigger and I didn't love having Rainbow Dash grinning at all my posts so much.

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Postby Cobramaster » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:25 am UTC

I am partial to the Engi as my preferred crew, but humans are probably second. Although playing the second Engi layout with one crewman and system repair and anti-personnel drones is an interesting experience considering you can vent atmosphere everywhere but in the cockpit until you find some crew making you fire and boarding proof.

And on top of that I found a mod that disables the Rebel fleet allowing you to play it as a roguelike with a destination but no schedule and it really opens up the game.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:43 am UTC

Cobramaster wrote:And on top of that I found a mod that disables the Rebel fleet allowing you to play it as a roguelike with a destination but no schedule and it really opens up the game.

Link plz.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:53 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:Humans are great at that. The advantage to them being able to do anything is being able to throw them where you need them. Random breach? Engis could do it faster, but humans are fine. Combat with enemies? Rockmen won't get there in time, mantis would be better, but humans are fine. Fire in a random place, or some random station need manning? Humans are fine.

Specialization makes things efficient, but fragile. It's really helpful to be able to throw humans anywhere you want. Also, if I had to only have one race the entire game, it'd probably be humans. Or maybe crystal people since their ability kicks all the ass.

Also, slugs: are adorable. I would make that my avatar if it were bigger and I didn't love having Rainbow Dash grinning at all my posts so much.

I would actually prefer Slugs over Humans manning my entire ship, simply because they are essentially humans with a sensor bonus and are useful in some random events (although they are rarer than humans, making them balanced) or an entire crew of Zoltans (with auto-pilot, on a Zoltan Ship to protect from boarding), as that +8 (or 7, I suppose) power gives you a total of 33 power, enabling maxed shields, engines, weapons, drones, and oxygen. (or 7 engines if one Zoltan is piloting)

On a side note, when I first got the Zoltan ship, I was having fun not powering the oxygen and having my captain running back and forth between them for jumps.
a.k.a. Cazador

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:36 am UTC

Will wrote:
Cobramaster wrote:And on top of that I found a mod that disables the Rebel fleet allowing you to play it as a roguelike with a destination but no schedule and it really opens up the game.

Link plz.

http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Mods
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

Veito, won't having Autopilot but no captain effectively halve your evasion?

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

I've played a good few runs on normal, and I've only unlocked the Engi ship. I have no idea about bonuses and never seem to have enough scrap for anything. I just... am I playing this game wrong or something?
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

wam

Postby wam » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

3fj wrote:I've played a good few runs on normal, and I've only unlocked the Engi ship. I have no idea about bonuses and never seem to have enough scrap for anything. I just... am I playing this game wrong or something?

Thats where I am with it! Although I switched back to the federation one as I did better with it.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Return to “Gaming”