FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Adacore

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Postby Adacore » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Argh! I had such a good run going with the engi ship - was only in the 3rd sector and already had a rockman, two zoltans, two engis and two humans as crew (weapons, pilot, drives and boarding party crew all levelled up, weapons guy at max), teleporter, double shields, level 4 engines, pegasus missiles, weapon recharge mod and about 200 scrap in the bank, and I died because I was overconfident against a rock ship which had a single level 2 missile launcher and I tried to kill the crew by boarding (using ion to knock out the medbay) instead of just taking it out quickly, without realising that it had a level 2 medbay so my repeated boarding attempts were futile, and only noticed that my hull was getting low when it was too late.

It was feeling like a completion run, too, up to that point :(

New User

Postby New User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

I feel like overconfidence is the prime cause of grief in games with permadeath. For example, I have died many times in Realm of the Mad God by getting too powerful and throwing caution to the wind.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Yay! Completed it for the first time this evening, using the engi ship (on normal, I refuse to play easy). I was doing crazy-well, so the final battle was incredibly easy - I barely took any damage (and if I'd timed cloak a little better I would've taken none at all).

By the end I had maximum upgraded shields, weapons, drones, engines and teleporter, plus level 1 cloak. My weapons, pilot, shields and engines guys were all maximum level, and I had max level human and mantis boarding party members (and a backup slug/rock boarding party standing by). The 55% evasion chance with everything fully upgraded is amazing - add the bonus evasion from cloak for missiles (which makes you literally impossible to hit) and shields against beam weapons and you're almost indestructible.

Spoiler:
Dual Ion Blast II's and a Burst Laser II just totally disable absolutely any enemy ship, so long as they're used well. The ion output of dual Blast II's rips through the shields in seconds and disables all the weapons, then the burst laser destroys whichever room you think is most important. Most often I'd use it to target the medbay against manned ships, then teleport in to stop them repairing it, changing the laser target to the bridge. If you need a bit more DPS, just activate an anti-ship drone or two...

So long as you blow out the flagship's missile launcher first with a boarding party in every fight, and cloak for the superweapon, there's not much they can do (even without cloak, the superweapon wasn't doing any damage more often than not, between 55% evasion and shields, and there's long enough between shots to repair the engines/pilot/shields if they do get damaged by one volley before the next one hits).

Final note - level 2 scanners are glorious, if you have the cash to spare. You can see when an enemy crew member has low health and target weapons (or boarding parties) to assassinate him, and you can tell what systems are being repaired and estimate how far along they are.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Final note - level 2 scanners are glorious, if you have the cash to spare. You can see when an enemy crew member has low health and target weapons (or boarding parties) to assassinate him, and you can tell what systems are being repaired and estimate how far along they are.

Level 3 scanners are even better (when you have spare scrap to pay for them) - it shows you the detailed power, repair, and stun information for all enemy systems as well as the location and health of each enemy crewmember. They're a luxury, but a useful one.

Given the scrap, I'm happy to upgrade any system to maximum (and juggle power according to circumstances) but I'd put scanners and doors ahead of autopilot unless I was very short on crew...

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

I rarely upgrade doors and scanners, and have never done auto-pilot. Seems having a pilot is just about the most important thing so I essentially never move him.

I have 6 ships (missing mantis, slug, and special) and have beaten the game with each except the Rock Ship. Screw the Rock Ship. Seems like the best thing to do is to get away from relying on missiles as fast as possible, which isn't very easily done. Seems the enemy always gets first shots in no matter what because missiles charge slow, so taking some damage every fight is guaranteed. I can't figure out how to get the 'kill an enemy that's on fire' achievement either. Anytime I board and fight them in a room on fire, they leave when they're about to die.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

Probably the best way to get the 'kill an enemy on fire' thing is to wait till they're almost dead, while fighting a rock boarding party, then drop your firebomb on top of the room.

I unlocked the mantis cruiser the other day and was so excited to start with a teleporter, since that seems the easiest way to get lots and lots of scrap by end game. Queue up a long long string of crushing defeats. The mantis ship will take damage every fight, since it seems like every ship you face has bombs and/or missiles. I always seem to lose crew to stupid mistakes and random events. The best run I had was in the final sector, jumping towards the mothership, fully leveled mantis boarding party, and the roadbump rebel ship I was slicing up jumped away with both of them, leaving 3 guys to face the mothership, all engis... I've had more ships set a room on fire, wait till I opened the airlocks, blow up my door system, then the O2 system... In that exact order. Ugh... about to go back to the rock ship for unlocking the crystal ship, mantis is getting frustrating. Also, now it appears to be insanely hard to upgrade from your starting weapons, any other ship, I'm selling extra weapons by the last sector, with mantis, once I faced the mothership with a small bomb and basic laser... did not go well.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I'd put scanners and doors ahead of autopilot unless I was very short on crew...

Getting the first level of autopilot is cheap, and gives you some resistance against damage to the pilot's room (which drops your evade to 0% if it goes red). That's the only reason I ever use it - my pilot never leaves the chair.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Just got 5 mantis board my Nesasio in sector 3... They even had 2 engi's aboard theirs to defend. Maybe if I had max upgraded doors, autopilot, upgraded medibay and an extra crew member I could have held off. Even then they caused a breach with the first missile hit.
You'd have to be very lucky to win against that.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 am UTC

Finally gave up trying mantis type A on normal mode, tried a run on easy... and ended up beating the mothership... I had crew trying to join left and right, weapons dropping all over the place, scrap out the wazoo, and unlocked the type B. So much different from normal runs.

Type B is awesome, first run with it, normal difficulty. First sector or so is interesting, with no weapons, especially drone ships. I got lucky and only faced drones with connecting rooms so my boarding drone would eventually wear them down. Once I got crew coming in from events things went well, ended up with 3 mantis and one rock for boarding, and 3 engis and one zoltan for other crew. Almost everything upgraded, ended up with two ion weapons, the fast one and the slower one, and a double shot laser, plenty for even 5shield ships. The 4man teleporter is amazing.

Still need slug ship and crystal though :(

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

Finally got stealth ship! Also had my 2nd or 3rd victory on Easy, this time using Engi B. Definitely some tension in phase 2 as during each round of attacks I had to decide whether to use my cloak against missiles or drone surge. Does taking out drone control stop the surge?
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

No. The correct answer is to get a teleporter and take out the missiles immediately every wave.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:No. The correct answer is to get a teleporter and take out the missiles immediately every wave.

Yeah, but for most of the game I had nobody to board with (Engi B only has one crew member). Actually I've never really tried boarders. I usually don't save enough money for the teleporter when I see it, and it seems like my crews usually end up being mostly engi and human.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 am UTC

My strategy revolves around boarding with almost every ship - I try to always keep 135 scrap in the bank so I can buy a teleporter if I come across one, and grab any mantis crew I find (my ideal crew would be 2 mantis, 1 rockman and 5 zoltan). You can achieve similar effect with small bombs / fire bombs, but teleporter is so much more powerful if you have the crew.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 am UTC

My last game unlocked the Zoltan-B and trashed the boss (I think he dealt me 1 damage the entire 3 fights).

Crew against the boss were 2*Mantis and 2*Human for boarding parties, Engi pilot, 2*Zoltan Shields and Engines and a Human manning the guns.
Weapons: Ion blast, Ion blast II, Burst laser III (and an unused fire bomb)
Max reactor, shields, medbay, teleporter, cloak, weapons, sensors, enough in engines to hit 100% evade while cloaked, and spare capacity in Oxygen and Drone Control (repair and defense I, both mostly unused)

Used cloak to dodge the first missile volley while my Mantises chewed up the launcher, picked off his ion blast with my Human boarders, and let my ions autofire on his shields. Retrieved and healed my boarders, then fired a burst at the medbay and beamed my men over. The enemy cloaked at just the wrong moment, letting his last mobile crewman join the melee and finish off one of my Mantises just before retrieval. Another laser burst finished off the survivors while my boarding party healed and then took out his beam weapon (and associated crewman). Keeping his last crewman (manning the heavy lasers) alive, a couple more volleys from my burst laser forced the next stage. Mantis and human boarded to deal with the missile launcher while ions battered his shields and the burst laser fired a volley at his drone control. Once my boarders dealt with his drone control (and my other crew finished off his boarding drone) it was, again, plain sailing to take him out with a few more laser volleys, cloaking to deal with power surges. Third stage, his zoltan shield quickly down, the missile launcher soon followed, and then it was just a matter of firing lasers at random rooms to end it, cloaking the power surges when I could be bothered (none of them got through my shields).

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 am UTC

setzer777 wrote:
Xanthir wrote:No. The correct answer is to get a teleporter and take out the missiles immediately every wave.

Yeah, but for most of the game I had nobody to board with (Engi B only has one crew member). Actually I've never really tried boarders. I usually don't save enough money for the teleporter when I see it, and it seems like my crews usually end up being mostly engi and human.

Doesn't really matter. Two humans are more than enough to take out the single human manning the boss's missiles and then destroy the missiles. A human+engi would be enough as well. I *think* two engis would be able to do it without either dying, but I'm not certain.

Point is, even if you don't use boarding for *anything else*, it's valuable to grab a teleporter just for the final boss, because those missiles stick around for every wave, and you can trivially take it out for the entire battle in the first 20 seconds.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Yeah, my boarders are normally human, since mantis crew are fairly rare, whereas human crew are everywhere (ah, mantis escapee events in engi space, how I love thee). I consider humans about equal to rockmen for boarding purposes - their superior mobility is valuable in keeping them alive by running around inside the enemy ship if something goes wrong. If more enemies had upgraded doors then I'd definitely favour rockmen though.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:11 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Yeah, my boarders are normally human, since mantis crew are fairly rare, whereas human crew are everywhere (ah, mantis escapee events in engi space, how I love thee). I consider humans about equal to rockmen for boarding purposes - their superior mobility is valuable in keeping them alive by running around inside the enemy ship if something goes wrong. If more enemies had upgraded doors then I'd definitely favour rockmen though.

I'm torn between Mantis and Rockman for best boarder (I haven't recruited a Crystal to compare) - Mantises finish their battles faster, win or lose, but Rockmen are more likely to survive until you can pull them out for healing. If your priority is to stop taking damage from the other ship as soon as possible, then the Mantis has the edge; if your priority is not losing your boarders, Rocks win (particularly if you can start a fire).

Humans and Slugs are second tier - same combat stats, while the Slugs' special abilities make them more useful as boarders in nebulas, but also more valuable.

If you find yourself using Zoltan or Engi as boarders, something somewhere has gone horribly wrong - Zoltan reduced health and Engi reduced damage mean they lose one-on-one against the other 4 races, and the Zoltan special ability makes them incredibly valuable - I'd go as high as 6 Zoltan to 2 boarding-capable crew-members before I'd start rejecting additional Zoltan in favour of other races (my normal mix is 4 permanent crew and 4 designated boarders)

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:30 am UTC

A Crystal is better than a Human/Slug, but worse than a Rock/Mantis, in terms of who they'll win/lose to in a direct fight (unless fighting in a room without oxygen). That said, having one along for their special ability is invaluable, and can completely change your boarding tactics.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Did my first play-through with stealth ship - got teleporter and two mantises - definitely simplifies things!

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 am UTC

Fire Beam, Triple Ion and a pair of Rocks to board with. Takes out anything with an atmosphere, usually with heavy loot. In principle, it can take out drone-ships as well, but trying to co-ordinate teleporting out the Rocks during the brief window when a fire's still burning without air, and have the fire finish off the system to deal the last point of hull damage between the Rocks getting out safely, and the fire dying... I just toyed with them until I was ready to jump away.

The boss was no problem, but, after burning out the crew except for the laser gunner taking out the first stage, I realised I'd need to activate the AI to repair rooms in order to be able to accumulate enough damage. In the third stage, I set every square of the ship on fire, waited for them to burn out and for the repairs to come through, burned everything again, and was a couple of rooms short of burning everything for a third time when the boss's hull finally ran out.

Lesson: always have a way of damaging enemies directly (I didn't see any sort of attack drones in shops either - just repair, defense, defense 2, and anti-personnel...

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

About the only thing I consider Rocks better at than Manti is teleporting onto an automated ship while I have a crappy teleporter.

The Rockmen can teleport over, do damage, and teleport back before death.

There are other corner cases, like a boarding party stranded due to teleporter damage (the rock is more survivable), ability to fight in rooms on fire, better vacuum survivability. But in fights, Manti are simply stronger than Rockmen, on both "surviving multiple" and "winning".

In theory, if there where extremely tough alien races (say a race with the HP of a Rock and the damage output of a Mantis), a boarding party of 4 (2 rocks, 2 manti) where the rocks "tanked" and the manti did damage would be no worse than to 4 manti, and no ability to cycle crewmen. (4x damage 1x HP before death has a 4x total factor, and 3x damage 1.5 HP before death has a 4.5x total factor, slight edge). With crewmen cycling we get (2x-epsilon HP 4x damage vs 2.5x-epsilon HP 3x damage) and the manti win again.

The superior survivability against environmental damage is more than compenstated for by the faster movement speed of manti.

Now, after things go pear shaped, the Rocks are more likely to make it out: but Manti are so much better that what would make a Rock based boarding party go pear shaped was already won by the Manti based boarders long ago.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

In principle, with their 2x damage, and much faster movement, Mantises are superior, but in practice, I find I lose Mantises in combat where Rocks survive.

My ideal crew (ignoring Crystals since I've yet to get one - last game, I found the crystal escape pod... in the Rock Homeworlds... in Sector 7... :( ):
Pilot: Slug
Weapons, Shields, Engine: Zoltan*3
Boarders: Mantis*4

In practice, I'm willing to replace the boarders with anything but Engi or Zoltan (Rocks ahead of Humans/Slugs), and the fixed crew with anything that's left. If I'm lucky enough to get a surplus of Zoltan, I'll happily start stacking them in rooms that want power. Given the choice, if I have boarding slots open, I'll recruit Mantis over Rocks over Slugs over Humans over Zoltan over Engi; if I have crew slots, I'll recruit Zoltan over Slugs over Engi over Humans over Rocks over Mantis. Unless I already have at least 3 Zoltan, I'll recruit more Zoltan to replace existing crew; likewise, Mantises will replace any existing boarder under normal circumstances - one major exception being if I have fire weapons :twisted:

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Yep, because if you flee at 1/6th HP, that is a lot larger buffer on Rock than Mantis. And Rocks get there with relatively tame opposing forces, while if a Mantis is reduced to 1/6th before victory you have a really hairy situation and things are going pear shaped really fast.

Plus, in a mixed force of Mantis and Rocks, the Mantis drop dead before the Rocks are red. Plus the Manti reach battle first, while the Rocks stay safe "in transit", so Manti take more damage. Same thing happens with mixed Rocks and Humans/Slugs -- things go poorly, you notice, and the Rocks are still far from dead. Your teleporter cycles up, and your Rock survived, while your Manti/Human/Slug are dead.

Replace those Rocks with Manti, and things won't go poorly until you are in a harder fight. The Manti still die first, because they reached the fights first, before Humans/Slugs.

You can emulate the survivability of Rocks with a Manti by having that Manti hide in a corner not taking for 1/3 of the time they are boarding, and have her walk back and forth a bunch before entering combat (letting other folk tank the bad guys while you twiddle your thumbs). This Manti will be about as effective in combat as a tanking rock, and have about the same overall survivability!
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Why are you running your boarding party around? Mine get teleported in where I want them, and stay there beating up the enemy until/unless I need to run them around while I wait for the teleporter to finish charging - usually, the enemy is quite happy to come to me (if not, then I'm demolishing an important room...)
Defensively, most of the time, vacuum-herding to the medbay works just fine - and even Zoltan can pick off Mantises that have battered through enough high-level doors to reach them...

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

So... big update getting released today:

http://www.ftlgame.com/?page_id=106

New systems (cloning deck!), new races, new lots of stuff!
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:17 pm UTC

Haven't had a chance to play yet (stupid "having a job" thing), but I hopped in real quick to look and noticed that the Mantis Cruiser is unlocked for me now. Can someone tell me what the alternate unlock condition for that was (doesn't seem to show after unlocked).

Or maybe I'm just on drugs and don't remember completing the quest.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Haven't had a chance to play yet (stupid "having a job" thing), but I hopped in real quick to look and noticed that the Mantis Cruiser is unlocked for me now. Can someone tell me what the alternate unlock condition for that was (doesn't seem to show after unlocked).

I'm not aware of any alternate unlock for it - just kill the crew without destroying the ship while equipped with teleporter and L2+ medbay, then follow the blue options...

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

Didn't they just release this on the Ipad? I assume that's the base version not the new update?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:03 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Didn't they just release this on the Ipad? I assume that's the base version not the new update?

The iPad version should include the new content (I've not investigated myself, but the official site says it does)

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:36 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:The iPad version should include the new content (I've not investigated myself, but the official site says it does)

If that's the case it seals the deal on me picking up that version I guess.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

Made my first run with advanced content - I really like the additional variety in weapons and random events. Feels a lot more fleshed out. The UI improvements are also nice.

Learned the hard way that getting caught by the rebel fleet is even worst now - you go against an elite fighter while the cruisers in the background take potshots every few seconds (that I believe have a 100% chance of hull breach if they hit).

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
setzer777 wrote:Haven't had a chance to play yet (stupid "having a job" thing), but I hopped in real quick to look and noticed that the Mantis Cruiser is unlocked for me now. Can someone tell me what the alternate unlock condition for that was (doesn't seem to show after unlocked).

I'm not aware of any alternate unlock for it - just kill the crew without destroying the ship while equipped with teleporter and L2+ medbay, then follow the blue options...

Hmm, having actually played with the new version a bit more (Slug Cruiser A to the final boss where I died horribly due to lack of defensive options, but unlocked Slug B) it looks like the alt unlock is to do well enough with the previous ship in the list, whichever that is.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:50 am UTC

I still dont like that if you dont have cloaking, you basically cant beat the boss. No other system is 100% necessary

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:20 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:I still dont like that if you dont have cloaking, you basically cant beat the boss. No other system is 100% necessary

I've beaten the boss without cloaking - the main thing is to keep the missile launcher from killing you - I possibly could have won this time if I'd thought to lock it down with my ion bombs until I could kill it...

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:23 am UTC

Yeah, you mainly need some method of killing the guy in the missile room so he can't repair it.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

New User

Postby New User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:55 am UTC

I haven't played this game in a long time but if I remember right I never could get the hang of cloaking. I didn't use it. I had beaten the boss several times. I wouldn't say I had mastered this game by any means, I might not have unlocked even half the ships. But I know that cloaking definitely isn't necessary.

If you have the right weapons, you can kill the boss's crew members without even boarding the ship. See an earlier post I made about the awesome run I had when I was lucky enough to get three Burst Laser Mk II weapons for my ship. It's so much firepower for so little energy, I was almost unstoppable. Fire weapons or some type of bomb might also be useful. If I remember right, the weapon rooms in the boss ship aren't connected to the rest of the ship in any way, which means that if the crew member inside gets hurt or occupied extinguishing a fire, he can't be healed and no other crew members can go to relieve him of his duty there.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:58 pm UTC

New User wrote:If you have the right weapons, you can kill the boss's crew members without even boarding the ship. See an earlier post I made about the awesome run I had when I was lucky enough to get three Burst Laser Mk II weapons for my ship. It's so much firepower for so little energy, I was almost unstoppable. Fire weapons or some type of bomb might also be useful. If I remember right, the weapon rooms in the boss ship aren't connected to the rest of the ship in any way, which means that if the crew member inside gets hurt or occupied extinguishing a fire, he can't be healed and no other crew members can go to relieve him of his duty there.

Yeah, my default strategy for the boss involves boarding parties to take out the missile launcher, ion cannon and beam rooms, then a war of attrition to kill off the crew in the main part of the ship, and take out the shields, after which, I just plink away at it until it folds. Second round, much the same, except with no crew to fight through, and third round ditto once the super-shield is down.

There have been a couple of times where I defeated the crew and took down the shields only to realise that I'd forgotten to bring anything that did hull damage - at that point, your only option is to take out all the crew and let the AI begin repairing so you have enough systems to damage to deal the remaining points of hull damage - in extreme cases, that means sacrificing a crew-member to deal the last point...

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:18 am UTC

I like that the new stun effect makes heavy lasers a little less shitty.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:06 am UTC

Flak II is the new Burst II - 3 energy and volleys of *7*.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:06 am UTC

I haven't been able to beat the game with advanced stuff toggled on. Usually my win rate is about 1/3 of the time, nearly 100% with the Red-Tail and Mantis ships.

AE either is much harder or shakes up the playstyle so much, old strategies don't work anymore. Probably a bit of both, really.

Spoiler:
From not being able to level up shields stats in asteroid fields, to horrifying ion stars, to the rebel fleet being absolutely terrifying. New stuff is loads of fun. I'm fond of the anaerobic Lanius, both as breached room repair crew, fire suppressors, and as asphyxiating boarding crew. Flak guns are great, chain guns not so much, hacking and mind control are AMAZING. Clone bay makes me a bad person. I let regularly boarding crew die because the full health means more than keeping all their skills.

All in all, FTL has a lot more to offer and I foresee many, many more hours will be put into it.
...It made more sense in my head.

Return to “Gaming”