FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Postby setzer777 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:28 pm UTC

firesoul31 wrote:Flak II is the new Burst II - 3 energy and volleys of *7*.

Yeah, first game on the mobile version I ended up having Flak II, Glaive Beam, and Preigniter - very few enemies lived long enough to land a hit on me.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:06 pm UTC

I finally got to the flagship in AE.
Spoiler:
They added hacking and mind control.

...It made more sense in my head.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

fyrenwater wrote:I finally got to the flagship in AE.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The first time I got there, my mind control was hacked every single time it came off cooldown. It was rather problematic.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:04 pm UTC

Hacking Module + Firebombs + Lanius boarding party is a ridiculously powerful combination. You can rapidly drain an enemy's oxygen with little effort, and Lanius boarding parties are also effective on Drone ships, and the new Shield Bypass upgrade means you can still use your bomb+teleporting centric strategy against super-shielded ships without much problem.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:00 am UTC

I beat FTL:AE with the new ship!

The winning combo I found is
Spoiler:
mind control, hacking, bombs, and cloak. Thankfully, I was able to set fire to most of the flagship with small bombs, counter their mind control with my mind control, and hack away their cloak (1st stage), drones (2nd stage), and shield (3rd stage).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246685692

Now to try and unlock more ship layouts...

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 pm UTC

I've never liked cloaking, i could never get the hang of it

my favorite strategy is having having 2 ion cannons (or one ion cannon and a burst laser) and fire laser
fire laser is my favorite weapon in the game, i can take out any ship easily with it.
the Engi ship and federal ship are the only ones i can beat the game on normal with
I haven't beat the advanced addition yet, seems i'm going to have to play on easy to beat it...

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:28 pm UTC

firesoul31 wrote:
fyrenwater wrote:I finally got to the flagship in AE.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The first time I got there, my mind control was hacked every single time it came off cooldown. It was rather problematic.

The second time I got there (on the 2nd or 3rd battle), I foolishly used mind control on a boarder, who ended up attacking my mind-controlled crew member, to the point where I nearly lost him. But when they don't have it, it is like a free boarder (except you don't get the extra loot)
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 am UTC

setzer777 wrote:Yeah, you mainly need some method of killing the guy in the missile room so he can't repair it.

On Hard the missile room is connected to the rest of the ship.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
setzer777 wrote:Yeah, you mainly need some method of killing the guy in the missile room so he can't repair it.

On Hard the missile room is connected to the rest of the ship.

You could still hack it

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:27 pm UTC

I haven't tried hard yet. Is it the same type of difficulty jump as easy to normal: stronger enemies earlier and less scrap?

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:32 pm UTC

The furthest I've gone is trying normal again. You start off with 0 scrap in hard.

(Has anyone been able to unlock the federation cruiser on the ipad version? I've beaten the flagship twice, but it's not unlocked)

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:The furthest I've gone is trying normal again. You start off with 0 scrap in hard.

(Has anyone been able to unlock the federation cruiser on the ipad version? I've beaten the flagship twice, but it's not unlocked)

I have.

Spoiler:
In the rebel stronghold sector you can find their main shipyard where they have a partially built second flagship. Defeating it unlocks the cruiser.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:On Hard the missile room is connected to the rest of the ship.

http://i.imgur.com/zvgT2.gif

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 am UTC

no-genius wrote:The furthest I've gone is trying normal again. You start off with 0 scrap in hard.

I beat the flagship with the Engy ship and it unlocked for me. Beating the flagship with the previously unlocked ship seems to unlock the next ship in the chain.

Yoshisummons

Postby Yoshisummons » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

To unlock the A model you need to do a quest in the game under specific conditions, to unlock the B version you need to get 2/3 of the achievements with the type A version and for type C you need to get to the final stage with the type B. Really love the tier 2 chainlaser and the new atypical ways to do boarding parties other than just straight up mantis's. I hate cloning bays just because the ocd in me hates jumping when a crewmember is at 25hp.
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

You can also unlock the A model of a ship by beating the game with any model of the previous ship in the list. Thus, beating the game with the Engi ship gets you the Federation ship, which gets you the Zoltan ship...

I just beat the new mode for the first time last night (on Easy, and after at least half a dozen tries, but still).
Spoiler:
I had the Federation cruiser with a Chain Vulcan laser (increased firing speed by 2s every time it fires, from 11 down to 1 second lag between shots) and a Flak 2 (7 shots at a time). Once the vulcan got going (35 seconds to warm up), it consistently kept the shields offline so my Flak and Federation superlaser just destroyed the flagship. It unlocked the Federation C model - instead of a superlaser, it has a 7-shot flak cannon, which is randomly aimed on the same timer as the laser was before.
I didn't end up needing any of the other new systems, though I've played with them in past runs and they all seem to work well, both on their own and paired together. I'm glad they managed to balance the new stuff with the old, it gives you more flexibility with playstyle - before, you usually had to use most of the available systems to be successful. Now with more options it may not matter that you never get cloaking or drones or boarding along the way, because there's usually another way to do what you want.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

Yoshisummons wrote:I hate cloning bays just because the ocd in me hates jumping when a crewmember is at 25hp.

It heals when you jump, and you could always switch in a healing bomb. For me, it's more that I wouldn't get in a clone bay unless I had the backup DNA bank augmentation.

Spoiler:
is the rebel stronghold sector the last stand?

I was thinking that the good thing about the new unlock method is it encourages you to play all the different ships.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
Spoiler:
is the rebel stronghold sector the last stand?

Spoiler:
nope. It's a separate sector type, which appears as a red dot on the sector map.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:40 pm UTC

Yoshisummons wrote:I hate cloning bays just because the ocd in me hates jumping when a crewmember is at 25hp.

This.
Healing bombs are more useful now i guess

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

I just had the closest win. My ship actually exploded with my last shot in the air, but the game counted it as a win, because that last shot killed the flagship

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 am UTC

Yoshisummons wrote:jumping when a crewmember is at 25hp.

There's a rare item I've found only once in my playthroughs:
Spoiler:
It heals party members when you teleport them. You can't abuse it and just teleport your crew around your own ship, though.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:03 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:I just had the closest win. My ship actually exploded with my last shot in the air, but the game counted it as a win, because that last shot killed the flagship

And delivering the warning to the loyalists, then killing the rebel flagship is your mission, iirc. Survival is not a prerequisite for success, so it's not even a bug. :D

Does the clone bay clone members of your crew if they die on another ship as part of a boarding party? I've been too scared to test that thus far, since I've only got both clone bay and teleporter together fairly far into a run, and I didn't want to jeopardize it by killing one of my boarders (and then I died anyway).

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 am UTC

Yes, they can be cloned even if they're on another ship. The exception is if you have boarders on the ship when it blows up or FTL's away - those guys are gone.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:39 am UTC

Gwydion wrote:Yes, they can be cloned even if they're on another ship. The exception is if you have boarders on the ship when it blows up or FTL's away - those guys are gone.

No cloning if the ship is destroyed is a strange exception, from a logical standpoint. Why would the cloning bay care how the crew member died? I guess you can invent some kind of pseudo-logic that the ship blowing up doesn't allow enough time for transmission of genetic data or something, but it still seems silly. The FTL jump thing is easier to explain - maybe there are strong restrictions against having multiple copies of the same people at the same time.

I guess it's probably done for game balance, though.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:I just had the closest win. My ship actually exploded with my last shot in the air, but the game counted it as a win, because that last shot killed the flagship

That's pretty cool! I remember once a long time ago, actually I think this might have been the first time I won the game. I don't remember if it was on Easy or Normal but I was down to my last crew member, which was a crystal person. My ship was damaged and oxygen had almost run out, but crystals take less damage from suffocation. I just moved my final crew member into the least damaged part of my ship, which if I recall was either an empty room or the medical bay. I remember spending the last few exciting moments just waiting for my inevitable destruction, but the enemy ship blew up first. I don't remember if my ship actually blew up like yours did but I am pretty sure that my destruction was inevitable, perhaps by fire (I couldn't vent all the ship's oxygen from every room to extinguish all fires because my door system was damaged). I don't even remember how I destroyed the enemy ship. Maybe it was also by fire, or maybe I had some drones or weapons still operational.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

I've won like that way too many times o.x

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:14 pm UTC

Is it my imagination, or do far more enemy vessels have drones now? It seems like the vast majority of ships past section 3 or 4 have a drone system.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:21 pm UTC

At the moment I'm just playing easy to unlock all ship versions after failing to win the game on normal+advanced quite a few times. The federation cruiser artillery beam is a nice weapon, I needed the "don't upgrade weapon systems until sector 5" achievement and in the end never bothered to get strong enough weapons to get through 4 shields. I just used the missile which shoots two at one, max artillery beam, max shields, max stealth, a teleporter. (I also had the thing that I could teleport through zoltan shields.) easiest boss fight I ever had in ftl even taking into consideration that it was on easy.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:17 am UTC

The Advanced Edition totally revived my interest in FTL, and it's awesome.

I particularly like that I finally discovered a boarding-based strategy for defeating the final boss.

Spoiler:
As usual, kill the soldiers controlling the weapons during the first form, but leave the guy controlling the laser alone. When that's done, teleport as many boarders as possible into the main body of the ship. (Preferably, use the 4-person mantis teleporter.) Blow up the First Aid Station, obviously. Kill everyone you can, however you need to - I had to port back to my ship for healing before I could off everyone.

Then you can just take down whatever system are bothering you - cloaking, hacking, shields, and bridge. Blow up the ship with whatever weapons you have now that it's not a threat.

Further stages are then simple. Quickly break the unmanned weapons and then the shields, then blow up the ship. In the third stage you'll have to knock down the super shields first, unless you have the Zoltan Shield Bypass, but that's quick.

For some reason, I never thought about leaving one of the weapon-people alive before. Fun!
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:46 am UTC

Args I was making a run with the mantis ship to get the other layouts and everything was going well. Then I fought an automated ship, no trouble I teleported in took out the mind control, teleported out. Redistributed some power including teleporter power for a while and then teleported back in without remembering to raise the power again. Damn airless ship.
On the plus side I got the rock ship in that run.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:21 pm UTC

Two more fun bits from the advanced edition:
Spoiler:
You can teleport mind-controlled enemies back to your ship. And then kill them at your leisure (as long as the enemy ship doesn't have a clone bay to revive them). On the other hand, be careful if you have enemy boarders and one of yours mind controlled in the same room, as they might all get teleported back together.
Spoiler:
With the clone bay, it turns out giant alien spiders are a joke after all.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

I'm not sure if it was from advance edition or not, but the blue encounter from when an engi ship says you have a virus was... interesting. (It looks bad at the start, but don't raegquaat.)

Also, it occurred to me that engi are probably in combat if you have nano bot medi dispersal - without the reduction, they'd be overpowered.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:58 pm UTC

Gwydion wrote:
Spoiler:
With the clone bay, it turns out giant alien spiders are a joke after all.

Spoiler:
There are a few more quests it makes trivial, like one where you check out a derelict station and then it starts breaking up. Normally you can save your crew, or lose a crewmember but gain another mystery member or a drone schematic. With the cloning bay you get your lost crewmember back, so have getting a bonus!

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:14 pm UTC

Still, clone bay's pretty much worthless without the backup DNA bank. I just unlocked Kestral C, but the oxygen got knocked out so all my crew died except the Lanius.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

Ive had no issues with the clonebay and no backup bank.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:57 am UTC

Yeah, why would it be useless? You dedicate one power to it if you don't want to think about it, or just pay attention and power it when someone's in danger of dying.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:44 am UTC

Pirates are apparently all buddies. This interesting turn of events happened:

1. I had a pirate boarder teleport onto my ship.
2. I ran from the fight and jumped away from that node with the pirate still on board.
3. The new node had a new pirate ship.
4. The new pirates started the fight by teleporting the stranded pirate boarder and they immediately ran to the med bay.

Something tells me this is a coding oversight, but the idea of some weird sort of pirate honor code amuses me.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:47 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:Pirates are apparently all buddies. This interesting turn of events happened:

2. I ran from the fight and jumped away from that node with the pirate still on board.
4. The new pirates started the fight by teleporting the stranded pirate boarder and they immediately ran to the med bay.

Something tells me this is a coding oversight, but the idea of some weird sort of pirate honor code amuses me.

Interesting. I wonder what happens if you kidnap a boarder away to some other ship - would a Mantis ship beam a lost Slug aboard, or vice versa?

My guess is that crewmembers are just flagged as friendly or hostile, so all hostile crew are "allied" this way, but I've no evidence to back that up...

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:02 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
fyrenwater wrote:Pirates are apparently all buddies. This interesting turn of events happened:

Interesting. I wonder what happens if you kidnap a boarder away to some other ship - would a Mantis ship beam a lost Slug aboard, or vice versa?

My guess is that crewmembers are just flagged as friendly or hostile, so all hostile crew are "allied" this way, but I've no evidence to back that up...

Well you can mind control and then teleport their people which fits if you can't teleport your own mind controlled units that would also fit a simple friend foe split.

Also the hacking module absolutely wrecked me in a boss fight. I had an ion blast, another ion weapons which does 4 damage after a few shots and used a beam weapon which does 3 damage per room. Also i had the faster weapon cooldown thing equipped and a weapon preigniter so my ion weapon was at 4 ion damage quickly. I had no teleporter and only defensive drones (which was an error) so my offense wasn't very diversified but it would have worked if he didn't hack my weapon room. If hacking only interrupted my weapon charge it still would have worked but it drained their charge bars empty again, combined with his cloak my 4 energy 3 damage beam with his super long charge just couldn't get shoots of when his shields were low enough. I just didn't think of the possibility of him hacking my weapons.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:01 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:My guess is that crewmembers are just flagged as friendly or hostile, so all hostile crew are "allied" this way, but I've no evidence to back that up...

This is it. As noted, your *own* teleporter will teleport MC'd hostiles, and *won't* teleport MC'd friendlies. As well, as soon as a friendly gets MC'd, you get the same "enemies on board" message that you do when real enemies port over.

The only thing the game cares about is whether a given unit is a friend or a foe at that moment.

Return to “Gaming”