Page 9 of 10

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:13 am UTC
by Weeks
I just hate how missiles are only one shot each (barring swarm/pegasus), and since the Rock Cruiser achievement requires only missiles, I go all the way hoping to find ONE ship with defense drones, but end up with NONE and only missile weapons for the final boss. On every other playthrough I sell all my missile weapons.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:16 pm UTC
by rmsgrey
Spambot5546 wrote:Fun fact: those are also the things you need to beat every other ship*.


*Exception being shieldless autodrones.


Apart from autodrones (and now Lanius ships) you can beat pretty much any ship other than the boss with just defences, a teleporter and a Zoltan Shield Bypass - okay, you may also need something to disable or lockdown the medbay/cloning bay - but you'll want a conventional offensive weapon for the boss even if your shield-penetration strategy consists of "teleport in, kill off the crew faster than the medbay can heal them, and take out the shields manually"

Oh, and the defences to (mostly) block the boss's attacks are harder than any other ship you'll encounter, and I'm not sure you ever come across level four shields elsewhere either...

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:27 pm UTC
by Spambot5546
They're in sectors seven and eight even on easy, but they're not common. I imagine they happen more on Normal and Hard.

Strictly speaking, you can beat the flagship with only boarders thanks to the fact that destroying a system causes one hull damage and the AI will continually repair said systems. Not really advisable, though, unless you have a cloning bay, since you'll have to sacrifice a boarder every time you do it.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:50 pm UTC
by rmsgrey
Spambot5546 wrote:They're in sectors seven and eight even on easy, but they're not common. I imagine they happen more on Normal and Hard.

Strictly speaking, you can beat the flagship with only boarders thanks to the fact that destroying a system causes one hull damage and the AI will continually repair said systems. Not really advisable, though, unless you have a cloning bay, since you'll have to sacrifice a boarder every time you do it.


Even with a Cloning Bay, you'll lose anyone aboard the ship when it jumps away...

And yeah, I have taken out the flagship with fire bombs and Rock boarders before - not fun...

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:00 pm UTC
by Weeks
Weeks wrote:I just hate how missiles are only one shot each (barring swarm/pegasus), and since the Rock Cruiser achievement requires only missiles, I go all the way hoping to find ONE ship with defense drones, but end up with NONE and only missile weapons for the final boss. On every other playthrough I sell all my missile weapons.
Playing on Normal mode with Advanced Edition disabled solved this nicely, I got an enemy with a defense drone in the very first sector. Hah.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:51 pm UTC
by Gwydion
Weeks wrote:
Weeks wrote:I just hate how missiles are only one shot each (barring swarm/pegasus), and since the Rock Cruiser achievement requires only missiles, I go all the way hoping to find ONE ship with defense drones, but end up with NONE and only missile weapons for the final boss. On every other playthrough I sell all my missile weapons.
Playing on Normal mode with Advanced Edition disabled solved this nicely, I got an enemy with a defense drone in the very first sector. Hah.

Yeah, there are a lot more defense drones on normal/hard. If you want the achievement, you could just buy other weapons and stash them until you find an appropriate ship to fight. Or just do a run that you don't expect to win...

And for help with the other rock achievement:
Spoiler:
The game counts mind controlled units as your own. Light a fire, mind control the stronger of two guys putting it out. Teleporter unnecessary.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 am UTC
by Xanthir
rmsgrey wrote:And yeah, I have taken out the flagship with fire bombs and Rock boarders before - not fun...

Really? I actually had a very fun time with a run where I had *two* Fire Bombs and some rock boarders, plus some shitty laser. I just boarded and burned everything (always starting far enough from O2 that it wouldn't burn down), then used laser to take out the last few hull points after the shields burned down.

As for the Rock "kill someone while they're on fire" cheevo:
Spoiler:
I got it easily with a Hacking module and a fire bomb. Bombed a room, once a crewmember arrived I hacked it (to lock the doors), then teleported in my boarders. I actually did it with two mantises who came *very* close to dying from the fire as well. ^_^

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:04 am UTC
by Weeks
Getting Rock B was worth it, another Flagship victory!

Now to get Engi C...Engi B is such a tough cruiser to play through, having only one crew and no real way to take down ships quickl--JUMP IMMINENT

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:43 pm UTC
by rmsgrey
Xanthir wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:And yeah, I have taken out the flagship with fire bombs and Rock boarders before - not fun...

Really? I actually had a very fun time with a run where I had *two* Fire Bombs and some rock boarders, plus some shitty laser. I just boarded and burned everything (always starting far enough from O2 that it wouldn't burn down), then used laser to take out the last few hull points after the shields burned down.


Now imagine doing it without the laser... The only way to win was to burn out all the crew so the AI would kick in and start repairs, then take out systems as they came back online...

Actually, I might have had a Fire Beam then too...

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:58 am UTC
by Weeks
Anyone tried Captain's Edition? I just downloaded it, but am going to try and unlock everything before installing it.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:58 am UTC
by Yubtzock
Weeks wrote:Anyone tried Captain's Edition? I just downloaded it, but am going to try and unlock everything before installing it.

Yep. It's really nice. The infinite mod really works with it. Gives you more of a RPG feel to it. Has quite a few pitfails though.

The need to sell tradeables by yourself - they just could have nerfed how much you can sell it for and make it give you lower income at each shop and they could leave it as it is (you get some money each time you visit a shop with trade goods on board).


I finally enjoyed playing engi B, but there is one mechanic that threw me off - "the captain" is actually you, not someone from the crew on your ship, so you can lose the one engi due to "bad behaviour" (game gives you choices and if you play a bad guy your crewmembers may get pissed off and leave).

I actually had a situation where I had a dialogue where I clicked sth along the lines "take a prisoner as a slave", my engi got pissed and left and the game said "game over, cause you've got no people on board, oh snap", even though I was about to receive the prisoner after the dialogue. :/

I also don't know what the purpose of swarm missiles is beside being able to fool some anti missile drones. I guess this is connected to the fact that it's not clear anymore what the drones do, I have really hard time following what effects they have and which one is which.


I love the crewkilling weapons though - the sniper-like gun is so good at killing most stuff I get to kill all enemy crew without boarding. So cool.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:08 pm UTC
by Weeks
I did manage to reach sector 8 with Engi B, mostly by getting rid of the starting weapons. Actually got to phase 2 of the Flagship. Then I played Rock C and destroyed everything.

I'm looking forward to playing infinite space and playing a super pimped out Stealth ship.

I was looking at the mods around the FTL forums and it seems like they can't add ships, only replace existing ones? Kinda hope not, because I'd like to somehow expand the available ships to like 50 (I might even make them myself, FTL doesn't look that hard to mod).

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:53 pm UTC
by Zohar
Just started playing this this weekend, played for about seven hours, I'm hooked. I have yet to beat the game (and I'm playing at easy level!), but I do have about four or five ships since I happened to stumble upon a few quests. I'm having a decent run right now and I hope I can beat the final boss - I've gotten to it several times before (and even managed to chase it away once) but didn't do good enough.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:26 pm UTC
by Weeks
I haven't played this since I lost my laptop a year ago. Let me tell you about the Stealth Ship.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:58 pm UTC
by rmsgrey
Zohar wrote:Just started playing this this weekend, played for about seven hours, I'm hooked. I have yet to beat the game (and I'm playing at easy level!), but I do have about four or five ships since I happened to stumble upon a few quests. I'm having a decent run right now and I hope I can beat the final boss - I've gotten to it several times before (and even managed to chase it away once) but didn't do good enough.


Yeah, for pretty much the second half of the game, you should be planning for how you'll beat the boss - some way to deal with its missiles and some way to actually damage it - there was one time I ended up facing it with ion weapons, a teleporter, and a fire beam, so my only way of beating it was to wipe out the crew so the auto-repair kicked in, and keep damaging the rooms as they came back online... and then repeat after it ran away until it ran out of lives...

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:34 pm UTC
by Zohar
So I beat it twice yesterday. Once with the Kestrel ship (don't remember exact configuration), and once with the Engi ship, where I absolutely slaughtered with a couple of ion weapons, fire beam, combat drone, and defense drone. I also had a hull repair drone for good measure but practically didn't need it. I also opened up a bunch of ships, including the stealth and Zoltan ships. I might start playing on normal soon, maybe.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:20 am UTC
by Xanthir
Normal mode is for masochists. Hard mode is for ULTRA masochists.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:22 am UTC
by CorruptUser
Currently on sale for $2.50, so I got it. It's fun, but damn is that last ship tough...

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:10 pm UTC
by Zohar
I have poured about 260 hours into FTL, according to Steam. They're apparently working on a new game, a turn-based aliens vs. mechs Pacific Rim-like thing. I'm excited.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:51 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
And I finally beat it, on easy, with that Zoltan cruiser. By the end I used a chain ion cannon, that halberd thing, and a pulse laser. With defense and attack drones. Also a cloak and mind control device. Mind control is only useful to keep the enemy distracted and not repairing shield damage, barely used cloak. Was hoping to pick up a flak mk 2 to eliminate shields or that glaive that lets you at least do damage when you get shields down to 2. I don't like missiles, and am hesitant about drones if I don't have that augment that lets you recover undamaged ones.

What I would love is a version that disables the rebel creep, so you can do the entire sector, but that changes the game from a strategic one to just casual.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:15 pm UTC
by rmsgrey
CorruptUser wrote:And I finally beat it, on easy, with that Zoltan cruiser. By the end I used a chain ion cannon, that halberd thing, and a pulse laser. With defense and attack drones. Also a cloak and mind control device. Mind control is only useful to keep the enemy distracted and not repairing shield damage, barely used cloak. Was hoping to pick up a flak mk 2 to eliminate shields or that glaive that lets you at least do damage when you get shields down to 2. I don't like missiles, and am hesitant about drones if I don't have that augment that lets you recover undamaged ones.

What I would love is a version that disables the rebel creep, so you can do the entire sector, but that changes the game from a strategic one to just casual.


There is (or used to be a few years back) a mod around that lets you (effectively) play without the Rebel Fleet (until the final sector). What it actually does is give you a hundred or so extra turns in each sector before the rebels appear, but the effect is pretty much the same as removing them entirely.

Chain ion's pretty handy - deals with the enemy shields so you can focus your damage on their hull (or, aside from the final boss and the occasional drone ship, on their crew, which gets you more loot).

In fact, my top tip for beating the game is to get something that can take out enemy crew fairly reliably and then focus on crew kills (fire, suffocation, hand-to-hand combat, bio-beams, etc)...

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:17 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
Wait... you get more loot for killing crew but leaving the ship undestroyed? I umm... didn't realize this.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:58 am UTC
by CorruptUser
Mods? Who needs mods when you can just write the code in yourself with Notepad ++?

So I decided that rebel pursuit should be delayed by 10 more turns...

...and the game doesn't want to run now. Ok, I don't know how to save the data file with the game still recognizing it.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:07 pm UTC
by Zohar
I'm not a huge fan of mind control, unless I go for a melee combat strategy (which is, BTW, super effective on Easy and Normal for dealing with the final boss). And I feel like chain ions just take too long to fire. I'm OK with a chain blaster, those are decent.

I think once you start winning a bit, it gets much easier to win. I've tried Hard a bit but didn't like it, Normal is a fine for my more casual tastes, and that also often feels unfair.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:01 pm UTC
by KnightExemplar
Zohar wrote:I think once you start winning a bit, it gets much easier to win. I've tried Hard a bit but didn't like it, Normal is a fine for my more casual tastes, and that also often feels unfair.


I've tried Hard-mode... and it seems very much luck-based.

I mean, classic Rogue-likes (aka: Nethack) have some degree of luck. If a bones-file was generated with like... Demogorgon on level 2 you're gonna die each time. But that is so incredibly rare (and also requires basically an end-game character to die on level 2... probably on the climb up) that you don't have to worry about it.

Ultimately, Nethack fixes the "luck-based" problem by always granting a "Wand of Wishing" before your first steps into Hell (so you are guaranteed to have the three best equipment items from the guaranteed three wishes before entering the hardest part of the game... be it the Scroll of Genocide, Silver Dragon Armor, Levitation Boost, Cloak of Displacement, Helm of Telepathy, Helm of Warning, or what have you. Lots options for various playthroughs as well).

FTL on the other hand keeps you on a clock. You have a limited time to explore a sector, and as such... what you find and what you don't find is incredibly luck-based and random. As a result, a lot of Hard-mode playthroughs just feels like beating your face against the RNG. Come up with good enough crew-mates and blasters (ie: Cloaking Device vs Final Boss), and then Hard-mode becomes not only possible... but incredibly easy. Start the game "slow" with crappy equipment and you basically can't win.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:41 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
There was another rogue-like game, Ragnorak or something, that let you rewrite scrolls with certain skills. You basically rewrote every scroll you found into a scroll of genocide, and the game pretty much ended there.

But anyway, what do I need to do to save the Data file so that the game still recognizes the XML inside?

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:56 pm UTC
by Zohar
Have no idea, but FTL has a pretty lively reddit presence, maybe you could ask there.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:22 pm UTC
by KnightExemplar
CorruptUser wrote:There was another rogue-like game, Ragnorak or something, that let you rewrite scrolls with certain skills. You basically rewrote every scroll you found into a scroll of genocide, and the game pretty much ended there.


That was called "Nethack", with the "Magic Marker" item. :-) Medusa has plenty of water surrounding her, so you can blank all of your scrolls and rewrite them easily.

Rewriting scrolls into scrolls of genocide is totally a legit strategy. Too bad the final boss is Humanoid (@) so if you genocide all humans, you kill yourself too.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:16 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
As was Ragnorak, though if you used it too much, druids spawned and whooped your butt. So you genocided them too...

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:58 pm UTC
by sardia
CorruptUser wrote:There was another rogue-like game, Ragnorak or something, that let you rewrite scrolls with certain skills. You basically rewrote every scroll you found into a scroll of genocide, and the game pretty much ended there.

But anyway, what do I need to do to save the Data file so that the game still recognizes the XML inside?

You could give up your pride, and download the mini mod that adds 100 turns till the rebel fleet arrives.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:42 pm UTC
by Xanthir
KnightExemplar wrote:FTL on the other hand keeps you on a clock. You have a limited time to explore a sector, and as such... what you find and what you don't find is incredibly luck-based and random. As a result, a lot of Hard-mode playthroughs just feels like beating your face against the RNG. Come up with good enough crew-mates and blasters (ie: Cloaking Device vs Final Boss), and then Hard-mode becomes not only possible... but incredibly easy. Start the game "slow" with crappy equipment and you basically can't win.

While I agree that FTL has a significant luck component, I find that's also part of its charm? Winning against the final boss with a weird loadout is its own reward. Not always possible, sure, but it's not like a run eats a ton of time.

I mean, I also like curbstomping the asshole. But challenge is good, too.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:06 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
I do like the secrets in the game. Found a second flagship under construction. Crushed that MOFO. Unlocked the ship with the artillery gun thing that shoots through shields. Yeah, I'm in love with that ship, only one of two ships I killed the flagship with.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:33 am UTC
by Xanthir
I think it's definitely the easiest ship to kill the boss with, yeah. It just turns the battle into a waiting game; as long as you can survive long enough, you're guaranteed to win.

(I enjoy the Type C for that ship, too - it's got an alternate Artillery Gun.)

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:07 pm UTC
by Zohar
Thought I should mention the FTL dev team's next game, Into The Breach, a sci-fi Pacific Rim-like monster-vs.-robot tactical battle game is out February 27th on Windows (Mac and Linux will follow with no release date as of yet).

I am very excited.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:11 pm UTC
by SuicideJunkie
I was just playing some more of this last weekend, and I've been reminded of how much I love fire beams.
It was a questionable purchase at the store, costing all my money plus a drone sale, used up all 3 of my weapon power bars available, but also came with a small breach chance. Then I tried it, and wow, it is a double-length beam!
Actually works quite well with my 3 damage ion blaster, since a gold star gunner can switch power between the guns and *just* get the beam loaded as the shield stun wears off, for 6-8 tiles of burnination.

Later, some pirate punk disrupted lifesupport, so I threw all power into the fire beam and used a drone to pop his shield long enough to rake it blindly.
Shortly after, the pirate stopped shooting, and I gave them a second rake when I saw they'd repaired something. I had an engie peek into the sensor room just before piling everyone into the medbay as my own O2 hit 15%. Fire everywhere over there, low O2 due to the fire, and one poor human with a smidgen of health.
Cue Evil Laughter.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:48 pm UTC
by rmsgrey
Yeah, any way to kill people without blowing up their ship is great - you get much more of a payout from a (mostly) intact ship than from a cloud of debris. The only catch is that you eventually need something to deal with the final boss...

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:19 am UTC
by EdgarJPublius
I'm always a fan of Fire Bombs + Shield Bypass if you can get it.

For the final boss, even if the crew is dead, it will start self-repairing like a drone ship, so as long as you can stay alive, then all you need to do is keep everything on fire and eventually repeatedly blowing up all the systems will kill it. I've defeated the flagship with only fire and boarders on more than one play-through.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:13 pm UTC
by rmsgrey
EdgarJPublius wrote:I'm always a fan of Fire Bombs + Shield Bypass if you can get it.

For the final boss, even if the crew is dead, it will start self-repairing like a drone ship, so as long as you can stay alive, then all you need to do is keep everything on fire and eventually repeatedly blowing up all the systems will kill it. I've defeated the flagship with only fire and boarders on more than one play-through.


Yeah, anything that does subsystem damage can finish the boss, but there are crew-kill options that don't - heavy Ion builds, for example - and, while you can take the boss with boarders, you will lose whoever you have aboard at the end of each phase of the fight. Fire, specifically, is okay (if slow), but there are loadouts where you can sail through the rest of the game racking up scrap by capturing enemy ships intact, but then be impotent against the boss.

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am UTC
by no-genius
EdgarJPublius wrote:For the final boss, even if the crew is dead, it will start self-repairing like a drone ship, so as long as you can stay alive, then all you need to do is keep everything on fire and eventually repeatedly blowing up all the systems will kill it. I've defeated the flagship with only fire and boarders on more than one play-through.


You actually don't want to kill the crew though, because it's much harder to defeat it.

Anyway, what's wrong with hacking shields? Even works in the drone phase, you just have to keep trying. (I usually use lasers to try and distract the defence drones)

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:36 pm UTC
by Zohar
Defense drones predict where the hacking drone will be to make sure the shot connects. If you depower the hack drone immediately after defense drone shoots, there's a high chance the shot will miss. Then you power up the hack drone again and it will connect successfully.

As for killing all crew on the flagship, I've found that even with all crew dead, it's often easier to just keep two boarders to destroy the weapons as they regnerate while harming other systems. Ideally it would be best to keep one or two people alive, but on hard level, where the missile and blaster rooms are connected to the main ship, it becomes hard to disable those weapons.