No shit, there we were... (Gaming Stories)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

WalkerRiley

Re: No shit, there we were...

Postby WalkerRiley » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:No, in this case it certainly wouldn't have, and in the end it's about having fun. Just recognize that the Pact Boon is a true benefit, and if you can get it for free by cursing bugs and squishing them, you're giving a significant sort of powerup. It's of a different nature than, say, attacking the ground to get the +2 AC bonus effect from the attack. I'm just warning you to make sure the player doesn't expect that to work in the future.

I agree on this. To offset the powerup, I would tack on a significant penalty to the roll just to keep the player from doing it every five seconds.
Le1bn1z wrote:No more Florida babies. Except for the purposes of scientific research or food.

Kaneda

Postby Kaneda » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:18 am UTC

you could let him put the pact boon on an insect which then flys or crawls away before he can kill it. anytime you feel like it later you can announce that the insect just got eaten by a frog and fling him into a wall/off a cliff etc.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:03 am UTC

This happened in a custom world DnD game quite some time ago.

I was playing a chaotic neutral half-dragon fight that didn't need sleep for reasons I forgot long ago. Anyway one night while the rest of the party is resting at the inn my character gets bored and starts digging a very large hole in the middle of main street. Come morning the hole is around 10 feet deep. Naturally it starts to downpour and the hole is filling fairly fast. The party's chaotic evil gnome wizard decides it would be funny to throw a child in the hole with my character and then tosses in a shark from his bag of many things to liven things up. I fight off the shark and save the kid. Now bored again and noticing that the dwarven barbarian still seems to be sleeping off a very heavy drinking session I decide to go shave his beard while he sleeps. For whatever reason the conscious members of the team head to the church to conront a priest we've had some unpleasant history with. Long story short my character gets fed up and crushes the priest with a great sword. He's promptly arrested. The dwarf finally wakes up and promptly lets out a prolonged howl of mourning for his lost beard. He finds out what happened from the rest of the party and charges into the prison as I am trying to fight my way out. He then proceeds to shatter every bone in my character's body with the flat side of his full blade in one attack with "non-lethal" damage.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

Binks

Postby Binks » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:43 am UTC

"Spy sappin' mah dispenser!"

Hey, that's no good. I'll just turn my back to smack this with my wre-WOAH!

Poopstick69 recieved 25 points for Backstabbing Cornbinks.

Stupid spies.

Spuddly

Postby Spuddly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 am UTC

I was playing in a high powered, evil 3x game in a sort of Spelljammer setting. We were space pirates, with a renegade Mind Flayer as captain. My friend was running a telepath, whose thrall (like a cohort, but they don't have any choice in being your bitch) was a barbarian/fighter/warforged juggernaught/bear warrior. He was a robot with an anger problem- when he started raging, he'd turn into a bear.The DM ruled he could keep all his sweet warforged juggernaught spikes & adamantine when he turned into the bear, transformers style. His warcry was "rollout!" followed by the transforming noise. That bear-robot would punch holes through everything. Very bad ass, and very damage resistant. He was played like that robot from KotoR and would call us "fleshbags", etc.

Vaniver wrote:whacky hijinks

Explosive runes & gate abuse. Heh. I had a level 10 cleric use a candle of invocation to gate in a pit fiend once. The DM pretty much nixed that, and I ended up losing both candle and pit fiend. Oh well. I didn't realize obnoxious gate could be.
What was the rest of that party running? Fighters?

GhostWolfe wrote:
Vaniver wrote:
It only happens when your players manage to get themselves into sticky situations that you, as a DM, then have to rescue them from
Or the host of save-or-die spells and abilities.

Save or die on a single player basis I don't care about (and I'm pretty sure they removed all of those from DnD in 3.5 anyway - the worst they can do to you is -1 and dying these days).

Actually, there are plenty of save or dies in 3.5. They took them out with the release of 4.0. The really nasty ones are the no saves; just die spells in 3.5. There's one called avascular mass where your insides come to life, burst of you alien style, removing half your HP, then anchor themselves to the walls to entangle you and you fellow party members with your own, writhing guts. Maw of Chaos summons a chewing mouth that does d4 damage (unsure how many of them) every round, no save. Then you get stuff like Holy Word/Blasphemy and caster level boosting items, which pretty much will slaughter any humanoid opponent within the a typical party's CR range. A level 13 enemy cleric vs a level 10 party (typical boss CR) with the Evil Domain and anything else that gives +1 to CL (orange Ioun stone, prayer beads, out of core) is going to wipe the party, unless someone can cast a silenced dimension door or you're playing with psionics. If you have a typical party of skill guy, fighter type, caster, and buffer, 3/4 are pretty much goners.

Sir_Elderberry wrote:So, D&D 3.5, sixth level party, I'm a cleric. We're fighting a castle full of goblins that we are (unintentionally) fighting all at once. Fine. So we're going into Full Badass Mode, doing very well. We're taking damage from manticore tail spikes and a sorcerer that we lined up for a lightning bolt from, but otherwise doing very well indeed. After a long, hard fight, the manticore flies overhead--and I immediately cast command and order it to drop to the ground, at which point everyone runs in and beats it to death.

The awesome part of this story is that I did it to a red dragon the very next session with similar results.

As you can see, the save-or-die, in 3.5 is alive and well. Though that's more of a save-or-those-guys-over-there-are-going-to-kill-you.
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:31 am UTC

D&D tabletop. We were facing quite the force, and my character was a construct. He was pretty much the groups tank; he was made of adamantine, etc. Now he was really slow and due to many unlucky dice rolls during the entire campaign, very inaccurate. However, fighting these people and the main boss of the campaign was interesting, the others were scratching at the main boss, I was distracting everything else. Then with seven criticals in a row (18, 19 and 20 dice rolls), I sliced, diced and obliterated the lowly soldiers, then not only killed the boss with one hit, but instead of slicing him in half, I completely crushed him with the flat of my blade. Stupid mage.

Also, we were once fighting a half-lich. It was only a torso with arms and a head dragging itself along, but we were trapped with it, and pretty much fucked as it took, with ease, everything we could throw at it (I had a dwarf cleric in this campaign). We were all relatively low level, so didn't know enough cool spells. At one point we managed to snap off its jaw, only for it to promptly grab the dismembered body part and ram it down its throat; eating it. (Needless to say one we were all relatively freaked out by this as our DM was very good with her descriptions. However, a dark elf NPC with us, after much praying from the lot of us and everyone being close to death (except her), uses a spell that leaves her with a small amount of health; ripping shreds off herself, but these shreds turned into blades that made the half-lich a pile of squishy mush.

Also, we were wandering around in a cave and someone did a spot check. On the ceiling was a very pissed off, not to mention hungry vampire in stasis because of a stake in its chest. We wandered around this room and a swarm of enemies (I think they were redcaps) were detected by our mage as being on their way to us. Being inventive little buggers, we took the vampire down from the ceiling and tied a rope around the stake stuck in it. When the enemies started to pour into the room, we threw the vampire at them and pulled out the stake. A vampire grenade, now that was cool. We ran as it chewed through the opposing forces (it was way too powerful for us).
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Level 6, playing a Good-to-the-gills evil-slaying Paladin + paladin cohort, with a wizard and druid in tow. We were investigating what seemed like the beginnings of a goblin uprising near some farming communities, and ran straight into a large warband. 100+ goblins, half that many hobbos, a dozen mounted on wargs, a few bugbears, and to top it off, two trolls in the back. Via some diplomacy I had conned my church out of some warriors (several level 1 paladins and warriors, plus two level 1 clerics).

We were in a narrow valley, so I formed up the lesser warriors into a shield wall, with my cohort in the center. Druid and Wizard were on blasting duty. The two lesser clerics were both given wands of CLW. The battle commenced.

Amazingly, we survived with only one fatality. The shieldwall of men ended up *amazingly* lucky, whacking down goblins left and right. My cohort almost immediately waded straight into the fray, knocking down wargs and hobbos who were doing too well with her longsword wielded two-handed and glowing Shield spell floating next to her. The clerics ran back and forth behind the shield wall, healing everyone up. Druid was putting arrows in eyes like they were broad and barn-shaped. And the wizard... He racked up a good 2/3rds of the kills himself, with several well-placed fireballs in densely-packed areas.

What was I doing through this whole battle? Putting on my damned armor. While my cohort charged in with only her traveling leathers, I decided I need my full breastplate before I could fight. By the time I had put it on, the battle was nearly over. I ran up, and a few sword swings and wizard-provided Scorching Rays later, the troll pair was vanquished and the last of the gobbos lay dead at our feet.

I took all the credit.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

yohanleafheart

Re:

Postby yohanleafheart » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Badmouthed the Computer in Paranoia, and somehow didn't die.

I know this is a bit of a necromancy, but I need to ask HOW!?!?!?!?

One moment I cheered a lot was again on Paranoia. We were midway through the investigation, when the group got separated. On one of the cars we had 3 guys, on the front sit two Communists (of course, no one knew that they were) and on the back sit, an unlucky clone (Julio). the dialog was more or less like this:

DM: You enter in the car. Julio you see something strange on the floor of the car.
Julio: I bow down to get it.
DM: To your surprise it is a mustache.
Julio: Look a mustache.
2 commies: (shouting) A communist!!!!! *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew*

(cue 30 minutes of intense laughing of all the players)

Computer: Thank you citizens, in your perseverance to protect Alpha Complex.
"When you gotta do something wrong, you gotta do it right." - Fighter - 8-bit Theatre
"Life is a bitch. But it is my bitch." - Slick - Sinfest

Cleverdan22

Postby Cleverdan22 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

I was playing Left 4 Dead with my cousin on 2-player co-op, and were just about to activate the elevator that made a bunch of zombies attack (We could have handled that easy) at the end of the level. Then he goes, "Wait! I hear a Witch crying!" I told him just to leave it alone, but he decided to go and disturb it. He walks off while I wait by the elevator. I hear "OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT" and see his character running backwards towards me, shooting haphazardly at an enraged Witch. I decide to let him get himself out of the situation and watch it unfold. The witch turns on ME and kills me. Gaaaah.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:38 pm UTC

As to how I got away with it, I managed to blame it on Rodan.

Oh Rodan, how many times did we get you killed for our own amusement?

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

I was running a game of D20 Modern and a guy in the group decided he was going to break into the zoo and steal a tiger cub. Short version: A teammate mauled to -8 by a tiger. Entire group holds a hilarious grudge against dumbass tiger their for several adventures. That same character names everything he owns after a different felony. His car is called Rape, his minigun is named Child Endangerment, and his tiger has a name-in-pending, probably Treason.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

Hentzau

Postby Hentzau » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

D&D.

So one of our party gets kidnapped to an ancient city that supposedly vanished. We have no idea where it is, and scrying, investigating etc all fails. So I, being a caster type, decide to contact a god and ask. The only god I could think of at the time was Venca.

DM: Are you sure?
Me: Yes.
DM: Really?
Me. Er, yes?
DM: He tells you it is located in XXX.
Me : Uh, we teleport there.

I was the fop. The party agreed.

So it's me (a lich) our fighter, and our wizard. The cleric decided his character wouldn't trust an evil god.

<we explore>

DM: you hear a dripping sound. Ooze is pouring out of a faucet.

The room fills with ooze. We leave.

The street fills with ooze. We run.

The block fills with ooze. We try and teleport. No dice.

DM: the city is enclosed by a glass sphere. The ooze is rising.

Me, wondering if the ooze is harmful: I use telekinesis to throw [our fighter] into the ooze.

He fails his save. Splat.

DM: it's a magic eating ooze. All your magical items are gone. If you had spells you'd be dead now.

Our wizard decides to shatter the glass.

DM: Ok, it shatters. You are sucked into the vacuum. You cannot breathe.

Me: I teleport.

DM: no way, vacuum. It has a somatic component.

*I check my inventory*

Me : How does this 'rod of fire extingushing' work? Is it a CO2 or water or what?

DM: Eh, CO2.

Me: I use it on my face and say the spell into the gas.

DM: You teleport out.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Standard D&D, running the Temple of Elemental Evil remake thing, which I don't own so I have no idea if this is even part of it. We were chasing some individual, I forget what, into a cave and the individual had a substantial head start on us. We round a corner and see a black, featureless void. Someone shoves a stick into it and the black form lashes out. The party rogue, who is an all-around funny guy, said something to the effect of "I can't believe I get to say it.... I attack the darkness."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:17 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Standard D&D, running the Temple of Elemental Evil remake thing, which I don't own so I have no idea if this is even part of it. We were chasing some individual, I forget what, into a cave and the individual had a substantial head start on us. We round a corner and see a black, featureless void. Someone shoves a stick into it and the black form lashes out. The party rogue, who is an all-around funny guy, said something to the effect of "I can't believe I get to say it.... I attack the darkness."

Did he cast magic missile?
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:Gaming stories. You know you have them. The sillier the better.

My personal favorite, from a Shadowrun game:

We needed to gain access to the house of the head of security for the building we were breaking into. So we called for a pizza to be delivered to a remote location, jumped the driver and knocked him out. Then we tied him up and stole his pizza car, uniform shirt & hat.

Dressed the elf up as a delivery guy, and had him knock on the door while the troll & dwarf hid in the bushes. Got access to the house, interrogated the guy and got the info we needed.

Then we drove back to where we'd left the unconscious pizza guy, and while the Troll ate all the pizzas we untied the guy, put him back in his car, dug the bong out from under the seat and left that on the passenger seat and split. So when he was found it looked like he'd gotten stoned, eaten the pizzas he was supposed to deliver and passed out.

The perfect crime.

I didn't get that you were talking about role playing, so did a double take wondering how the AI/physics side of that would work. Damn it. I really wanted to play that game.
I can kill you with my brain.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:29 am UTC

It was a one shot Cyberpunk 2020 game that a friend was running and we were all playing bodyguards/mercs we all hear a sniper shot and after we hustle the primary out of the area one of the players decides to figure out where the sniper shot came from and rolls a natural 20:

Dingbat 1: Look a sniper!

BOOM

Referee to Dingbat 1: Roll up a new character.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:21 pm UTC

i_ll_winn wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:The party rogue, who is an all-around funny guy, said something to the effect of "I can't believe I get to say it.... I attack the darkness."
Did he cast magic missile?
If he'd had a wand or scroll of it, he likely would have. I don't recall which attack he used, I was too busy laughing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

Whenever my housemates would play and I knew they were playing I would scream "WHERE'S THE CHEETO'S???" in my best imitation, and make them laugh and forget where they were for about 10 minutes. Great times.

I was really bad when I happened to play.

DM: You come to a clearing, and you see a stump.
ME: Uh.. I quickly shoot it with my bow.
DM: ... You hit the stump, and lose an arrow.
*laughter*

SuperTD

D&D-Amusing conversations

Postby SuperTD » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:27 am UTC

Has anyone got any funny conversations that you've had with the PCs around the table that you'd like to share? The sort of thing I'm thinking of are stories like Eric and the Gazebo.
nightlina wrote:Damn.. if there was a cannon ball thrown for every time someone was wrong on the internet.. well... I don't think we'd have enough cannon balls!

headprogrammingczar

Re: No shit, there we were... (Gaming Stories)

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

I have one. We were playing a lvl 7-8 campaign with a friend who hadn't played D&D since AD&D. We walked him through making a dwarven paladin, and someone said he should get a portable ram. Everyone cracks up, then he says "what the hell" and forks over the 100gp for it. The rest of the party is an atheist sorcerer, a cleric, an orc rogue, a halfing rogue, and an elf wizard (every party needs one of those). Overall a pretty big group.
Spoiler:
Also, an important detail that is necessary to fully comprehend the magnitude of this story is that I wrote up both encounters before the PCs played either of them, complete with layouts and precise numbers and load-outs of enemies.
Spoiler:
The first encounter is inside a barracks of an occupied town, and the PCs clear the town of all the invading orcs for GP/XP/Quest. Everyone runs inside the barracks through the main door and immediately gets shot at through arrow slits. The dwarven paladin starts blocking the slits and stabbing through them with his greatsword, which can actually reach through them. While he does this, the halfling rogue decides to be clever and sneak around the back and steal things. He goes through the back door and gets shot at through another arrow slit. He immediately goes prone and crawls away. He crawls by an open door, turns, and sees an orc staring down on him. While this is happening, the sorcerer is dumping scorching rays everywhere, the cleric is clericing, and the orc rogue is using improved feint and improved crit with a rapier. The wizard decides to be clever and casts summon 3. The monster appears inside a 10x10 room with all the other PCs. It takes them two turns to get everyone out of the room, during which the halfling is still trying to stand up. The rest of the encounter goes by uneventfully, but the next session is even more hilarious.
Spoiler:
The next session, we have the same group of people. Another small party of orcs pulls a wagon into the town with some strange black powdery substance, which they called black powder. The orcs are surprised, draw their swords, and get fireballed before they can move. The black powder explodes too. The party follows the road and finds a small fort built into the side of the mountain. They wait until nightfall, and then they climb the wall (the dwarf also had a grappling hook), kill the guards silently, and inside there are two buildings. One is completely stone, and the other is mostly wood, with what looks like a previously broken stone wall for one side of it. The party goes into the wood building, kill the night guards in there (also silently), and take a look at their loot. The cleric says "Pelor could sure make good use of loot like this", to which the atheist sorcerer responds, "your god sucks". They start throwing spells and yelling at each other, which is obviously very loud. Before they know it, they have to fight 30 orcs of low level, one orc captain one level higher than them (with a generous amount of potions and other disposables), and their resident sorcerer. The sorcerer casts fireball, aiming for the roof of the building. It immediately catches fire and the players are surrounded on three sides. The unprotected side is, of course, the stone side. They find another pile of black powder in one of the rooms, so they burn it, weakening but not demolishing the wall. The dwarf pulls out his portable ram and busts down the wall the rest of the way (with all of us finding it hilarious that he actually got to use it). They run out, fireball some of the orcs, and the orc rogue feints, then crits the orc captain, nearly killing him. He breaks open a bottle of smoke and runs away, but the orc rogue throws his rapier, critting again and killing the captain. The enemy sorcerer throws another fireball, then drinks a potion of gaseous form to escape. He floats up and over the fire, using the updraft to ascend at 60ft/round. The round before he gets out of range, the cleric casts dispel magic, canceling the potion and making the sorcerer fall to his death.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Spuddly wrote:Explosive runes & gate abuse. Heh. I had a level 10 cleric use a candle of invocation to gate in a pit fiend once. The DM pretty much nixed that, and I ended up losing both candle and pit fiend. Oh well. I didn't realize obnoxious gate could be.
What was the rest of that party running? Fighters?
Blasphemy has no save- it works just off hit dice.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:19 am UTC

COD4; seeing 4 snipers on a tall building, all with their guns (mainly dragunov's and barret .50 cals), I however have an MP5 with a red dot sight. They are very far away, to the point where I can barely see them. I still manage to kill them all without dying (one kill was through a small wall one of them hid behind due to damage).
And I proceeded to take out the snipers as they arrived on the roof till someone with a UAV jammer got me with a knife.
Take that you damned snipers.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

dizturbd

Postby dizturbd » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Me and a few friends were playing World of darkness, but an out of canon game, just to let a new playerget to know the rules etc. Two of us managed to finish off the enemy who just ambushed us, with me getting the final shot where a bullet went through his forehead, through his brain, richochet off the back of his skull, and come out through his nose. The new gy hadn't had a single round of combat, so went to attack me. After him missing, but incapacitating the other friend, I turn around, and shoot his chest, which rips through his ribs and comes out of his head.

I've not managed to get any other kills as awesome as those since.

Voco

Postby Voco » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Planetside:

I was leading a small squad of about 7 people. For the most part we were kicking as taking names, so to speak, against the masses of the enemy, but as we were attacking a base our scout reported another organized group of about 10 people guarding the control console we needed to capture. Despite being invisible, he was killed immediately. This was trouble. I had my squad crouch, hidden, in the strategically useless "map room" while we pondered what to do. But our enemies were obviously fans of teamwork, so I had an Idea. I looked at the "so and so killed [my scout]" message to get the name of the enemy soldier who killed him. I sent him a private message reading:

"Hey, can I join your squad?"

As expected, the guy who killed my scout was not the enemy squad leader, and thus unable to invite people to the squad, and, as was customary in that game, he simply referred me to the player who was. So I sent that guy a private message:

"Look out, MAX unit headed your way!"

Then I had the dead scout respawn as a "MAX unit" and rush the control console. Again, he was killed immediately, and I received a message from the enemy squad leader:

"Thx dude :)"

So then I sent him another message:

"Look out again! Huge enemy squad headed for the generator!"

Again, I had my poor scout respawn, and sent him to go shoot the generator a couple of times so that the "Your generator is under attack!" message would play for the enemy. As soon as it did, the enemy leader replied again:

"We'll take care of it, thanks!"

Then most of the enemy squad rushed off past us toward the basement, leaving only 2 people guarding the Control console. We walked in and killed them, then placed a number of explosive mines just inside the door, and ran back to our safe spot. The rest of the enemy squad came rushing back, and as soon as they were all inside...

*BOOM*

In deference to his selfless service, I had the scout press the detonator. Then, with the advantage of cover, we were able to hold the control console and capture the base. Best of all, after we'd taken the control console, I received another message from he enemy squad leader:

"Hey, my squad is reforming to take back the CC. You want to join us?"

It wasn't until I ended up personally killing him a half hour later that he realized my constant attempts to 'meet up' with him and offers to 'scout' for him were actually attempts to gather info on his plans and location. He really should have done a /who on me (which would revealed my team) before revealing sensitive info via private message.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon May 11, 2009 6:23 am UTC

My friend and I were just playing some Discovery Freelancer, using a freighter and a valkyrie, taking out a bunch of Corsair Titans we probably shouldn't have been taken on for $2.25M. There was much alternating back and forth to the battleship to get repairs and refills.

Then I got fed up with how long this was taking, and began to liberally apply torpedos to their faces, and I was aptly rewarded with a Tizona del Cid, an undamaged one at that! The moral of this story? Liberally apply torpedos for a brighter smile!

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Thu May 14, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

Probably my favourtie quote of all time from an RPG that ended a year or so ago, was running for three years pretty constantly before that so the characters had developed a lot:
Kzetcher: "Look, it's clearly a trap"
Me: "Yeah so? Traps have bait, bait is going to be something we want, thats the point of traps."
This was about a year in, it was a steampunk style RPG which a while before I my soul had been moved into a 100% pure soulcore and my that sould core put into an arachnid-centaure Mecha, generic steampowered conscious machine. The "yeah so" attidude resulted in me critically headbutting the combat mecha guarding the trap, smashing it's soulcore and killing it instantly, unfortunately I also managed to crack my own letting in a massive storm of black essence (read:basic evil magic force) a lot of worried willpower checks gave our groups chaneller (read:wizard) enough time to transfer my sould to a spare 100% core. We ended up carrying around around a core containing pure evil force, which happened to make a very effective grenade of sould destroying power when we panicked and threw it at a group of enemies.

Two years later when our charachters had become pretty powerful, my metal body had been replaced by an nigh on indestrcutable black metal called hellsilver, made using dubious methods involving the souls of inoccent children. This left me vulnerable as hell to attacks on my soul, but virtually impervious to regular attacks. Hellsilver has a counterpart called Skysilver equally tough but "good", that exploded when in contact with materials infused with blackessence, which included Hellsilver along with the infused objects. (by comparison, it was a pretty dark world). Anyway, a storyline running parallel to ours that the GM ran with a different group, (we all knew each other well but prefered small roleplaying groups of three or four) has resulted in their characters giving into the black essence we had resisted for the past three years. The end of the three year campaign consisted of me running through a posh manor house wearing oven gloves chucking skysilver candlesticks (oven gloves protected my hellsilver hands from the candlesticks) at a pursuing minotaur shaman (the leader of the other group) who had given himself over completely to the black essence and so got hurt by skysilver, while he slowly tore chunks from my soul. A bit of a strange ending for a dark RPG which had spanned three years. Outside the other players were in a pitched battle between the all that remained of the military forces of the country we were in having withdrawn to the capital on my groups side, and an evergrowing hoard of undead, human machine hybrids of unholy design, and the play group of the minotaur player.
The best RPG I have ever played in and probably ever will again.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

d0nk3y_k0n9

Postby d0nk3y_k0n9 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

I was watching a game once (D&D 3.5) in which the most players and the DM conspired to kill off a particular player who was annoying and not very useful. In one encounter, the party's fighter intentionally rolled a 1 on his attack. The DM said, "You attack so-and-so instead by mistake, roll an attack roll against him." The fighter proceeded to roll a natural 20 and 1-shot the guy, putting him at -8 or so. I believe the DM described it as "You miss your intended target, and accidentally hit so-and-so in the back of the face." The guy ended up dying about 10 seconds later when a monkey ran over him.

peevo

Postby peevo » Fri May 15, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

DnD 4e, I'm DMing. The players (Sorcerer, Warlock, Swordmage, and Paladin) were traveling to a city, and of course had a random encounter, which happened to be like 4 or 6 imps. With the ability to turn invisible at-will. So, at one point there are 2 imps near the Sorcerer. Imps turn, they shift out, and go invisible. Sorcerer's turn. What does he do? Pulls out a ladder. And then tries to put it up to a wagon, so that he can climb on the wagon. So he can get a better view. To the imps. The invisible imps. We still aren't letting him live that down.
"Yeah I can break necks with my mind." Tristan, Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Version, Episode 31.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri May 15, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

peevo wrote:DnD 4e, I'm DMing. The players (Sorcerer, Warlock, Swordmage, and Paladin) were traveling to a city, and of course had a random encounter, which happened to be like 4 or 6 imps. With the ability to turn invisible at-will. So, at one point there are 2 imps near the Sorcerer. Imps turn, they shift out, and go invisible. Sorcerer's turn. What does he do? Pulls out a ladder. And then tries to put it up to a wagon, so that he can climb on the wagon. So he can get a better view. To the imps. The invisible imps. We still aren't letting him live that down.

There's a class in 4e called "Swordmage"?
Is there another called "Axecleric"?
Or maybe "Macerogue"?

(Disclaimer: I"m being cantankerous, I really have no objection)
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

mdx_stargoliath

Postby mdx_stargoliath » Tue May 19, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

On Halo...when it first came out me and my friends would always play multiplayer together and have fun mini tournaments. Well I was at a friends house and it was jsut me and his brother playing halo. We both got in some scorpions and just straight charged each other and shot at each other mindlessly. I kept swerving back and forth dodging each round and trying to take the least bit of damage from the machine gun turret as well. He matched me move for move and we finally reached each other but just kept going. His Scorpion tank tracks rolled right over my tank and he lifted straight in to the air ramping off my tank. While gliding through the air his tank turned upside down and I swear it felt like something in an action movie. Everything went in slo-mo my tank gun slowly rotated around pointed straight at the opposing mid air upside down scorpion and I blew his ass straight out of the tank. It was the funniest thing you'd ever seen, oh man, I'd never seen anything like that occur on halo.
Your life is your own and you are not governed by a predetermined destiny.

We Hope...

Hitoversit

Postby Hitoversit » Wed May 20, 2009 3:26 am UTC

After being banned from playing narcissistic paladins that abuse Detect Evil I decided to play a rather peaceable human wizard who only used his magic for cooking--naturally I loaded every spell slot with summon food and summon water (cantrips that I scribed, GM didn't see any issues with it). The story arc progressed rather well and I didn't cause any problems until much later in levels. Well, as little amount of problems a wizard screaming "food fight!"could cause. Then I saw my chance. With a fireball and over twenty cantrips of food+water scribed for the day I found myself at the back of the group running through a tight corridor to escape a nasty lot of baddies. Naturally I turned to the GM on my turn and said, "I'd like to cast some instant spells." And turned the entire corridor into oatmeal.

My first solo dogfight in EVE actually ended up a stalemate. I was in a T1 Stabber, the opponent in a T2 Crusader running scorch. He tackled me and started scoring some pretty amazing hits, so I bursted the MWD to keep him on transversal (essentially aiming my AC's like Arties). When I saw my ship was out of control I was ready to jump away, and he popped too! My loss 8M, his loss 20M. Great way to start your solo pvp record.

A really good NO SHIT story about Planetside: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09 ... ide-the-1/

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Wed May 20, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

Hitoversit wrote:A really good NO SHIT story about Planetside: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09 ... ide-the-1/
I have no real stories to add, but I would like to say that The 1% (that story) is really freakin awesome.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu May 21, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Recently in a 3.5 game:

We were playing in an evil campaign, and I was a dread necromancer. Over the course of the game, I have been slowly convincing the other players that being undead is aw some, especially with me around. So after half the party is deceased, I, rightfully so, decide that I am the owner of the rather powerful artifact being carried by the party, and take it. This leads to a realization in the rest of the party that there isn't a damn thing they can do about this development. Except for the one guy, but now I use his skeleton to pull my rickshaw. The rest of the party agreed it was mine.
418 I'm a teapot

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu May 21, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

Was playing TF2 earlier, on 2fort.

I was a BLU pyro on the walkway in the RED's courtyard. A soldier appeared in the courtyard, so I jumped for him. He direct hitted me with a rocket, blasting me over his head, onto the walkway behind him. I managed to set fire to him while flying overhead, then jumped back down and finished him off. Felt awesome.

Return to “Gaming”