No shit, there we were... (Gaming Stories)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Pixel

No shit, there we were... (Gaming Stories)

Postby Pixel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:43 pm UTC

Gaming stories. You know you have them. The sillier the better.

My personal favorite, from a Shadowrun game:

We needed to gain access to the house of the head of security for the building we were breaking into. So we called for a pizza to be delivered to a remote location, jumped the driver and knocked him out. Then we tied him up and stole his pizza car, uniform shirt & hat.

Dressed the elf up as a delivery guy, and had him knock on the door while the troll & dwarf hid in the bushes. Got access to the house, interrogated the guy and got the info we needed.

Then we drove back to where we'd left the unconscious pizza guy, and while the Troll ate all the pizzas we untied the guy, put him back in his car, dug the bong out from under the seat and left that on the passenger seat and split. So when he was found it looked like he'd gotten stoned, eaten the pizzas he was supposed to deliver and passed out.

The perfect crime.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

Eberron. We were in a small village in Karrnath, and my artificer (along with the rest of the party) had been arrested on false charges. We're in the jail, and hear fighting outside. The guard runs out, and after a few rounds I use the energy ray I put into my goggles to shatter the lock. We run outside to find it was a brawl involving a half-orc, which is now over. The captain of the guard (with all of the rest of the guard around him) turns around and sees us.
"What the hell are you doing out of your cell?"
"We came to help, we thought the town was under attack."
"How did you get out?"
"It was unlocked." (makes bluff check)
The captain turns to one of the guards. "Wesley!!"
"We'll be going now." We run back as he chews out the guard who was guarding us, and I use make whole from my Dragonmark to repair the lock and leave it unlocked. The captain comes, sees the lock unbroken and unlocked, and throws Wesley in with us. He then double-checks that the lock is locked :P
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:24 am UTC

D&D,
I jumped from the top of an eight floor tower, on to of the heads of two of the 16 orcs below, killing them instantly (This was level 2 mind you, by myself) then proceeded to slaughter every single orc, and also the archers 50 feet away (Of which there were also 16)
It must have been the least likely sequence of dice rolls in history.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Awezing

Postby Awezing » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:04 am UTC

I was GMing a Rifts game, and the party was in a long hallway in the basement of some medical lab-type building, and just got out of an elevator into said hallway, only to see a man in a suit of angry looking power armour at the end of the hallway, armed with a rail gun and a large vibro-sword. This was bad for them, because the strongest weapons they had were AK-47s, molotev cocktails, and 1 disposable LAW (if anybody who plays rifts reads this, i use 1 MD = 10 SDC)

So one guy who's playing a military commando guy decides to charge the suit of power armour, throwing a molotev cocktail at him.

He then spends the next few rounds dodging a flaming robot suit with a large flaming sword in a really cramped space. If the power armour had landed even one hit on him he would have died. somehow he came out alive and well. it was pretty intense/amazing.

Then the building exploded, and they got stuck for a few days in a basement of a house. then there was a zombie outbreak in the Chi-Town burbs. It was pretty fun.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:21 am UTC

Awezing wrote:He then spends the next few rounds dodging a flaming robot suit with a large flaming sword in a really cramped space.

A flaming Vibo-sword....
GENIUS!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:58 am UTC

I was DMing a chase scene in a high fantasy D&D campaign, and some cowardly NPC thief had picked up a few books in the royal library. One party member's first, and last, encounter was hunting him down. The aptly named "Hall of Glass" would seem to be an easy escape route, lots of confusing reflections and nice shiny things to hide behind, and whatnot... not from our friendly neighborhood Paladin. His answer? " I cast Detect Evil, and charge." ... through 6 or 7 full-wall mirrors. His last action before becoming unconscious and bleeding to death was to grapple said rogue, and pin him under 300 pounds of plate-wearing adventurer. The group's mage was kind enough to recover the book. And the paladin's pocket change.
Let me fall out of the window, with confetti in my hair...

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:37 pm UTC

I didn't play in this campaign, but it was being run in my dining room by an ex-housemate. He had decided to run an evil campaign just for something different. Later, one of his players told me this story:

The player in question aquired himself a large bag of holding and (by means not mentioned) an Elven child. Upon the bag he had embroidered: Bag of Detect Secret Doors, or somthing to that effect. He then amputated the limbs of the Elven child and stuffed them in the bag. Whenever they were in a dungeon, he would pull the Elven child out of the sack, and hold it to the walls as they walked. When the Elf started squirming, they would search the space for a secret door.

Every time they came to a town, they would sell this bag to some unsuspecting citizen, generally misleading them over how the bag worked. Then, they would steal the bag back as they left town.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:05 am UTC

Once, while playing GURPS, I had to kill a single security guard at a spaceship hanger, and expected it to be really easy. This guy had a taser, and I was lurking a few feet away, invisible, with a Splinter Gun, a truly badass weapon invented just for this campaign. I also had pretty beast Rifle skills and high dexterity, to the point where I thought a role was essentially useless. In fact, I would succeed if I rolled anything but three sixes.

Which of course I did.

Three sixes is always a critical failure. I was tasered, knocking me unconscious and making me visible, and then shot in the head by another NPC further away who came running over. The GM was laughing his head off the whole time, and I was fuming.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:09 am UTC

bbctol wrote:Which of course I did.

Rolls always happens just like that. I have an opposite story: a group I was DMing managed to get in over their heads (again), and pretty much their only hope was to roll 100 on a d% for their Rod of Wonder. They didn't know what the rod would do if they rolled it - only that I'd told them they could use the Rod of Shooting Gems, Butterflies, and Creating Darkness (as they affectionally called it, having not identified it yet), but a 100 was the only thing that would help them.

Sure enough, the guy holding the rod rolled 00 on both dice, I took a photo with my mobile in memorial.
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:44 am UTC

Ugh. I hate "roll X or die" sorts of things, but I suppose they have to happen in RPGs based on randomness.

Angseth, an evil wizard, was one of the most fun characters I ever played. Once, a party member wanted me to assassinate several of her competitors (she ran a brothel in one of the cities), so I wrote several letters with maximized Explosive Runes on them, and then found some orphans. "Deliver this to Mr. X, and he'll pay you a gold piece. Make sure you stay near him as he reads it, because that's where the instructions to pay you are."

Later, we were trudging through the snowy mountains, and saw a group of shapes on a hill gesturing at us. We'd been attacked by every random encounter before, and the party had always convinced me to keep a hold on my trigger finger until we got attacked first. This time I decided I had had enough, and launched a pre-emptive Fireball. A short battle ensued, but the party bard managed to convince the dwarves (who the shapes turned out to be) to stop fighting. They were bloodied and lumped together, and another fireball would have finished them, but I decided that in the interests of party harmony I would let them live. They demanded that we head back to Dwarfton and pay reparations for the two I had killed; we agreed, hoping that we would be able to hire a guide at Dwarfton to take us to the ancient temple we were heading to.

At Dwarfton, my arrogant Elven ways infuriated the Dwarf king, so I was thrown out of the city. The party ninja snuck out after me in order to assassinate me, but thanks to my paranoia, I was able to react and use an amulet we had been carrying for some time that our Evil Secret Society (TM) enemies had used to teleport back to their main base. The rest of the party sat still for a moment of stunned disbelief, then launched into "why the hell did we let him carry that?"

I never got over the irony that sparing the dwarves, which the DM expected us to ignore or kill, in the hopes of pleasing the party was what resulted in me being ousted.

After my induction in the Evil Secret Society (ESS), I headed out to the temple and managed to bypass most of the guardians. In a few spots I left Explosive Runes for the party to find, and then got to the room where the Sword of Destiny (I don't remember it's actual name) was.

Previously, I had found twelve identical masterwork longswords, and put maximized Explosive Runes on all of them. Then I got a cheap gem and put Magic Mouth on it, to have a riddle informing the party that only one of the swords was real, and that choosing the wrong one would result in punishment. I took the real sword, and arranged the twelve around the room, then left.

The party made their way through the dungeon, then got to the room that used to hold the Sword of Destiny. After a few ideas, they realized they couldn't figure out which one was real, and so decided to brute force it. 360 lost hit points later, they finally realized they had been tricked.

Later, I turned on the ESS and became a Lich, and had an uneasy alliance with the party to destroy the high priest of the ESS. I procured a scroll of gate, and after the party and I had made it to the room of the final battle and a few rounds had passed, I used it to summon a Pit Fiend. Then, I had the Pit Fiend Blasphemy- paralyzing the rest of my party (except for one character who had recently been remade, and happened to be evil). The Pit Fiend and I battled the high priest, who had not been as weakened as I thought; he made his save on both of my save-or-dies (and he had around a 50% chance to fail!), and then finally hit me with a Heal, which of course I failed my save for. The Pit Fiend then killed the High Priest after a few more rounds, and would have killed the party if the DM hadn't saved them with some Deus ex Machina.

I reformed in three days, teleported back to the room, and collected my gear, since no one had thought to loot it (it had fallen quite a bit, as we were fighting, flying, over a pit).

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:Ugh. I hate "roll X or die" sorts of things, but I suppose they have to happen in RPGs based on randomness.

It only happens when your players manage to get themselves into sticky situations that you, as a DM, then have to rescue them from - assuming you want to rescue them, but I'd already had one re-roll since we'd started. I'm sure that most of them would have survived the encounter with a lesser roll, but there was a pretty high likelihood that they wouldn't have survived if they didn't try to use the rod, or if they'd rolled the butterfly result again.

Gems would have also been a good result for them, the very young dragon would have been distracted and they would have taken advatage of that fact.
Linguistic Anarchist

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:59 am UTC

It only happens when your players manage to get themselves into sticky situations that you, as a DM, then have to rescue them from
Or the host of save-or-die spells and abilities.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:03 am UTC

I beat Veiwtiful Joe on V-Rated mode.
No shit.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Two consecutive natural 20's... one to HEAR a sniper's bullet, and one to dodge the sniper's bullet. Several people witnessed them. My GM had been trying HARD to kill me (it was a Hard Target campaign, the goal was to make a character that would last the longest, but EVENTUALLY die). I actually outlasted his attention span, thanks to those two magical, magical dice.

Also, a fistfight broke out with a psychotic 'friend' I had invited (who kept all his dice in his mouth. ALL HIS DICE. IN HIS MOUTH.)

Oh, and I Ultra-Combo'd Eyedoll.... when no-one was around to see it. :( Pisses me off to this day.

xooll

Postby xooll » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:24 am UTC

I was running a post-apocalyptic game. The PCs' friends were being held captive in a shopping plaza that had been walled off with cars and shopping carts. If they tried to climb the wall, a guy would shoot them. So they stole one of those car-carrier trucks from the car dealership. They salvaged some old desks from the school and tied them onto the front of the truck for protection from flying objects. And they proceeded to crash the truck at high speed into the wall.
I love my players.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:03 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
It only happens when your players manage to get themselves into sticky situations that you, as a DM, then have to rescue them from
Or the host of save-or-die spells and abilities.

Save or die on a single player basis I don't care about (and I'm pretty sure they removed all of those from DnD in 3.5 anyway - the worst they can do to you is -1 and dying these days).

This was going to be a TPK if luck didn't go their way on that roll.
Linguistic Anarchist

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:04 am UTC

I'm pretty sure they removed all of those from DnD in 3.5 anyway - the worst they can do to you is -1 and dying these days
While that's a sensible and not uncommon house rule, death effects still exist, and are still nasty.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:13 am UTC

*shrug* I can't remember a single "death" spell that didn't get toned down in 3.5, is all. But being as I'm at work and my books are at home: meh.
Linguistic Anarchist

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:27 am UTC

The following spells are still save-or-die (I don't have quick access to 3.0 stuff, so I can't compare whether or not they got nerfed a bit):
Baleful Polymorph
Blasphemy
Circle of Death
Cloudkill
Dictum
Disintegrate
Energy Drain
Enervation
Finger of Death
Flesh to Stone
Holy Word
Implosion
Imprisonment
Phantasmal Killer
Slay Living
Symbol of Death
Trap the Soul
Wail of the Banshee
Weird
Word of Chaos

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:40 am UTC

Total re-edit now that I have my book in hand. This isn't comprehensive, it just based on the list above.

Save or Die
Spells that you must make a save against of you will just die.
Baleful Polymorph (assuming certain conditions that grant you +4 to your save)
Finger of Death
Implosion
Slay Living
Wail of the Banshee

Save or Incapacitated
Spells that won't kill you, but will certainly remove you from a fight.
Flesh to Stone (reversed by Stone to Flesh)
Imprisonment (reversed by Wish)
Trap the Soul (freed when the gem is shattered)

Save, or Save or Die
Spells that give you two chances at saving before dying.
Phantasmal Killer
Weird

Probably Save or Die
Spells that will probably do you in through sheer damage
Disintegrate (2d6 per caster level damage = ouch)
Symbol of Death (kills up to 150 HP against 15HD creatures at CR)

Unlikely to Kill you at CR
Assuming the lowest caster level, spells that are fairly ineffective assuming a challenge between equal to CR+2 for the party.
Blasphemy/Dictum/Holy Word/Word of Chaos (caster needs 10 levels on you to kill)
Circle of Death (Caster level 11 - cannot affect creatures with 9 or more HD)
Cloudkill (only deals con damage at CR)
Energy Drain (drains 2d4 levels on 9-11HD creatures)
Enervation (drains 1d4 levels on 5-7HD creatures)

Of course, this is why parties generally operate on the "gank the mage" tactic. :D
Linguistic Anarchist

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:08 pm UTC

I forgot the one I hated the most...

AD&D 2nd Ed game. My wizard is hiding behind the seriously overpowered Paladin, where I am casting spells. Black dragon breathes a gout of acid. Paladin makes his saving throw...

... and dodges. My wizard was not allowed a saving throw. 68 points of overkill damage was dealt. Everyone laughed.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

Badmouthed the Computer in Paranoia, and somehow didn't die.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

well, we recently were playing a game of shadow run.
(our party consists of a physical adept obsessed with 20th century gun ballets, a dwarven decker, and a mage) we were Hired by Lone Star to find the killer of the the boss of the Irish mafia. Our original plan was to frame his daughter and the son of the leader of the local Yakuza for the hit, weakening both, but ended up actually finding the real killer entirely by accident. who we turned in to both the Irish mafia and Lone Star, making money from both. Then we got rid of the Korean sopa rings and united the local Triads under one leader and are now well on our way to stabilizing the Seattle underworld.

All before xp has been handed out for the first time.
418 I'm a teapot

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:54 pm UTC

Was in a Shadowrun game, and my rigger was equipped with a massively upgraded taxi cab sporting a turreted chaingun hidden in the roof sign.

I was racing at 100+mph down the freeway being chased by an attack helicopter. I'd been plinking away at it with the chaingun, but consistently rolling low damage. on my last attack the GM informed me I had to do only 2 points of damage for it to be too crippled to keep following me. I rolled 36 points of damage, and which point it exploded in a fireball which then crashed into the freeway. So now I'm racing at 100+mph being followed a rolling tumbling fireball of helicopter wreckage.

This character consistently managed to have amazing rolls when it didn't matter. I had a long drawn out battle with a group of bikers, took damage and only after many rounds manged to take most of them out. The last biker was uninjured, and decided to run for it. He hopped on his bike and fled. I only had time for one shot before he'd be out of range. I rolled a critical success and blew his head off.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

Dude, for a second I thought you were me, ClockworkMonk! Nice avatar, it's my old one! :wink:

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

took me a while to get it the right size. had to cut it down from a wallpaper I found on a site a couple years ago for a version of the movie. Using msPaint.
418 I'm a teapot

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:40 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Two consecutive natural 20's...

More fun: 2 consecutive natural 1's - first for my monk to miss completely, and then lose his arm.

I proceeded to win it back in a game of cards with some highly powerful evil creature. Well, mostly anyway...monk with one skeletal arm FTW.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:42 pm UTC

Hehe, I was a DM when a player rolled double natural 1's to get his hands bitten off by a wyvern (the same paladin that dodged and killed me, coincidentally!) There was a whole quest for him to get replacement hands.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:50 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:Dude, for a second I thought you were me, ClockworkMonk! Nice avatar, it's my old one! :wink:

I just realized I've been thinking ClockWorkMonk was Rodan for the past three days.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

D&D3.5 with 10th-level characters being attacked by an adult red dragon.

In the 15-or-so-round fight the DM rolled a natural 1 three or four times against my Warlock's Save-or-Blindness attack giving us pretty much just enough time to mash the hell out of it and take it down. (Multiple people in the party were in the single digits for HP.)

xooll

Postby xooll » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

This was in a vampire game. A Draugr (dangerous vampire-gone-mad) was on the loose, and since we were young as vampires and not that powerful, we had been advised by our elders to stay put. But we got bored. My character, a gigantic, short-tempered anarchist, and another character who was batshit insane and believed himself a pirate, somehow got to talking about how cool it would be to wrestle a bear. One thing led to another, and soon enough we were on our way to go get a bear and feed it vampire blood. We drove into the nearby mountains, the draugr forgotten, and I summoned a bear using my vampire powers. He fed it blood while some nearby werewolves laughed at us. While we were driving back, I accidentally hit the draugr with the car, earning us a commendation from the prince. The bear was alarmed, but unharmed.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

WalkerRiley

Re: No shit, there we were...

Postby WalkerRiley » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Palladium Fantasy -

We had a group of five. Four of us were in a tavern in a small town trying to gather some information on a vampire clan we were tracking. Fifth guy was on lookout duty as it was getting to be nightfall. There weren't many patrons so we figured the best source of info would be the bartender, being he hears all the gossip and whatnot. So we start by asking him kindly...doesn't work. He wants none of it. So we try to buy the info off him. He says he'll take our money for food and shelter, but he isn't going to talk about anything else. We threaten him, since he was obviously withholding info from us. The guy must have been some ex lvl 15 Merc cause he could dodge/block/catch anything we threw at him. He even had a high vs magic cause our wizard couldn't get a spell on him to save our lives. We ended up tossed out on our asses. Most embarressing. So our lookout says "Yea? Let me go try. He might talk to me" and we say "Yea sure you go on ahead and have your ass handed to you."

So he goes in and sits down at an empty table. Feels something grab his shoulder and immediatly stabs behind him with his dagger. Hits the damned bartender right between the eyes killing him instantly. (He rolled an aught one on his skill check, then a natural 20 on his to hit roll, lucky bastard).

Obviously we made a hurried leave of town before local authorities could nab us. From then on he was known as "Tharn, Killer of Bartenders"

Another one, same campaign and character group minus our summoner who managed to get herself killed by her own summon (don't summon things you can't control, damnit ><), adding a thief whom was played by the same person:

We finally track the vamps down to their lair and are formulating a plan to silently eradicate them (involved sneaking in during daylight hours and having our wizard cast several Globe of Daylight spells inside their cave/temple/thingy) when our overly devout priest walks up to the entrance and shouts in a booming voice loud enough to be heard for a mile in all directions "Come forth ye denizens of darkness! Come forth and be turned to dust as ye should be!!" The Merc jumps him to shut him up but its too late. Swarm of vamps come hurtling outta the entrance.

So we sacrificed the priest and ran like hell. Out of the five of us, the thief and merc made it out unharmed, the blade mage was injured slightly, the wizard was in critical condition, and the priest was....scattered in many directions.

We asked the player later if he had some idea of what he was doing or if he was just being stupid. A glance at his sheet revealed we were traveling with a priest who had the intelligence of a carrot and no lore in the supernatural whatsoever. He'd have gotten massive xp for roleplaying if his character had lived (Nice GM let him put it towards a new character).
Le1bn1z wrote:No more Florida babies. Except for the purposes of scientific research or food.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

So, D&D 3.5, sixth level party, I'm a cleric. We're fighting a castle full of goblins that we are (unintentionally) fighting all at once. Fine. So we're going into Full Badass Mode, doing very well. We're taking damage from manticore tail spikes and a sorcerer that we lined up for a lightning bolt from, but otherwise doing very well indeed. After a long, hard fight, the manticore flies overhead--and I immediately cast command and order it to drop to the ground, at which point everyone runs in and beats it to death.

The awesome part of this story is that I did it to a red dragon the very next session with similar results.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

FACM

Postby FACM » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:48 am UTC

In what would be the introductory mission of a shamefully short Deadlands campaign, my huckster won a mummy's soul in a poker game without using magic. I never actually got to claim said soul, since some minions clamoring about a curse broke into the poker tournament, and stole it before I could rightfully claim it.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Shadowrun:
In a game I was running.

The shadowrunner's regular employer (mafia) hires them to kill someone, someone who they had already sold to the triad (a highly skilled researcher). But, they also had a Triad contract to give them the researcher.

So, they did the logical thing.

They cut off the researcher's finger, and gave him to the Triad, for the money.

Then they went to the slums, found a bum who had roughly the same body-shape as the guy they wanted. Used nano-paste and a good deal of programming skill to remake his face into a copy of the researcher. Tortured and beat him, then cut off his finger, all on camera. Then killed him, gave the tape to the mafia employer, and collected that bounty.

Then, when the mafia found out they'd been had, they put out a contract on the shadowrunner's team leader. So he faked his own death, and collected his own bounty.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:22 am UTC

In a D&D 4E game I ran...

The party's Warlock was out scouting around a group of goblins located in a cavern. He got to the edge of the forest around a clearing that the cavern was in the middle of and stopped, needing to avoid being noticed by two guards at the entrance. Wanting to get past them without being noticed, he comes up with a plan involving the Misty Step pact boon, which lets the Warlock teleport 15' when the target they've cursed dies. However, the guards are about 30' away so a single cursed target won't work; fortunately for him he found a Rod of Corruption earlier, which lets the Warlock curse multiple targets when one cursed target dies.

Still without any targets to actually curse, he does a survival check and finds a number of small insects in the forest immediately around him. He curses one, squishes it and transfers the curse to half a dozen others. Having to stomp on several insects at the same time is harder, so he has to roll to "attack" them.

He rolls a natural 1.

Deciding that just missing all of the bugs isn't a total failure in this situation; he instead just crushes one of them and teleports halfway between the cover of the forest and the guards. They raise the alarm and a large band of goblins pours out of the entrance, wrecking the party's plan and forcing the Warlock to flee.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Durinthal wrote:Still without any targets to actually curse, he does a survival check and finds a number of small insects in the forest immediately around him. He curses one, squishes it and transfers the curse to half a dozen others. Having to stomp on several insects at the same time is harder, so he has to roll to "attack" them.

Personally, I wouldn't think the soul of a small insect is worth a pact boon. I believe this definitely falls into the "no, it has to be an actual *target*" philosophy. Imo, at least.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Oh, so the life of an insect is worth less? Speciesist bastard. A soul is a soul! Equality for insects!
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Eh, I thought it was creative enough to let him try it anyway. It's not stretching the rules that much (to me, at least) and wouldn't have significantly affected the game either way.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Oh, so the life of an insect is worth less? Speciesist bastard. A soul is a soul! Equality for insects!

Yes. Insects are foul creatures, barely worth the effort it takes to crush them. At least so go the gods that you're getting boons from. In any case, they have teensy tiny souls.

Durinthal wrote:Eh, I thought it was creative enough to let him try it anyway. It's not stretching the rules that much (to me, at least) and wouldn't have significantly affected the game either way.

No, in this case it certainly wouldn't have, and in the end it's about having fun. Just recognize that the Pact Boon is a true benefit, and if you can get it for free by cursing bugs and squishing them, you're giving a significant sort of powerup. It's of a different nature than, say, attacking the ground to get the +2 AC bonus effect from the attack. I'm just warning you to make sure the player doesn't expect that to work in the future.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Return to “Gaming”