Strip Settlers of Catan

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

borvise

Strip Settlers of Catan

Postby borvise » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

This original is basically the result of musings from bmparsons and I after a Settlers trade involved two girls flashing us for a while. It was a good game.

The Rules:
Standard Settlers Rules apply with the following additions:

Additions:
    * An article of clothing (hereout called a dud) consists of a continuous piece of fabric, vinyl, leather, etc. in the form of a shirt, skirt, sock, blanket, etc.
    * Players may trade duds like any other resource, but they do not count as resources for the robber or development cards.
    * Players may use Dares in trades if the trade involves duds
      o All players in the game must agree on Dares before the trade containing it finishes.
    * All players have a maximum of 8 duds.
    * In addition to ten victory points, players must retain one dud.
    * At any point in the game, all but one player may agree to trade in a dud to raise the winning condition to 13 victory points.
    * When a player plays a development card (Soldier, Road Building, Monopoly, etc.), other players may steal the card instead by removing two duds.
New Trading Opportunities:
    * Once during his/her turn, a player may trade away a dud for two sheep.
    * Players may trade away 2 of each Resource card for 1 dud.
    * When a player loses resources from a robber for having more than 7 resource cards, that player also loses one dud.
    * Players being robbed (via the robber being moved onto one of that player's resources), may offer duds to the player controlling the robber instead of resource cards.

I'll update to reflect ya'll's (word...) suggestions.
Last edited by borvise on Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:07 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:21 am UTC

No comments on this yet? I think it's a fucking fantastic idea. I'd so do it if I knew any willing girls. Or, you know, any girls at all.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:45 am UTC

Well, I was deciding if it was spam...

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:07 am UTC

Rodan wrote:Well, I was deciding if it was spam...

Certainly doesn't sound like spam to me... maybe this was his first post and I didn't notice?

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:46 am UTC

Well, when it involves stripping, a guy with few posts and no avatar, and only like, two views, I'm cautious.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:03 am UTC

To those unfamiliar with Settlers of Catan (me), the title reads "{Strip Settlers} of Catan", rather than "Strip {Settlers of Catan}", which is really bizarre.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:07 am UTC

I's kind of a cool idea, Settlers of catan is fun.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:23 am UTC

bbctol wrote:No comments on this yet? I think it's a fucking fantastic idea. I'd so do it if I knew any willing girls. Or, you know, any girls at all.
Do it with all guys! It might end up more fun than you expect!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:04 am UTC

Ok, someone needs to come up with rules for Strip Carcasonne now

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:14 pm UTC

Strip Risk?
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

Every time you take a country, you have to take and wear a piece of clothing from the person you took it from?

Easton

Postby Easton » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

Strip risk? I like it.

Just team up with a friend and eliminate someone else. They'll be starkers in no time.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Every time you take a country, you have to take and wear a piece of clothing from the person you took it from?

lol awesome
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

borvise

Postby borvise » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

Finally Replies!
Yeah, now that you point it out, it was sketchy—sorry about that.

I used "dud" because it was easier to type than "articles of clothing," especially as I'm trying to learn DVORAK.

Strip Risk?

We played risk rather often—then I got Settlers and we kind of forgot about it. Rules for this could also be fun.

Every time you take a country, you have to take and wear a piece of clothing from the person you took it from?

That would be so funny! When someone gets to winning, they would be so overloaded with clothes they'd be like the kid from A Christmas Story!

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

Strip Diplomacy/RealPolitik would be fun. Maybe... supply centers would be articles of clothing?

It would introduce a whole knew level to the diplomacy, too! "Alright, I'll move into Trieste, but the next piece of clothing you lose has to be your shirt"

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

And for reinforcements? "I'll support you on your way to France if you lose all your clothes."

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:14 am UTC

If you take my last country and/or supply center, I'm going to have to take off my boxers, and you're going to have to wear them. Consider your options carefully.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:39 am UTC

I think the girls would get ganged up on.

that sounds even worse then it is. :roll:

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:03 am UTC

Owijad wrote:Strip Risk?

Great, now my habit of making strange desires out of thin air is coming up.
Now I want to see Napolean naked.
THANKS A LOT OWIJAD!

hmmm... I think Strip Monopoly is already well established,
I think it'd be cool... Clothes just have a set Monetary value....
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:08 am UTC

The Juggernaut offensive - Russia and Turkey must discard one of the player's clothes, and simultaneously wear the other player's clothes. Hope you have some stretchy underwear...

borvise

Postby borvise » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

Are there any more ideas for strip settlers?

Easton

Postby Easton » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

I'm going to steal two comments I read on another site about this idea that I found rather amusing. Their premise was this was a alcohol free bachelor party, and interpreted it to be all-male. Read on and enjoy.

1)
Risk, being a game about power and war and, most of all, dice, has the characteristics necessary for it to be popular with that subset of society that is usually termed "spoddy boys & blokes." Consequently, it is difficult to read the idea without visualising neilp's statement of the state of the parties at the end of the game; a naked cluster of milk-white chubby men, of varying degrees of hairiness, each shivering in the aircon breeze, each looking enviously at the rapidly pinkening face of the victor, which sits, smug and sweating, atop a styleless woolly spheroid. And I am not sure that that is a good thing.

2)
And I thought this was about crossing borders.

Easton

Postby Easton » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:52 am UTC

I've effectively killed what was once a shining and promising idea.

I apologize.

borvise

Postby borvise » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:28 am UTC

's allright. It was a good comment.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

Personally, I think the point of strip _____ games is to get people undressed in some amusing fashion. That said, two important comments must be made:

1) I don't think buying back clothing should be so easy. Make it 1 of each resource, or 4:1. 2:1 trading of any type should be able to get anybody fully dressed on one or two trips around the board with lucky dice rolling, especially in the endgame when you've got a couple cities and multiple different settlements.

2) We ought to add new development cards, or change the way they operate, to enable clothing-manipulation. For example, "Monopoly: Take all of a given resource type from all players. Each player may remove an article of clothing to keep a resource card for themselves."

While I enjoy Settlers, and my group of friends enjoys Settlers, we're all guys. I don't know a lot of females who really enjoy the game, and when people aren't into it the game gets one-sided and non-fun really fast. Then it takes another hour before somebody wins. There needs to be some other rule change to make the games more accessible, or perhaps just shorter.

A hand of strip poker takes less than 60 seconds. A competitive game of Settlers takes at least 60 minutes. At the end of a round of strip poker, people are often laughing and joking about the outcome. At the end of a round of Settlers, the discussion is typically academic or depressing, talking about probabilities of dice rolls coming out or how long ago somebody knew they were out of the game. Love the concept, but questioning the ability to execute well.

borvise

Postby borvise » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:10 am UTC

1: I changed the wording on these two rules to be clearer for what I meant.

"Once during his/her turn, a player may trade away a dud for two sheep."
"Players may trade away 2 of each Resource card for 1 dud."

The only way to regain clothing is to trade 2 of everything or trade with others.

2: Good idea. I added a new rule:
* When a player plays a development card (Soldier, Road Building, Monopoly, etc.), other players may steal the card instead by removing two duds.

3: I went to a nerd high school (applying to both genders), and there is no real shortage of female friends willing to play. We usually finish a game in 40 minutes or so and always keep up a good banter. But that might just be us.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

It may also be my personal experience, what with people here taking the games a bit more seriously. Also, after trying some of the expansions (esp. Cities & Knights) we're starting to get frustrated, those get 1-sided much faster and take a lot longer.

I say if you can find women willing to take their clothes off, it doesn't matter what you're playing, so good for you!

LSK

Postby LSK » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

Other possible strip games:

Strip Kill Doctor Lucky - discard clothing when trying to assassinate the Doctor or something.

Strip Pokemon (video game) - discard clothing each time a Pokemon is KOed.

Strip Puerto Rico - each time you ship goods, remove an article of clothing

Strip Magic: The Gathering - each 2 damage you take, remove 1 article.

Strip SSBM - play short matches.

Strip D+D - no.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:21 am UTC

Gwydion wrote:Personally, I think the point of strip _____ games is to get people undressed in some amusing fashion. That said, two important comments must be made:

1) I don't think buying back clothing should be so easy. Make it 1 of each resource, or 4:1. 2:1 trading of any type should be able to get anybody fully dressed on one or two trips around the board with lucky dice rolling, especially in the endgame when you've got a couple cities and multiple different settlements.

2) We ought to add new development cards, or change the way they operate, to enable clothing-manipulation. For example, "Monopoly: Take all of a given resource type from all players. Each player may remove an article of clothing to keep a resource card for themselves."

While I enjoy Settlers, and my group of friends enjoys Settlers, we're all guys. I don't know a lot of females who really enjoy the game, and when people aren't into it the game gets one-sided and non-fun really fast. Then it takes another hour before somebody wins. There needs to be some other rule change to make the games more accessible, or perhaps just shorter.

A hand of strip poker takes less than 60 seconds. A competitive game of Settlers takes at least 60 minutes. At the end of a round of strip poker, people are often laughing and joking about the outcome. At the end of a round of Settlers, the discussion is typically academic or depressing, talking about probabilities of dice rolls coming out or how long ago somebody knew they were out of the game. Love the concept, but questioning the ability to execute well.

i love Settlers!! :) my group of friends and i have a games night once every month or 2... it's actually a pretty even split girls/guys. i find Settlers to be one of the more accessible games, actually!! our next games night is dedicated to getting through Twilight Imperium... i wonder how a strip version of that would work!!! :D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

borvise

Postby borvise » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Alright. I'm going to try and get a group together to play with this current rendition of the rules. I'll let ya'll know how it goes when it happens.

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

borvise wrote:Alright. I'm going to try and get a group together to play with this current rendition of the rules. I'll let ya'll know how it goes when it happens.

You serious? Nice.

philth

Re: Strip Settlers of Catan

Postby philth » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:17 am UTC

Resurrected in honor of todays comic.

http://xkcd.com/696/

Worst. Reason. Ever. -ST

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:27 am UTC

I honestly thought this was created in between the time of the comic being posted and now. Reading the last post, I suddenly find this thread slightly creepier, and a lot more strange.

LondubhAWC

Postby LondubhAWC » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:02 am UTC

Strip Bang!: When you lose your last health, you may instead turn in one article of clothing to ignore that hit.

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

These rules are too complicated. You don't get people to play strip anything sober, and then, it's kinda pointless if everyone's in a partial state of undress without also being in an altered state. The rule is: you lose an article if someone takes away longest or largest from you, or if you get robbed or soldiered and have no resources to give away. Done. Now, go stock up on vodka and daydream about the girls who will not only learn to play Settlers, but will also play the strip version. The vodka helps.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

i have to admit, i've never played the strip version (though you're right, alcohol needs to be involved with strip-anything) but i *love* Settlers! there are all sorts of girls who'll play!!

strip Apples to Apples would probably be fun too! :D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

FrankManic

Postby FrankManic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

Around here we play on fairly simple rules.

1. If the robber lands on a land controlled by you, remove a piece of clothing and give it to the person who just moved the robber.

2. That person must then put it on their head.

3. Person with the niftiest hat at the end of the game wins.

pretty much everyone ends up naked, so really, everyone wins.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:19 am UTC

shinybaby wrote: strip Apples to Apples would probably be fun too! :D

That might be easier to do. I will have to investigate this.
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

Adjal

Postby Adjal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:37 am UTC

Rules for Strip Risk:
Each player can only wear as many articles of clothing as they have countries.
No need to wear more than wished.
Last country lost means you's naked and you lose (must remain present and naked for remainder of game + 5 minutes).
Bra/panties can be considered 1 article of clothing for fairness if needed to convince girls to play.

Recommended: Even # Guys/Girls

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:18 am UTC

There are people I sometimes play Settlers with, and there are people I would like to get naked with, and these groups are distinctly separate, thank you very much.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Return to “Gaming”