Games that aged well (Merge'd - Old Favorites)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

InstinctSage

Re: Games that aged well (PC)

Postby InstinctSage » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:52 am UTC

With little dudes!

Oh look! Stoo is falling over on the ice!
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:31 am UTC

I enjoy playing some of the Infocom text adventures, which came out in the 80s. They're still extremely playable and fun (to me, at least :D)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:34 am UTC

StrengthInFaith wrote:I enjoy playing some of the Infocom text adventures, which came out in the 80s. They're still extremely playable and fun (to me, at least :D)

Oh, yes, fun. Until you end up in the dark without a light source.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:45 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Oh, yes, fun. Until you end up in the dark without a light source.

That can be a bit of a pain.

>Look
It's pitch black.
>Inventory
You are carrying a crowbar, a pinata, Richard Nixon, and a handbag.
>Open handbag
The handbag is empty.
>Search Richard Nixon
You find nothing of interest.
>Search pinata
The pinata is full of pudding.
>Go west
You can't go that way.
>Go east
You can't go that way.
>Go north
You can't go that way.
>Go south
You can't go that way.
>Then how do I get out?
Beats me. Your fault for walking into a dark room.
>RESTORE

ARGH.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:46 am UTC

The grue would get you before you hit Nixon.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands It's an advanced D&D game based in Athas. Released in 1993. I replay it every so often.

The sequel is good, but very buggy.

Download it here. Near as I can tell, it and it's sequel have been released as freeware, so A-OK. - ST
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

InstinctSage wrote:With little dudes!

Oh look! Stoo is falling over on the ice!

I played Cannon Fodder on one of those "1001 games for $20!" CDs. It was the best game on that entire thing. I'd still play it.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

"Go to your brother,
Kill him with your gun.
Leave him lying in his uniform,
dying in the suuun.

War!
It's never been so much fun!"

The damn thing got so bloody hard later on.

Not least because I was so OCD about never letting my men die ever.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Did anyone else get into Vangers?

To me it was like some kind of delightful mix of Death Rally and Wing Commander: Privateer. I lost my copy, and I want a new one. I miss that game and I've always gone back to it every few years.

Coin

Postby Coin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

Aw, Vangers was insanely fun. I never got very far though as I was "sent to prison in some shitty little car" on the second map after having spent a lot of time buying a new sweet car.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

slaxor

Postby slaxor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

I actually have most of these. I still love playing around with Morrowind mods.

I liked a game called Urban Assault. It was a fairly unique combination of FPS and RTS.

Coin

Postby Coin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:57 am UTC

slaxor wrote:I actually have most of these. I still love playing around with Morrowind mods.
I liked a game called Urban Assault. It was a fairly unique combination of FPS and RTS.

Yep, that was a great concept. A single player game called Hostile Waters, which was very good indeed, was released a few years later using the same concept.
It all harks back to the old Carrier Command which I also enjoyed greatly :)
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

slaxor

Postby slaxor » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:02 am UTC

Carrier Command, hm? Let me just fire up my bitorrent...

And I think it goes without saying that Nethack aged well.

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:42 am UTC

Heh, what have I done? Carrier Command is almost impossible to finish, and even if you do it will take you several years.
There are 64 islands to capture and you are fighting a carrier much more advanced than yours. Its topspeed is higher than your aircraft making it almost impossible to catch, unless you catch it at a beach.
Good luck! :)

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

InstinctSage wrote:Did anyone else get into Vangers?

To me it was like some kind of delightful mix of Death Rally and Wing Commander: Privateer. I lost my copy, and I want a new one. I miss that game and I've always gone back to it every few years.

I've never heard of this. I'm intrigiued.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

Even if you can rustle up a demo, I remember getting sucked into that for about 4 hours straight. Making runs to Podish during the eelerection, becoming a king of beebs. I knew what they needed, down in the golden incubator.

Come to think of it, the language in that game is awfully seedy...

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

Starcraft.

10+ years later I still find myself playing a little.

Spuddly

Postby Spuddly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I hate to play the "you kids get off the thread role", but I bet a Halo vs Halflife argument would work very well...in a thread that isn't about games that are still good with the passage of time.

Amen.
These nubs should be discussing the merits of Marathon, Red Alert, Warcraft (the one where you built roads), and Diablo.

None of this "DoW is better than SC" nonsense. DoW is what, a year old? Has a horrible single player- there's no story, and you just play through a series of skirmishes on the skirmish maps. The only saving grace of that game was that it was set in the Grim, Dark Future. Starcraft is 11 years old, and there are thousands of people on battle.net right now, playing it. It also happens to be 11 years old and still better than DoW. DoW, hasn't aged, and I can bet you that in 10 years, no one is going to be playing DoW. I don't think anyone will even know about it, much less have an entire country that treats it as a national sport.

Starcraft vs. C&C, now that's a debate worthy of a thread about games that aged well.
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

I know all of these games. DoW is still miles better than SC. SC simply isn't a very good game, in my opinion. Not bad, but very much mediocre. DoW is an excellent game, which still has a thriving online community (5 years after release, which isn't well-aged but is damn respectable all the same), a better setting, and way better gameplay.

One of my biggest pet peeves, by far, about gamers is the tendency that older gamers have to dismiss dislike of their cherished older games as "You damn kids just didn't experience the good old stuff". Guess what: I have, and I find it lacking. We can bicker about whether or not I'm insane to think that, but don't write my opinion off as the result of inexperience.

Spuddly

Postby Spuddly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:don't write my opinion off as the result of inexperience.

Too late, young 'un.
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

Spuddly wrote:
bigstrat2003 wrote:don't write my opinion off as the result of inexperience.

Too late, young 'un.

Out of curiosity: how old are you? You may be older than me, but you're probably not so much older that I qualify as "young 'un" :P

My point is that when you say that someone who doesn't appreciate the old games you do must be unable to do so due to age, you are making a generalization that is simply wrong. There's no mythical quality about the games you like that makes them unassailable, or means that everyone must enjoy them. You can be a seasoned gamer and still think that some "classic" games really weren't all that great, much like being a new gamer doesn't preclude you from enjoying those games.

Also, I should have mentioned this in my last post, but SC vs C&C isn't a good debate at all. Warcraft vs C&C, that's a debate.

Takran

Postby Takran » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

Starcraft and Warcraft 2 are obvious choices for me. Subspace a.k.a. Continuum, played that sooo much when I was younger, and still find it fun to this day.

As for Half-Life / Halo being in this thread, I support Half-Life but not Halo, and here's why:

1. Halo is three years newer (five years on the PC!) than Half-Life, yet is not as fun.
2. Half-Life is still a fun game.
3. The OP states an old game is >5 years, so... it certainly qualifies. The almighty Starcraft that is getting much praise in this thread (and rightfully so) is a mere 8 months older than Half-Life.

being a new gamer doesn't preclude you from enjoying those games.

Doesn't necessarily preclude you, but it can give you a bias against enjoying them because you (hypothetically, I don't know how old you are) weren't around when some of these games were in their prime, so they may seem less enjoyable than someone who is older than you but has similar taste in games would find them. Older gamers are more likely to be willing to look past the typical scars of time (read: graphics), regardless of their taste in games.

Also, years in actual age are very different when measured as to how old of a "PC gamer" you are, due to the rate of the PC's advances. A matter of only a few years can make one very much your senior in the PC gaming world.

Spuddly

Postby Spuddly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

Both Tiberian Sun & Red Alert came out about the same time as Starcraft did.

DoW 1 is awful. All the maps are boring, the races virtually the same, the resource management non-existent, the setting idiotic, the single player is atrocious, the AI of your units retarded. The only thing it has going for it is pretty graphics (yawn), and a huge 40k fanbase. If it wasn't set in the gimdark darkgrim future of warhammer IN SPACE, no one would care. There's just no gameplay features worth speaking of. The bloodthirster looks cool; sure. Whoop-de-doo. I'll watch a movie if I want that sort of entertainment. It was like a horrible rendition of warcraft 3, in space. The whole feel of the game bugged me, too. Everything seemed ephemeral, like the units aren't really part of the maps. I'm not sure what it was, but it felt like there were maps, and then units, and nothing really connecting the two. Maybe it was just the tiny maps combined with horrible sight radius on the units. Is the grimdark future too dark? Can't see more than 40 feet away? Annoying.

I have trouble believing people enjoy playing DoW outside of some sort of twisted, masochistic tendency. Or they have a huge chubby for 40k. Likely both.

Now CoH was a good game. Relic/THQ did really well with that. The different factions actually feel different, the rock-paper-scissors gameplay works, and strategies are full & varied. CoH kicks the shit out of DoW, hands down.
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

Spuddly wrote:Both Tiberian Sun & Red Alert came out about the same time as Starcraft did.

Yeah, but when you invoke C&C in the same breath as other classic games, that implies the first one, which was not a contemporary of SC.

Spuddly wrote:DoW 1 is awful. All the maps are boring, the races virtually the same, the resource management non-existent, the setting idiotic, the single player is atrocious, the AI of your units retarded. The only thing it has going for it is pretty graphics (yawn), and a huge 40k fanbase. If it wasn't set in the gimdark darkgrim future of warhammer IN SPACE, no one would care. There's just no gameplay features worth speaking of. The bloodthirster looks cool; sure. Whoop-de-doo. I'll watch a movie if I want that sort of entertainment. It was like a horrible rendition of warcraft 3, in space. The whole feel of the game bugged me, too. Everything seemed ephemeral, like the units aren't really part of the maps. I'm not sure what it was, but it felt like there were maps, and then units, and nothing really connecting the two. Maybe it was just the tiny maps combined with horrible sight radius on the units. Is the grimdark future too dark? Can't see more than 40 feet away? Annoying.

You and I apparently didn't play the same game. The maps aren't generally that great, but they never ever are, because they're there to be functional, not some sort of centerpiece. The maps in DoW provide a nice battlefield, which is all you can ask out of any map. The races really aren't anything like each other in how they play (and once you start getting to the newer races, like Sisters of Battle or Necrons, they give them special mechanics to set them apart, even though their unit balance might resemble another race). And sight radius? Huh? The sight radius is about the same as it is in any other game I play. It's certainly not something which is ever noticeable.

Also, it's ironic that you say it's War3 in space (and I dispute that that's true, what with the fact that you field bigger armies, with less micro, and no emphasis on heroes), since SC is just War2 in space. Surely, by that criteria, you should be hating on both games.

Spuddly wrote:I have trouble believing people enjoy playing DoW outside of some sort of twisted, masochistic tendency. Or they have a huge chubby for 40k. Likely both.

I don't just enjoy it, I consider it the best damn RTS ever made. Not because I'm a huge 40K fan, either. DoW was my introduction to 40K. The game impressed me on its own merits.

Spuddly wrote:Now CoH was a good game. Relic/THQ did really well with that. The different factions actually feel different, the rock-paper-scissors gameplay works, and strategies are full & varied. CoH kicks the shit out of DoW, hands down.

CoH is good, but not as good as DoW. Units (except tanks) are too fragile, and there's generally too much micro involved in trying to kill tanks, both of which drag the game down. Seriously, rear armor hits are fucking awful, and should not have been put in the game. Ever. Also a step back from DoW is the restriction on reinforcing squads. DoW got it right when squads were reinforcable anywhere on the map.

Both games are still way the hell better than SC, though. Hell, War2 is better than SC, and it came out before SC.

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 am UTC

Personally I'd love to hear arguments on what makes Warcraft 2 a better game than Starcraft.
I'm all ears, er, eyes.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:18 am UTC

Just a question:

What exactly makes StarCraft so bad? I didn't play it until about three years ago, and I love it. In my opinion it is by far the best RTS ever. Relic's games, to me, look more like RTTs than RTS'.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:21 am UTC

DoW and CoH are most definitely still RTS games, but Relic has been moving more and more towards RTT (See: DoW 2). I quite enjoyed Dawn of War 1 over Starcraft. Starcraft was just kind of...boring... It certain;y can't be attributed to my love of 40k, I didn't even know of 40k's existence until that game, and even then, until I looked it up, I didn't even know it was based on something else.

So how about we all shut up about which game is better because you will all never convince each other otherwise.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:56 am UTC

So, about that Arcanum...

Steampunk/Magic Isometric RPG - HOW WAS THIS NOT MORE POPULAR!?!?!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:25 am UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:CoH is good, but not as good as DoW. Units (except tanks) are too fragile, and there's generally too much micro involved in trying to kill tanks, both of which drag the game down. Seriously, rear armor hits are fucking awful, and should not have been put in the game. Ever. Also a step back from DoW is the restriction on reinforcing squads. DoW got it right when squads were reinforcable anywhere on the map.

I just want to point out that CoH is attempting to be realistic. Infantry are fragile and get mowed down by tanks, and tanks are built with heavier armor on the front and sides than the rear. It's like a spiritual successor to Close Combat in many ways, and I love it for that.
If you ask me, comparing all these games is nigh on ridiculous. They're exploring different avenues under the banner of RTS.

About Arcanum...

I still haven't finished it. Every time I start a game I get bogged down. It's like... I go into a new town and start exploring, talkign to folks, picking up quests, killing bad guys, collecting loot, upgrading my equipment... But after 8 hours of play I'm like, halfway done with the town and have advanced from level 2 to 4. The game exhausts me. It's too much.

So I put it down, forget where I'm at, and start again months later.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:56 am UTC

Im sure few would agree, but I loved the exile series (Exile 3). So so huge in content, great RPG elements, got really hard, heaps of different enemy progressions....
They remade them all with updated graphics, but me like old stuff best.

holmer

Postby holmer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 am UTC

HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC 3!

It is pure awsome, I still play it about once a year, it's incredible.

I also wholehearted agree with diablo 2, I have recently started playing it again, and for an entire month so far :D

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

As others have said, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is one of the best games ever made (even if installing it on modern PCs is a total pain due to the bugs in the system specs checking). Other games that have been mentioned that I'll throw my vote behind also are Lemmings, Civ2, Starcraft, Half-Life and, of course, UFO.

I've not seen mention of a couple of games I personally consider infinitely replayable classics - MechCommander (MechCommander 2 is good, but nowhere near the awesomeness that was the original) and Frontier: Elite 2. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention Theme Hospital, which my younger cousins and my sister have played regularly since they first played it at our house in '98 (I think my sister completed it for the first time ever last year).

One final thing I really have to mention is Return to Castle Wolfenstein and it's freeware sequel Enemy Territory. I run ET LANs every six months or so, and have played it for literally thousands of hours constantly since it was released in 2003. Best team based FPS ever made, period.

Huge difference between abandonware and freeware. Freeware's legal to distribute, for one. - ST

Spuddly

Postby Spuddly » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

Heroes of Might & Magic III is really good. I still play that occasionally with friends.
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

aireoth

Postby aireoth » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Battlezone 2, I wish I knew people that still play it. One of the greats, two endings depending on player choice, a choice that is directly tied into a plot. The plot was pretty good too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlezone_2

Canon Fodder is great as well, I'm a fan of Star Control 2 and Star Flight 2 for some old time experiences.

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

Didnt bother reading through all 7 other pages of items, so, here goes.

Doom, Hexen, Quake, pretty much any 3D id software game
And of course, the ultimate!
Thief (any of them)
Including Deadly Shadows.

We could also go into Oddworld territory, and mention good old Abe.

Or perhaps UT? Anyone?

There are so many, I could go on for days.
Oh yea, for the id software thing, who else has spent hours trying to get that perfect screenshot, with 69000 score, 69 health, 69 bullets left, and 69 armor left?
Last edited by TheOtherDOOMGuy on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

And on my car:
Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

TheRatKing

Postby TheRatKing » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

While Arcanum is still very much one of my top ten games, I don't think that it has aged as well as Fallout or PS:T. There is very little hand holding, and the interface is horrible. There is so much to do and explore, and yet the pc gets railroaded on a (mostly) linear path, especially at the beginning. Whenever I replay it, I have a hard time getting past the Black Mountain Clan, simply because I don't like areas that force you into fighting.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

dbsmith wrote:Im sure few would agree, but I loved the exile series (Exile 3). So so huge in content, great RPG elements, got really hard, heaps of different enemy progressions....
They remade them all with updated graphics, but me like old stuff best.

go-go exile! Now I just need a MAC OS 9 simulator...
Omni.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:12 am UTC

various people wrote:stuff about Heroes of Might and Magic III

I only hinted at it a few pages back, but my favorite in the series is II. For some reason I didn't like III as much, though I should go back and try it again some time.

Now that I think about it, the limited edition of Heroes V that I bought has III and IV too. I need to go dig that up.

Other older games that I prefer to more recent releases:
Unreal Tournament 2004 > UT3
Baldur's Gate 2 > Neverwinter Nights 1/2 (for that matter, the 20-year-old Gold Box AD&D games like Pool of Radiance are still fun for me)

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:40 am UTC

Cannon Fodder fans must watch this

Everyone else should as well. But especially the fodder fans :)

Back on topic, I'll echo SecondTalon (oh, I see what you did there) from the first page: the original X-COM: UFO Defence still gets a play on my PC. Bought through Steam (the whole series for $5) it runs just dandy on Vista (though feels a tad slow in places).

Hitoversit

Postby Hitoversit » Wed May 20, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

I found Arcanum incredibly difficult to get into, it wasn't coded very well, the multiplayer was done even worse and was absolute fail for the first few weeks. The concept of the game was great, I loved the focus of magic vs. technology and the social stratification, etc. The game itself though was largely fail, and it's those more passive bonuses that make the game notable. I made the mistake of playing a thief who relied on stealth, needless to say when I hit places that forced you into the fight I couldn't succeed. I hear that snipers did well, and I played a life/death mage in multiplayer since they were so overpowered.

To toss a few other games down:

Loom was fairly outstanding, if not short. Definitely a lucasarts game people should play. I would hope that its concept is picked up by the guitar hero/rock band crowd and a proper RPG can be made from it. I think we can all see how music/magic can be popular from Ocarina of Time.

X-Wing and Tie Fighter, definitely.

Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries is one I have very fond memories of. Looking back the graphics are crap and the game is fairly linear with the appearance of it being open. Management of pilots and mechs make it more interesting than the neverending supply of clan mechs in the originals. MIV: Mercs was okay as well, and the gaming community has really made some nice mods for it, but it's still not an 'old' game.

Return to “Gaming”