Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Intrigued
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby Intrigued » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

Anyone playing it? I picked it up last night and have it waiting for me at home, but haven't gotten a chance to take a hack at it yet. From the videos I've seen it looks pretty awesome. It's like an fps but medieval, and far more melee focused. There's 4 classes - basically tank/rogue/bruiser/archer from what I can tell. It grew up out of a halflife 2 mod. I hope to get in a solid chunk of play later tonight. It seems like there's a fair amount of loadout/weapon choices and stuff, so there's some extra strategy layered on top.

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 835
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

Seems fairly obligatory to link this video here. (Warning, NSFW language.) Fairly hilarious exploration of the game, some of its more entertaining bugs, and some of the shenanigans you can get up to.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

IcedT
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby IcedT » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 am UTC

I just bought it on a Steam sale and spent maybe a half hour at it, but it hasn't really impressed me that much. I think War of the Roses has spoiled me for competitive online hack-and-slash.

Intrigued
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby Intrigued » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:16 pm UTC

I've seen mention of WotR in the forums, but I've never touched it. Picked up Chivalry because a friend had it and I've been enjoying it. What's better about WotR?

IcedT
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby IcedT » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 pm UTC

Intrigued wrote:I've seen mention of WotR in the forums, but I've never touched it. Picked up Chivalry because a friend had it and I've been enjoying it. What's better about WotR?

I like it better because it has a historical setting and it's much more detail-oriented, plus I like the camera and controls more. Chivalry is much simpler and it doesn't give me a history boner.

Examples of WotR's aspects being deeper would be the armor and perk systems, the classless and very customizable profiles, the wide variety of specializations for your weapons and armor, adding cavalry into the mix, and the extra control and precision you get in blocking and attacking.

I'll give you an example. Right now in WotR, this is my main profile:
Spoiler:
Image


So that's a guy in heavy armor, with a medium helmet that protects the face pretty well but impedes my vision a little. My primary weapon is a spear, which I can use two-handed for more reach and power or with a shield for more defense. I've customized that spear so that I wield it with the Imperial fighting style (slow but powerful, compared to the quick Milanese style), standard steel and a convex grind on the edges to increase damage at the cost of some durability. The sidearm is an Italian side sword, also wielded Imperial-style for power, but forged from Toledo steel and with a hollow grind to specialize it towards piercing armor, plus a balanced pommel that makes it handle better at the cost of a little extra encumbrance. Because he's well-armored, he's slow to move and strike but pretty well-protected from cutting attacks- it doesn't do me much good against armor-piercing weapons like picks or halberds though, and strong slashes can still pass through the joints in his armor at the elbows, knees, hands and throat. The face is still a little open so it's difficult but not impossible to score massive damage on him with a headshot. The perk loadout makes him a little quicker on his feet and better at healing, plus a few extra abilities to use in close fighting. In general, he's a heavy guy specialized at killing other heavy guys.

Compared to this I think you can see how I feel Chivalry is a little shallow by comparison. Not a bad thing, but it's not my preference.

Derek
Posts: 2179
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

I haven't played either game, but this video shows some of the deeper combat mechanics in Chivalry. It looks like it's actually quite deep. Maybe less focused on stats, but more on handling the combat.

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby EmptySet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:07 am UTC

IcedT wrote:Compared to this I think you can see how I feel Chivalry is a little shallow by comparison. Not a bad thing, but it's not my preference.


Being complicated isn't the same as being deep, nor is being uncomplicated synonymous to being shallow. Chess is not automatically more deep than Go because it has a long list of rules about how every piece moves differently and you can't jump over pieces except with a knight and can't move two pieces and once except when you're castling and so on and so on. While Chivalry certainly doesn't have the degree of customisation or the historical stuff that WotR has, I think it's pretty debatable to say that it has a shallower melee combat system.

Also, as a side point, I find Chivalry does a much better job of making it feel like weapons actually have weight and impact. In WotR everyone looks like they're waving wifflebats around.

Intrigued
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby Intrigued » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

Yeah, that all looks like pretty awesome customization. I'm not about to put myself into the market for a second first person slasher at the moment though, one is more than enough, and chivalry has been a ton of fun. I did some poking around and saw a lot of people saying they preferred chivalry's combat, so I'm happy where I am. I don't need a million options like that, I have my tanking anti-tanker loadout (maul + sword/board for closing on archers) and that's plenty for me to think about. I'll keep my eyes on WotR for the future though.

Thanks for posting that video, seems like a good one. I do pretty well generally, but pretty poorly sometimes, and never extremely well, like I see some people do consistently. There's a lot of advanced tactics in there to try to incorporate. I think I need to play the game more and push my limits a little. At the moment, I feel like I'm playing overly defensive, and am trying to work on getting more aggressive with attacks after blocks and dodges. I'm pretty decent at the defensive part, but it uses up stamina, so you can't do it all day. I was doing some of the mouse-dragging yesterday and it does seem like a really effective option. In the chaos of team multiplayer matches, feinting seems a lot harder to use effectively, especially for people who are just spamming attacks anyway.

The big question: are you guys running 1st person or 3rd person? I can't tell which I like more and I keep switching back and forth. I usually use 1st person on archers, sometimes switching when going into melee. With meleers I've been mostly using 3rd person because of the extra awareness it adds for where people are moving and if they come up behind you, but 1st person seems like it might be better for a 1v1 fight. I also find in 3rd person that I end up aiming low to keep my camera in a position that looks comfortable, where I should be trying to get in headshots.

IcedT
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby IcedT » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
IcedT wrote:Compared to this I think you can see how I feel Chivalry is a little shallow by comparison. Not a bad thing, but it's not my preference.


Being complicated isn't the same as being deep, nor is being uncomplicated synonymous to being shallow. Chess is not automatically more deep than Go because it has a long list of rules about how every piece moves differently and you can't jump over pieces except with a knight and can't move two pieces and once except when you're castling and so on and so on. While Chivalry certainly doesn't have the degree of customisation or the historical stuff that WotR has, I think it's pretty debatable to say that it has a shallower melee combat system.

Also, as a side point, I find Chivalry does a much better job of making it feel like weapons actually have weight and impact. In WotR everyone looks like they're waving wifflebats around.

Of course, and like I said I haven't exactly spent a ton of time with Chivalry. That's why I was careful to say it feels a little shallow to me, because it's possible there's a lot more going on at the game's highest levels and I just haven't figured it out yet. I just didn't feel roped in enough to take time off from WotR for it, is what I'm saying. And a big part of that is the fact that I'm a giant history nerd and Chivalry's art and setting didn't grab me in the same way WotR's did.

User avatar
Jack21222
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby Jack21222 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

I'm considering getting this game, if only because my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum specs for WotR. Does anybody know if an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS can handle Chivalry?
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Jack21222 wrote:I'm considering getting this game, if only because my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum specs for WotR. Does anybody know if an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS can handle Chivalry?

It seems VERY poorly optimized.

It's free this weekend, so I installed it. Apparently, if you're aiming a crossbow while crouching and press reload, it breaks the game. I don't even want to bother with it after that.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests